Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh wow!! sounds like a ton of fun! Unfortunately I have to work all day but I'll try to play along on Sunday!!

KRAFTIN' KIMMIE STAMPS
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #122  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerWarView Post
Here's a question for everyone -- When you follow along with a day of challenges like this, do you do all of them or do you just pick a choose a couple? I'm trying to decide if I should just try 2 or so for my first time, or if I should just go all in... Suggestions? :confused:
Just jump in with both feet and have fun. It's not a timed challenge, like VSN, so you don't have to worry so much about the clock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #123  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerWarView Post
Here's a question for everyone -- When you follow along with a day of challenges like this, do you do all of them or do you just pick a choose a couple? I'm trying to decide if I should just try 2 or so for my first time, or if I should just go all in... Suggestions? :confused:
In post #40 it looks as though there are just 7 challenges for the whole day. You can easily do that.
When I first joined Splitcoast, VSN only had 7 to 10 challenges and I would do all of them. Admittedly, some of those cards were put together in such a hurry that I wonder, "What was I thinking?" when I see them in my gallery. Then again, it's great fun to look back and realize the improvement I've made since then.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #124  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Woot!!!

the countdown is on!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #125  
Die Cut Diva

Get your supplies ready!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #126  
Stazon Splitcoast

Will have to make time later on Saturday night and on Sunday as I'm busy all Saturday until about 4:00 p.m. -- grrr!! Hope to be able to do a few of the challenges at least. Sounds like a great way to spend some time. Hopefully my DH and two kids will agree and I can get some time away
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #127  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm scared to death but I think I am going to give this a try. I don't have anything better to do tomorrow anyhow, and if I did, well that would have to change!

for the most part, I think I understand what is going on. But, I do still have a few questions that I hope somebody can answer for me...

- Will certain stamp sets, papers, colors, etc be required or can you just work with what you have. I just discoved SU not to long ago so I don't have a lot to work with. Do I need to decide which challenges I am going to tackle based on what I have available to me or on what interests me

- Do we have to limit ourselves to SU products or can we use supplies from other companies

- As mentioned in the quote below, will there be a heads up as to what supplies we will need so 'stations' can be set up ahead of time and if so, when will this information be provided

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside RoseView Post
Some things I learned in my trial by fire crash course that I wished I knew up front before the VSN are to gather ahead of time and organize/lay out any supplies they tell you to have on hand, set up areas for cutting, stamping, and embossing, have an area already set up for photography so you can upload your pix, and consider joining the Fan Club. It's only about $25 and it allows you to upload pictures instantly and on Sundays. I find that to be the ultimate convenience, well worth the money. Your pix go right into the gallery, so you can access them, edit them, and have the location address instantly as well to post in the various threads where you need to post them.

Welcome, welcome! And HTH.
- And finally will there be a catagory for my craft ability/skills or will I have to embarass myself and upload my stuff with everybody else here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #128  
Glitter Queen

I'm just as scared as you!!!!!!!

Trying to get supplies set up and everything ready to go but have no idea what supplies we need or what tools we'll use.
If you find out anything, let me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #129  
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking rofl!

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelladcrockettView Post
OMIGOSH! My cousin is getting married that day, but I think I'm starting to feel ill...feels like the two-week bug!!!!! (That's so sad...I'm sooo addicted!!!)
that's hilarious! maybe you can go for the ceremony but be "ill" for the reception! lol!

i rescheduled my wcmd open house, so i'll be able to participate in this fun day of challenges and excitement!
~mirabella

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #130  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking Sounds Fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post

Who's ready for some card making craziness!?!?
I'm ready for card-making craziness! These challenges all look FUN!
See you tomorrow

BTW, if any of you are SCRAPPERS, Friday Night Scrap Challenge Starts at
8 EST. Come join the FUN! (here)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #131  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLView Post
I'm scared to death but I think I am going to give this a try. I don't have anything better to do tomorrow anyhow, and if I did, well that would have to change!

for the most part, I think I understand what is going on. But, I do still have a few questions that I hope somebody can answer for me...

- Will certain stamp sets, papers, colors, etc be required or can you just work with what you have. I just discoved SU not to long ago so I don't have a lot to work with. Do I need to decide which challenges I am going to tackle based on what I have available to me or on what interests me

- Do we have to limit ourselves to SU products or can we use supplies from other companies

- As mentioned in the quote below, will there be a heads up as to what supplies we will need so 'stations' can be set up ahead of time and if so, when will this information be provided

- And finally will there be a catagory for my craft ability/skills or will I have to embarass myself and upload my stuff with everybody else here?
Relax! This is supposed to be FUN! If this is like the other challenges on SCS any stamps and materials are fine. As to what to get ready, have all the tools you usually use ready to go -- like your paper cutter, adhesives, eyelet setter, punches, etc. Have the embellishments you like handy like brads, eyelets, ribbons. Then if you feel confident with a technique like heat embossing, dry embossing, or watercoloring, have the materials you would need for that technique handy in case you want to use it. Remember, if there is a color challenge and SU colors are listed, you can use any similar color from any source. Any dp is okay too. There might be a technique challenge. This is a challenge that features a particular technique. This might be a technique you've never done before. Don't be afraid to try something new. That's part of the fun! As to posting your creations with everyone else, don't worry about that. Everyone was a beginner once, and the stampers on this site are very supportive. Welcome and ENJOY YOURSELF!

Teapot Tuesday TEAm, join the party
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #132  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cropping NannyView Post
I'm just as scared as you!!!!!!!

Trying to get supplies set up and everything ready to go but have no idea what supplies we need or what tools we'll use.
If you find out anything, let me know.
Relax, gals. This is supposed to be fun. Have you seen post # 40 in this thread? It describes the challenges. Tomorrow, at the correct time, you'll see a message explaining more about each challenge. There'll be samples.
I'm looking forward to it ... now excuse me, I've got to go clear off some space from my stamping table.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #133  
Rubber Obsessor

Looks like fun - I've never posted anything before so might be a good chance to give it a shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #134  
Stampin' Fool

I would love to play too.Where would I find the post as to what the color,sketch,ECT would be.
Thanks

Last edited by kavitamahadeo; 10-03-2008 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #135  
Glitter Queen

Ok, I'm chilling out and just going to look forward to the fun and challenges. Thanks Dive
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #136  
Hardware Hotshot

My challenge is all about fun - seiously. It is soo easy but still *pretty*

You need nothing more than you usually have at your desk - promise

I am sure the other challenges are similar.

Relax and prepare for fun girls!

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #137  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post
My challenge is all about fun - seiously. It is soo easy but still *pretty*

You need nothing more than you usually have at your desk - promise

I am sure the other challenges are similar.

Relax and prepare for fun girls!
Mine's simple too. No special supplies required! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #138  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLView Post
Take a deep breath and relax! You're going to have a wonderful time!

Quote:

Will certain stamp sets, papers, colors, etc be required or can you just work with what you have.
They will not specify a specific stamp set, although they may say to use a Christmas Stamp, or a flower, or a farm animal something like that. They try to be very generic, and they appreciate the creative way you substitute if you don't have exactly what they are looking for. For one challenge I did, you needed to make a card with a cup of coffee on it. Well, I didn't have a stamp of a coffee cup, so I used a sticker, stamped a flourish in gray as the steam wafting up, and it was fine. What I do if I don't have a stamp or an appropriate sticker is to look for free clip art on the web and download an image, print it onto my card stock, and water color it. If I don't have the appropriate greetings, I'll type it up in a pretty font and print it out.

One of the challenges will be a color challenge, and they will specify what colors to use on the card - and they may specify them using SU names. I don't have any SU paper, but I downloaded the SU catalogue to use as a guide to match the colors with what I have.

-
Quote:

Do we have to limit ourselves to SU products or can we use supplies from other companies
You can use anything, and if you don't have exactly what you need or what they ask for, creative substitutions usually earn you compliments!

-
Quote:

As mentioned in the quote below, will there be a heads up as to what supplies we will need so 'stations' can be set up ahead of time and if so, when will this information be provided
For the weekend VSN, they did give a supply list. I haven't seen anything like that come through for this, but there are also less challenges involved and more time to do them. The supply list was basic things you likely already have; it just helped to have it organized ahead of time, especially when you're getting a new challenge thrown at you every hour AND you're a newbie. (I was a brand spanking newbie for the August challenge marathon :cool:.) There is more time between challenges and this is only for one day.

I've been working hard at cards and scrap book pages in my home studio and I set it up to be really efficient. This might give you some ideas... For this event, I set a couple of tables in the living room, which is next to my studio, so I could spread out a little more. Basically what I did is set up trays and folding tables to serve as "stations" for various things... a place to cut, a place to stamp, a place to emboss, a place to paint, a place to assemble, a place to photograph, and a place where I can lay out paper, embellishments and ribbons when they announce the challenge, so I can start the design.

I also have my lap top set up some place close by as well. I created a file where I put a chart for each card that has these categories in a column:

Keywords:
Stamps:
Paper:
Ink:
Accessories:
Techniques:
Difficulty:

Those are the "blanks" you have to fill in when you upload a card and what I have found most helpful is to have a file set up like this for each card and I type in the info as I make the card. Then I write an introduction and describe anything special I did in making the card. (Check my gallery for ideas if you'd like!) It makes it so much easier to have this organized and set up ahead of time.

