Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-28-2023, 07:56 AM   #121  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,114 Likes on 968 Posts

Just finished a batch of vanilla ice cream. Indulgence on a hot day. Jean, if you decide to get a machine, it is totally possible to use different ingredients than what is listed in a recipe. For instance, most of the regular ice cream recipes call for whole milk. Since I NEVER buy other than 1%, that's what I use. I think it may make the ice cream a little less solid, but not really soft serve. But it is certainly less calories and tastes just fine to me. The vanilla calls for 3 cups of heavy (or whipping) cream. I use 1 pint and for the 3rd cup either half & half or milk (again 1%). Works fine. So far I haven't tried anything for ice cream - not frozen yogurt, etc.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lacyquilter:
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023), mcschmidty (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 08:07 AM   #122  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,288 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Good morning! We had our last night of open windows as it is warming up today. We are under an excessive heat watch, in fact. Yippee!

I am almost done with VBS returns etc then I focus on fiscal year end. It's always something, right?

Tomorrow morning, I am going to my SIL's retirement party before I go to work.

Ann, I'm glad you had a good time with your family and how awesome to make your uncle so happy with your wonderful desserts. Funny you should mention the strange alien plant life. Next year's VBS theme is SCUBA so those alien plants will become underwater plants next year.

Kathy, be kind to yourself. Healing takes time.

Melody, love the funny. And yum to ice cream....
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 06:58 AM   #123  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! Quiet on here. I hope Shirl and Gracie had lovely trips to their destinations.

This morning, I am headed to my SIL's retirement party before I go to work. The party is from 9:30-11:30 which, to me, seems like a strange time for a party but that is how it is. My nephew, who currently lives in Texas, told me he was making it here for the party so it will be nice to see him.

Jean, thinking of you with all the packing and soreness.

Melody, what yummy ice cream have you made today?

Kathy, I hope you are having a good day today.

Off to feed the cat.
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 07:12 AM   #124  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Haha, Catherine. I usually only make one kind at a time, because it does have to fit in the freezer. Makes a half gallon. And on Tuesday, I made a slow cooker full of lentil stew, and that goes in the freezer in individual serving containers. I also made chex mix on Tuesday - my version depending on what cereal I have. I used corn chex, rice chex, and some peanut butter cereal (off brand like Reese's Puffs, but without the chocolate). These were all given to me by Mark's family (budget friendly - ). I didn't use pretzels or nuts, etc., because I didn't have those.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 08:00 AM   #125  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 650 Posts

Hi all,

We made it safe and sound to Regina. Our rental car is a 2022 Dodge Charger. Tomato red, lol. Too many bells and whistles for me but dh likes driving it. It was over an hour drive to Weyburn so did not arrive at hotel till 4:30. My cousin Marion met us and gave us two cinnamon rolls for a bed time snack. Clock alarm in hotel room went off at midnight and the button dh pushed was to repeat it, cause he thought it was an off button (he couldn't see in the dark and that made it come on again 8 mins. later. We pulled the plug out and now today we have made the alarm switch off.

Question, who sets an alarm for midnight???

Catherine that is an odd time for a retirement party. Hope it went well.

Kathy my surgeon said it is not a race, lol. He said listen to your body. He said always do less than you think you can do.

Sorry you are suffering with the smoke. We have lots of wind here. but no smoke.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by shirlb19:
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023), mcschmidty (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 08:32 AM   #126  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Shirl, that midnight may be a default if the power goes out or the clock is unplugged, and the clock reverts to the default time. I have a clock that does something similar. Of course, I don't normally use the alarm, so that is turned off, but if I need to set it, I make sure the time for the alarm is correct.

Yes, we have another smokey day, but it really doesn't bother me. Everything is hazy, but the smell is not overpowering, just occasionally notice it.
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 09:15 AM   #127  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Today is a good day. I woke up with very little pain and got my walk in. It is extremely Smokey here we're under a high alert. You can see it and smell it. D h went fishing a little bit and then came home. He was going to paint our roof because we had a leak the other night but I told him just to wait. He already patched some areas but I don't want him out in this smoke. He went to pick up my stampin up order so I'm hoping to have some fun this afternoon. I am so glad I got that electronic die cutting machine. I am able to work on cards without help. I did need help to make an envelope for a bigger card I made. I couldn't push the punch on my envelope punch board. I did yesterday's tutorial, but just changed out the picture because I added a few more pieces of bling.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by muscrat:
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023), mcschmidty (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 02:25 PM   #128  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,014 Likes on 868 Posts
Default Hi

Waving hello!
I am here Jean : ) I have kept up with reading the thread- nothing new here. Glad your packing is moving forward and great to have a friend come help you pack!

