Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2015, 03:59 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts
Default MMTPT374 ~ 09/29/2015 ~ Get Your Pumpkins On for the Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest!

WELCOME TO TEAPOT TUESDAY
THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING TEAPARTY
AND CHALLENGE #374

MMTPT374 Get Your Pumpkins On for the Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest

Note: Anyone is welcome to play! You automatically become a Teapotter the first time you play in our challenge. Also, you do not have to write a story. You just have to be inspired by the teapot or by the story about this week's location! Have fun! If this is your first Teapot Tuesday Challenge, please mention that in your commentary so we can be sure to greet you properly, in pure Teapot Tuesday fashion! Your participation in Destination Station is 100% voluntary and not at all required. Just have fun!

gabalot (Gabby) is our guest hostess for the Tickle challenge this month.
And here, in her own words, is Gabby's story - and an extra tasty challenge for you too!

For the past 10 yrs, Buttercup Mango and Pebbles Persimmon were elected to direct the HUGE Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest. Each year it got better and better and it brought thousands of patrons, bringing lots of much needed revenue to their small town. To pull it off and make it as good as it was, took many months of planning and support and participation of the entire town. As October approached, the town was all abuzz as everyone started gearing up to help deck out the entire town with festive fall and pumpkin displays. Everybody that is, except Octavian Russet Knight. You see, he ran against the gals for ten years straight and all ten years, he had lost by a landslide. As a result he whined and complained and was a real sourpuss. The gals tried to include him in the planning of the festival but he was stubborn and wanted everything his way. In fact, last spring, at the meeting where they announced that Buttercup and Pebbles had been elected the co-directors for the 2015 Pumpkin Fest, Octavian stood up, raised his fists to the ceiling and threatened to put a curse on them! The townspeople were shocked at his anger but laughed it off. No one had a clue that he had a long-hidden family secret which might help him make good on his threat! You see, Octavian was the great-great-great-great grandson of the infamous Wizard, Ansgar Yukon Gold Knight. Ansgar had been known for casting mostly good spells but he did have a mischievous side, too. Like the time he cast a spell giving the Victorian old folks dance club members frog legs for two days because they wouldn't let him dance. Would you? He stepped on countless toes and even knocked over a couple of dancing ladies! And then there was the time that he got mad that nobody bought his Gold Toad Cheese at his Pumpkin Fest booth so he cast a spell that brought 2,000 toads to town, who croaked 24/7 for three days straight. Talk about no sleep! Anyway ... moving on ...

Months had passed since the election and it was getting closer and closer to the Fest. Buttercup and Pebbles were getting more excited each day and getting together to talk about it as often. Last night they had a meeting, smack dab in the middle of their home-grown pumpkin patch, lit only by the glow of the candles in their carved Jack-o-lanterns and the white light of the moon. It was still, quiet, peaceful and not even a leaf was rustling in a tree. Then something strange happened. Much to their surprise, a wind came out of nowhere and the flames of the candles lighting their Jack-o-lanterns flickered. A minute later the wind blew them out. Then they heard a muffled voice in the distance but couldn't make out what it was saying. It seemed to be coming closer and getting louder, when suddenly, the voice was right above them, as well as, an image across the moon. It appeared to be a man wearing a big cape who had a pointed hat on his head, kind of like a wizard. They were scared for a minute but then smiled. They agreed that it must be Torch Midnight, the Fest's lighting and special effects expert trying to give them a scare! Both gals laughed and Pebbles yelled out "Okay, Torch, we got it! Thanks for the scare. It worked for a minute!" But it didn't stop. The shadow lingered and the voice they heard was just as muffled and loud. Buttercup and Pebbles both began feeling nervous, anxious and uneasy in their pumpkin patch. After a couple more minutes, they both jumped up and ran, heading as fast as they could down the lane toward their houses. They leaped and jumped over 100s of pumpkins along the way. They ran into their respective houses and locked themselves in. They called each other on their cell phones at the very same moment. Buttercup, out of breath, anxious and frantic blurted out "OMgosh, what just happened? Who did that? Who was that? I was spooked and suddenly I felt like I just had to just get away from all those pumpkins as fast as I could! I think I was actually scared of them!" Pebbles couldn't say quick enough that she had felt exactly the same way!

They called the town doctor, who rushed to their homes to check them out. It didn't take long for him to diagnose them with pumpkin fever and a bad case of Cucurbitophobia, a fear of pumpkins! They were dismayed and shocked! Neither of them got much sleep that night. All they could think about is the Pumpkin Fest and how without them, the town could make it happen. The next day they communicated to the Fest clerk and others by cell phone as they could not leave their homes for fear of seeing a pumpkin! That night when the townspeople gathered for the Pumpkin Fest meeting, they were greeted by Octavian Russet Knight. Not everyone had yet heard about Buttercup and Pebbles so they asked him why he was conducting the meeting and where were the girls? He told them they had come down with a severe, sudden case of pumpkin fever which had caused them to get Cucurbitophobia. Cora Coral, the Fest clerk said she had talked to them and indeed that was the case. The townspeople had no clue how they could make the Fest a success without the girls. Octavian told them not to worry and assured them that they would be just fine after the Pumpkin Fest and with his leadership, this would be the best Pumpkin Fest ever. Even at that, no one paid attention to him and certainly did not suspect him of being responsible for this dilemma in any way. His secret was well kept. As soon as Octavian started announcing all of the changes he was going to make, Cora stood up and told him and everyone there, that a new Pumpkin Fest director has to be elected and that just because he ran on the opposing ticket, he could not self-appoint himself as the replacement director! He disagreed but she quickly checked the by-laws on the Pumpkin Fest admin app and confirmed it. She said to everyone "Here it is in the by-laws! You can't self-appoint yourself and there has to be an election. Since there is no time for a formal election, I have an idea." Before Cora could even express her idea, Octavian quickly shot it down and tried to continue to take charge but was ignored. The townspeople said in unison, "Let's hear your idea Cora!" By this time, Knight knew his hopeful takeover was not to be. Since the townspeople didn't suspect him of having anything to do with Buttercup and Pebbles sudden onset, he decided to let well enough alone.

Cora Coral proceeded to tell them about about how a group called the Teapotters had helped many folks and children, towns, festivals, and last year they even helped Santa's wrapping elves themselves! She said they were a very creative, caring group and suggested Pumpkinville call them to assist. Cinnamon Moon, who owned the local massage and incense salon, chimed in to say she had heard they did good works all around and being that they were creative, surely they could help with pumpkin and Jack-o-lantern decorations, displays and designs. The townspeople informally voted "yes" and Cora and Cinnamon called them. Next thing you know, word spread like a fall bonfire and 42,000 Teapotters were enroute to Pumpkinville by car, van, bus, train and plane. They were going to save the Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest!

End note: Octavian's lukewarm heart was touched as he saw the Teapotters hustling and bustling about, so enthusiastically and willingly helping the town. They even took some of his ideas and suggestions which turned his sourpuss face to a smile. On the morning of the last day of the three-day celebration, he removed the spell he had cast on Buttercup and Pebbles so they could participate and enjoy the rest of the Fest. And they did.

CHALLENGE TRANSLATION: Get your pumpkins on ... your cards that is! Hee. Bring your most creative pumpkin and/or Jack-o-lantern designs that will make this Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest Tickle a huge success!

EPEC: Treats if you share your favorite pumpkin recipe in the challenge thread ... and a wedge of pumpkin pie, with or without fresh whipped cream, if you enclose your recipe with your Tickle card.

DESTINATION STATION:
This week our destination is each other! Once a month, we send our cards to each other! A little payback and reward to the teapotters for always sending their cards to the recipient of the Destination Station.

--->I have started this new thread in the Teapot Tuesday Extras Forum. If you are participating in the card exchange please go to this thread and follow the instructions.

Here is a Quick Link to the MMTPT374 Challenge Gallery

Here is Gabby's card : MMTPT374 Teapotter Pumpkin Fest by gabalot

Be sure to you use KEYWORD MMTPT374 in your upload and post a comment here so we can all see your card!

If you are confused about these challenges, see the first sticky post of this thread for more information. There is also a directory of individual challenges.
Attached Thumbnails
MMTPT374 ~ 09/29/2015 ~ Get Your Pumpkins On for the Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest!-pumpkinteapot.jpg   MMTPT374 ~ 09/29/2015 ~ Get Your Pumpkins On for the Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest!-cookies1.jpg   MMTPT374 ~ 09/29/2015 ~ Get Your Pumpkins On for the Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest!-cookies2.jpg   MMTPT374 ~ 09/29/2015 ~ Get Your Pumpkins On for the Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest!-fallpumpkins.jpg  

Last edited by Ksnurse; 10-06-2015 at 04:26 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default " Oh My...Tickle me punkins "

What a super fun and great story. Love the ending where all things end with togetherness...YAHHH...what a super group...Here is my pumpin for the party...can't wait to see more...HUGS
We as people are raindrops of colorful ink , falling down Crisp and Clear, each a different shade more vibrant then the last, but once we realize at the bottom of an endless abyss we all fall into the same inkpot forming one color, only then can we come together as one My son.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 02:10 AM   #3  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Here's mine - and a close-up shot too:
MMTPT374 Shake That Pumpkin

MMTPT374 ~ 09/29/2015 ~ Get Your Pumpkins On for the Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest!-mmtpt374detailc22.jpg

And here's a recipe. Actually, it's not the one I was going to share, which was an Argentinian Carbonada (beef stew). Interesting, Belgian beef in ale is carbonade, I must look up the derivation.

