Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #281  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here it is the 28th of January and I have spent ZERO this month on crafting. I've pulled a TON of stuff from my basement for the local women's shelter resale shop. Not all of it crafting stuff, but a pretty good amount. It reinforces the goal for me of not buying anything craft wise unless it's for a specific project. No more "just because its a great deal, or it's so cute, or I'm sure I can use that".

Back later to post on the Feb challenge. I'm still finishing up my January.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #282  
Watercolor Wizard

Since I have commitments to do Stampin' Up orders (darn it anyway!) my spending will be "significant" in February - around $100.00. It was pre planned and money set aside for. I guess my goal for the month then will be to not visit and spend at any local LSS's in February and use only what's in the house for any projects I may do during the month. That should be an attainable goal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #283  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
Since I have commitments to do Stampin' Up orders (darn it anyway!) my spending will be "significant" in February - around $100.00. It was pre planned and money set aside for. I guess my goal for the month then will be to not visit and spend at any local LSS's in February and use only what's in the house for any projects I may do during the month. That should be an attainable goal.
Muzbysmom- what is the Virtual Stamp night on your signature line? Is that something here? a link?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #284  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamouseView Post
Muzbysmom- what is the Virtual Stamp night on your signature line? Is that something here? a link?
Virtual Stamp Night is just a Splitcoast event for fun! They also will have a Virtual Scrapbooking Night. Challenges are posted and playing is totally voluntary and meant to be fun. The Virtual Stamp Night link can be found here:

Virtual Stamp Night - Splitcoaststampers

Some of the other ladies can tell you more about the Virtual Scrapbooking Night. I've not participated in one of those (yet) but did participate in the last Virtual Stamp Night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #285  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

February question of the month:

Not only do I think about purging my stash, I have done it twice in the last 6 months. I recently moved my crafting area from one side of the basement to the other, and during that time, I really purged a lot of things. Then, after I went to an all day crop, they were requesting scrapbooking items for a charitable project, and I did another purge. I'm a funny purger though - I don't seem to have any problem purging paper, but for some reason I have a problem purging embellishments. I get ready to get rid of something and this little voice in my head says "what if you might need that later?". So, it takes me a bit of effort to tell that little voice that if I haven't used it in the past three years, it is not likely that I am ever going to use it. One great thing about purging is it helps you discover things that you had totally forgotten about - I found 10 pre-made 2 page layout kits!

For the challenge, I don't have any stamp sets that have never seen ink, but I do have a ton of individual stamps that have never seen ink. Does that count? Hoping to get into my crafting space this weekend and get a few cards done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #286  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post

Do I get bonus points if I have already done February's question of the month? LOL. I did some major downsizing of my stash the middle of January and it has made things so much easier to find and to play with.

I had already planned on using stamp sets that have not seen the light of day or ink since I first bought them, it is amazing how many stamps that I have in that category.
***ABSOLUTELY*** Major downsizing is a BIG step (at least to my way of thinking :rolleyes: ) Did you think about it a long time? Did you downsize for a specific reason? Did you sell or gift the extra supplies? Have you had regrets about any of the stuff you passed on?

Inquiring Minds want to know.... LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #287  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking YUP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamouseView Post
here it is the 28th of January and I have spent ZERO this month on crafting. I've pulled a TON of stuff from my basement for the local women's shelter resale shop. Not all of it crafting stuff, but a pretty good amount. It reinforces the goal for me of not buying anything craft wise unless it's for a specific project. No more "just because its a great deal, or it's so cute, or I'm sure I can use that".

Back later to post on the Feb challenge. I'm still finishing up my January.
I can very much relate to the "oh it's so cute" ... I could probably fill a BOX of CUTE and it's never been touched. Good for you for $0 Spending January and donations to the Women's Shelter!

For Feb purchase through Stamp/Scrap Club I have been very specific about the paper I'm buying making SURE I have selected photos to go with those papers before I order. It made choosing what I was going to get much easier and I feel better having a plan!

You ladies inspire me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #288  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink Well Said!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I did a bit of soul searching as to why " looking forward to buying " is such a big part of this hobby. I think I discovered the answer for me. I don't know if it will help others curb spending.

When I started making cards I needed everything! It took more than 2 years to get all of the basics, good paper trimmer, a nice selection of cardstock, ink pads stamps, adhesives, etc.