Catherine- wow on the VBS decor! Looked awesome! We are dry here- need rain! We did get 1/2" last Sunday.

Ann-so nice that you had a fabulous visit with your Uncle! SO sweet of you to make him goodies he enjoys!

Kathy- hope your healing continues on track and that you feel better each day!

Shirl- safe travels! Enjoy the reunion.

Gracie- safe travels to Arizona! Stay cool!

Melody- my hubby is out playing baseball tonight- air quality still unhealthy and hazy. Their team lost, but they still had a great time trying!

We are watching Katies pup while she is at Acadia (Maine) with Stephanie. They have been sending great pictures.
The countdown is on for Annette's arrival : ) I am watching the weather trying to find the best days to do outdoor touring- many days with rain in the forecast........ aka downtown Chicago.

Well, I wrote this last night and never sent it.... will go catch up on the thread today!

Shelly
​​​​​​​
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by mcschmidty:
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023), shirlb19 (07-02-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 02:46 PM   #129  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3,001 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Checking in. Wow! On the VBS decorations, Catherine. Did I miss how it tied in to the Bible’s stories, etc? Creation?

Shirl, have a wonderful trip. Midnight alarm, to get up early and catch a plane? Once when I drove to Colorado Springs form Hays Ks, to pick up our son at the airport, I checked into a motel, and had to set the alarm for 1:00 am to go pick him up, He was coming in from Los Vegas,

Shelly so exciting, your count down. 😀

Jean, it will be over before you know it! Hang in there!

Kathy, that is great that you are crafting. What electric die cut machine did you get? I am afraid I am going to have to invest in one of those.
going to post this. I just lost it but got back to it before it was totally gone.
hi everyone!

VSBN24 National Scrapbook Day - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by smadson:
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023), mcschmidty (06-29-2023), shirlb19 (07-02-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 08:02 AM   #130  
Proud Fan Club Member

Had a good time meeting all the cousins, 2nd cousins and their littles running all around last night for the wiener roast. Good news is that mosquitoes were not around cause it had not been raining. Just a few flies. They had sprayed the farms too so it was good. I did not even bother to use the spray I had bought when we got here.

Melody you are making me want an ice cream maker but we only have a freezer in our fridge so no room as it is generally pretty packed up with other food.

Jean hoping your move goes smoothly.

So neat that Annette is coming to visit, Shelly!

Kathy fun that you have a SU order to unpack!

Hi Ann, Sharon, Catherine and all.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by shirlb19:
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023), mcschmidty (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 09:25 AM   #131  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! It is my day off from paid work so that means house cleaning day. And DH invited my brother/SIL/nephews over tomorrow so I'd better do better at it than I did last week!

Today DD1 starts a house/dog sitting job so she will be gone for a week. We might go bug her as the house she is sitting has a swimming pool and we have triple digit weather.

The retirement party was nice. I used to work for the company my SIL is retiring from so I saw people I knew and haven't seen in years which was fun. It isn't actually my SIL's last day, that is next week. It made a late start to my work day though. Then I didn't get home until after 9 pm because I had a business meeting to attend last night. DH and I snuck in a quick dinner out while we were down the hill too. I'm happy to be at home today and hope to get the housecleaning done before it gets too hot outside.

Melody, yum to lentil stew! I love lentils.

Shirl, oh my goodness, I hate when that happens with an alarm in a hotel room! We've had that happen as well so now I check before going to bed that the alarm is off! I'm glad you arrived safely - and were met with cinnamon roll treats, how awesome is that! And especially that the mosquitoes haven't been bad. Those buggers like me entirely too much.

Kathy, yay for a good day. Yes, which electronic die cut machine did you get? Gemini or Sizzix Switch?

Shelly, how exciting that Annette is coming for a visit!

Sharon, the VBS theme this year was Stellar and it is all about sending the kids on a cosmic quest to shine Jesus' light to the world. That is what made it a space theme. During the evening, one of the stations they visit is Bible Adventures where they hear a new Bible story each night. I don't know what each night's story was this year but I do know that they included Jesus' birth one night and His death and resurrection another night. Each story was written in a way to emphasize shining Jesus' light.

OK, I'd better get to work so I can take care of things before it is too hot!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by cdimick:
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023), smadson (07-01-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 11:18 AM   #132  
Proud Fan Club Member

I have the Sizzix Switch I bought last year at Hobby Lobby. I hadn't used it much up until now, but I'm using it daily now.

