Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acetate Card

I want to make a card like this FANTASTIC one I found in the gallery by LSN... For T by LSN at Splitcoaststampers

Is someone able to give me an idea about how its done? Mainly in the way of do you have to use a certain thickness acetate to make the card stiff enough and do you just score the card as if its paper. It would be great if someone has a tutorial somewhere that I could have a read of. :-D

Thanks

Amy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Actetate that you find at your LSS will work fine. I have not tried to "score" acetate but I have folded it and used a bone folder to get a crisp edge and it works fabulously.
You may already know this...but the one of the tricks to getting a polished look on the back of an acetate card (due to adhesives)...is to secure a piece of cardstock on the very back of the card. This will cover up any adhesives you may have used attaching the piece inside the acteate---Hopefully that makes sense...

That is a wonderful card!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Thanks! Do you attach the stamped images and paper (you know, what ever you are decorating the card with) on the inside or on the card front?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 12:37 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by amywView Post
Thanks! Do you attach the stamped images and paper (you know, what ever you are decorating the card with) on the inside or on the card front?
The card in Linda's gallery lists her blogspot... "Stamping in the Moonlight"... if you click on that link (or HERE) it will take you to her blog where you will find detailed directions for this beautiful card... and another as well.

Hoping this helps... and do have a FUNtastic day!

Dancing Rain

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 AM   #5  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile acetate cards - a little info -but not a lot

HI!

I have made a few acetate cards, but I am no expert, just so you know!!!!

I have done a card in a class where we stamped in black on the front side of the acetate ( fish by magenta ) then stamped the identical image on glossy cardstock , coloured the glossy cardstock , and then put the acetate image on top of the the coloured image - ( lined up the two stamped images ) and it looked like the acetate was coloured. I believe we cut a rectangle out of two pieces of paper to border the acetate image and adhered the image within the border ( like a shaker card. )

In my gallery - it's hard to tell - is a mainly red looking card in which I stamped in White Stazon ink an image, and behind it is a so called polished stone ( alcohol inks background ) attached to a card. I stamped the white stazon ink on the front of the acetate in this case. I have a prima flower with a brad attached to it - and while I was going to punch a hole in the acetate to attach use the brad to attach to the main card in behind - I just glue dotted the brad ( broke off the stem with wire cutters ) and flower with glue dots, and then used glue dots in behind the prima flower on the backside of the acetate to adhere to the acetate.

The big thing to remember with acetate is that

You must use stazon ink as almost any other inks will not dry on acetate

When you stamp the image on acetate, be careful that it doesn't slide it as you do it. It takes a little practice!! ( the stamp and ink tend to slide on the acetate)

Hero arts makes acetate cards ( they have a front and a back - already folded ) though you don't need that!( that is what I used with my card though)

You can embosss on acetate, but make sure it is heat resistant acetate, or it will buckle. ( I've never tried it - but I have read that - so caution there! )

You can colour on the acetate, but only with permanent markers - not the regular kind as again they would never dry and just slide all over. I would colour on the backside of the acetate with that.

The card that you showed looked to me like she stamped on the flowers on the front of the acetate probably in white stazon ink .

I hope that that helps some. I am far far from an expert - and to be honest I have not embossed on acetate, but only read that you can do so - but only with heat resistant acetate.

Personal message the author of the card - she may have some ideas!

Good luck and I hope that helps a little!
:-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Thanks so much for your help. I made this one earlier but I am sure with more practice I will get better at it. I stuck the flower and cardstock to the front of the acetate and stamped around it with white stazon. My first stamp completely slipped! I practiced a bit and worked out you have to do it ever so lightly!

Here is the card I made in my blog... http : // stampinstuff . blogspot . com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 01:04 AM   #7  
Full of Malarky

Collage Stamp Hero Arts by debzi333 at Splitcoaststampers

There is a link to the one acetate card I uploaded - going to go have a gander at yours! Hope that my link actually works!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #8  
Full of Malarky

Thumbs up Checked out the card on your blog

You did a fantastic job with that! I couldn't use your link, but I copied and pasted in my browser. I guess your question is how to adhere that to a card???

Hmm. If you had made a two sided acetate card - you'd be done ( I've bought hero arts already made acetate cards ) but in your case, try to find a bit with that isn't too transparent on the acetate -say where you have the cardstock or the ribbon maybe? and adhere it onto the cardstock that way. The only problem is that by using the cardstock you eliminate the the completely tranparent area that I assuming you want to keep. In that case, I think it might be impossible to do so - but had you used already creased acetate so you had a full card - then no worries . I have a few ideas - but I think you do too.

Great job - and really pretty card!!!

good luck with your acetate adventures - it is a fun medium!!!! I wish I knew more!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

I just put another piece of cs on the back of the flower on the inside so it hid the tape. Then I can write on that bit too.

I put spaces in the link because it wouldnt let me post it. You just have to backspace the gaps to make a full link.

Thanks for your help Deborah... I can't wait to see if we get the stamp you used in that one. I love the swirls!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Default fun with acetate

Hey ya'll

I know this card has been posted so many times!! But I love it and it's one of my favorite type of acetate cards (even though it's not ALL acetate).

The direct link to the website is

hgtv.com
/hgtv/crafting/article/0,1789,HGTV_3352_1944842,00.html

but if it doesnt open I just went to google and typed in magic acetate card and it was the first thing that came up. It's the exact same website that helped me work through my first magic card and I use it all the time. Hope it helps and that you're able to have some fun with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Here is a card I made with acetate. It lets the other side of the 2-sided paper show thru. I used crystal effests on inconspicuous spaces on the pattern.
cut out with acetate backing polka DP by creativechoicedesigns at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Here are some cards I made In fact I will be making one to SWAP at convention.

Black and White French Flair by nuhddad at Splitcoaststampers

Black and White Clear Card by nuhddad by nuhddad at Splitcoaststampers

Clear Card 2 by nuhddad by nuhddad at Splitcoaststampers

Clear Card 2 by nuhddad by nuhddad at Splitcoaststampers

I put botht he flowers and cardstock on all three layers. Front, back of front and facing page. Some to show up the front and some to cover the glue dots.

I will be uploading my SAWP one soon.

I do using my scoring blade to score and just got the heavier Ink jet printer acetate to try to emboss on better. I does not appear to be as clear as the regular but will see what it does. You can stamp on it directly with staz on and then color with sharpies. I didn't take a picture of the butterfly one I done I will have to make another one and upload it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 05:16 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

my question is....i stamped the acetate with white craft ink...casing LSN... Forums at Splitcoaststampers it dry overnight, but still not dry...does it ever dry...?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

I don't know... I doubt it. I used white stazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggienstampsView Post
my question is....i stamped the acetate with white craft ink...casing LSN... Forums at Splitcoaststampers it dry overnight, but still not dry...does it ever dry...?
Unfortunately, No, it may never completely dry and can be easily rubbed off
:( Craft ink is intended for non-porous/slick surfaces (paper/regular cardstock)... unless it is embossed. Even some cardstocks have a slick surface that won't allow craft inks to properly dry.

Rather than tossing your project, you might try embossing it with either white or clear embossing powder... just be gentle on the heat. This will depend greatly on what type of acetate you have used... whether or not it can withstand some heat.

I would suggest in the future using StazOn white to stamp on acetate. It gives a crisp clear image and dries

Hoping this helps... and do have a FUNtastic day!

Dancing Rain

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes