Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2015, 05:29 AM   #281  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lylacfey, you are ambitious aren't you. I'm glad you are working on your gardens, I know how excited you were to do them when you first purchased that house.

Just think of all the beauty you will have to inspire your artwork and journals soon.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #282  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have crafting plans this weekend?

I have been watching Kate Crane's video course, Journal Soup 2, and loving it. She takes you step-by-step through the process of creating backgrounds, adding texture and collage and even drawing whimsical faces and owls.

In one session she collages whimsical houses from background papers. Although she uses junk mail (my favorite substrate) for her artwork, I'm planning to do this on canvas for a friend who just purchased her first house. I was thinking something like this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/353040058266111158/

except one house would stand out from the others. Around the roof of the main house, I want to write "A home is a house with a heart."

That should keep me busy enough to avoid housework and laundry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #283  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love junk mail art. I use my found objects more than I do bought objects now. I have been wanting to do that home piece for awhile now too. It's one of my favorites.

No artwork for me this weekend. I am Spring cleaning. During relax time I am curling up with my video games & music. DH & I are a bit tired this week. We had a lot on our plate.

Happy weekend everyone. I hope you have a fun weekend.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2015, 05:47 AM   #284  
Mad Swapper

I had a sick hubby home most of the week, so not much creativity here. Listening to a grown male whine, sucks it right out of me.

I have got to get a couple of birthday cards done and am hoping to get messy some too, we'll see. I also retrieved a "how to sketch" textbook from my son's room to read. Since it was for a major he is no longer studying I figured I might as well see if I can get something from it and recoup some of the $$ we spent on the course and textbook. Lol, I already had most of the supplies he got in his art kit which is at school with him so why not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2015, 11:03 PM   #285  
Die Cut Diva

Stacy- When you get done with that textbook you could trade it for another art textbook. Frugal art journaling tip for the college parents or the in college students. I hope your DH feels better.

I played let's switch my journals around today. I was starting two different journals. Decided to combine them and do another journal. I know it's confusing. I confused myself.

Is anyone Spring cleaning and taking things in their room to recon for their journal? I did this week. I just finished the get rid of the stuff I don't need any more in my home part this week. I hardly got rid of anything. I am excited about that. It means my home is clutter-free. Yeah! No, it's not because I took it all to my art room, lol.

I am back in my art studio next week for a lot of fun work. Card making, journaling, fun mixed media and fiber projects. I have a ton of projects planned. I am curling up with my art, good books, Rihanna music on my iPad. I am really excited.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2015, 03:42 AM   #286  
Glitter Queen

Send a message via Skype™ to melroycen

I worked on a mixed media canvas for my daughter this week and completed ATC size Christmas tags for a swap here on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 AM   #287  
Insane Embellisher

Here is the 8 x 10" mixed media canvas I made for my friend who is moving into her first house next week. It was a fun project but a learning process. I know what I would do differently next time.

(It's not really crooked; I just couldn't get a straight-on shot.)
Attached Thumbnails
What's everyone doing?-denises-house.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 PM   #288  
Die Cut Diva

Debbie, I love the house piece. Your friend is so lucky. Congratulation on her new home.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 04:01 AM   #289  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been meaning to get to Journal Soup 2 for awhile now and still haven't done it! I LOVED the first Journal Soup class!

My "assignment" this month is Twinkling H2Os which is not a medium I am most comfortable with. I made a hideous little piece yesterday that will be going right in the trash if some gesso doesn't fix it up! I tend to over-complicate. I did make a fun little piece earlier this week that is up on the ColourArte blog. the blog post has alot more pics and step by step instructions if anyone is interested in that.

Birds of a ShimmerBirds of a Shimmer | ColourArte Blog

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
Anybody have crafting plans this weekend?

I have been watching Kate Crane's video course, Journal Soup 2, and loving it. She takes you step-by-step through the process of creating backgrounds, adding texture and collage and even drawing whimsical faces and owls.

In one session she collages whimsical houses from background papers. Although she uses junk mail (my favorite substrate) for her artwork, I'm planning to do this on canvas for a friend who just purchased her first house. I was thinking something like this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/353040058266111158/

except one house would stand out from the others. Around the roof of the main house, I want to write "A home is a house with a heart."

That should keep me busy enough to avoid housework and laundry!
Attached Thumbnails
What's everyone doing?-brayer-0.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 04:02 AM   #290  
Pearl-ExPert

Your little houses are just adorable!

Quote:

Here is the 8 x 10" mixed media canvas I made for my friend who is moving into her first house next week. It was a fun project but a learning process. I know what I would do differently next time.

(It's not really crooked; I just couldn't get a straight-on shot.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #291  
Insane Embellisher

Love this piece, Marti! And thanks for sharing the detailed process on your blog.

This weekend I have a request for one of my Julie Nutting doll tags, and a sewing challenge to work on. Plus, I need to get busy on a Mother's Day card. Since I send pics of my work to my mom, it will have to be a new design. I have a stack of junk mail to be gessoed and would like to get all of it done at once so I can get ready for some new backgrounds. Don't you just love this stuff?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2015, 05:36 AM   #292  
Insane Embellisher

This is the tag for my sister's Jewish friend. They grew up together in Florida. The background is a page from a magazine, except I stamped and painted the palm leaves with acrylic paint. The treasure chest and other images were free from the internet, printed on cardstock and fussy cut. I added rhinestones and pearls, and real shell pieces I bought for a different project. I also added the starfish charm.
Attached Thumbnails
What's everyone doing?-nancy-tag.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #293  
Die Cut Diva

Debbie- I love your new avatar. You are so pretty. I love your tag.

I did spend a lovely week in my art studio. I also spent time in the ER. They thought I had a blood clot on my lung. I am super healthy and in great shape. I was terrified out of my mind. It turns out I have a cracked bone pressing on my lung. I had to go in that horrible machine for a lung scan. I went in to the ER because my heart rate was over 120 and I couldn't breathe. When I got out of that machine my heart rate was even worse. I am glad the doctor was so through. I am very grateful to him.

Yes Stacy the garden is going in. Slowly, now. I wonder why. I finished Spring cleaning my home. Neither gardening or cleaning cracked that bone.

I made two magnets, a cute tag (Nothing like Debbie's gorgeous tag). I worked in three of my journals this week. I love my journals so much. Every time I open my journals they make me smile.

It was a good week even after ER, the bathtub broke, DH fell out of tree and skinned up his back. Our air conditioner is broke because a family of snakes are living in it. That was my week, lol.

Anyone else have a productive art week or an interesting week? You have to share.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2015, 05:14 AM   #294  
Mad Swapper

Buried Treasures I love your tag, tfs

Cerridwen3301, I need to check out your blog, I'm sure whatever you came up with for H2O's was awesome. Are you in love with them yet? I don't think I could live without them. Then again water coloring in one of my go to coloring methods so being able to do that and add sparkle is a win - win for me.

Melroycen, how is the MM for your daughter coming along?

Boy what a crazy week Lylacfey, what are they doing for your broken bone or is it a "take it easy and let it heal on it's own" kinda thing? Sorry it slowed down the gardening but isn't it nice to have your journaling to take up the slack.

don't you just love getting slid into that lil tube, oh so much fun...NOT!

I haven't done much art lately, I've been enjoying the weather and doing a bit of sprucing up of the house including some new curtains. Nothing fancy or expensive, just big box cheapies/sale items but it made a huge difference IMHO. I smile just walking by them now.

I dug a dehumidifier out of the back of the closet this week and then Googled it see if I could figure out how to fix it and found a recall instead. Major fire hazard, guess I'm glad the thing stopped working and we haven't had a need for it because of the drought around here. I'll be dealing with that this next week. Also found a recall on Mean Green Super strength cleaner although I'm a little confused on that one. My bottle has the right code but the size isn't listed, so I'll be calling then for clarification as well. ...oh and the oven broke so I need to find an appliance repairman to come take a look at it for me. Okay so it wasn't the best end of the week looking back, sigh.

On a side note I'm laughing because the google dictionary is confused by the word Googled, ha ha ha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #295  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Sending healthy vibes your way, Lyla, and I hope your week gets better too, Stacy. Debbie, that tag is lovely!