I took a ride in the truck today! We went to Walmart. I wanted to reload my gift card I use for curbside pickup or online orders.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by muscrat:
Old 07-01-2023, 04:41 AM   #133  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,763 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Happy Saturday morning, everyone. Hot, hot and hot here. I caved and put on my air conditioner in my bedroom and have again kept my doors closed to keep humidity out. I DO NOT LIKE THIS, SAM I AM. I want my doors open. Yesterday was the first day in quite a while that we had no air quality alerts. Melody, that's interesting about that world map.
Very very very overcast today....sure could use rain.
Ann, glad you had a good time with family. I'm sure the desserts were divine.
Shirl, very good lesson about the alarms in hotels. Glad you're having fun with family.
Catherine, I always laugh when you say 'day off from paid work.' How true, how true.
Melody, thanks for the tips about ice cream making. I haven't even seen the inside of the fridge at the house so it will be interesting to find out how much i can fit. My daughter makes a good lentil stew, my grands love it.
Kathy, I'm assuming your pain is connected with healing. I think Shirl gives good advice. Listen to your body. But I'm glad you are getting out a bit.
I'm sure you guys are tired of me whining about packing etc. I'm tired of me whining about it. The tops of my feet are killing me, like I dropped something heavy on them. Feel very bruised. Don't know what that's about. Good progress happened this week with the house....floors are sanded, windows are in, not sure if the doors are hung, plumber has come about the bathroom (which is my biggest worry, it's still gutted), something needs to be fixed in the basement before the bathroom can proceed. I'm borrowing a friend's van this week and driving to LaCrosse to see if I can save a little money on the move by taking some boxes. Money is time, time is money. Today I pay my last rent to the landlord. I think I'll like my new landlords better.
Shelly, are you a-quiver with excitement over Annette's arrival?? So exciting!
Well enough blathering....Jan, hope the family visit is going well. Gracie, hug those pups for me....I need a puppy hug right now. I will try to get some pictures up of the house progress. The paint is still the original colors from the previous owners. I like color but it's a bit much even for me. Bye.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by jkanack:
Old 07-01-2023, 05:32 AM   #134  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Just popping in to say Hi, exhausted from pool fun with GS,he’s ten and would stay in all day, it’s too hot so we wear hats,sun tan lotion etc, we’ve had so many meals out but today we’ve had Tapas, the best I think we’ve ever had.
im the Uno champ, it was a face off between me and Steve last night and the boys were helping him, he still lost haha.

Jean pleased to hear the house is moving along.

Kathy good to see you are crafting and healing.

waving hello to everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by jan31:
JRHolbrook (07-01-2023), mcschmidty (07-03-2023), smadson (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:25 AM   #135  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Jean, the size of the freezer wouldn't matter if you just ate the entire half gallon as soon as it was made. LOL EXCEPT, you do have to freeze the bowl part of the ice cream maker, and that's bigger than a half gallon - obviously... about the size of the bowl on a Kitchen Aid stand mixer.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lacyquilter:
jkanack (07-04-2023), JRHolbrook (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 10:02 AM   #136  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Hello all! Arrived safely in Phoenix...Hot, hot and hot here. Predicted to be 117 this weekend. I can't walk the dogs because it's so hot, but Payton (the 10 month English bulldog loves the pool.) I had to get up at 4:30 a.m. to catch my flight on Wednesday, so by the afternoon I was ready for a nap and luckily so was the puppy, Payton (see photo.) The other three are rescues: little dogs are Bentley and Brady; and Lucy is a medium size dog...she has a husky build at almost 50 pounds. Puppy Payton already weighs 45 pounds.

Shelly, how exciting that Annette will be visiting soon. I wish I was back in Wisconsin and could see both of you!

Catherine, I hope you were able to get the cleaning done before your company arrived. I'm sure DD1 doesn't mind your company while dog sitting. A pool in this heat is wonderful.

Jean, July is a hot month to prepare to move, but it will all be worth it soon, especially with your new landlord! LOL

I love ice cream Melody, but I'm trying to cut down on fat and sugar...too much weight gain this past winter. Good funny...TPing the Teepee!

Ann, I'm glad your Uncle appreciated your baking! Lucky guy!

Shirl, enjoy your travels. My plane was delayed about 40 minutes, but I learned later that there were many delays and cancellations on Wednesday. Thankfully, we got to our destinations!

Kathy, I'm glad you're having some good days...hopefully, you will have more good than bad.

Hi Sharon and Jan! I'm hoping to do some crafting today. Hello to everyone and have a great weekend!

Attached Thumbnails
Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-naptime-payton-june-28-2023.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2023, 12:54 PM   #137  
Proud Fan Club Member

Our phones just alerted to a tornado warning. We are getting severe downpour right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2023, 01:09 PM   #138  
Proud Fan Club Member

Confirmed tornados in towns nearby. Heavy rain here. Moms lane looks like a creek! Confirmed tornadoes in Lewisburg and Exchange.
Reply With Quote Likes
mcschmidty (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 08:30 PM   #139  
Proud Fan Club Member

Happy Sunday evening all.
I have 3 bites, 2 on my left leg and a small one on my face. All in all I consider myself lucky. Dh did not get bitten at all. He really had a good time at the reunion. We finished up today and now tomorrow seeing my cousins on my Dad's side for brunch.
Then flying back home on Tuesday, July 4th. Your Independence Day!
We had fireworks last night and also lots of lightning. A widescreen show on the prairies as everything is so open (sky wise). Driving back to our hotel, the city of Weyburn was also doing fireworks for most of the ride back to our hotel. Very entertaining!
My aunt is 97 and in a home so we visited her today after saying goodbye to everyone else. She is the oldest of all the Robertsons and still pretty sharp. She is originally from Holland and married one of my Robertson uncles after the war. He met her there in Holland during the war.. She was an only child and her father was not happy about his only child marrying a Canadian as he thought there was just cowboys and Indians in Canada until he did some research.
Her daughter (my 1st cousin) was the one who got me wanting to come to the reunion.
We have had high winds today. Probably common for here. The black flies were plentiful. I did spray myself a bit for the first time last night.
They had an auction last night of items that everyone had donated and made $11,000.00!!! These farmers must be making good money. They will use the money to pay for the cost of the reunion food etc. but will also donate some to the cemetary in Yellow Grass which has been neglected (probably due to the pandemic). That is where a lot of the Robertson's and Winter's are buried.
The reunion was held between two farms which are both 160 acres and have been in the family for a long time. It was an emotional time as both of them had lost their spouses. (These two women were the ones who started the reunion in 1998.) One died a yr. ago in May (they had 5 children together) and the other one was married to my cousin and she died Jan 2021. We had a memorial bon fire where we could write notes to anyone and say things we never got to say and they were all put into a box and thrown into the fire. We could choose to say out loud if we chose to. A few did. It was very emotional for a lot of us as there have been other deaths recently of some other cousins too. I was surprised that I had a good cry too. Very healing. They played songs and also Amazing Grace which was wonderful. I re read the obit I had written for my Mum, back in 2009 and published in the Weyburn paper and I still can't get thru it without tearing up.

Oh, one more thing is that we had a scavenger hunt yesterday and we had many groups of 6 adults each. One of the things to do on the list was to visit my aunt in her nursing home. So I got to see her briefly yesterday with my group, We all were to take pictures with her and our group. After we finished we watched all the photos on a big screen and in one of the group pics my aunt had stuck her tongue out. It was hilarious to see. What a character!
I think I have run on long enough here.

Gracie I sure hope you are surviving those AZ temps. We had 32 Celsius and that was hot enough. We went to DQ today and I had a mini size kit kat Blizzard (have not indulged in one in ages!. Dh had his usual love of a hot fudge sundae.

Kathy, your weather does not sound good! Sorry to hear about that.

Waving hello to Jan, Jean, Melody, Sharon, Shelly, Catherine, Sharon.

Shirl

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by shirlb19:
jkanack (07-04-2023), JRHolbrook (07-04-2023), mcschmidty (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 08:20 AM   #140  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! I am moving very slowly today, just really tired. I would like to stay home today but don't have the day off.

We had a good weekend. My brother, sister-in-law, and two nephews came over for lunch on Saturday. DH grilled Beyond burgers, we had potato salad, green salad, and I made strawberry shortcake for dessert. After they left, the girls and I left for the house where DD1 is house sitting and we enjoyed the pool. DH stayed home because he had, apparently, forgotten that our plan was to go to the house that DD1 is staying at and he invited some friends to stop by. So he stayed home in case they came. When DD2 and I got home, they were still at the house and DH had fed them basically the same thing we had eaten for lunch. They brought us some lovely produce from their garden.

Yesterday we finally celebrated Father's Day since we weren't able to do that on Father's Day due to VBS set up. DH wanted to eat at a Moroccan restaurant but, unfortunately, they have closed as the two brothers who owned and operated it have both passed away. They were so delightful, we were very sorry to learn of their passing. And it looks like the other Moroccan restaurant is no longer operating as well. So, we went to a restaurant that DH had introduced us too called Basha A Taste of Jerusalem. It is about 45 minutes away from us in Sacramento and is very tasty. From there, we went to enjoy the pool - all four of us.

Our temperatures are supposed to be cooling now. Yesterday was the hottest day in this current heat wave.

Jean, any progress report on the house? Have you made the drive over with the van yet?

