Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #241  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I'm new to the swapping thing but I'm so excited to get into it. I have what might be a stupid question before I start though: Are the cards you make for a swap supposed to be "original" cards? Or can you see a cute card somewhere and duplicate it or modify it some? Thanks for any help you can give me!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #242  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've seen some swaps that are specifically CASE swaps where you copy a card out of a catalog. There are others that want an original card. If in doubt, you can check with the hostess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #243  
Compulsive Stamper

I have what might be a stupid question. I'm new to swapping so bear with me! If you are doing 2 different swaps at the same time and they are both, say, birthday card swaps, can you submit the same card to both swaps?

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #244  
SCS Swap Moderator

I would suggest changing something on one set to make them different. Perhaps the color schemes, the embellishments or altering the layout somewhat. You could make one set masculine and one set for children... Challenge yourself to make them different. That's a large part of the fun, all the creativity. If you need inspiration - check out the SCS Gallery. There are lots of fabulous cards there to view.

---------
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #245  
Hardware Hotshot

how do I get the swap link to show up in the signature?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #246  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is a link with information on your signature. Hope that helps!

Splitcoaststampers - Help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #247  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by vz5dzhView Post
Here is a link with information on your signature. Hope that helps!

Splitcoaststampers - Help
ok followed it and link showed up in signature preview and on signature in a thread but when i click it to go to that swap I get error internet any idea's??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #248  
Stazon Splitcoast

You have an extra http\\ in there. I think that is the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #249  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

You have an extra http\\ in there. I think that is the problem.
that did it thanks so much! it works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #250  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Open swaps???

I'm having a lot of trouble finding open swaps. When I was on here before, there were tons to choose from. Is it just the time of year or something else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #251  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by akjonesView Post
I'm having a lot of trouble finding open swaps. When I was on here before, there were tons to choose from. Is it just the time of year or something else?
they are there but there is a lot of old that should be cleaned up. I would like to invite you to check out the 4 I have open due dates are middle august and sept 1st and 15th so plenty of time and lots of variety and choices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #252  
Hardware Hotshot

I have not been able to get the edit (go advanced) feature to work for almost 2 weeks any idea why? also I need to alter thread title to read (receiving) how?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #253  
Hardware Hotshot

see post # 252 I need help why can't I under edit get the (go advanced) option to work?
thanks any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #254  
Stazon Splitcoast

No need to keep posting in both threads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #255  
Rubber Obsessor

Whew! After reading thru this whole thread I didn't find the answer to the question I had so here goes...

I'm hosting my first swap and I'm at the point where I'm swapping cards out and getting them ready to mail. Thing is that I'm noticing some pretty big differences in postage (relatively speaking). After checking out the USPS site it looks like some people mailed their cards to me as a 'large envelope' which is a cheaper rate and some as a 'package' which is more expensive. Of course this means that their RETURN envelopes have different postage too... in one case there are two envelopes EXACTLY the same size & weight but the postage difference that they put on there is about $0.85! So my question is... mail em all anyway and hope for the best or slap some extra postage on there for the higher rate (at my expense in some cases)??

Also... what SHOULD it be... a large envelope or a package??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #256  
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by humboldthoney79View Post
Whew! After reading thru this whole thread I didn't find the answer to the question I had so here goes...

I'm hosting my first swap and I'm at the point where I'm swapping cards out and getting them ready to mail. Thing is that I'm noticing some pretty big differences in postage (relatively speaking). After checking out the USPS site it looks like some people mailed their cards to me as a 'large envelope' which is a cheaper rate and some as a 'package' which is more expensive. Of course this means that their RETURN envelopes have different postage too... in one case there are two envelopes EXACTLY the same size & weight but the postage difference that they put on there is about $0.85! So my question is... mail em all anyway and hope for the best or slap some extra postage on there for the higher rate (at my expense in some cases)??

Also... what SHOULD it be... a large envelope or a package??
I've been a hostess for several years now and I always go to the post office to have my return packages checked for correct postage. Without being able to see what you have in front of you, I cannot answer whether you have a large envelope or package in hand. It depends on the size and weight classification it fall under according to the post office.

I generally have my packages ready to seal if there is a question of how much postage and take my sealing tape with me to finish the job. Always make sure you put their extra postage in the return envelope before you seal it up. If the swappers have not included enough postage, you may contact them to send you the extra required amount before you mail it back. By going to the PO, and having them weighed, you will know how much is required.

---------
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #257  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the response Joyce!!

In terms of weight they'd all be fine as a large envelope since they're just under 4 ounces (I have a postal scale). I'm thinking that what would bump it up to a package rate would be the thickness. Its just a bit weird since clearly when people mailed them to me some postal workers chose to send em as different rates?!?

Also wondering... if people put their return address instead of mine and there's not enough postage does that mean it will just go to them and they'll have postage due??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #258  
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:

Thanks for the response Joyce!!

In terms of weight they'd all be fine as a large envelope since they're just under 4 ounces (I have a postal scale). I'm thinking that what would bump it up to a package rate would be the thickness. Its just a bit weird since clearly when people mailed them to me some postal workers chose to send em as different rates?!?

Also wondering... if people put their return address instead of mine and there's not enough postage does that mean it will just go to them and they'll have postage due??
According to my postal gal, they prefer you not do that. If the machine or individual can't read/understand the address in the "To" portion of the letter, there is a strong possibility that it won't register in the "From" are either. Especially if they are both hand written by someone with distinctive handwriting. I normally use a return address label with my own address and tape it over their address - making sure to blacken out any number that might confuse machines or postal persons.

As for the insufficient postage question - If that is the only address on the package, I would assume that would be the case.

---------
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #259  
Rubber Obsessor

Sooo... whats my responsibility if someone says the cards I swapped out and sent back were never received?? Should I be using delivery confirmation?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #260  
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:

Sooo... whats my responsibility if someone says the cards I swapped out and sent back were never received?? Should I be using delivery confirmation?? Thanks
I think, as a hostess, that the most important part is making sure the package is packed correctly and has sufficient postage to ensure its safe arrival to the swapping destination. I generally don't use DC myself, and have not had this problem. I DO substitute packaging when necessary to ensure a safe return. For example, if someone sends a regular sized letter envelope and the return items are bulky in nature, I will use a padded envelope/ larger envelope or box and switch their included postage to whatever will get the package returned safely. I have found that most "postal issues" (the machine ate my package) are caused by poor packaging.

I also will double check the addresses. Sloppy handwriting and labels that are falling off often lead to postal issues. Clear packing tape over the mailing information will go a long way in avoiding mishandled mail. As a hostess, it is our responsibility to make those changes to ensure a happy outcome.

If you feel like there might be an issue, contact the swapper on the receiving end and ask if they would like to cover the cost of DC. You may also make that a requirement of your swap when you write it up, if you choose.

As for what else you should do - if you want to send a second set of cards, you may if you choose, but you are not required to do so. It is a nice gesture however, and usually goes a long way to ensure the swapper will join your next swap, when it's posted.

---------
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #261  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #262  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGalView Post
This is a thread for both swappers and hostesses to ask questions regarding swaps.

If you need help, just ask! We'd be happy to help.
ok I've read all the swap info but something really important is missing. I'm interested is a card makers swap. Now what exactly is this? Do I make 11 cards all the same & send to the hostess & she keeps 1 & sends the rest on to each lady & they each take one of my cards & put in one of theirs & when last lady gets it she mails all back to the hostess? Then hostess sends me my 10 swaps? Please explain if this isn't right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #263  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdrunnerView Post
ok I've read all the swap info but something really important is missing. I'm interested is a card makers swap. Now what exactly is this? Do I make 11 cards all the same & send to the hostess & she keeps 1 & sends the rest on to each lady & they each take one of my cards & put in one of theirs & when last lady gets it she mails all back to the hostess? Then hostess sends me my 10 swaps? Please explain if this isn't right.
Yes, usually all of the participants send their cards (each person makes however many all of the same design) to the hostess and she swaps them out so each person gets one of everyone else's back. Some are done a little differently, so it is best to ask the hostess if there is any question about a specific swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #264  
Glitter Queen

Smile Thank you

Quote:

Yes, usually all of the participants send their cards (each person makes however many all of the same design) to the hostess and she swaps them out so each person gets one of everyone else's back. Some are done a little differently, so it is best to ask the hostess if there is any question about a specific swap.
Thank you for the info that helps to clear things up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #265  
Mad Swapper

Hello, quick question... I understand that you must have a certain number of posts in order to host a swap but do you need a certain number of posts to become a part of a swap?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #266  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #267  
Mad Swapper

After searching the threads, I found out that I needed to request to join the group. Sorry about that and thank you for responding so quickly...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #268  
Polyshrink Goddess

So I have a question….I haven't been to the sight in maybe a year or more, but before I 'left' I had participated in lots of image swaps, but then came the hoopla over whether it was right to do that and designers felt their product was being 'stolen' for lack of memory of the actual particulars. When all that drama started, I fell away…I had always used the images as a way to decide if I wanted to invest in the actual stamp. In fact a majority of my personal stamps came because I had received images of them in a swap and decided I wanted one of my own.
Anyway…so is that issue no more? Or are there restrictions I need to know about now that I am revisiting the site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #269  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't believe there are currently any image swaps going on at this time. The same restrictions that were in place then are still in place now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #270  
Glitter Queen

I am new and I want to join a swap but I can't seem to post. I have found the swap but I don't know where to post to ask to join
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #271  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here you go.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #272  
Insane Embellisher

It may be obvious to everyone but I just started on this website (so excited to join!!!). If you joint a swap that is 5+1 and there are 20 people signed up, does the Swap Hostess decide which cards you get back?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #273  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
It may be obvious to everyone but I just started on this website (so excited to join!!!). If you joint a swap that is 5+1 and there are 20 people signed up, does the Swap Hostess decide which cards you get back?
Yes, I would think you would get a random group of 5 cards back, unless she has you assigned to a specific group. You can always ask the hostess and they can tell you for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #274  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

Would a banner on a card front be considered a layer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #275  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would ask you hostess to be sure it meets her guidelines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #276  
Mad Swapper

Hello... I was wondering if you could help me. I forgot to add the date in the title line of the swap I'm hosting. How can i add that information? Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #277  
Stazon Splitcoast

You should be able to click the edit button on the first post of your thread. Then I believe you need to click Go Advanced to get to where you can edit the title.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #278  
Hardware Hotshot

Will the results of the "swap survey" be posted? Did those of you who looked at the data collected find it helpful?
Thank you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #279  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello Paige!

I don't think we will be posting the results. Since the questions were open ended there are a lot of answers to sift through. It's definitely gotten the wheels turning.

Thank you all for your participation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #280  
Cardstock Collector

I don't know if I missed this question somewhere, my eyes are tired looking for an answer. My question is...

How does the hostess know who to send what too, when the hostess receives everything? Are there partners or something set up?

I got the part where the hostess received all of the items+1 and the +1 is the hostess gift. But right back to my question... How do you know who to send the other items too when the hostess has to send them out.
Reply With Quote Likes