Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start???

I accidentally happened upon this forum and I have to say I am completely mesmerized by the idea of art journaling. I had never even heard of it! I know, I must live under a rock huh? Lol Anyway, I have no idea how to get started! What do I need? Where do I go? Any suggestions would be wonderful! I feel a new addiction coming on.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

If you'd like you can peek at our Mix-Ability challenge which is every Friday and gives you combinations and inspiration for mixed media projects & techniques you can incorporate. We have lists of different mediums in that forum as well.

I've seen people use old used books for their journals, or just blank books from the store - some people even bind their own!

I think anything with pages would work! Doesn't it look fun???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #3  

Ooh I love the idea of using an old book. I might just start there and check out the challenges. Thanks for the ideas Lydia!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

An old book is a great start. Glue some pages together and get started. I started with the basic ripped old dictionary pages and then started painting them. Used lots of carding techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2014, 05:26 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have decided to create a bunch of backgrounds on several different types of paper and keep them all together in a folder, then when I'm ready to journal I can pull one out the "speaks to me" and create a journal page. I then have another folder to place completed pages into & when I get enough I'm going to use my BIA on them.

I made my first page Wed, you really do need to jump in and give it a try it was so much fun!! Here is a link to my first attempt, it's more mixed media than actual journaling but that's okay with me since it's more introduction than anything and it does have a message: live, laugh, love. I'm hoping to remember to just than when I make pages and even after when I have bound it and am looking thru the page.
mixed media first page by stampin stacy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Good place for inspiration might be Pinterest- just search for Art Journals. Loads of fantastic artwork there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #7  

Received 812 Likes on 332 Posts

Okay, now go look at our catalog. With mixed media in mind our stamps look entirely different. Several that I never looked twice at are now jumping out at me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I have decided to create a bunch of backgrounds on several different types of paper and keep them all together in a folder, then when I'm ready to journal I can pull one out the "speaks to me" and create a journal page. I then have another folder to place completed pages into & when I get enough I'm going to use my BIA on them.

I made my first page Wed, you really do need to jump in and give it a try it was so much fun!! Here is a link to my first attempt, it's more mixed media than actual journaling but that's okay with me since it's more introduction than anything and it does have a message: live, laugh, love. I'm hoping to remember to just than when I make pages and even after when I have bound it and am looking thru the page.
mixed media first page by stampin stacy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Stacy, I really like your way of doing a journal and am going to start on it. Are you using the same size pages for everything, or doing a variety of sizes?? I am just starting the mixed media/journaling pages and need all the help I can get. This way also gets me using my BIA that sits and collects dust.

Your first page is great!! I pinned it to my art journal board. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I have decided to go with various sizes but nothing larger than an 8 1/2 x 11 half sheet. Larger than that was too intimidating for this beginner.

I had some background that I had made previously using inks and stamps and also because I wanted to experiment with techniques it just made sense for me. Less waste if an experiment didn't turn out. Some of my bits are too small to use as a stand alone page so I'm also going to experiment with ways to put them them together as a larger single page, including using fabric scraps. We'll see how it goes and of course I'll ya'll know too but I may not share pics of the uglies.

Quote:

Your first page is great!! I pinned it to my art journal board. I look forward to seeing more of your work
Oh my Cindy thank you, what a compliment
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #10  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Hi all ::waves::

I'm going to start art journaling in the next few months and I am at basic beginner level (aka CLUELESS haha). I bought this book by Dina Wakely http://www.amazon.com/Art-Journal-Fr...ds=dina+wakley and I think it is fabulous. It's probably a great book for even seasoned art journalers, but for a newbie like me, this is going to be so helpful. It has wonderful examples of composition principles, color theory, tools and products information and the one thing I am SUPER excited about is she provides lists of techniques/compositions and tells you what effect your mixed media piece will have for each of the techniques/compositions.

She has a new book coming out in Nov. 2014 and I have pre-ordered that book. So excited LOL

HTH.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 05-04-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I finished Dina's book last week. It is a really good book. I like when she showcased her tools they were all yucky. Yucky means well used and loved. Unlike mine because I have OCD whose tools look like they are brand new. I am trying for the yucky stage. I am trying to live this motto now that art tools that are yucky are loved. I heard that from a British artist on You Tube. Ones that look new are neglected. My tools look so new and I don't want my tools to feel neglected. Yes, I think of my tools as little people with feelings.

Dina's pages are gorgeous. I agree it's a good book for seasoned veterans and newbies.

I think I have read every art journaling book on the market. Some are amazing and others are seriously you got paid for that? I can say that I use to review books to earn money for research, lol. Researchers will do anything for money.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #12  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I like when she showcased her tools they were all yucky. Yucky means well used and loved.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!! My tools are not pristine, but I am not able to permit myself for them to get yucky. I keep my tools pretty clean and, darn it, I like them that way better. And they are WELL-loved and they are used. So don't go beating yourself up because you have clean art tools HAHA (unless, of course, you really, truly aspire to having yucky tools and that will make you happy - happy is #1 in my book so then go for it). My main reason for the clean is that I do not like contamination. Tons of my stamps are stained but, by jove, they are clean as are my stencils and my gelli plate ;)

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 05-04-2014 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Default How often do you journal

My next question, once you start how often do you journal? Do some of you really manage it daily, few times a week, once a week?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I started an art journal last year made a few pages, stopped for a time, made some pages again, stopped a half year and recently took it up again. As I have other hobbies, perhaps too many, I tend to switch between all regularly.
Reply With Quote Likes