Yes, I say Friday is my day off from paid work because I am reminding the girls that I'm still working, I just don't get a pay check for it! When they were smaller, I was doing home school projects with them on Fridays besides trying to get the house clean.

Jan, DD2 and your GS both love the pool and would stay in all day if possible. So glad you are having fun with the family and good job on Uno!

Gracie, love the photo, what a sweet dog! The dogs that DD1 is sitting this week, Cash and Owen, do not get in the pool. I'm not sure why. What we have to keep an eye on when in the pool (or whenever she lets them out for a bathroom break) is to keep them from drinking the pool water! Your temps make ours sound cool, down where I work it was 109 yesterday and a 101 at the house.

Yikes to a tornado warning, Kathy!

Shirl, your comment about everything being so wide open there reminded me of when DD1 was in TN. She was somewhere with three of her good friends. Of the four of them, three are from out west, the fourth is from Indiana. They were talking about the skyline wherever they were and the three from the west were saying it seemed like something was missing, the Indiana girl said, "No, it looks right and normal." Of course, the western girls were missing the mountains of the west! It made me laugh when she told us that story.

I'm glad you went to your reunion and it sounds like it has been a good time. Sorry about the mosquito bites though.

There goes my alarm, chat with you later!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2023, 05:53 PM   #141  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

At least this one has a stop sign.
Attached Thumbnails
Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-redneck-roundabout.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
annsforte3 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 08:38 PM   #142  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Hi

Happy Monday and 4th of July eve for those of you in the US!

Annette arrived Saturday at dinnertime : ) We got home, huge rainstorm on the way to the airport and a little rain on the way home... no rain at home!

Sunday, Ray and I headed to church in AM, and then spent time in the craft room with Annette. We had more rain, alot of rain, so it stopped before dinner time, so we ate on the porch as it had cooled down nicely. Also had a nice mile walk around the block.

We headed to Chicago today- we avoid rush hour, so waited until a bit later to head out. Traffic was great- went to the gift shop at the Art Institute, headed next door to Millennium Park and saw the bean and the band shelter area, and beyond. We trekked down the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave) all the way to the Water tower Place and the John Hancock. We took the elevator up to the 96th at the John Hancock for a great view- nice and pretty clear day. We then walked back, and went to Gino's East for Annette to have deep dish (Chicago style) Pizza (or pie). We had Garretts popcorn too. Annette does not like shopping too much, especially with the exchange rates, but I took her into the American Girl doll store and Nike store just to see them. We'll come back on Friday. I did also drive by the theater district and show Annette the outsides of the theaters. It is cool to see all of the buildings and the styles of the buildings.
We also found a couple of Geocaches close to out home. And I took Annette to see a local park that is FULL of American Flags, It is a very moving scene!
Tomorrow, we'll cook out with my sister and family, Ray, Katie and I will join them at my sisters home. It may rain tomorrow, so we'll see about the fireworks. They will be earlier than Annette is used to, as it does not get dark where she lives until 10PM! Wow!

Hoping you all have a wonderful 4th (or Tuesday outside of the US).

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by mcschmidty:
annsforte3 (07-06-2023), JRHolbrook (07-04-2023), smadson (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 04:23 AM   #143  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Happy Tuesday or in this country, happy 4th. Our village festivities were all last night, didn't go as usual, don't enjoy the crowds, parades (I'd rather march in a parade, I've done quite a few) and don't like fireworks. But I'm grateful for this day. My brother pointed out to me that if the Revolution had not been successful, my family would not have emigrated from Alsace Lorraine and I would not exist.

Shelly, what fun you had. I hope Annette is enjoying all that Chicago and your hospitality has to offer.

Shirl, glad the reunion was successful. Re: bites...I never feel the bites but boy do I react. Very itchy. What was the money raised for with that auction?? I still have two aunts and two uncles in their 90's but I never see them. We've tried to see the ones in WI but it hasn't happened for various reasons. I understand the emotion about your Mom....sometimes tears come to me about my Mom and brother Bill, usually for no particular reason.

Gracie, I'm curious....is there no one in Arizona who would dog watch or are you just the most awesome dog watcher that they only want you? Love the dog cuddling with you. I like dogs who cuddle. The pool must be awesome, although does the water get too warm?

Kathy, I hope the weather has improved....scary storms. At least our air quality has improved although yesterday we had an ozone alert. If it isn't smoke, it's ozone.

Catherine, sounds like you love Mediterranean food....me too. I really should try to get to a restaurant called Scheherazade, it's on the east side of Milwaukee and has the best pita bread and hummus. There is an Indian restaurant within walking distance of my new home. I hope you have today off.

Melody, good point about the size of the freezer, I will be reminded of you every time I have ice cream. I am driving to LaCrosse on Thursday and I want to see the inside of the freezer, fridge, run the dishwasher and the washing machine, just to see how they work. It sounds like the appliances might all need to be replaced, little by little.

One of the things I'll do in LaCrosse is go to a drum corp show. Haven't been to one in a while so pretty excited. I'm not fond of some of the innovations that have happened over the years but it's still a fun event. LaCrosse is home to the Blue Stars, a very good corp.

Jan, sounds tiring but fun!!!! Carry on with the fun.

I'm posting two pics of my new abode. This is what my bathroom looks like at the moment...there is nothing there. A plumber has been there to work on some things first. I will have a step in shower surrounds, new vanity and toilet. There is no linen closet, which I will miss, I'll have to get creative. They'll get one of those units that go over the tank of the toilet but there won't be much space. I foresee storing lots in the basement or under my bed. I made some good progress yesterday, am finally really packing up all the art stuff so no more cards for a while, unless I can Zentangle or watercolor. And you can see that the outside of the house is nothing to write home about. Very neglected landscaping, exterior. The exterior is asbestos siding, which was very popular in the 50's. It will have to come off before new stuff is put on. I think it could be very cute eventually. There are a lot of houses in LaCrosse that look like that. I think the neighbors should be pleased in time....I was thinking that the house very easily could have been bought for rental property and it would only get worse. It is rental property now but it won't get worse. Liz and Scott are treating it like their very own and they care about how I feel. I hope it doesn't feel like a money pit eventually. I'm excited about more privacy. The previous upstairs tenant was very to herself but the new one, while I like her and we get along, has grand kids who are with her a lot and I feel more like it isn't my house. They play outside, sit on the porch and I'm not alone.

have a great Tuesday!
Attached Thumbnails
Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-img_20230627_200545.jpg   Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-img_20230630_073639.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by jkanack:
annsforte3 (07-06-2023), jan31 (07-06-2023), mcschmidty (07-06-2023), muscrat (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 05:27 AM   #144  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Forgot to say...Melody, that's a funny photo. A stop sign in a roundabout?????
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by jkanack:
JRHolbrook (07-04-2023), mcschmidty (07-06-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 07:29 AM   #145  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 208 Likes on 67 Posts

Hello and Happy 4th of July to those in the US!

After spending Canada Day travelling, I am looking forward to meeting some of Shelly's family and enjoying my first ever 4th of July in the USA. My trip was good. As we got closer to Chicago we had to deal with the weather that was around the area so there was a lot of altitude and slight directional changes in order to avoid turbulence. We were also put in a holding pattern above O'Hare due to the storm. We weren't too late though and the pilots did an excellent job of giving us a smooth flight.

Having an amazing time so far! Shelly and Ray are wonderful hosts. I am not a shopper, as Shelly said, but I do love to experience what makes a place unique. I got to see many cool sites yesterday and eat some Chicago style deep dish. I also love art, science and nature. We are doing an architectural river cruise on Friday as well as a Van Gogh exhibit. I am really looking forward to those. The best thing is meeting up with friends in person!

Kathy, I'm glad you are safe from the extreme weather.
Gracie, stay cool and enjoy those pups. I miss mine.
Shirl, sounds like you had a wonderful reunion.
Catherine, I'm glad your temps are cooling slightly.
Jean, hang in there! I think your new home will be lovely once it all gets done. There's quite a slope at the front. My daughter has the same thing at the front of her house but it's a smaller yard so it slopes closer to the door and there are steps all the way to the road.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by AnnetteMac:
jan31 (07-06-2023), JRHolbrook (07-04-2023), shirlb19 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #146  
Proud Fan Club Member

Shelly and Annette, were you two friends before scs? I'm just curious as to how you met. Sounds like a great time for you both!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by muscrat:
annsforte3 (07-05-2023), JRHolbrook (07-04-2023), mcschmidty (07-06-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 02:48 PM   #147  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Kathy, glad you survived the storms. Scary!

Jean, my daughter's dog sitter quit and they haven't found anyone they like yet. Oh, and yes, I am an "awesome dog sitter!" I love animals. Payton, the English bulldog is still a puppy and can be a handful! Your new home looks so cute and it will be wonderful to have your own yard and no upstairs neighbors!

Catherine, it sounds like you've had a busy weekend. Too bad you had to work yesterday! Time to retire . Yes, it is definitely stifling hot here. I will be glad to get up to Payson where it's only "90."

Annette and Shelly, it sure sounds like fun! I visited Chicago years ago. I'm sure it has really change! Enjoy your time together!

Shirl, I'm so glad you went to your family reunion...it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I hope your travels home went smoothly!

Love the tree in the middle of the intersection, Melody! Funny, but I do love how back in the "good old days" they built roads around farms and trees! The winding roads in the country.

Happy 4th of July to U.S. NO fireworks in most of Arizona...too much fire danger

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by JRHolbrook:
AnnetteMac (07-05-2023), annsforte3 (07-06-2023), shirlb19 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 05:52 AM   #148  
Hardware Hotshot

Kathy, we met through scs. I'm so glad we did. I am having an amazing time! I got to spend time with some of her family yesterday and have some great food. Her sister Annie is a wonderful gardener. We finished the day watching fireworks. Today we are heading up to Wisconsin to see Ann and Jean.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by AnnetteMac:
annsforte3 (07-05-2023), JRHolbrook (07-05-2023), mcschmidty (07-06-2023), muscrat (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 07:13 AM   #149  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Gracie, of course you are an awesome dog sitter. I think that I'm not a universal dog lover....there are certain dogs that I bond with and others, not so much. I kind of don't like the dog across the street that I dog sit for. Charlie is a small dog and his bark is beyond annoying. Very yippy. I'm more of a large dog person. Funny thing, there is another Jean Meyer in MF and she will now be Charlie's dog sitter. I think she spells her name Jeanne and pronounces it Jeannie, which I'm called by people who've known me for a long time. Keeps me feeling young.
Can't wait to see you, Annette and Shelly!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by jkanack:
annsforte3 (07-05-2023), JRHolbrook (07-05-2023), mcschmidty (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 08:38 AM   #150  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Jean, I hope you know that I was just teasing you...about being an awesome dog sitter! LOL

You girls have fun. I sure wish I would have been back in Wisconsin to meet all of you! Hugs
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by JRHolbrook:
annsforte3 (07-05-2023), mcschmidty (07-06-2023), smadson (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 08:47 AM   #151  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,196 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Can't wait to see Shelly, Annette, and Jean today!!

It's hot and humid here! Air is on!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by annsforte3:
mcschmidty (07-06-2023), smadson (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 09:04 AM   #152  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3,001 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRHolbrookView Post
Jean, I hope you know that I was just teasing you...about being an awesome dog sitter! LOL

You girls have fun. I sure wish I would have been back in Wisconsin to meet all of you! Hugs
me , too! Wish I was there!

VSBN24 National Scrapbook Day - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by smadson:
annsforte3 (07-05-2023), mcschmidty (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 04:22 PM   #153  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

REMINDER!!!

Today's challenge is the letter E for the color eggplant!!

Keywords: ABC19, ABC19E5!

Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
mcschmidty (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 07:56 AM   #154  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! I overslept this morning which is not good as I'm on a tight time crunch. Good thing I made my lunch last night, that will help.

It has been a few days since I posted. We enjoyed lovely fireworks on July 3rd. I love that the little town we are closest to does their fireworks show on July 3rd. It started just after 9:45 pm and probably wasn't as big of a display as if we had gone into one of the bigger towns but they are close and it is easy to get there and then get home again. We sat and watched them with my brother and his family and then, on the fourth, we went to their house for a late lunch to celebrate. DD2 wasn't even that late (she worked until 2:30 pm).

The weather is better, not triple digits, and I am thankful. DD2 is taking a week off work to enjoy more time with her sister and relax. Starting today, she'll be staying with her at the house DD1 is house sitting. She is spending the last two nights with her over there so we will have an empty house.

Melody, your redneck roundabout is too close to the last roundabout they added in Rocklin. While they were building it, they turned the intersection into a four way stop (previously a traffic light). I understood why they needed to do that but it has trained people to pull up to it and stop - while others pull up to it and don't slow down at all. That is probably my scariest part of my commute to work.

Shelly, Annette, Ann, and Jean - I'm so happy you all were able to meet together in person! How fun is that? It would have been so much fun to be there with you, I'm sure you had a great time together.

Annette, I'm with you about not being a shopper! It sounds like you have some fun things lined up to do as well. That river cruise and Van Gogh exhibit both sound like fun.

Jean, yes, we love Mediterranean food - so much flavor! And yes, their pita is wonderful, better than what I can buy in the store.

Your future home is cute, I'm guessing that is the front of the house in the photo? Are there stairs up to it?

Gracie, if only it really was time to retire! But that is a number of years away yet. How long will you be dog sitting?

I'll share one photo from the fireworks show. This is from early in the show (I didn't take any photos of the bigger ones and the finale) and is my favorite color!
Attached Thumbnails
Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-img_2839.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by cdimick:
JRHolbrook (07-09-2023), mcschmidty (07-06-2023), muscrat (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 08:51 AM   #155  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Morning everyone!