Lastly, I bookmark the page where I have to post the link to my card. Once the card is uploaded, I copy off the web address and put that with the other information in the table, and then I post a link in the thread with the address of the card. Also make sure you follow the instructions in the thread for listing a keyword when you upload the card so they can "find" your card after you've posted it to the site.

Quote:

And finally will there be a catagory for my craft ability/skills or will I have to embarass myself and upload my stuff with everybody else here?
You're skill level and how many stamps you have, have little to do with it -- it's your creativity that matters the most. Like I said, creative substitutions are noticed and you'll get positive feedback if you explain what you did and why. (Like when I used a sticker for a cup.)

Have fun, and if you have any more questions, just ask away!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #139  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavitamahadeoView Post
I would love to play too.Where would I find the post as to what the color,sketch,ECT would be.
Thanks
Sita, Post #40 gives you some details. They are using the same format that they use for the daily challenges. Have you done any of those? If you go to the home page and scroll down, on the right side you'll see a column with the daily challenges listed. If you take a peek through there, it will give you an idea as to how the challenges operate. They will post the specific challenge tomorrow at the appointed time. I'm not entirely positive as to where you'll find it, but I think they might be posting them right on this thread. If not, there will be a thread in this area that is well marked. If you can't find it, post here and someone will guide you.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #140  
Crimping Master

I agree: sounds like fun!

It isn't stamping-related, but please stop by my blog anyway! http://thesedaysofmine.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #141  
Gabfest Goddess

uploading will be the biggest challenge....especially with so many trying to upload at the same time....patience, patience, patience....I didn't know there was such a day as Cardmaking Day....but oh how fun....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #142  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks,Can't wait to play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #143  
Die Cut Diva

OOh I'll be playing after my stampin up party!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #144  
Pearl-ExPert

I wanna play also! I CANT WAIT...hubby has to be at work at 10:30am so im have ALL day to play! YEAH FOR ME!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #145  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Can non-FanClub members upload on Sunday for this challenge?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #146  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I am so excited, I thought I would have to miss out because of a wedding, but I can sweeze some scrapping in when I get home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #147  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ooooooh! I cannot WAIT for tomorrow! FUN FUN FUN!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #148  
Kookie Creator

I hope to play too, even though I'm hosting an open house for a couple of hours in honour of the day. Can't wait- thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #149  
Die Cut Diva

I'm so excited that this will be going on tomorrow. I really wanted to participate at my LSS day of festivities but just can't afford to right now so this is PERFECT!!! I can use what I have at hand (which, seriously, I should be using anyway before I BUY more, LOL) and still have fun celebrating the day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #150  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Yeah!!! Tomorrows schedule......

sounds GREAT, I HOPE I can keep my daughter busy so I (or we) can make some CARDS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #151  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I can't wait, I need everything the host companies could give!!!! I really need a scor-pal. And my paper cutter has a crack in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #152  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
Can non-FanClub members upload on Sunday for this challenge?

No they will not be able to, but you can upload on Monday and still meet prizing deadlines

I think you will have enough time between challenges Saturday too (if you want).

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #153  
Inky OceanGazer

well...sounds like fun....hope to get to several of them before the deadlines......thanks for hosting these challenge to celebrat WCMD
Inky Ocean Gazer (my original blog I can no longer get into)
The Inky Ocean Gazer 2 (my new simple blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #154  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sounds like too much fun! I just may have to get on board with this one! Thanks.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #155  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

This sounds awesome BUT I'm already signed up for an all day card-making workshop. I will do my best to do a couple of challenges before or after. Thanks to the hosts; I know it will be a great day for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #156  
Kookie Creator

Location: Currently, in the United Arab Emirates--about 45 miles north of Dubai, in Ras Al Khaimah

Guess I'll stay up all night!! It will start at 7 p.m. for me over here!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #157  
Matboard Maniac

I want to participate, too. Sounds like a lot of fun, and I'll have cards that I need for future events!!
Poolsmom

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice
and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #158  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Oh, the hubby is away this weekend hunting! I can't wait. It will be so much fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #159  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a class booked here at my house tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and then a workshop at 7 p.m. I will have to play on Sunday! I'm soooo excited about this! FUN! Thanks for going through all this for us addicted stampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #160  
Die Cut Diva

This is going to be so much fun. I have already cleared my stamping area and now am going to bed so I can get up and be ready to stamp...it will be 8am here in Arizona when the first challenge begins.

See you in the morning.

Reply With Quote Likes