Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #161  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I sent a request to join the Stamp Out Fat! group. It took me a bit to find what I was I looking for. Silly me, I didn't even know there were "groups" to join.

Do the posts in those "join" groups show up on the Internet during a Google search like the rest of the forum posts? Or are these membership required groups private?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #162  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LmnView Post
Question of the Month

-- What pushes you or When are you most likely to impulse buy?
My biggest downfall is love for snail mail and packages in my mail box! Next are all of the wonderful release previews/countdowns. Haul videos don't help, either

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #163  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking Interesting

Here's a Quote I pulled from Yahoo Health Article,

Researchers from Sheffield University in England found that sticking with something for five weeks is more likely to turn it into a habit, a lifestyle change. They monitored 94 people at a gym for 12 weeks, and found that those who showed up and sweated for five weeks straight had a much better chance of lasting the study's duration. "During the 5-week period, there seems to be a shift from initial voluntary control to repeated habitual behavior," says Christopher J. Armitage, Ph.D., the lead author.

The implications are huge: In a little more than a month, you can overcome your worst habits. Five weeks. Count �em on one hand. Could it be any easier?

I thought this was very applicable to our thread so Hang On February...here we come!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #164  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink Yup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
My biggest downfall is love for snail mail and packages in my mail box! Next are all of the wonderful release previews/countdowns. Haul videos don't help, either
It is fun to be expecting packages ... that's another Impulse driver.

I'm going back through our thread and put all of the those mentioned in a list for us as we go forward and continue to explore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #165  
Pearl-ExPert

Funny everyone should start talking exercise! That's my goal for 2012. I had a gym membership last year and the year before and lasted 8/6 months respectively. I looked and felt amazing! I want to stick with it all year round this time! I had to drop out due to the costs each time, but this year I will do my best to stay and cutting down unnecessary craft spending should help with that. I never struggled with my weight, it's mostly my higher energy level and zest for life I miss when not being active enough. Here's to a healthier 2012!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #166  
Compulsive Stamper

Well have still managed to not spend anything so far this month. Hasn't stopped me searching the internet for things though. I think that has to be my biggest down fall is being able to look at all the pretty & cool stuff out there but really it doesn't mean i have to have it right?

i managed to make two cards in the weekend one for my s-i-l birthday on the 22 nd of this month & my nephew's 4 b'day coming up on 1 st of Feb. Now tell me how long does it take for you guys to make a card i seem to take about half a day (admittedly i didn't mind that for my sister-in-laws card as it was quite involved etc) but my nephews was quite simple yet took nearly as long. No wonder i don't get many made lol. As for scrapbook pages man that takes me waaaay to long.

I hope your all having a good day. Keep up the good work on your budgets and weight challenges.
nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #167  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
My worst down fall is things on my wish lists and price increases or things being discontinued. I can't afford to just willy nilly impulse buy since I don't carry a credit card balance. I pay the credit card in full when it comes.

I tore up all my wish lists to start this challenge and have caught myself at least a dozen times or more grabbing an index card and a pencil to put something on a wish list :oops:

I " had" an index card for Spellbinders, Justrite, Copics, Memory box and Gina K
Each time I saw something I thought I wanted I wrote it on the wish list.

Then if something on my list was going to increase in price or be discontinued I scrambled to readjust my budget to buy it. Plus if there was a great sale on things on my wish lists I would do more budget readjusting to buy them. I don't go in debt, but My wish lists were running my finances.
As the wish lists grew and grew I could not see how I could possibly afford to get all those things and I became discouraged.

I forgot that the first rule when you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging!

Stop doing what got you in the hole .

I only have a select few blogs I watch , but on those blogs I constantly see things I want. I don't want to stop visiting those blogs because they give me so much pleasure. So I am struggling with enjoying their creations and not wanting so much of what I see and stop putting things on a wish list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #168  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by candukiwiView Post
Well have still managed to not spend anything so far this month. Hasn't stopped me searching the internet for things though. I think that has to be my biggest down fall is being able to look at all the pretty & cool stuff out there but really it doesn't mean i have to have it right?

i managed to make two cards in the weekend one for my s-i-l birthday on the 22 nd of this month & my nephew's 4 b'day coming up on 1 st of Feb. Now tell me how long does it take for you guys to make a card i seem to take about half a day (admittedly i didn't mind that for my sister-in-laws card as it was quite involved etc) but my nephews was quite simple yet took nearly as long. No wonder i don't get many made lol. As for scrapbook pages man that takes me waaaay to long.

I hope your all having a good day. Keep up the good work on your budgets and weight challenges.
nicole

That is awesome that you got cards done and are doing well! The internet is hard for me too. It's just too darn easy to look at everything and make an impulse decision.
One of my close friends laughed at me today. I told her I was kicking myself for buying stuff the other day, cause when I go to put it away, it's a challenge figuring out where to put it. (I think that is a sign of having PLENTY in a small house!) She laughed, and said "Yes, but will you remember that next week?" She knows me well! Ever since I got sick, my thinking is so disorganized and my memory is very short. I have to FOCUS.
Went ahead and ordered a couple dance games for the Wii after checking them out on youtube. If you're short on cash and want to do some, they do have some full length ones on youtube. They were very helpful in helping me decide which ones to get. I tried doing them in my room in front of the computer, but the area is so small that I accidently popped one of my cats in the head while trying to dance to one. I think my cat will appreciate me buying it and working out to it in the living room. :rolleyes:
She is alright though. I had to give her smooches and tell her how sorry I was. I think she has forgiven me!
I guess my mantra for the near future is "my house is full; my house is full!" ;)
Lmn, thanks for posting that about how long it takes to make a routine a habit. Maybe there is hope for me. Although, hubby brought twinkies into the house today! How can I resist the lure of the twinkie!!! GGGRR!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #169  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

nicole
It takes me forever to do a simple card too.. but I still enjoy it. Did 2 cards, the same and it took me 1.5 hours. It's cleaning up the mess I make that takes even longer! LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #170  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamouseView Post
It takes me forever to do a simple card too.. but I still enjoy it. Did 2 cards, the same and it took me 1.5 hours. It's cleaning up the mess I make that takes even longer! LOL.
I am glad I'm not the only one that takes a while then;)Oh don't even mention the tidying up and how long that takes me LOL. But your right I absolutely love making the cards and won't give it up anytime soon. I am pretty sure everyone that receives them are pretty happy with the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #171  
Watercolor Wizard

Sometimes I am totally amazed at how much of a mess I can make making one stinkin' card! I have things all over my table and all over the floor!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #172  
Compulsive Stamper

hoptown racer,

i am glad your cat has forgiven you for the bop on the head you gave him. I am sorry you've been sick I hope you are well on the road to recovery. Good luck with the wii dancing. Which ones did you end up getting? I probably won't get the dance ones as I think I will be laughing too hard at my attempt to dance as i have absolutely no rhythmic impulse at all. I have a lot of the fitness ones now I just have to find the dedication to commit to them. i used to go to a personal trainer but in the end it gets quite expensive but I am more likely to keep on exercising during the week where now i have nobody telling me to get going except myself.

Well I hope your all have a spend free day.
Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #173  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
Sometimes I am totally amazed at how much of a mess I can make making one stinkin' card! I have things all over my table and all over the floor!
Not to mention I seem to think i need do go through every room in the house and leave stuff there too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #174  
Die Cut Diva

Once we make it through today and tomorrow, we'll have made it through half the month. Woo-hoo!!

I have to admit that temptation has not been that strong for me this month. Maybe it's because I like the idea of hanging onto my $100 Christmas money. Or maybe it's because my mind is on organizing more than shopping. Or maybe it's because this challenge has helped me reel in my temptations. I'm guessing it's a little of all three.

Today, I woke early (well, early for me) and decided that I was not going to get on the computer until I got on the treadmill. Well, the treadmill didn't happen. My son's knee popped out of socket (something that happens more and more often lately). I heard him go down. I jumped up to go after him and did something to my own leg. I think it's just a pulled muscle, but it hurts from the center of my calf to just above the bend behind my knee. I can hardly limp my way through the house. :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #175  
Die Cut Diva

Forgot to add that I'm not seeing the Stamp Out Fat forum. I requested to join the group in the wee hours of a.m. on Friday. Will the "Join a Group" section where I sent the request tell me when I've been approved?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #176  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink I'll check!

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Forgot to add that I'm not seeing the Stamp Out Fat forum. I requested to join the group in the wee hours of a.m. on Friday. Will the "Join a Group" section where I sent the request tell me when I've been approved?
For those of you that requested Membership, I'll check on the Approvals

Sorry it's taking so long, I think that area is a little slow right now so no one looked. We'll get you all there soon! I think we should plan to start our Fitness Challenge Feb 1 ... but we can chat about that in the thread when you all get there!!

Hang On ... More to come
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #177  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking Yes!

Quote:

Once we make it through today and tomorrow, we'll have made it through half the month. Woo-hoo!!

I have to admit that temptation has not been that strong for me this month. Maybe it's because I like the idea of hanging onto my $100 Christmas money. Or maybe it's because my mind is on organizing more than shopping. Or maybe it's because this challenge has helped me reel in my temptations. I'm guessing it's a little of all three.
I have to agree Melissa. I think I've been doing ok because I've been digging through stash and finding items I want to use and that's helping. I've re-organized some shelves and feel I have better access. I really think the Challenge is helping me to stay on track ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
My worst down fall is things on my wish lists and price increases or things being discontinued. I forgot that the first rule when you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging!

Stop doing what got you in the hole .

I only have a select few blogs I watch , but on those blogs I constantly see things I want. I don't want to stop visiting those blogs because they give me so much pleasure. So I am struggling with enjoying their creations and not wanting so much of what I see and stop putting things on a wish list.
Barbara, while I don't make wish lists, I do struggle when my fave company's come out with "retiring" lists or new Idea Books. I think next month will be the real test for me. Although I'm not going to go "no spending" next month, I do want to budget and spend wisely and I haven't always done that in the past when new Idea Books come out. It's just so fun to place a big order and have lots of stampin' / scrappin' goodies on the way.

I'm pleased to say I purchased 1 pack of "retiring" paper in December as I had half the layouts done for Christmas and wanted to finish and nothing else. Guess What?! I've seen the new catty and I like just as many papers and items in there SO it was an "A Ha" Moment for me that I really didn't need all that retiring stuff because it would have just sat in my stash as soon as I saw the new stuff.

I feel like I've been very inspired this month and done quite a bit of stampin' and scrappin'. I'm not sure if its our challenge or its just the month but getting the papers and items created, shared and in books is all good! :o

Last edited by Lmn; 01-15-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #178  
Compulsive Stamper

Hello everyone,

Well I managed to walk through a craft section of a store & leave everything on the shelf. Very happy about that.

Now I just have to go through my stashes of everything and make 2 more cards for this month and i really should get going with my scrapbooking. My hubby, niece & I all went to Disneyland in June 2011 & i haven't even started scrapping those yet. i got out my trusty Becky Higgins sketches & it has got me a little excited about a place to start anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #179  
Compulsive Stamper

It's a holiday for me at work, so I've set today aside as a ME-ME-ME day! Which basically means, I get to spend time in my craft room. After cleaning up the last mess that's still waiting for me there, I need to make a couple of cards, then hope to scrap a couple of pages. Very excited about getting back to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #180  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resisted temptation yesterday! I was preparing for an up-coming all day crop, organizing photos and selecting paper/cardstock to go with them. I came to my nephew's hockey pictures and was stumped. I do have a set of hockey papers, but was saving them for my son's hockey pictures. I went to a site to order some more, but for some reason just couldn't do it. So, I went back into my stash of papers and all of a sudden a series of black and white patterned paper jumped out at me. I searched through, and found some paper that was black and white floral - but the reverse side was distressed black and white with no pattern that reminded me of ice - perfect! Add some hockey embellishments, and no-one would ever know that it wasn't hockey themed paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #181  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, so I was sick all weekend and what did I do but browse the internet and look at stuff for sell! I didn't purchase anything but boy was I tempted to get some of those new Hero Arts. I am starting to realize that when I am bored I habitually start looking at stuff to buy even when I really don't need it. I have done so well so far w/out spending this month. I have to tell you though it is really hard to be this good. At least for me it is. I feel like an addict trying overcome an addiction....

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #182  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamouseView Post
It's a holiday for me at work, so I've set today aside as a ME-ME-ME day! Which basically means, I get to spend time in my craft room. After cleaning up the last mess that's still waiting for me there, I need to make a couple of cards, then hope to scrap a couple of pages. Very excited about getting back to it.
Sounds like a great plan for getting your stuff done!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #183  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Resisted temptation yesterday! I was preparing for an up-coming all day crop, organizing photos and selecting paper/cardstock to go with them. I came to my nephew's hockey pictures and was stumped. I do have a set of hockey papers, but was saving them for my son's hockey pictures. I went to a site to order some more, but for some reason just couldn't do it. So, I went back into my stash of papers and all of a sudden a series of black and white patterned paper jumped out at me. I searched through, and found some paper that was black and white floral - but the reverse side was distressed black and white with no pattern that reminded me of ice - perfect! Add some hockey embellishments, and no-one would ever know that it wasn't hockey themed paper.
Awesome temptation resist and even better using your stash!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #184  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LmnView Post
For those of you that requested Membership, I'll check on the Approvals

Sorry it's taking so long, I think that area is a little slow right now so no one looked. We'll get you all there soon! I think we should plan to start our Fitness Challenge Feb 1 ... but we can chat about that in the thread when you all get there!!

Hang On ... More to come
Please enlighten me more. I really need the get fit forum too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #185  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post
Okay, so I was sick all weekend and what did I do but browse the internet and look at stuff for sell! I didn't purchase anything but boy was I tempted to get some of those new Hero Arts. I am starting to realize that when I am bored I habitually start looking at stuff to buy even when I really don't need it. I have done so well so far w/out spending this month. I have to tell you though it is really hard to be this good. At least for me it is. I feel like an addict trying overcome an addiction....
Well done on the resist smokiesgal. may it long continue for us. They do saying scrapbooking & cardmaking is an addictive. i know once i got started i couldn't give it up easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #186  
Matboard Maniac

HoptownRacerCar...I understand about the small space. What I have done is gotten all my organizing stuff setup. I have designated a certain, fair, amount of space for everything...ahem...except for stamps. I don't have that many so I'm in no space danger for now. When that space is full I can't add anything else to that category until it is either used or PIF'd...gone. Not about to be gone, but actually gone. I mean how much paper do I really need...especially since I tire of stuff quickly. My motto use right now use it or loose it!!

Ladies those of you that have resisted...KUDOS!!

Well I haven't spent any more money. I did get a few, staple, goodies in a variety gift basket from my sister for my birthday...whew!

Since I had crafted in about two years it was harder than I thought to create something. I've had my craft corner organized for almost two weeks. Well last night I finally forced myself to sit down and do something...anything at all. After about thirty mins of staring at stuff I finally pulled out a stamp and stamped on some blank paper...I can't believe how overwhelmed I was. Prior to that two year period I had scrapbooked for almost a decade! Anyways...I pushed myself again today and I created a tag and now feel much, MUCH BETTER. I wonder why I had such anxiety!!??

On another note...I'm looking forward to beginning my healthy lifestyle change on Feb 1. To treat myself I spent 10 bucks on some new music (I'm budgeting EVERYTHING). I'm trying to create a fun playlist to keep me encouraged! I'm going to walk on the treadmill in two twenty min increments (morning and evening). When the weather warms a bit, I will walk outside. I want to add a Hula Hoop to the mix in April!

Thank you all for the encouragement!! Off to make an actual card...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #187  
Compulsive Stamper

Spent a couple of hours cleaning and sorting scraps this morning in the crap/craft room.

Actually got 9 cards done! And... started on the first page of the Japan scrapbook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #188  
Die Cut Diva

Hooray for all those who are finding ways to stay within their budget!
And Kudos to Elizabeth for shopping her stash!!
We have made it past January's halfway mark. Woo-hoo!

I've not been window shopping at any stores, but I've done plenty of online window shopping the past couple of weeks. None of the new Stampin' Up items are calling my name. Same with the new Papertrey Ink release. Spellbinders, on the other hand might be my downfall ... but not until next month and only if I budget for it.

I was thinking about buying Ikea Bygel rails to organize my punches, but I just might leave them stuffed in the shoe holder a few more months. I have only a few die and embossing folders/texture plates. I'm weighing variety with organization and variety appears to be winning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #189  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Guess what? I found a new way to resist the urge to buy!!! Buy tires! Yep, had to buy tires for one of the cars this weekend - $230 later...and then paying AAA for the year....$150 later....and then my car exhaust went out....$??? (haven't got the bill from that one yet).....all that really curbs the spending! LOL!!!

Honestly though, I was very proud of myself this weekend cause I was determined to make a run to Pat Catans to get a few things for a swap I had to get...but then I looked at what I had already gotten and realized I didn't need a thing. Now I know buying for a swap wouldn't really be buying for me...but alas, the flesh is weak and if I had walked in Pat Catan's you can be assured that something in the bag I walked out with would have been for me. :( So I just didn't go! YEAH!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #190  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by russnzellaView Post
Guess what? I found a new way to resist the urge to buy!!! Buy tires! Yep, had to buy tires for one of the cars this weekend - $230 later...
If you paid $230 for all four tires, you got a deal! I had to buy two tires last month and it cost me that much by the time they added tax and all the recycling and hazardous emissions fees. I got the same exact tires as the last time from the same exact place. The per tire price jumped from $59 to $85 in just four or five years. Apparently, the price of oil increases the price of rubber.

I quit shopping for swaps a couple years ago. No brad swaps, no recipe swaps, no ribbon swaps. Sure, it's fun. But for me it just wasn't worth it. It didn't take long for me to realize that my taste isn't the same as others. I ended up mostly with stuff I wouldn't use. I figured I'd be better off spending the money buying stuff for ME, ME, ME. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #191  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 281 Likes on 232 Posts

Well, my January goal was to stamp from my stash, and I've done pretty well... 14 cards made - but last night I blew it and bought the new VIP kit from MFT. I had a $10 gift certificate to spend and I saw the new Pure Innocence stamps in the kit and thought they were precious, so I applied it to my purchase and got 3 sets and a die plus shipping for $21.50. Of course I second guessed myself right away and wondered -- if I was going to spend the money -- why didn't I get 2 sets and a die off my wish list that I had lots of ideas for, rather than the "just released" ones that hadn't stood the test of being on my wish list for awhile and me still wanting them. Can you say impulse shopper??? Not to say I won't use these. They both remind me of my daughters when they were little and they are sweet as can be, but now I really want to go back and order a few more sets and dies that are on my wish list! Well, only if I have some extra spending money at the end of this month!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #192  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I quit shopping for swaps a couple years ago. No brad swaps, no recipe swaps, no ribbon swaps. Sure, it's fun. But for me it just wasn't worth it. It didn't take long for me to realize that my taste isn't the same as others. I ended up mostly with stuff I wouldn't use. I figured I'd be better off spending the money buying stuff for ME, ME, ME. LOL
I need to do what you did Melissa! Quit swaps altogether! I'd hate to try to figure out how much I've spent in postage alone not even considering the items to put into the envelopes/packages! Swaps are a blast - don't get me wrong - but every penny I've spent could have gone on me and then some considering postage. I've gotten some terrific things from swaps (cards, items) but I've given away most of the cards I've received since as much as I like to MAKE cards I'm horrible at SENDING cards and as far as the supplies go alot of it either hasn't been my style or to my liking and those things have been given away also (mostly to my DIL or the thrift store).

So far this month I've only purchased adhesives which means I haven't stuck completely to my "stash" but I don't "stash" adesives (for the most part - I'd like to order a case of Tombo refills but that order hasn't been in the budget).

It's cold in my part of the world today but not as cold as some places so I guess for that I should be grateful. Normal for us would have been to have had at least a week of below zero temps this winter and we've had none so far.

Have a great day ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #193  

Oh Melissa, that was just two tires....and guess what? The money pit for me continues! My car repair that I thought was only going to be $30 or $40 to weld a piece of my exhaust back together - well, that's all THAT repair cost...but while they had it up on the rack they discovered some other issues such as a leaking water pump and a cracked something or another...LOL!!....so my $30 repair turned into $300!!! And I still need to get 2 new tire for my car...but fortunately they are only 13" tires instead of the 16" ones we had to buy for DH's car this past weekend. Ah, but in the end it's all cheaper than a monthly car payment.

I agree with you and Lynn about swaps. I so enjoy it - but I when I sit down and realize what I'm spending in postage.....Now I do use the cards so that's not a problem...but I think those swaps where we are just swapping products around - I'm not signing up for any more of those. Just have to draw the line somewhere.

Amazingly enough we didn't blow off the earth last night although I really was beginning to wonder at one point last night! LOL!! Today is cold - in the 20's...and we woke up to snow again....and 90% chance of snow tomorrow too. But then we go back into the 40's so it will all be gone again soon. This has been one strange winter - but I'll take it! Especially since last winter seemed like "snowmagedon".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #194  
Die Cut Diva

I'm a Southern California gal. It's noon and it's a FREEZING 59 degrees outside. Yeah, I'm told that freezing is actually 32 degrees, but we SoCal people begin to freeze when the temps dip below 60. Brrrrrrrrr

Zella, I totally feel for you with the auto expenses. I'm going to get hit hard late this year. I have an engine check light that stays on and I won't be able to get my car smogged and registered until it's fixed. Unfortunately, I've been to two mechanics and neither were able to find or fix the problem. Nothing I can do about it now, so I'm trying not to worry.

Here's my trick to not spending ...
I'm long-time unemployed, have exhausted my unemployment benefits, and have no significant other to pitch in. I have even started casting my line out for part-time positions--but so far, no employers are biting. I'm between a rock and a hard place, it seems. No bachelors or masters degree makes me under-qualified for most positions which people in my former (dying) field would normally apply. But my years in my last position makes me over-qualified for others--at least that's the excuse at least two employers have given.

I'm luckier than most--only utilities, food, gasoline and my son's college classes and books to pay for. We are doing just fine right now, but something has got to shake loose pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #195  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Quote:

hoptown racer,

i am glad your cat has forgiven you for the bop on the head you gave him. I am sorry you've been sick I hope you are well on the road to recovery. Good luck with the wii dancing. Which ones did you end up getting? I probably won't get the dance ones as I think I will be laughing too hard at my attempt to dance as i have absolutely no rhythmic impulse at all. I have a lot of the fitness ones now I just have to find the dedication to commit to them. i used to go to a personal trainer but in the end it gets quite expensive but I am more likely to keep on exercising during the week where now i have nobody telling me to get going except myself.

Well I hope your all have a spend free day.
Nicole
Yes, my kitty forgave me; she is a sweetheart! Yesterday, I recieved the Just Dance 2 and Wii Sports games. I love the tennis on the Wii Sports. Haven't tried the boxing yet; I've heard it's hard. And I stunk at baseball; will have to work on that one! I haven't recieved the Abba one yet. Looking foward to it. Didn't try the Dance one yet. Hubby was sick with a nasty virus and was trying to sleep early last night. Might have to wait and try it out when he's home in a bit. (He could probably use a good laugh!)
Sort of missed out on working out a few days or crafting. My m-i-l had to go to the hospital, and husband is still sick (Don't know how he is making it through work today.) But getting back on track. M-i-l is supposed to go home from the hospital today, but my husband can't get around her being sick.
Haven't bought any craft stuff though, so that's good. Everyone sounds like they are doing so good, and getting so much made! So motivating reading everyone's posts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #196  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I'm a Southern California gal. It's noon and it's a FREEZING 59 degrees outside. Yeah, I'm told that freezing is actually 32 degrees, but we SoCal people begin to freeze when the temps dip below 60. Brrrrrrrrr

Zella, I totally feel for you with the auto expenses. I'm going to get hit hard late this year. I have an engine check light that stays on and I won't be able to get my car smogged and registered until it's fixed. Unfortunately, I've been to two mechanics and neither were able to find or fix the problem. Nothing I can do about it now, so I'm trying not to worry.

I'm long-time unemployed, have exhausted my unemployment benefits, and have no significant other to pitch in. I have even started casting my line out for part-time positions--but so far, no employers are biting. I'm between a rock and a hard place, it seems. No bachelors or masters degree makes me under-qualified for most positions which people in my former (dying) field would normally apply. But my years in my last position makes me over-qualified for others--at least that's the excuse at least two employers have given.

I'm luckier than most--only utilities, food, gasoline and my son's college classes and books to pay for. We are doing just fine right now, but something has got to shake loose pretty soon.
Hope something good comes your way soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #197  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh Melissa, hugs going out to you. I hope and pray something comes your way soon for unemployment. I was on that line a few yrs back and so was my sister in law. Everything you put in for was online and you never heard anything back from employers. Seems like the way you apply for jobs now is so different than it used to be. I got up one day and just decided to drive myself to the employers I was interested in working at and that is how I got my job. It started as part-time but now I am full-time again. Same thing happened to my SIL. She got a job a mile down the road from her hse after she physically started knocking on doors. I don't know the situation where you are at but I certainly hope things change for you soon.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #198  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post
Oh Melissa, hugs going out to you. I hope and pray something comes your way soon for unemployment. I was on that line a few yrs back and so was my sister in law. Everything you put in for was online and you never heard anything back from employers. Seems like the way you apply for jobs now is so different than it used to be. I got up one day and just decided to drive myself to the employers I was interested in working at and that is how I got my job. It started as part-time but now I am full-time again. Same thing happened to my SIL. She got a job a mile down the road from her hse after she physically started knocking on doors. I don't know the situation where you are at but I certainly hope things change for you soon.
That's a good idea. I was just telling someone the other day that I thought I'd have a better chance if I could just apply in person. Sadly, I've learned there are a lot of people out there who are lying on their applications. I have enough trouble touting my achievements and qualifications without going the extra mile to make up lies.

Good to hear that you and your sister in law both found work. That gives me hope!

I know so many people who were laid off in the past three years, many of them still not full-time employed. Of course, a lot were former coworkers (journalism). Others include my dad (from his part-time "for something to do" job) my ex-husband (construction), my oldest son (logistics). Unemployment is truly an epidemic in our area.

Last edited by melissa59; 01-18-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #199  

Melissa, I think we go through the same things in life! I was unemployeed for about a year at one point. Was laid off the the job where they gave me the rave review in my evaluation and gave me a big raise (making more money than I ever had before) then within 6 months laid me off cause I made more money than anyone in my dept. UGH! And like you - no degree. I went to college and was about 2 semesters shy of graduation - but then my father passed away and I couldn't think about being a burden to my mother so I went to work to help out. Of course I said I would go back and finish once we both got on our feet...and that was 20 years ago. Now if I went back it would be almost like starting over cause so much isn't even offered anymore. So like you, when I went to apply for jobs - I was either over qualified or when they saw how much I made at my last job - they were scared I would expect that again. I did have luck through temp agencies though and that is how I found the job I have now. The thing I learned about temp agencies though is that you really have to keep after them...you know - the one that screams the loudest gets the most attention. And don't be afraid of a "temp only" job either cause I took a temp only job that was supposed to be only 3 weeks....and after a day and a half I was done with what they wanted me to do....so they found more for me to do....and more...and more. In the 3 years I was there the company changed names twice and eventually was closed down (which is why I'm not there any longer). They would have hired me but they had a hiring freeze on and then once they were slated for closure - well, what's the point ya know. Anyway - don't get discouraged girlfriend, you'll find something! And it might even be something you never thought you would be doing! Today I make less money than I have in 10 years. But you know what? I'm only 2 miles from home, love the people I work with, and love what I do. You'll find that too! I'm certain of it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #200  
Pearl-ExPert

Zella, the traveling stash box will be mailed your way tomorrow I have just finished packing it. Enjoy the goodies!

Reply With Quote Likes