We had a wonderful visit together, Annette, Shelly, Jean and I! Son grilled steaks for dinner! Of course the ladies did not eat enough and I have too many leftovers! Time to get family back over to eat all the stuff up!

Busy week and I forgot to post my card for the week till yesterday! LOL! Felt weird to be off of SCS for days!

Have a good rest of your day everyone! It's laundry today for me and catching up on commenting!

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by annsforte3:
jan31 (07-06-2023), JRHolbrook (07-09-2023), mcschmidty (07-06-2023), muscrat (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:02 PM   #156  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Just popping on to say a quick hello, visitors left early on Wednesday, very sad to see them leave after a lovely two weeks with them, we are busy getting ready for our family from England in two weeks time.

sounds a fun visit you ladies all had, how lovely to meet in person.

Jean do you have an address where we can post your birthday card?

have a great weekend Ladies
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (07-09-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:05 PM   #157  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Hi

Hi ladies!
We had a great day visiting with Ann and Jean. Ann is the hostess with the most-ess : ) We were quite stuffed when we left! Annette and I drove a close jot to Ann and saw Holy Hill from afar, then tried to get a Geocache for Annette. It was a confusing clue, so hopped back on the highway. We had a bot of rain, but not the bad storm we had expected. We were able to find a Geocache right off of the highway in Wisconsin for Annette!
We drove up to my eldest sis' house today, got in the pool for a bit then had a small salad, and headed to Woodstock, Ill. , which is where the movie Groundhog was filmed. Annette found a multi-series Geocache there where we had to find a number of clues, then a tracker- a trinket she will take home and plant, and you can watch it and see where it ends up next : ) My sister and Annette got on as though they had been acquainted for years! She is so easy going!
It is so shocking to me how MANY Geocaches there are! Wow! I downloaded the app and whoa- there are so many everywhere! Annette will get a few more while here I am sure. I hope to also take her letterboxing : )
Tomorrow, back to Chicago : ) It is going to be a beautiful day and my daughter will join up with us for Van Gogh and my hubby will meet us all for an Ethiopian dinner. Yum!

I did have an EMG last week and ...WOW- the doc really left lots of huge bruises down my left arm! I mentioned to Annette, wonder if she had to poke the needles in further- as this is the worst side for the tingling..... the surgeon wanted to rule out an elbow issue vs 100% neck issue. Sure enough, the report is on my chart, and the let side nerve conduction is worse.... and I do not follow up with the doc until the end of July.... Life goes on in the meantime! Oh, and elbow nerves are fine, issue is totally the neck.

We have to cut out time in the craft room! So, Saturday will aim to stay home mostly...Geocaching will happen and maybe letterboxing this weekend.... We will head to Galena and Dubuque Iowa Monday- and will meet up with Rebekah!

Waving hello to all!
Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by mcschmidty:
JRHolbrook (07-09-2023), muscrat (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 05:56 AM   #158  
Hardware Hotshot

Having such an amazing time! It's great to be able to meet up with people in person. Shelly and her family are so kind and welcoming, I feel like I have known them for longer than I have. I have been staying up later than usual here because we are having such a good time. I will catch up on sleep on the plane or when I get home.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by AnnetteMac:
JRHolbrook (07-09-2023), mcschmidty (07-12-2023), muscrat (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 12:46 PM   #159  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hello everyone! I'm taking a quick water break and thought I'd check in here. I've been busy with house chores restoring the carpet to safe walking for my bare feet! The girls are both at the house DD1 is house/dog sitting having a two night sleepover. Tomorrow, the job ends and they both come home.

DD2 is ecstatic to be on vacation for a week and three days. She is so happy to have the time off while DD1 is home so they can hang out some more. DD1 will continue to work but she doesn't work every day and usually her shifts are early morning so she is done by 9:30 am or so.

Gracie, my Scrapbook.com order was in Phoenix yesterday and left today, supposedly to arrive at my house tomorrow. Are you still in Phoenix with all of those wonderful dogs?

I'm so happy that four of you got to meet in person, that is wonderful and sounds like a great time. And next you'll get to meet Rebekah? Fabulous! Sounds like you are having a great time, Annette. One of the places I loved visiting in Chicago many, many, MANY decades ago, was the Museum of Science and Industry. It was so interesting.

Jan, so happy you had a lovely two weeks with your family visiting from CA and to hear that the family living in England are visiting in a couple of weeks. What a wonderful family time!

I'd better get back to work, these chores won't do themselves!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by cdimick:
JRHolbrook (07-09-2023), mcschmidty (07-12-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #160  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi everyone! Everybody must be very busy this weekend. Nothing much exciting to report on this end.

Hope everyone is well!
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (07-09-2023)