Anyway...when I went to get the recipe, which I have made, the one two pages before it in my book is Toulouse-Lautrec's Gratin of Pumpkin. I think I might try and pick up a small pumpkin in town this week and try this one. Many of the French painters were also keen cooks and lovers of food; I have a book of Monet's favourite recipes!

Toulouse-Lautrec's Gratin of Pumpkin
2lb pumpkin
flour seasoned with salt and pepper,
oil
1 lb sliced onions
8 ounces tomatoes peeled and thickly sliced
salt, pepper and sugar
breadcrumbs
butter

Peel the pumpkin, remove the pips and cut into slices about 1/4" thick "and as wide as half of your palm" - so about 1 1/2"??
Dredge them in the seasoned flour and fry in oil till golden but not brown.
Do this in batches till they are all cooked, drain on kitchen towel.
In another pan cook the onions gently in some oil till they are soft but not coloured. Add the tomatoes, raise the heat a little and cook slightly till you have a moist mixture of onions and tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper and a little sugar.
In a gratin dish, arrange alternate layers of pumpkin slices and the onion/tomato mix, seasoning more if needed. Finish with a layer of pumpkin, scatter the breadcrumbs evenly over it and drizzle with some melted butter.
Bake at 180�C / 350�F / Gas 4 for about 45 minutes. If necessary, brown the top under the grill and serve immediately.

Looking forward to seeing what other recipes people will share! Thanks for such a fun challenge, Gabby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 02:14 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thanks to all you 42,000 Teapotters who are going to get your pumpkins on to make the Pumpkinville Pumpkin Fest a success!

Teapotter Pumpkin Fest

Don't forget to share your pumpkin recipe!

Last edited by gabalot; 09-29-2015 at 02:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 02:51 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for a terrific story Gabby. Hallowean is not commonly celebrated in Australia, neither is pumpkin pie....I think we might be missing out!! here is my Bird-o-lantern card.

MMTPT374 Bird-o-lanterns by susie australia - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 04:43 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Here is my card.

Happy Fall With Pumpkins by buddy'smama - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 04:59 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts

I found another pretty pumpkin pic and fussy cut it out several times and popped it up three times. Such a fun challenge Sabrina!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 05:02 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up Sula Bearden's Pumpkin Sheet Cake

SULA BEARDEN'S PUMPKIN SHEET CAKE

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray non-stick spray evenly on bottom and up sides of your 10 x 15.5 x 1 (or thereabouts) jelly roll pan. If you prefer you can use shortening or butter and dust it with flour. Set aside.

I use my Kitchenetics but you can use whatever you have--KitchenAid, electric hand mixer, a large mixing spoon or spatula.

2 c pumpkin puree (I have only used Libby's canned puree in this recipe)
1 c canola oil (other oils okay but NOT olive oil)
1 t baking soda*
2 c sugar*
4 eggs
2 c flour
1T cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t nutmeg (fresh grated is best!)
1 t salt*
1/2 to 3/4 c walnut or pecan pieces, optional

In mixer, combine pumpkin, oil, sugar and baking soda. Add sugar and mix well.

In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients. Use large whisk to combine. (Can also use sifter or fine mesh strainer.) Combine dry with wet and mix til smooth but DO NOT mix excessively.

Stir in nuts if desired or you can sprinkle them on top of the cake after frosting.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Use spatula to evenly spread batter. Bake in your preheated, 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. DO NOT over bake or it will lose moisture.

Cream Cheese Frosting

In mixer blend til smooth and creamy:

6 T butter
1 t milk (I use fat free but you can use any or cream)
1 - 3 oz pkg cream cheese (I use one-half of an 8 oz brick)
1 t "real" vanilla
1-3/4 c powdered sugar

Frost cake while warm for a glaze or when cool for a thin layer of frosting. I double this recipe because some of my friends have asked for "extra" frosting and inevitably I know I'll be making another cake shortly after the first one due to how quick it seems to disappear. Heehee.