I've been terribly neglectful of my art journal lately. I've been catching up on some scrapbooking and card making. Tomorrow night will be Art Journal Night for me. My goal is to get 4 pages done this month with my One Little Word: "Calm."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 05:14 AM   #296  
Mad Swapper

I was an enabler yesterday and I walked out of Michaels feeling like a million bucks because of it!! :

While I was there yesterday looking for something to use my 50% off on, I saw a pre-teen aged girl and her dad in the art supply section looking at chalk pastels. You could tell she really, really wanted that big, giant box of them but dad didn't want to spend that much. She had that look, you know the one every time she looked it the direction of the largest box, so I walked up to dad and showed him the M's app and the 50% coupon they had. He thanked me and they walked off. I continued to browse, and when I returned to that same aisle later the daughter was sitting on the floor with the largest box of pastels in one hand & a small box in the other.

Dad walked up about that same time, pointed to the larger box and said "lets get that one" then turned to me with the biggest smile on his face saying, "thanks to this very nice lady and the app I just downloaded".

The look on that youngsters face was worth a million bucks, she was so excited and I felt proud to be helping/enabling a next generation artist.

Especially since she is entering those horrid teen years.... may those pastels give her comfort when life frustrates and confuses her. Here's hoping she has many many hours of joy exploring her creative side.

...I need to call my dad today I think....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #297  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue
Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I was an enabler yesterday and I walked out of Michaels feeling like a million bucks because of it!! :

While I was there yesterday looking for something to use my 50% off on, I saw a pre-teen aged girl and her dad in the art supply section looking at chalk pastels. You could tell she really, really wanted that big, giant box of them but dad didn't want to spend that much. She had that look, you know the one every time she looked it the direction of the largest box, so I walked up to dad and showed him the M's app and the 50% coupon they had. He thanked me and they walked off. I continued to browse, and when I returned to that same aisle later the daughter was sitting on the floor with the largest box of pastels in one hand & a small box in the other.

Dad walked up about that same time, pointed to the larger box and said "lets get that one" then turned to me with the biggest smile on his face saying, "thanks to this very nice lady and the app I just downloaded".

The look on that youngsters face was worth a million bucks, she was so excited and I felt proud to be helping/enabling a next generation artist.

Especially since she is entering those horrid teen years.... may those pastels give her comfort when life frustrates and confuses her. Here's hoping she has many many hours of joy exploring her creative side.

...I need to call my dad today I think....
This is soooo sweet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #298  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's awesome stampin stacy.

I'm feeling accomplished today. Finished a new canvas for my shop and went to the gym. And recycled old boxes =)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #299  
Die Cut Diva

Stacy that is the best story. I love teenagers & pre-teens. Ok, I just love kids. One day that girl is going to grow up and become one of the top artists of the century and you helped with that.

BluDragon- I love your piece. That is so pretty.

I have been nursing my rib all week. I would like to breathe again some time this year. I am starting to feel better. I have been journaling a lot. I did a lot of drawing this week. I was worried I was going to be rusty but I went back to drawing easily. That was a nice surprise. I thought my hands would be weak.

My DH surprised me with three beautiful journals this week. One of my art journals is so luxurious I can't stop holding it and admiring it. The pages are already gessoed. I spent two days admiring it before I came up with an idea on how I want to use it, lol. Anybody else like that with their journals? My other two journals are beautiful too. They are for writing. My husband told me I must write every day.

I did garden this week. My DH through dirt all over me trying to plant sunflowers. Maybe, this is why I got beautiful journals, ROFL. I noticed my garden is starting to turn into a garden collage.

I hope everyone has a creative week.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #300  
Mad Swapper

Thanks everyone! I just hope that dad doesn't learn to hate me later now that his daughter knows he can use a coupon to buy her stuff, lol. I knew if anyone would understand the "dad's my hero" story it would be you Lylacfey. I know you were close to your dad. I loved getting to run errands with mine on his mid week half day off, just him and I.

I'm spending the week dealing with a broken crown so far this week, yeah - NOT. No pain since I had the root canal years ago but there is still the hassle and expense. I have to be careful what I eat, take small bites and chew slowly so I can be careful of where I'm chewing, ugh. I'm trying to look on the positive side though, this was done by a previous dentist who was a major quack so 1) it's a miracle it last as long as it did 2) this crown is the last of her dental flubs so 3) no more having a crown that doesn't fit properly and therefore gets stuff stuck under it all the time.

well gotta to get dressed and out the door for that dental appointment, later ya'll...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 AM   #301  
Mad Swapper

btw, I'm sorry you are still in so much pain Lylacfey and I'm glad you checked in to let us know you are hanging in there. I know you are bored but don't over do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 AM   #302  
Insane Embellisher

Stacy, great story about the family in Michaels. DeeAnn, sorry to hear you're in pain. Love your canvas, BluDragon!

I feel like I've been away for a year. My dad passed away last week after 10 days in ICU and I've been running in circles helping my mom get organized, cleaning out closets and running errands. We are all grateful that my mom did not have to attend to him for months in hospice or a nursing home. The evening before he died, my sisters and I heard him clearly say he did not want any more treatment - he was done. Since we have no choice in the matter, going quickly is the best we can hope for, for ourselves and our families.

It will be a busy weekend, but I'm ready to get inky and gluey again soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #303  
Die Cut Diva

Debbie- I am so sorry about your Father. I am here for you if you need anything. Hugs and prayers to you & your family.

Stacy- That made me smile about Daddy's hero story. You are right I do understand. You brought such a smile to my face. Thank you. I loved being a Daddy's girl. I wouldn't change it for the world. He was my hero.

Did you get the crown fixed?

I just had a meltdown in my art studio. I had to get up & walk away. Did a beautiful watercoloring painting earlier this week. Decide to turn it into a card. Card goes awry. Yank out half the tools in my art studio to do this card too. Then disaster struck and my painting is ruined. No, I can't save it. I could have cried. I knew you would all understand about this vent since most of us have gone through it one time or another.

I did learn a lesson from this. I am not good with all these tools. You give me three tools to make something with and I can do something complicated. Give me a lot of things to work with and I can make a disaster. I am being serious. I am off to clean up a mess.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #304  
Mad Swapper

Buried Treasures, you & your family have my deepest sympathies with the loss of your father. You are right the knowledge that he didn't linger and suffer is a very good thing. Celebrate the life and great person he was and take things one step at a time, there will be ups and downs . We are here for you!!

BluDragon, your canvas is awesome, you did a fantastic job.

Lylacfey, so sorry your painting got ruined, that just plain stinks. As the saying goes, " sometime stuff happens". I'll bet your next painting while not the same will be just a pretty or even more beautiful. You have the paints, paper, brushes AND the talent/ability. Go for it after you clean up and have cooled off. Look at it this way you have a great journal entry to make now.

In the ensuing mess I'll bet you didn't end up the jolly green giant like I did once though. ... for those wondering I managed to dump an entire brand new bottle of glitter green embossing powder all over myself once - legs, arms, clothes, even hair... DH and DS both came running when they heard the scream I let out but one look at my face and they didn't dare laugh or comment as I stomped off to take a shower... Are you smiling yet Lylacfey? You too will be able to laugh and smile about this fiasco, eventually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #305  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Debbie- I am so sorry about your Father. I am here for you if you need anything. Hugs and prayers to you & your family.

Stacy- That made me smile about Daddy's hero story. You are right I do understand. You brought such a smile to my face. Thank you. I loved being a Daddy's girl. I wouldn't change it for the world. He was my hero.

Did you get the crown fixed?

I just had a meltdown in my art studio. I had to get up & walk away. Did a beautiful watercoloring painting earlier this week. Decide to turn it into a card. Card goes awry. Yank out half the tools in my art studio to do this card too. Then disaster struck and my painting is ruined. No, I can't save it. I could have cried. I knew you would all understand about this vent since most of us have gone through it one time or another.

I did learn a lesson from this. I am not good with all these tools. You give me three tools to make something with and I can do something complicated. Give me a lot of things to work with and I can make a disaster. I am being serious. I am off to clean up a mess.
Oh boy - this gave me a chest pain. Been there many times. Hugs. And hugs to you too Debbie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #306  

Quote:

Stacy, great story about the family in Michaels. DeeAnn, sorry to hear you're in pain. Love your canvas, BluDragon!

I feel like I've been away for a year. My dad passed away last week after 10 days in ICU and I've been running in circles helping my mom get organized, cleaning out closets and running errands. We are all grateful that my mom did not have to attend to him for months in hospice or a nursing home. The evening before he died, my sisters and I heard him clearly say he did not want any more treatment - he was done. Since we have no choice in the matter, going quickly is the best we can hope for, for ourselves and our families.

It will be a busy weekend, but I'm ready to get inky and gluey again soon!

I hope your family can find some peace.

I am headed your way this weekend - taking that Dina Wakeley class!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #307  
Die Cut Diva

Debbie, how are you doing? We are all here for you as strength. Don't be afraid to lean on us.

Everyone thank you for the sweet thoughts. The painting was a gift. I think little fairies were trying to tell me something. I received a letter today from the person who I was going to give the gift too and she was fat shaming people in the letter she wrote to me. We receive snail mail so rarely now and to get something like this. I guess the ruined painting was meant to be. Ironically this person has requested one of my fairy paintings from me for a while now. Too bad for her. ;)

Yes Stacy you did make me laugh hard. You must have one of those Mom looks that you don't dare cross. How many showers did it take before all the embossing powder was gone?

After I cleaned up I did prime a new journal page. I managed to mess that up too, lol. Least that is fixable.

Lydia have fun at the Dina Wakeley class. Tell us all about it. I live vicariously through all of you taking classes. So envious in a good way.

Anyone else doing anything creative this weekend? Any classes, or hiding away in your room creating?

I am making a new Role Playing Game this weekend. My DH & I are creating it. My DH & I back in the day use to create games a lot for the major publishers. Some of our friends write for the major RPG's. My big thing is that I sketch out all the characters & storylines. I am spending my weekend sketching. I am looking forward to it. I told my DH that only three art tools are allowed, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 05:46 AM   #308  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for the condolences, ladies. Lydia, I'm totally jealous about the Dina Wakely class. I would have been there too, but had my family in from out of town last weekend. Darn!

DeeAnn, it sucks when a good painting goes bad. One of the Youtube instructors suggested making periodic scans of your work to either take further from that point, or use as a reference guide. What do you mean she was fat shaming people in the letter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #309  

Quote:

Thanks for the condolences, ladies. Lydia, I'm totally jealous about the Dina Wakely class. I would have been there too, but had my family in from out of town last weekend. Darn!
It was amazing - that store is incredible! You're lucky to have one that close.

The class was great - somehow she made 40 people not chaotic - it was relaxing, full of great tips and she's cute as a bug and very down to earth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #310  
Insane Embellisher

Hopefully she fell in love with Texas and will be back soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #311  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

DeeAnn, it sucks when a good painting goes bad. One of the Youtube instructors suggested making periodic scans of your work to either take further from that point, or use as a reference guide. What do you mean she was fat shaming people in the letter?
I agree about the scanning. This is something I do. I must have my scanner near me when I am creating a new piece. This project I decided not to do that. I had artistry laziness.

The fat shaming thing she was doing was telling me all the people who were fat, her words, not mine. So and so is fat, everyone is fat it's an epidemic, so and so could lose some weight because she's fat. It was like 10 paragraphs of that. She is just an unhappy person. I have this horrible habit of always trying to be kind to unhappy people. I am getting better about it and staying away. Stacy is clapping for me right now. ! Little Miss Shamer isn't getting any of my artwork ever in her lifetime or mine.

I hope everyone has an artsy weekend. I am doing a lot of drawing. It's the only thing I feel like doing. What is everyone else doing?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 AM   #312  
Mad Swapper

Lylacfey, I have learned there is a difference between a friend who needs you on occasion and people who are needy and thrive on drama. The later has been eliminated from my life for the most part.

I hope all our weather stuff didn't scare Dina off, maybe she missed it all. Understand Blue did you make it home before the weather hit? I wondered if she got to see some of our bluebonnets during her visit, how cool would it be if she was inspired to do some bluebonnet journal pages.

Waxahachie was hit pretty hard with flooding, etc Sun night so hopefully the store is okay. I thought of them but there is nothing on the website and I don't have all those "other" social media accounts. I'm thinking nothing on the website is good news.

On the creative side of life, I was playing in my journal the other day and thought, "I wish I had a pearl white" so I spent part of yesterday doing some research. Guess what I found out, Deco Arts (I think it was them, any way) sells a pearl additive that can be mixed with any other paint colors. I NEED a bottle of it, I know there are probably more expensive brands/types out there but I think this will do for my purposes, so I'm on the hunt when I'm out on other errands. Oh darn a reason to go into the craft stores and look around...

I've learned a lesson too: Gesso both sides of a page before you use either of them otherwise you run the risk of messing up the page you have already done, when it runs over the edge and then under your protective sheet. Of course it had to be one of my favorite pages in the book thus far. Luckily it was only the border areas but I've been too mad at myself to try and fix or cover them up somehow. Hoping a light sanding will fix it for the most part and then maybe an outlining in another color. It was one of the few pages I hadn't done this to as I didn't think it needed it... until now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #313  
Kookie Creator

Stacey,

It sounds like you may have already tried something similar but I have had good success using deli paper underneath the page I am working on. As the page I am working on gets inky and painty, the deli paper sticks a bit to the reverse side. This makes it harder for seepage to leak onto the reverse side. When I am done, although it has adhered a bit, the deli paper is pretty easy to remove from the reverse side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #314  
Die Cut Diva

Stacy we are just getting nightmares in our art work this month. I think the Gremlins are active.

I made a new journal page today. When I went to prep the next page the page was stuck. Would not turn. I didn't want to rip the journal so I am trying to unstick this page. Screaming for my poor DH to help me. Trust me I felt bad about this because he just got State of Decay tonight. DH is trying to help me. We both see that the binding had been messed up from the company. It's not one page but at least ten. I could cry. Point of rant. Check your binding before you buy your journals!

Stacy- The lovely thing about my friends is that I can go off on them. Sadly, I can't do that with this particular relative. ;) Ears closed mouth going syndrome. You know we all have one in our life.

I have pearl additive for my acrylics & watercolor. I have the Americana for my acrylics. I love it. I got mine at Michaels for around $2.00. My watercolor one is W&N.

I spent the creative day cussing out a particular journal company. I am going to paint my room this weekend. I keep trying to come up with a color. I have pink carpet & brown furniture in my room. I was thinking light teal but I am worried it will look dorky. My room is bohemian kitsch.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 05:18 AM   #315  
Insane Embellisher

Stacy, I bought a set of PearlEx in a garage sale awhile back. I don't use it a lot, but I add it to practically everything, including plain clear school glue. If you've ever watched thefrugalcrafter, she uses eye shadow from Dollar Tree that comes in a clear container. I've used that too.

DeeAnn, your moon must be in Uranus, or something (totally kidding ). Hopefully you'll have a good weekend with your drawing and painting your room.

I've been following PackerDi on YouTube and love her collages. I've been cutting out magazine images and plan to use her ideas to make some cards this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #316  
Die Cut Diva

Debbie- My art luck I feel like my moon has just wandered off to a different galaxy. !

I love PearlEx. My DH bought me all the colors as a gift one year. I love them for polymer clay and spray mists recipes. I use a lot of eye shadow too. I have a huge decorator box full of Pearl Ex & Eye Shadow. I call it my mica treasure box. WalMart is carrying a new Mica Powder in the eyeshadow section. I can not recall the brand right now. It's just as pure as Pearl Ex with stunning colors. It runs about $3-4 for double the amount of Pearl Ex. I learned about it on one of the makeup forums. It comes in the bottles like Pearl Ex.

Fess up how many magazines do you all own for your collage work? I have over 200. Yes, I do use them. I don't hoard them. I subscribe to about 30 a month. I love magazines. I love magazines for my art. If I had to choose between stamps or magazines. Magazines win hands down.

I am going to be starting a new mixed media piece when I finish painting my room. I am looking forward to it. I promise I will share.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 05:32 AM   #317  
Insane Embellisher

Dee Ann, what mags do you recommend for great flower images?

Edit: I just ordered a couple of catalogs from some flower companies. Free!

Last edited by Buried Treasures; 04-30-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #318  
Mad Swapper

LOL, ya'll are cracking me up with your galaxy metaphors! "when the moon's in the seventh house....".

Buried Treasures, you didn't ask me but this time of year those zillions freebie mags we get can have some awesome flower pics in them but my #1 choice for pretty pics has got to be Southern Living. You could also go by a Half Price Books for cheap used mags. They are going to get cut up anyway and at a buck or two, what a bargain for mixed media ephemera.

lylacfey, so sorry to hear about the messed up journal, can you cut out the ones you have already done and glue them into another journal? I hope you gave the company both barrels as the saying goes. Are they giving you a refund or new journals, or doing anything to make things right?

I'm glad you mentioned the Americana brand pearl additive Lylacfey because that was the only craft brand they had at Hobby Lobby yesterday. I figured at the craft level there probably isn't much difference and you said it worked fine so I went ahead and got it. Now I just need time to go play, this is a busy week full of appointments, ugh.

Buried treasure, thanks for the suggestion to use peal ex or eye shadow but I'm thinking the additive will be a better choice and give me the effect I'm going for. It only cost $1.99 to begin with and I used my digital 40% coupon. I'm such a big spender - NOT.

I was really proud of myself, I was in and out of HL in under 30 minutes yesterday and then off to take care of the next 'To Do' on my list.

Rubberinker, that's what I thought about freezer paper but not so my friend. Gesso sticks to pretty much all surfaces so you do run the risk of it oozing under the protective sheet and then sticking if you aren't careful. My own fault really since I was trying to hurry & gesso the page on the run before I left for church so it would be dry and ready to use later that evening.

One last thing: Someone bring on the smelling salts, I just passed out and it's all Lylacfey's fault!! Cannot not wait to see something, woo hoo!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #319  
Die Cut Diva

Debbie- I hate to say it but the best magazines for flowers are not from the US. My best floral magazines come from England or France. They are really pricey. Those are usually luxurious holiday presents I receive. If I am doing a pen pal trade I request them. Of course we all know I am obsessed with gardening. I do get a lot of catalogs in. That's where I get most of my floral images.

I am really picky about magazines I keep. I always look for high gloss and well constructed pages. If you work with magazines you don't want cheap. Once you start layering and gluing you can get a big inky nightmare mess blob. Cheap magazines like Better Homes & Garden are read and donated. Elle Decor goes in my collage collection. I did find a really beautiful ad in US Weekly a couple of weeks ago I made into a journal page. It's one of my favorite pages. For the most part be leery of budget print magazines. Yes, you all side eye me for reading US Weekly. ;) I admit it happily. !

Stacy just posted this Half Price Book thing so she could make me cry envy tears, lol. I would live at that store if I had one.

I know Stacy I need to share. I am losing commission work over it. You know all of this reclusiviness comes from all the mourning I have gone through and being cautious of being so hurt. I am in a good place now.

Have you played with the pearl additive yet? I hope you like it.

You made me laugh about the big spender. I have used a coupon to buy a $1.00 stamp, lol. My DH, the enabler, tells me all the time buy this, buy this, buy this! I am like "I don't have a coupon!" I think that drives him a bit nuts.

I didn't contact the journal company. I almost did but it's one of those things don't write when your mad. I am going to the store this weekend to see if other journals are damaged. If they are then I will contact the company to let them know. Mine could have been a machine fluke. I am upset about it but I understand about machine gremlins.

I read a mixed media tip this week. The artist said to use acrylic paint as glue. Essentially that is what Matte Medium is a clear acrylic paint. I thought that was a good tip because you know sometimes our wet glue seeps into the color of our project. If your working with the acrylics you could match. It might just work. I haven't tried it yet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 05:31 AM   #320  
Mad Swapper

I played with the Pearl additive briefly yesterday and it is gorgeous! Did ya'll know that Americana craft paints are by DecoArts. Check the back of your bottles, I noticed it yesterday. Guess that means I got the brand I had intended after all, lol.

Helpful hint: Used alone it doesn't want to move around the page, even with water. It is more of a 'this is where you put me and this it where I'm staying' kind of thing. So you will need to add it to paint or add a blending/flow medium if you want to blend and move it about on your page. No big deal and totally worth it. I had a sticker that said "the world is my oyster" and this stuff gave the pearlescent look of an oyster I was wanting. I can just see this used on angel wings or sea shell/ocean themed pages... oh the ideas...

I need more time to play with it BUT not today. The weather is perfect and I intend to enjoy the outdoors before hot sets in, cause this it Texas and you know it is lurking around the corner.
Reply With Quote Likes