Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #1  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what type of journals do you use?

for those that art journal, what journals do you use?I have a Strathmore mixed media 5.5x8.5" spiral bound.
A Fabriano, love the paper in this one it is about the same size, but hard bound.
and I am doing a Moleskine weekly planner with some paper inserted as tabs. This one is a facebook group with weekly challenges https://www.facebook.com/groups/thed...edlifeproject/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Su - great thread!

I haven't art journaled yet, but this mixed media forum is all of the impetus that I need to get started.

I just ordered a few of these from Dick Blick:
Cottonwood Arts Coldpress Notebooks - BLICK art materials

I'll post on here once I begin to art journal re: how these work for me.

I heard about them and liked that they lie flat, have thick pages, and there is no bleed through for really wet/messy techniques (which sounds like my style LOL).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #3  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

great attributes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use Dyan Reaveley's large and small journals, and I've also made one of my own from multimedia cardstock by Canson. I basically took the pad apart and used my Bind It All to create a spiral binding. I used the covers from the pad as the covers for my journal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #5  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I use Dyan Reaveley's large and small journals, and I've also made one of my own from multimedia cardstock by Canson. I basically took the pad apart and used my Bind It All to create a spiral binding. I used the covers from the pad as the covers for my journal.
I have one of Dyan Reaveley's large journals (empty of course LOL), so I'll be trying that one, also. I think there are two different types of papers in Dyan's journals if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #6  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

That is on my list, I would like a bigger journal and I have seen hers. I will buy it when I can get out to an LSS that is about 2 hours from here. Don't need it badly enough to pay shipping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Right now I am using different kinds of paper and making my own book. I love Canson's Mixed Media books. I think they are my favorite currently. I will use about anything. I still love a good old fashion composition book too. I am about ready to start another one next week. I usually have like three or four art journals going on at a time.

My husband just bought me the A5 Filofax Metropol in Red for an early anniversary gift. I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I am turning that into an art journal too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never done an art journal, although I do stand alone mixed media pieces. Do you decide ahead of time what materials/mediums you will use? Or do you choose the book first, and then decide what mediums will work best with it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
I have never done an art journal, although I do stand alone mixed media pieces. Do you decide ahead of time what materials/mediums you will use? Or do you choose the book first, and then decide what mediums will work best with it?
I choose the book, and then I use whatever media I am in the mood to use. I don't worry about what media will work best. I try it all and see what works and what doesn't. For me, the experimenting is part of the fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I choose the book, and then I use whatever media I am in the mood to use. I don't worry about what media will work best. I try it all and see what works and what doesn't. For me, the experimenting is part of the fun.
I'm thinking of starting with one of the small, thicker books with water color paper pages so I can use a lot of glop on them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I'm thinking of starting with one of the small, thicker books with water color paper pages so I can use a lot of glop on them!
That sounds like a good idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Definitely book first and then the mediums. I don't think I have ever done a book where I decided on the mediums first. That was a really good question.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I have not tried them but a lot of my friends love the small moleskin journals. I know to all the AJ's out there that are thinking "You haven't used a moleskin yet?" I know shocking! You can get gorgeous moleskins at Barnes & Noble, Target, WalMart. I heard Michael's has them now but I haven't seen them at my Michaels. For watercoloring you want one of the moleskins with thicker pages.

Michael's in the art department has some really nice watercolor journals for around $9 without a coupon. Nice thick pages for watercoloring. Some of the WalMarts have the smaller Mixed Media journals on clearance right now.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have not tried them but a lot of my friends love the small moleskin journals. I know to all the AJ's out there that are thinking "You haven't used a moleskin yet?" I know shocking! You can get gorgeous moleskins at Barnes & Noble, Target, WalMart. I heard Michael's has them now but I haven't seen them at my Michaels. For watercoloring you want one of the moleskins with thicker pages.

Michael's in the art department has some really nice watercolor journals for around $9 without a coupon. Nice thick pages for watercoloring. Some of the WalMarts have the smaller Mixed Media journals on clearance right now.
Hope that helps.
That is helpful --thanks so much. Michael's is walking distance from me, and I'll check out their watercolor journals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

DeeAnn, I've never used a Moleskine either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I'm just starting out, but I am using the Strathmore mixed media spiral bound, the smaller size. I have a larger size as well, but I got the smaller one in a class I took, and I figure right now the smaller size page is a little less intimidating to me.

I did get a good idea from reading other responses. I have a few nicer notebooks that I'm always a bit hesitant to use up. :rolleyes: So I can use these for my grocery/to do lists and once they are filled up, I can go back and gesso/paint over my lists, glue pages together if necessary, and turn them art journals and I get to keep the pretty notebooks permanently.

My Blog: Purple Place Designs
My Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to try art journaling and have been trying to decide on a journal to use. Those of you that already do this do you find yourselves doing a lot of double pages and if so does the spiral separation bother you.

I keep watching Vicky Papaioannou on YouTube and she does all two page ones. She uses a Moleskeine. I love her pages.

A lot of the other videos that I watch use spirals or handmade journals.

I hate the whole trying to figure out how to get started on a new craft and what supplies to buy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegee7617View Post
I'm just starting out, but I am using the Strathmore mixed media spiral bound, the smaller size. I have a larger size as well, but I got the smaller one in a class I took, and I figure right now the smaller size page is a little less intimidating to me.

I did get a good idea from reading other responses. I have a few nicer notebooks that I'm always a bit hesitant to use up. :rolleyes: So I can use these for my grocery/to do lists and once they are filled up, I can go back and gesso/paint over my lists, glue pages together if necessary, and turn them art journals and I get to keep the pretty notebooks permanently.
I love notebooks, blank journals and anything with pages. I am such a book/journal junkie it is insane. I love beautiful journals with the gorgeous covers. I collect them like girls over here collect stamps. A lot of my journals have been empty for years. I carefully removed the covers and removed the paper. I used the covers to bind my own journal paper. I use the paper to make other journals. I mix and match paper. Sometimes you get beautiful lined paper in linen. Other times you get pink paper with seashells. I have a large box of found paper. I reach in there and grab what ever inspires me at the time.

You know ever since this new mixed media forum has started up I sound like I am a hoarder, lol. I save my magazines, I save my journals, I save this and that. I am not a hoarder. I do save a lot of paper ephemera for my journals. It has become my biggest and most treasured crafting supply. When you start journaling all those pretty paper ephemera become a treasure trove. For the past few years I have been concentrating on rubber stamping and die cutting. It just didn't feel right to me the way I was doing it. I decided to go back to my first love- art journaling. I culled my room so I could make room for my art journaling things. Now, I have less stuff than when I bought things.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

When I first started journaling, I used a Canson Multi Media 7x10 multimedia pad. :
Amazon.com: Canson Multi Media Paper Pad, 60 Pages: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

I like the paper texture and weight and the size was not overwhelming so I did not fill compelled to fill an entire 9x12 or 12x12 page. It was perfect for a beginner.

Once I realized I liked paint and layer intensive pages, I tried to use the heaviest weight paper I could in a pre-bound journal. For me it was a 140 lb watercolor paper journal. I also started using the 9x12 size. I was also using this one a lot:
Amazon.com: Strathmore Visual Watercolor Journals 140 lb. 9 in. x 12 in. 22 sheets: Home & Kitchen

I really like this one even though I know it is just marketing to call it a "visual" journal!

I actually forgot that I started with the 7x10 size until I happened to come across one of my first journals recently. I was stunned at how manageable the pages were and how much I liked the look of my work on those pages. Recently I decided that since I have been using more gesso, I really did not need a 140 lb journal and I prefer the smaller page sizes so I am back to what I used in the beginning- the Canson 7x10 multi-media pad!

I have not tried moleskin because they are expensive. I think the Dyan Reavley journals are overpriced for what you get ( and it strikes me as yet another attempt by Ranger Inc. to come late to a party and ‘own the market)

BTW, I only posted the amazon links to provide a quick visual. Amazon does NOT have the best pricing on those journals. You are better off trying an online retailer like dickblick, jerry's or cheap joes or using a coupon at at one of the big box craft stores.

Last edited by toodme; 04-10-2014 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: shop around!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I am guess I am way out of the game because I didn't know Dyan Reavley was making journals, lol. I didn't even know Ranger had a journal line. Ok, I had to take a peek. Dyan's journals remind me of a Smash book. No, I am not buying. I was just curious. You all know I have a curious streak a mile wide.

toodme- I like your Amazon anology. I am always linking Amazon or JoAnn's too. Never dawned on me that somebody might think I just found them the best price. I just using those two sites because they are the largest for craft supplies. I am going to start using your disclaimer.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Smash books have printed papers and are spiral bound. The journals have heavy paper and don't have a spiral binding. I have 3 of them (for classes), and I like them for the most part. The only thing I don't like is that there are both manila and white paper in them. I would rather have only one type. My favorite paper to use is still the mixed media paper that Canson makes, but I'm really enjoying reading about what everyone else uses. Lots of options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzanneView Post
I want to try art journaling and have been trying to decide on a journal to use. Those of you that already do this do you find yourselves doing a lot of double pages and if so does the spiral separation bother you.

I keep watching Vicky Papaioannou on YouTube and she does all two page ones. She uses a Moleskeine. I love her pages.

A lot of the other videos that I watch use spirals or handmade journals.

I hate the whole trying to figure out how to get started on a new craft and what supplies to buy .
Suzanne, I am in the same boat as you. I want to try this but have no idea where and how to start. I will have to check out the youtube videos you mentioned and see if that helps.