I could not buy it all at once so "looking forward to buying" was a big part of this hobby for me. The Blog Hops, release parties and sales fed into the "looking forward to buying". Not to mention seeing wonderful new products from DT members

Now that I have all the basics I have decided to drastically cut back on my craft spending. In my opinion this hobby has consumed too much of my money in the past 2 + years . I don't go into debt, I pay cash, or if it is on the CC I pay it off when the bill comes . But I feel I spent more than I should on a hobby. However, now I feel a bit lost not looking forward to buying something.

I needed to change my outlook of this hobby and find techniques or projects I "look forward to Doing" rather than looking forward to buying.

This weekend I "look forward" to coloring my new fairy stamp . I have had it since late November and it has never been inked :oops:
Barbara, I very much AGREE with what you've discovered. When I sat down late last year and just started going through my bank statement just looking for craft spending amounts just to get an idea of what I spent for my hobby ... it scared me. Really all I had to do was look around my Stamp/Scrap/Office but I think I got insulated to putting the stuff into my organizers and not thinking about how much I already had ... The thought of logging all of the spending woke me up to the fact of how much I spend on "Impulse".

I downsized last Spring and was thrilled with the better organization and extra space I had. I have been thinking alot about the downsizing again this Spring! "STUFF" sitting here in my stash is weighing on me ...

I was very "inspired" during January this year. I think just the thought process we're going through of trying to use what we have and the awareness was helpful to my MOJO. I think I was being dragged into a buying habit versus a creating habit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #289  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LmnView Post
***ABSOLUTELY*** Major downsizing is a BIG step (at least to my way of thinking :rolleyes: ) Did you think about it a long time? Did you downsize for a specific reason? Did you sell or gift the extra supplies? Have you had regrets about any of the stuff you passed on?

Inquiring Minds want to know.... LOL!
Thanks for letting me have the bonus points. I didn't think about it to much. I started cleaning the whole house one room a day starting on January 3rd. The craft/office/school room was the last room that I did and it took me two days to go through. I had a lot of DP and I don't really like using them so that all went as well as most of my punches, I have a big shot and nesties and I use those more than I did the punches. There was a lot of other stuff that went as well. Most of the Stampin Up items went to a friend who is a Stampin Up demo and the rest went to Salvation Army. I did throw out some of the paper, but it was mainly the scraps. My Stampin Up cardstock went to my kids so that they can use it for making things with. I have not had any regrets with getting rid of the things I wasn't using and it is nice to have a room that isn't so cluttered and I know what I have now instead of guessing. I also realized that a lot of the stuff that I got rid of was impulse purchases so I will make sure that anything I buy from now on is something that I can and will use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #290  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi everyone,

Wow it took me a while to catch up. I made a no computer time until my house got straightened up it was at the stage where it was bugging me so I just have the inside of half my windows to do and it's all up to date. I have to get cracking on making Hubby a birthday card as his birthday is on Tuesday and time is slipping away. I put my SU demo order and used half of my quota which I basically spent on card stock so it wasn't too bad and I am gonna try and resist anything else until about mid march.
Tell me do you all just keep making cards so you have a stash on hand or make them as you go? I seem to leave everything to the last minute which is silly really. I really don't know where my day goes. I am a dairy farmer and am up quite early, hubby & I milk our cows together & when we finish the milking and clean up we have breakfast then he heads back out on farm to do his chores and I do the housework & exercise etc and after lunch I consider this my time and that's when I decide I should do my crafting but always find I sit and read a book instead it would be so much easier if I could just get on and craft I tell you.

I have had a purge and am just waiting to find time to take photo's of all my stuff then I can put it on Trademe (New Zealand's equivilent to ebay) but it is such a time consuming job and then you've got to put a realistic price on everything so it actually sells but most of the time you end up ripping yourself off LOL.

I hope everyone is having a great day.Here's to a great budget sticking February may we all craft from our stash.
Nicole

Congrats on all those that managed to stick to their plan this month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #291  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbrpuppetsView Post
Well the good new is I did 40 12 x 12 layouts and 5 cards so far this month.
CONGRATULATIONS! My GOAL this year is to do a minimum of 1 scrapbook layout and 3 cards each and every month. Not much, but more than I usually do in a typical month. Here it is only January and I'm already behind. But I do plan to meet my goal come tomorrow. :-)

Quote:

When I started making cards I needed everything! It took more than 2 years to get all of the basics, good paper trimmer, a nice selection of cardstock, ink pads stamps, adhesives, etc.
I could not buy it all at once so "looking forward to buying" was a big part of this hobby for me.
I can certainly relate. I started scrapbooking about six years ago and collected a lot of the basics, plus stamps and a bunch of embellishments like Jolee's stickers, brads and eyelets. Then I discovered Copics. And oh, what a slippery slope they are! Copics led me to take up cardmaking last summer. You'd think a scrapbooker would have everything to make cards. But nooooooo.

I soon came to realize that I "needed" a Big Shot and accessories. Got my Big Shot, a few dies, an embossing folder and a set of Sizzix texturz plates. It's enough to get me started, but oh how I want more embossing folders, more dies (I desperately want a window die!) and, yes, more stamps! But I need to learn patience. I don't need it all and I certainly don't need it all right now. But needing and wanting are two totally different beasts--especially as we see people making wonderful cards with newly released stamps, dies and designer paper.

Quote:

I feel I spent more than I should on a hobby.
If I had to weigh how much I spent on cardmaking vs. how much I'd spend to buy cards, I would have to admit that I spent way too much. Then again, when I compare how much I spend on my hobby to how much some people spend on their hobbies (ie: camping, woodworking, traveling, skiing) then I'd have to concede that I'm getting off cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #292  
Die Cut Diva

I've made up my mind. My February craft budget is $44.25.
($25 plus $19.25 that I did not spend last month)

Question for February: "Have you thought about Downsizing your Stash?"

Downsizing? No. At least that's not a term I'd use. Contrary to what my son might say, I don't feel like I have too much--at least not yet. ;-) That said, I have been doing a bit of purging the past few months. I've got an overflowing box full of stuff I need to get rid of. Some are ancient crafting tools that scrapbookers used 20 years ago. Some are items I got in swaps that I'll never use. A few were just bad purchases.

Here's what I've done so far:
  • I sold a few things on eBay. I was surprised to find that old-fashioned light boxes (for stencil embossing) are popular with tattoo artists.
  • I gave away a bunch of stuff on the S/O Pay it Forward thread, but had to cut back because of the cost of postage.
  • I'll take the rest of my stuff to a weekend crop in March where we'll have a giveaway table. It's a small retreat with only 12 of us attending, but you never know what other people might want.
  • What people don't take at the retreat, I'm going to donate to a church-operated thrift store in a neighboring community. They sell items at true thrift store prices (unlike my local Goodwill that, in my opinion, takes advantage of people who can't afford to buy new clothing) and the profits are used to help financially disadvantaged people in that community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #293  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I haven't totaled my receipts yet, but I ended up spending a lot less than I expected in January. I did not buy much from the latest SU mini, but enough to get one free Sale-A-Bration item. It will be easy for me to spend very little (if anything) in the next few months.

I like February's challenge to downsize and to use three unloved sets. The downsizing is doable, but I haven't stamped anything in a couple of weeks. No mojo, no desire to even pick up a stamp. So we'll have to see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #294  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Everyone!
I just found this challenge and BOY do I need it! I would LOVE to have some moral support while I try to curb this hobby a bit. Last month, I did start keeping a record of what I spend and just this morning I added it up and I am embarrassed to say it was way over my budget...

Now that I've found this thread, I am going to work on keeping it all in check.
For February, I will set a budget of $50.00 and I will work on downsizing my stash and I will definitely work on using three un-used stamp sets.

Thanks to all for the encouragement!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #295  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy8306View Post
I just found this challenge and BOY do I need it! I would LOVE to have some moral support while I try to curb this hobby a bit.
Hi, Lucy. I see that you just joined SCS recently and this is your first post. WELCOME!!

If you've had a chance to read through this thread, you've undoubtedly noticed that we all have different budget amounts and different reasons for wanting to tame our spending habits.

If you get a chance, I'd encourage you to do the January challenge: create a receipt box. Just looking up at my box on the shelf reminds me of my promise to stay within my monthly budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #296  
Watercolor Wizard

Good morning ladies! Down size my stash? No way Jose! I'm trying to use my stash! Actually I've already given away some of it and do want to keep what I have now. Ink up some unused stamp sets? I do have a few of those. Several are Christmas, though, and I'm not quite ready to think about Christmas cards. Two sets I got at a demo's garage sale and one other came to me via a SS swap. If I don't use them this year maybe I'll donate them somewhere next year but...

As far as my card stash I do need to donate them to someone or somewhere. I love to MAKE cards but I'm horrible at mailing them. I've donated to Cards for the Troops, a gal friends charitable event, and to the HYCCT Challenge recipient so I don't want to donate to any of them now. I've been thinking of donating them to a nursing home either for the residents to use free of charge or as a fund raiser for them - their choice. I just need to figure out who to call and how to start the conversation...

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. We are having another incredibly nice winter day in Minnesota - supposed to be up in the 40's again. We've hardly had winter. Little snow and little cold. I hope I haven't spoken too soon....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #297  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 281 Likes on 232 Posts

Wow! I need to remember that when I get an email reminder of activity on the thread it doesn't mean that was the only post. I had a whole page to catch up on!

Let's see. I spent $30.00 this month, and won $76.00 worth of stamps and dies from MFT/Verve. (It was a good month. That doesn't happen very often!!) I usually try to make 1 or 2 cards a day, so I'm up to 27 for this month. I'm using what I have and what I'm buying, so that's good. Right now I'm trying to play along with the 15 days of sketches on the Card Positioning Systems blog. I've decided to use a lot of my old favorites that I never get out anymore. I think it will be fun. So far I've used Valentine Mice from SU - it's probably over 10 years old! - and a sweet little Violet Cupcake stamp that I got a year or two ago. It's been fun!

For February... hmmm.

I would like at least one 6x6 paper pack, some adhesive for my ATG gun, Vanilla paper, baby brads, some verses from Clear Dollar, and a couple of sets/dies from MFT - or maybe the digital versions of the stamps, I can't decide. I keep wanting the Easy Events set from SU, and this would be a perfect time for getting it, with SAB on, but shipping is so expensive that I'm not sure... Maybe I can find someone who would stamp me a few images.

So... I'm going to set myself a budget of $60 plus shipping. I hope to come in much less than that, though!

I've downsized a lot over the past few years and I really don't have a lot of paper or embellishments. I don't have a lot of stamps, either, but more than I use!! I'd love to pass some of them on. Maybe I'll start listing them on Ebay this month. Good idea!

Tricia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #298  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes I am downsizing too!
I only have a few things for stamping that I am going to put on the BST thread. Things I bought that don't fit my needs, like 3 Tim Holtz dies that I don't like .

However I am in the process of doing a "mass weed" of supplies for other crafts I did in the past.
OMG it is like an "archeological dig"
I found stuff from 50 years ago . Baby Knitting pattern booklets that say 25� on them LOL

When I finish this I am going to see what in my kitchen and the rest of the house can go

I really want to go back to a simpler pared down life. There was a time when I moved and all I needed was 26 boxes for everything I owned including kitchen stuff. Now I could fill 26 boxes just with just craft stuff. :oops:
I will never get down to only needing 26 boxes to move all of my things, but I am on a mission to reduce this by half or more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #299  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 281 Likes on 232 Posts

Quote:

I really want to go back to a simpler pared down life. There was a time when I moved and all I needed was 26 boxes for everything I owned including kitchen stuff.
That is wonderful! How are you dealing with "sentimental" things and paper? Those are the two things that I just can't seem to keep pared down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #300  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by T. JoyView Post
That is wonderful! How are you dealing with "sentimental" things and paper? Those are the two things that I just can't seem to keep pared down!
I remind myself of an old Buddhist parable.
I will paraphrase .

The Buddha came upon a man carrying a large and very heavy branch. He asked the man why he was carrying it since it was such a burden. The man replied that once, long ago, he needed to cross a creek and the branch had been very useful for him to do that. He was grateful for the branch and now he didn't want to just discard it. The Buddha said just because something was very important or useful in the past doesn't mean you should carrying when it is no longer useful . The Buddha told him to put it down, because he was causing himself unnecessary stress and fatigue by carrying the burdensome branch that he no longer needed.

I am able to weed out things because many of my things gave me pleasure in the past, but now are no longer something I enjoy.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 01-31-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #301  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I remember reading about a couple that decluttered their lives of stuff....and had only what they really needed....they didn't have a tv cause - let's face it - do we really NEED it? And they had 4 plates, 4 cups, 4 forks/knives/spoons...get the idea? I thought that was so neat. Every so often I get the urge to declutter and get rid of quite a bit. But then I look around months later and realize I still have so much stuff. That even goes for my stamping stuff. I honestly feel guilty about how much I have and how much $$ is invested in it. If I had taken that money and did something else with it - could I have helped someone? My guilt isn't too great though because I do use my card making as a "ministry" of sorts. And when I do declutter of "stuff" we always take our stuff to an organization that gives away items to the needy (instead of sellling them). But back to the craft stuff.....I've done better lately than usual....not buying so much stuff that I won't use. And honestly, getting away from swapping is helping that as well. Once my current swaps are finished, I'm not going to do the swapping of craft supplies any longer. I think it will help not only $$ but also with the clutter of things that I have that I will not use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #302  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Smile

I've done better the last couple days. Haven't spent anything on crafts. Been using from my stash. I just have to take it a day at a time. I'm telling myself tomorrow is a fresh start!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #303  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Everyone,

February 1st already man time is gonna fly again this year i can tell.

I always feel guilty about how much I spend on my crafts i also cross stitch which isn't a cheap hobby either but they make me happy. There are two things that make me feel guilty the most and that is when I buy stuff and it gets buried under the new stuff and doesn't see the light of day until i have a sort out. The other thing is my sister struggles financially so to assauge my guilt when I have a clean out i give it her and she comes up with these lovely scrapbook pages and i think why couldn't I think of using that paper/ embellishment like that? I know that my sister uses it up cause she can't afford to buy stuff herself and she gets some pages done again. So i guess i use my sister to down size my stash.

i think it's a good challenge to try and use 3 un-inked stamp sets so I shall try and give that a go.

Thanks for helping with keeping this obsession of mine in some sort of control.
Nicole

Last edited by candukiwi; 01-31-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #304  
Compulsive Stamper

Downsizing my stash- I have been purging like crazy the past couple of months. Now I hope to use my stash first!

Finding 3 unused stamps should be doable.. hopefully for Valentine's Day as well as some scrapping I want to do this month.

Budget for Feb? I've signed up for 2 card classes, so that's $18 right there. Also attending a stamp club evening, so I imagine there is going to be some kind of shopping there. So I will give myself a budget of $40/month. Zero in Jan, budgeting $40 in Feb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #305  
Cardstock Collector

Hello Ladies,
I am back...I need help, I just posted yesterday that I would keep my craft budget to $50 this month and already I am looking at stamp sets that I really don't need. It's so hard, I see all these gorgeous cards that everyone makes and I just want to make them too...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #306  
Mad Swapper

I am so glad that I have this thread to keep me accountable. I was tempted several times this morning to place orders. I even went so far as checking out, but before I hit the confirm button I realized that it is not what I wanted to do this month and those items will still be there in a few months if I need them. I hate the first of the month when all the sites that I go to have there new releases. I also have to keep reminding myself that I just made a large purchase of school curriculum for our kids last night and that bill comes first.

Lucy8306 Something that I do when I go to the galleries to look for ideas or just to look at all the wonderful cards that are there is think about the stamps that I already have and if I could change out the stamp they used for one that I have. The other thing that I do is use the search feature and type in the name of the stamps that I have and see what wonderful creations I can find and make with the stamps I already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #307  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you, Jackie1, I'm so glad to know that I'm not alone in this big 'ole boat...
and I will give your suggestion a try.
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #308  
Insane Embellisher

I'm now in the process of putting together cards for the nursing home. I stamped and colored the images last night with a previously unused stamp. Also just made a birthday card with a stamp set that had never seen ink, and plan to use many other uninked before stamps this month.

My LSS has 2 sales in March for customers to bring in items to sell, one for just stamps, and another for papers, tools, and everything else. I'm now in the process of going through my stash and deciding what items I want to part with.

I ended up spending a lot more in January than I had planned so I could take advantage of being hostess for my SU card club and Sale-abration. I need to get some envelopes, but other than that I don't plan to make any purchases in February other than my monthly card club commitment. If I stick to that I will allow myself to purchase the new Tim Holtz Distress markers in March. Hopefully that will be the incentive I need.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #309  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I found stuff from 50 years ago . Baby Knitting pattern booklets that say 25� on them LOL
Barbara, I don't know if your children are sentimental saps like I am, but if so, you might want to check with them to see if they'd like a few of your items--either because a pattern was something you used to make them clothing or because they remember watching you participate in your hobby.

Then, after they've had a chance you might consider selling some of your items on eBay and market them as "vintage". You'd be surprised what kinds of things people will buy. If you've not sold on eBay before, be forewarned that eBay and Paypal take their fair share (plus a bit more). By the time you list, sell and then make a dozen trips to the post office, it may not be worth your time. In my case, I figured a little something was better than a lot of nothing ... and I now have $75 in my Paypal account earmarked for my craft shopping. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #310  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face February

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
If you get a chance, I'd encourage you to do the January challenge: create a receipt box. Just looking up at my box on the shelf reminds me of my promise to stay within my monthly budget.
Agree! My Receipt Box has 2 receipts ($16) in it for January & I'm thrilled. It did feel like an accomplishment to avoid impulse spending. I really truly also think it helped my MOJO! I got 32 scrap pages done and several cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by russnzellaView Post
I remember reading about a couple that decluttered their lives of stuff....and had only what they really needed....they didn't have a tv cause - let's face it - do we really NEED it? And they had 4 plates, 4 cups, 4 forks/knives/spoons...get the idea? I thought that was so neat. Every so often I get the urge to declutter and get rid of quite a bit. But then I look around months later and realize I still have so much stuff.
I read either the same article or something similar last Spring and did a MAJOR House purge last Summer. I had a Garage Sale and got rid of the rest. Believe it or not my Stamp/Scrap Stuff didn't all fit in my Stamp/Scrap/Office! It does now but I still feel I need to declutter again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by russnzellaView Post
That even goes for my stamping stuff. I honestly feel guilty about how much I have and how much $$ is invested in it. If I had taken that money and did something else with it - could I have helped someone? My guilt isn't too great though because I do use my card making as a "ministry" of sorts. And when I do declutter of "stuff" we always take our stuff to an organization that gives away items to the needy (instead of sellling them). But back to the craft stuff.....I've done better lately than usual....not buying so much stuff that I won't use. And honestly, getting away from swapping is helping that as well. Once my current swaps are finished, I'm not going to do the swapping of craft supplies any longer. I think it will help not only $$ but also with the clutter of things that I have that I will not use.
I had to unload the closet in the Craft Room because the Cable Guy had to check connections in the Attic (all for naught btw :rolleyes BUT all the closet stuff is now OUT in the extra room. DH asked when I was going to put it back, well, I've decided that it's the PERFECT time to get rid of most of this stuff. Much of this is NIP stuff sitting in plastic buckets. Like you Zella, I got it in Swaps or "Impulse" purchases. In the past I haven't wanted to let it go because it was "new" but really...I realize it's been sitting in boxes for at least a year, untouched, unused, I'm probably not going to now?! No more swaps for me either. I realized how much $$ I spent swapping for getting stuff I unfortunately don't craft with. I'm having terrible guilt just looking at it...it can't go back in, it has to go ... but I seem to be struggling?

I am going to spend some $$ this month to replace some scrapbooking paper packs I used & 12x12 CS but March will be a Stash Month for me. I would normally order right away from a new catalog but I have some 1/2 done scrap pages I'm hoping to finish before I do to have more pages done before I purchase....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #311  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So proud of myself for doing so well the month of January on my craft spending! You gals are such an inspiration. I did spend a few dollars and joined Lain Ehmann LOAD workshop. It was $30.00. The challenge is to create a layout a day for the month of February. It is going to be super hard since I work FT and have lots going on but I am going to strive to do this! I am super determined. I just posted my first layout on my blog tonight and I am so excited!!! This is going to help me use my stash in my craftroom too.

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #312  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Smile

Somehow I missed when I was reading the January challenge to make a receipt box. A jar might work better for me. I don't think I'll have any trouble finding a few sets of stamps to use, as I have some I have never used before. I noticed on one of the threads in the stamping section, they mentioned that they print out sentiments on the computer instead of buying them. I think I'll start doing that also; printing ones I will really use, not just cutesy ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #313  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GRRR - now that I have put into print that I don't want to spend anything for the month of February, I get an email from our LSS that the ENTIRE STORE is having a 50% off sale - EVERYTHING!!!! (which, actually, doesn't sound good - is this a precursor to the "Store closing - everything must go" email to come? Lord, I hope not!)

I took pictures of my crafting space last night (click here to see it in all it's ugly, unfinished glory), and as I was labeling everything, it occurred to me that I don't really have tons and tons of solid cardstock. So, I am thinking that I might go through all of my designer paper and ensure that I have cardstock to go with it. Those that don't have matching cardstock, I might bring with me to the LSS and purchase cardstock to match. That way, I won't get frustrated and more likely to use the DP since I know I have cardstock to match. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #314  
Mad Swapper

OK it is only the 2nd of February and I have already slipped. I ordered the Memento markers from Oozak, they were $2 per marker which is a great price and I have been wanting them for a little while. When I see something that I like I am a little OCD and need to have all of them at once so that is what I did, I ordered all of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #315  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm kicking Murphy out of my home! UGH!!! January has been the month from.....well, I don't use such language but let's just say that January has not been a good month. It's been a very COSTLY month! Are you ready for this?:

2 tires for DH's car - $230
2 tires for my car - $173
used dryer - $150
AAA renewal - $150
my car repair - that I thought was only going to be $30 - $269

And the topper......this past Saturday DH's axle broke....$424!

Sorry I've been MIA...but life has been happening all over the place here in NE Ohio. But alas, it's a NEW MONTH!

No matter what that little furry critter said in PA today - it's springtime in Ohio! The last two days have been 55 and today it's only 40...but gee, this time last year everything was white and cold so 40 and green seems like a heatwave! LOL!!!

Anywho - just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm still here in the land of the living...and hopefully February won't be as "costly". LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #316  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
GRRR - now that I have put into print that I don't want to spend anything for the month of February, I get an email from our LSS that the ENTIRE STORE is having a 50% off sale - EVERYTHING!!!! . . . So, I am thinking that I might go through all of my designer paper and ensure that I have cardstock to go with it. Those that don't have matching cardstock, I might bring with me to the LSS and purchase cardstock to match. That way, I won't get frustrated and more likely to use the DP since I know I have cardstock to match. What do you all think?
I think buying cardstock to match your designer paper is reasonable and buying it at 50% of is a good idea.

What you need to be careful of is viewing all the other "deals". Now and then a deal crosses our path and we'd be silly not to take advantage. The trick is in knowing when it's a deal of a lifetime and when it's just a chance to spend money we can't afford to spend or a chance to buy something "cheap" that we don't need and won't use.

Of course, my advice is biased. I'm a recovering deal-aholic. I've spent a ton of money on cheap stuff, closeouts and bargains. Now, I've decided to save up and buy only what I truly want--even if I have to buy the item at full price.

Last edited by melissa59; 02-02-2012 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Really terrible typing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #317  
Hardware Hotshot

My advise:
Look through your supplies and make a list of what you REALLY NEED. Take the DP with you that doesn't have matching cardstock and only buy the amount of card stock needed to use the DP. If you only have 2 pieces of DP in a particular pattern you don't need to buy 8 pieces of matching cardstock LOL

Avoid buying anything that is not on your list no matter how pretty or cheap it is .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #318  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
GRRR - now that I have put into print that I don't want to spend anything for the month of February, I get an email from our LSS that the ENTIRE STORE is having a 50% off sale - EVERYTHING!!!! (which, actually, doesn't sound good - is this a precursor to the "Store closing - everything must go" email to come? Lord, I hope not!)

and as I was labeling everything, it occurred to me that I don't really have tons and tons of solid cardstock. So, I am thinking that I might go through all of my designer paper and ensure that I have cardstock to go with it. Those that don't have matching cardstock, I might bring with me to the LSS and purchase cardstock to match. That way, I won't get frustrated and more likely to use the DP since I know I have cardstock to match. What do you all think?
I agree with what the others have said. Try and take in DSP that has no matching cardstock to go with buy that and close your eyes to all the other temptation that the store may throw at you i sure do wish you luck with that as i am not sure i'd be able to resist other stuff.

Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #319  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face Special Blessing

Wow ... talk about "paying it forward" I had the MOST AWESOME opportunity to not only get the Shared STASH BOX but I got to meet Zella for coffee as she passed it to me! We had a GREAT time together and let me just tell you, this box is splitting at the seams with all sorts of craft stuff!

I am delighted to find a new purple glitter pen, cute 4th of July stickers and some vellum phrases for some scrap pages ... but the box is full of stamps, inks, punches, pens, papers, trims/lace, stencils, stamped images ... etc ....

Who is next? If you're feeling a little withdrawal from something new to play with ... just let me know and the box will be on the way!

Last edited by Lmn; 02-04-2012 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #320  
Cardstock Collector

Well, here it is the first Saturday of February and so far I've been very good. Using un-inked stamps and what I've already got...I am truly amazed at all I'm able to do without buying a single thing...I have WAY TOO MUCH STUFF!
Reply With Quote Likes