NOTES that you might find informative, helpful or useless--

*BAKING SODA - 1 tsp of baking soda contains about 1100 mg of sodium. Potassium Bicarbonate has zero sodium and has the same leavening power! I bought a large bottle of it from my local Mom and Pop pharmacy for about $7. I have subbed it in equal amounts (tsp for tsp) in many recipes for baked goods and it is as effective as baking soda. It does not negatively alter the taste. Note that combining this with a sugar substitute (i.e. Splenda) does alter the taste and texture. Any change in your diet may negatively affect your health so check with your doctor or read up on it before using it.
*SALT - 1 tsp of table salt contains about 2325 mg of sodium and usually has additives to keep it from clumping. 1 tsp of kosher salt has 1760 mg of sodium and usually no additives. If the kosher salt is too grainy for your baked goods, you can always grind it to a finer consistency.
*SUGAR - I have also altered the sugar in this recipe to half white and half granulated Splenda sugar substitute. It tastes good to me and the family, however, you can taste the difference compared to using 100% "real" sugar.
PUMPKIN - You can use fresh baked pumpkin that you have pureed in this recipe, however, sometimes even after straining it with cheesecloth, it is more watery than canned puree. To thicken it a bit, you might want to add a binder. You'd have to research what to use to do that because I don't know.
*SPICES - This combination of spices can get expensive and if you don't use them often enough, they will "go bad" sooner than later. Like a lot of spices, these contain oils that can become rancid, bitter, or even sometimes go flat. If you do not have all of the spices called for, you can use a ready-made pumpkin pie spice blend. If memory serves me correctly, as I like a spicy tasting cake, I have used 2 or more T of the blend in this recipe. *PAN SIZE - IF you don't have a jelly roll pan, you can make this cake in a 9 x 13 x 2 (1/4 sheet) pan but it requires about 45 to 55 minutes to bake. The amount of batter this recipe makes will NOT fill a 1/2 sheet cake pan. That would require about 1-1/2 or closer to two recipes.

HAPPY FALL COOKING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #9  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Interesting info, Gabby - the cook in me always enjoys reading that sort of stuff.
I can tell you that your standard ovens are probably bigger than ours - I have American cookie sheets from Crate & Barrel that have never fitted in any of my ovens :-(.
Your recipe sounds delicious!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

Really fun story and challenge Gabby!! My "recipe" isn't a recipe at all..it's buy Hershey's pumpkin spice kisses (have you tried these?? they are heavenly!!)...unwrap and eat!!! :rolleyes:

Miss Pumpkinhead
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

I have bought and/or built six homes. I have more measurements in my head than I care to remember. Hee. The standard U.S. standard oven is 30" across and 36" high. They are 25" deep, an inch deeper than our standard cupboard which is 24. On a lot of the international house buying TV shows I've seen, I have noticed the ovens and kitchens seem considerably smaller. Not all by any means but some. Glad you thought the "Notes" were interesting. Having had my own catering business, loving to cook for so many yrs and more recently doing a lot of research for health reasons, I have learned a lot so I figured I'd share some of it.

I was fascinated by the thought of slicing and frying pumpkin. NEVER heard of it or would have thought of it. As well, combining it with tomatoes and onions is unusual, too. IF you do try it, do tell me what you think of it. The cake IS delicious and if you want to try it, my suggestion is to halve the recipe and bake it in a smaller pan, testing for doneness accordingly. Otherwise, make a full recipe and divide it into two smaller pans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Interesting info, Gabby - the cook in me always enjoys reading that sort of stuff.
I can tell you that your standard ovens are probably bigger than ours - I have American cookie sheets from Crate & Barrel that have never fitted in any of my ovens :-(.
Your recipe sounds delicious!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's my card.
I just noticed there are recipes on this thread. I love the taste of pumpkin (and did so long before pumpkin spice latte was a thing), so I have to check these out.
Teapot Tuesday participant

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Here's my pumpkin:

MMTPT374 Nature Turns To Gold by jodylb - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
QFTD 258
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #14  
Favorites Team Notifier

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Finished or not, here it is...late!
TPT Pumpkin by Stamperrobin - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Default Newton's Trick or Treat

Here is a card for this week's Teapotter Challenge!

Newton's Trick or Treat by zineth - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #16  
BRAK Alumna

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally made it a day late. Here is my card.

MMTPT374, Pumpkin Time by yabbadodo - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

TFL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2015, 04:34 AM   #17  

ell I dont cook or bake so no recipes for me.... sigh :( BUT... I do have a fun Pumpkin with adorable nice mischievous mice to share here; MMTPT374, Pumpkin Carving by Cards_By_America - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally got mine done, here it is The Pumpkin Fairy by Covington Crafter - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers TFL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Finally getting this posted! CAS342 MMTPT374 Pumpkin Time by annasmith - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes