Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #81  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okie dokie, just placed my big planned SU order...the last until April. I got everything I needed for all the cards I need to make between now and then plus a couple scrapbook projects. I got mostly punches, cardstock, ink and a couple of markers. I only got 2 stamp sets and one single stamp all purchased with a specific project in mind. I don't already own a wedding set so I got one of those, and the new tea shoppe set for a scrapbook project, and lastly the St. Patrick's Day stamp (didn't have one).

So perhaps it is not exactly "budget", but it was well planned. I made out project sheets for all my cards and scrapping projects so nothing extraneous was purchased just because it looked cute. Most of what I purchased is pretty versitile which is great. I can always look in the gallery or youtube for new ideas for the punches.

One of my projects for this year is to make card organizers with cards for family members for Christmas. So I should be plenty busy between now and April.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #82  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 281 Likes on 232 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smile160View Post
One of my projects for this year is to make card organizers with cards for family members for Christmas. So I should be plenty busy between now and April.
Do you have a template or something that you are using for this? It sounds intriguing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #83  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by T. JoyView Post
Do you have a template or something that you are using for this? It sounds intriguing!
Well to be honest, I haven't decided exactly what I am going to use for the organizer part. I had thought SU had a preassembled box and lid that can be decorated, but now I can't find it in the catalog. :( I have also seen spiral bound ones that are nice too. In fact this link is how I found SCS in the first place.

Splitcoaststampers - Card Organizer Project Tutorial by Beate Johns

If I go with a bound book I would need to purchase a Cinch, which is on my wish list for this year anyway and could be purchased on sale or with a coupon. Right now I am leaning towards a box. Michaels and Joann's have photo boxes that ususally go on sale few times a year. It wouldn't be personally decorated, but I believe they do come with dividers. The goal is to give something that can be refilled each year. Many in my family no longer want things to dust and take up space and you can only give restaurant gift cards so long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #84  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One of my planned projects is a gift card address book, something where I can keep addresses of people I wish to send cards to. I don't want it to be in alpha order, like a regular address book. I'd rather have it birthday order, to remind me to send out a birthday card--something I never did before.

Those photo boxes are really handy! I have several, but none of them have photos! LOL I use them to store my inks, craft paint, embossing powder, etc. I cleared a couple as I during my ongoing room organization project and am going to use one for my receipt box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well to be honest, I haven't decided exactly what I am going to use for the organizer part. I had thought SU had a preassembled box and lid that can be decorated, but now I can't find it in the catalog. :( I have also seen spiral bound ones that are nice too. In fact this link is how I found SCS in the first place.

Splitcoaststampers - Card Organizer Project Tutorial by Beate Johns

If I go with a bound book I would need to purchase a Cinch, which is on my wish list for this year anyway and could be purchased on sale or with a coupon. Right now I am leaning towards a box. Michaels and Joann's have photo boxes that ususally go on sale few times a year. It wouldn't be personally decorated, but I believe they do come with dividers. The goal is to give something that can be refilled each year. Many in my family no longer want things to dust and take up space and you can only give restaurant gift cards so long.
Many of those boxes are solid colors (kraft, white, pink, green) and can be easily personalized. The biggest problem is that they are sized for photos and not cards so, for me, they don't work well if I'm going to seriously fill it with cards. We made one not long ago out of file folders held together with clip/rings.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #86  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
Many of those boxes are solid colors (kraft, white, pink, green) and can be easily personalized. The biggest problem is that they are sized for photos and not cards so, for me, they don't work well if I'm going to seriously fill it with cards. We made one not long ago out of file folders held together with clip/rings.
Do you make different sized cards? I think it may work for me because all my cards are 4 1/4 by 5 1/2. Good thing I have lots of time to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #87  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up Whew - Made It!

Today I stopped for wrapping paper and since the only coupon I had in the car was Hobby Lobby I tried it and made it! I spent a little under $2 and that was for the wrapping paper. I even walked through the scrap area because you know I just couldn't at least not browse. ;)

It really gave me pause though to think what I might have picked up had I not been doing this challenge and January being a "no spend" month for me.

I was especially excited to think that it's day 4 and my receipt box is still empty, hahaha!

Now off to create
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #88  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi,
I have been reading this post and thinking i really need to join as i buy because it's there and I just have to have it right now. i am a stampin up demo but am my only customer with the odd person putting orders in once in a while. I had a huge clean out of my craft room before christmas and had a huge box of things that I realized i just probably won't use (from a kit club i used to belong to) which is sad and very bad of me. LOL. I also went through my stampin up stuff and had a medium box of stamps that have retired & of course when they did their colour overhaul i was left with stuff that i can't match with much. I am a sucker for nesties but find I definately use these so in the future will probably add to those.
i think I am going to just use what i have till about march when my next quarter is for SU. But will limit purchases to card stock & tools.

Thanks for a great thread.
Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Count me in!

Hello, ladies!
I recognize some names from the other threads... I'd like to join you all this year to control my spending on crafts. I have all of the basics and at this point mostly buy something I like/don't have yet... I will continue to do so, but would love to do it on a smaller scale. I will join Barbara this month and have a 'time-out'. It shouldn't be hard because Santa brought me some new goodies I haven't played with yet which will keep me busy in January.
Thank you for starting this thread, Lela!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #90  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I passed the Temptation Test today!!! I am sooo happy. Now that I have committed to not spending for the month of January I feel like I overcame a big hurdle. I had to go to Petsmart to big up the furries some food. Joann's is next door to Petsmart. Well, curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see if I could resist the temptation so I went inside the store. I walked the entire store and did NOT buy the first thing! I even had 2 coupons in my purse. There were a lot of sales but I honestly did not see anything I could not live without. I was one happy gal when I left there!!!!

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #91  
Mad Swapper

I have been without internet or tv for the last few days and it has been great. I cleaned up/out my craft area, as well as a couple of other rooms in the house, and I have a couple of boxes of craft stuff that I no longer use or want so one of the boxes is going to Salvation Army and the other box, which has Stampin Up stuff, is going to my friend who is a Stampin Up demo. It was scary how much stuff I actually had that I do not use, it will sure make me think twice before buying something again. I did get some supplies that I ordered the first part of December today so I played with them a bit then I colored some images so that I can make cards with them later this week. It is nice knowing that I can make do with what I have on hand and not feel like I am missing out on anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #92  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Oh! I'm afraid of spending too much for this challenge!

French-Canadian SU! Demo and Fan Club member

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have... Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #93  
Matboard Maniac

All you ladies who resisted temptation...GOOD JOB!!! Keep it up I am going to buy my ink on Saturday and you ladies have inspired me!

Being held accountable sure does work...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #94  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Okie dokie, just placed my big planned SU order...the last until April. I got everything I needed for all the cards I need to make between now and then plus a couple scrapbook projects. I got mostly punches, cardstock, ink and a couple of markers. I only got 2 stamp sets and one single stamp all purchased with a specific project in mind. I don't already own a wedding set so I got one of those, and the new tea shoppe set for a scrapbook project, and lastly the St. Patrick's Day stamp (didn't have one).

So perhaps it is not exactly "budget", but it was well planned. I made out project sheets for all my cards and scrapping projects so nothing extraneous was purchased just because it looked cute. Most of what I purchased is pretty versitile which is great. I can always look in the gallery or youtube for new ideas for the punches.

Why didn't you wait until Sale a Bration started? You could have gotten freebees on top of what you ordered!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #95  
Watercolor Wizard

Good morning ladies! I'll need to go to the dreaded craft store soon. I joined a swap and I need to pick up a tombo refill for my gal. Does buying for a swap mean breaking the no spend rule for January? I wouldn't be spending on myself? I was able to recycle alot of my stash for the swap (and this swap said that was fine). Each and every item in the package is brand new. It amazes me how much I've purchased and never used just because I "liked" it. I'm basically a clean and simple gal when it comes to cards and have never gotten ornate with scrapbook pages (started with CM who emphasizes the pictures not the embellishments) so why do I need all of the embellies hanging around?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #96  

Here's a quote to help us all in our quest to spend less...

If I have enough for the project I'm working on, I have enough.

I thought of that today, when I was going to complain that I was getting low on dp. I realized that, while my dp stash is much smaller than most people's, I still have enough to make the cards I need to make - probably for quite awhile. And who says I even need to use dp? When I was an SU demo years ago, dp was almost unheard of, and using it was like "cheating". Now I feel obsessed to have it on every card. I guess it's all in the perspective, isn't it??? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #97  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Count me in!

Hello, ladies!
I'd love to join you all in the hope of keeping to a budget in crafting. I typed up a huge post yesterday and my computer shut off on me right before I clicked 'post'... so I will be back with more info some time today...
PS: Never mind, it actually did post it before shutting down, phew...should have looked through the thread first, sorry!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #98  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
Why didn't you wait until Sale a Bration started? You could have gotten freebees on top of what you ordered!
Well I have some cards that need to get done in January and Sale a Bration doesn't start until the 24th. :( I was down to only my Christmas colors in cardstock. Also, I wanted to get some of the clearance punches and the clearance only goes through Jan. 5th.

Last edited by Smile160; 01-05-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #99  
Pearl-ExPert

Tricia, I could share some of my DP with you... let me know what you like!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #100  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
Tricia, I could share some of my DP with you... let me know what you like!
Really? Really? I'll pm you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #101  
Die Cut Diva

Today I received the new JoAnn's ad in the mail. I thumbed through it and tossed it into the trash! Normally, I hang onto them until they expire, just in case I want to use the coupon. No JoAnn's coupons being used by me this month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #102  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't even thumb through the Joann flyer. It went from the mailbox directly to the recycling dumpster.

After my January "fast" I am going back to buying with a purpose.
I will only go to the store or look on line when I want/need something for a project. My next Birthday card is not needed until Feb 1st and I have what I need for that. "If" I do any challenges they will have to be made with what I have .
I believe I am skipping SAB this year too. There are some nice things in the mini, but nothing that says WOW to me. Plus there is the pressure to spend $50 to get a freebie.
In 2012 I am determined to only buy what I will use NOW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Today I received the new JoAnn's ad in the mail. I thumbed through it and tossed it into the trash! Normally, I hang onto them until they expire, just in case I want to use the coupon. No JoAnn's coupons being used by me this month!
Just tossed mine too! This is such a free feeling!

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

WOW, I haven't gotten mine yet. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #105  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I've come to confess.......and hanging my head low......

It's only January 6th...and I've already failed!!!! UGH!!!! Yes, I went over my spending limit. So now my new goal for the month is not to buy anything else this month! (Hmmm, wonder how long that one will last....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #106  
Watercolor Wizard

My goal for this month is to ONLY use my stash and so far so good but then again it's only the 6th. I do need to be a Tombo Refill to include in a swap package but since I'm not buying it for me I'm not going to count that. I just have to go into Michaels and not buy myself anything.....

Got some scrapbooking done today. Wahoo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #107  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm in! This may seem silly... but I'd really like to limit my scrapbooking purchases to one per week. Yes, I said one per week. Don't ask. My credit card is on fire! I hope to amend this to less per month as the year goes on, but I'm never one to go cold turkey.

Anna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #108  
Polyshrink Goddess

Subbing to this thread. I'd like to participate in some way.

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #109  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been following this thread for a few days....

Today, I am so proud of myself!!! I walked through A C Moore today...and all I bought was a package of 3 paper stumps (for prismacolor pencils/gamasol)...total spent $2.97 plus tax!!!! Yeah Me!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

Way to go Carol!

Zella, if you purchased it for someone else then you don't have to count it. We are both going to run into that this year.

I did get my JoAnn's add today and have not even bothered to look at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #111  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by russnzellaView Post
I've come to confess.......and hanging my head low......It's only January 6th...and I've already failed!!!! UGH!!!! Yes, I went over my spending limit. So now my new goal for the month is not to buy anything else this month! (Hmmm, wonder how long that one will last....)
This is not a pass or fail challenge. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, there is NO failure! Falling off the wagon happens, the important thing is that you climb back on. Exactly what you have done. I bet you'll do great the rest of this month!

Last edited by melissa59; 01-06-2012 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #112  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd like to join this challenge, too!

This month's budget will be fairly large because 1) Sale-A-Bration and 2) I'm going to a scrapbook store yard sale tomorrow.

After this month, I should be able to hold down my spending each month until the new SU! catty comes out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #113  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Smile

Is it too late to join? I think if I started from this day foward, I think I would do o.k.. I want to give myself a $25 limit, even though my goal is to spend $0. That way if I get a cheap organizational tool or buy something little, I won't be burdened with guilt. My other goal is not to buy anything online and pay by cash/check. No credit! No internet shopping (except for ATG refills). I know this won't be easy. After years of being frugal and careful, I turned into a craft junkie! Maybe with support, I can finally get a handle on it. I will have to watch my weak times, when I feel sick, sad or stressed. But I want to be sure to appreciate what I do have and be grateful. Reorganizing my room is helping; makes me realize what I already have and realize how short I am on space. I have a friend that sells CTMH, and that helps, because I can take my time and plan out if I need or want anything way in advance. She's really sweet, and I don't feel pressured. I liked the ideas of putting money in savings and buying the markers instead of pads. They are cheaper and easier to store. Hope I'm not too late! Thanks for this group.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #114  
Hardware Hotshot

Everyone is welcome to join at any time. We plan to give each other support and ideas on how to accomplish this goal of responsible spending or no spending which ever fits your needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #115  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Smile

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #116  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink Exactly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
This is not a pass or fail challenge. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, there is NO failure! Falling off the wagon happens, the important thing is that you climb back on. Exactly what you have done. I bet you'll do great the rest of this month!
Welcome to EVERYONE! I'll be updating our list of Challenge Crafters today! Remember, This thread is really for looking and understanding our craft spending habits and making sure we're comfortable with them. Whatever your motivation for reducing your spend, this is the place to be It also doesn't matter what you're goal is...for some it will be just using what they have, for others, a better spending limit.

I don't mind spending money on stamping / crafting supplies but this hobby seems to drive all of us to spend for supplies we don't, won't or can't use? I used to buy paper every time I saw some that was "pretty" or "neat" but I would get it home and not use it. Also, instead of buying just 1 sheet, I would buy 3 or 4 because that way if I did use 1-2 pieces I'd still have 1-2 pieces left ... for WHAT?! I guess for when they stopped making paper I liked? Goodness!

I love that this challenge makes us all cognizant of our spending habits, makes us aware of the spending we do and allows us to enjoy new ways to use supplies we have thus reducing waste.

Craft On!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #117  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Arrow Reminder!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LmnView Post
Question of the Month

-- What pushes you or When are you most likely to impulse buy?

January Challenge

-- Design & Create or Find a "Receipt" Keeper. This can be a decorated envelope, folder, box or ??? to keep your 2012 Craft Spending Receipts ---
January Challenge

Don't forget our January Challenge & Question of the Month

* the challenge is to designate a spot to put all craft spending receipts for 2012. That way, at the end of the year we can assess if we use our craft $$ wisely or impulse spending gets the best of us ;) *

* the question is just to encourage discussion on awareness for all of us to think about what motivates us to spend *
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #118  
Watercolor Wizard

Good morning ladies. I will be stopping at Michaels today. I need that one last thing for a swap package. My challenge will be to not buy anything else. Not even something out of the dollar bin!

Gave my little guy a bath and will be clipping him when he dries. I'm not as good as the groomer but free is a lot better than $45. I bought clippers over a year ago so they were a very good investment. I think we should think that way about our basic craft tools!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #119  
Die Cut Diva

I finished my receipt box. I did sort of a steampunk thing, finally using some clockworks that I bought last year. It's a worn photo box, covered with DCWV Old World paper and stamped. I put a slot in the side where I can slip in the receipts and attached the parts to make a weight and pulley mechanism that keeps the box lid from opening. Silly, I know. But it was fun to build.
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/...p/receipts.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #120  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LmnView Post
I don't mind spending money on stamping / crafting supplies but this hobby seems to drive all of us to spend for supplies we don't, won't or can't use? I used to buy paper every time I saw some that was "pretty" or "neat" but I would get it home and not use it. Also, instead of buying just 1 sheet, I would buy 3 or 4 because that way if I did use 1-2 pieces I'd still have 1-2 pieces left ... for WHAT?! I guess for when they stopped making paper I liked? Goodness!
I never was one to buy a ton of stuff. But I'm really bad about not using what little I buy. I recently pulled out some Basic Grey paper that I bought a few years ago, but liked so much that I was afraid to use it. Funny thing is, not that I am using it, I'm asking myself why I thought it was too special to use.

These days, my spending money is more limited than it has ever been. One of the reasons I joined this challenge is to keep company with others who are not able or willing to plunk down hundreds of dollars each month on craft items. We are probably the majority, but you'd never know it from reading some of the other SCS posts.
Reply With Quote Likes