I have start taking a mixed media class and that is different than what I have ever done. I am really enjoying it and am so glad that they set up this new forum and am so busy taking notes on what everyone has to say.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindy LittlerView Post
Suzanne, I am in the same boat as you. I want to try this but have no idea where and how to start. I will have to check out the youtube videos you mentioned and see if that helps.

I have start taking a mixed media class and that is different than what I have ever done. I am really enjoying it and am so glad that they set up this new forum and am so busy taking notes on what everyone has to say.
Cindy
Cindy where are you taking classes? Locally or online?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Cindy where are you taking classes? Locally or online?
Suzanne, it is a local class.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

What I love about journaling is that for the most part, I used the same supplies I used for stamping! As I got more into it, I added more products ( of course! ) but for the most part you dont need to gut extra stuff. You could start with inexpensive craft paints from joann's or micheals ( $1 or less) and have plenty of colors to choose from. You could dilute those with water to make your own spray paints. If you are like me you already had stencils in your stash from when they were popular years ago. You probably already have stamps and at least one archival or staz on ink pad. You may have embossing or molding paste. You likely have embossing powder and a heat gun. You can get inexpensive oil pastels ( if you choose to use them) for or less than $5. You already have pens and markers.

The only things I would recommend that you purchase that I did not use much in stamping: inexpensive disposable latex or vinyl rubber gloves ( it gets messy!) a decent multipurpose paintbrush and some baby wipes.

I recommend youtube before buying any classes. There is a ton of info out there for free and many of those videos are as good as or better than the paid content. Do not feel you have to pay for a class to get great instruction as this is absolutely not true! One really talented journalers on youtube that comes to mind is staybeautiful88 but there are tons of others on blogs or other websites!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by toodmeView Post
One really talented journalers on youtube that comes to mind is staybeautiful88 but there are tons of others on blogs or other websites!
For some reason I can't pull up this name on YouTube.

Thanks for the other info too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #27  
hdp
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

It should be Staybeautiful84.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

oops! staybeautiful84. here is a link to her journal flip:

You will find that journalers have markedly different styles. I happen to like hers but there are others that are very different!

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 08-01-2014 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Added video embed code
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Smash books have printed papers and are spiral bound. The journals have heavy paper and don't have a spiral binding. I have 3 of them (for classes), and I like them for the most part. The only thing I don't like is that there are both manila and white paper in them. I would rather have only one type. My favorite paper to use is still the mixed media paper that Canson makes, but I'm really enjoying reading about what everyone else uses. Lots of options.
I am a Smashbooker fanatic. I did almost write down that the only difference I could see on Smash books was the paper difference. The covers remind me of Smash books. The big envelope inside reminded me of Smash books except Smash has prettier envies. ;) I am a sucker for those silly envelopes. Sorry if I offended anyone about Dyan's books or confused anybody.

Here's another YouTuber I love for videos- ShannonGreen- https://www.youtube.com/user/byShannonGreen She does more JunqueJournaling. She has so many great ideas. I have another one from Australia I really love but YouTube has ate some of my video subscriptions. I am going to have to find her again for you all.

Thanks everyone for staybeautiful's channel. Looks like another treasure trove video weekend watching for me. I love she does polymer clay. I think I got more excited about her polymer clay vids than her art journaling. I love polymer clay.

Last edited by lylacfey; 04-11-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm just getting started so I'm not sure how I'll like it, but I bought a Canson XL series for mixed media. It is 5.5" x 8.5" & has 95 lb paper.

Also I saw someone on another site using a black journal. and thought i have one of those hiding around here somewhere. So I dug it out & am using it with my metalic pencils. It is 5.5"x7.5". I don't have a clue where it's from.

I'll report back as I go along & try out different medias, how they hold up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

When I first started journaling the idea of a brand new expensive journal was too intimidating for me. I would sit and stare at the blank page and just freeze up. A friend suggested using a basic notebook, something like you buy your kids for school. You can cover the pages with tissue paper or other light weight paper using YES glue or other glue that will dry smooth. Then add layers and embellishments to complete your journal. It may not be as impressive as the specialty journals, but it is a great way to loosen up and get started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Some of my favorite art journals are cheap notebooks. I am stocking up right now. I love to journal in those kind of books.

I think there is a lot of pressure on new art journalers to buy a beautiful new expensive journal. That is so much pressure looking at that expensive book and worrying your going to mess up. I agree about the cheap notebooks for loosening up and getting started.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ellesart - congrats on getting over "blank page" syndrome!

I unearthed an empty spiral bound scrapbook that has never been used, I think I now have my travel journal without spending any $$$. It is 5 x 7" in size and has 80lb coverstock pages, the pages are off white but that is okay with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 04:50 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Great topic! I have struggled with this myself for years. When I started, I did everything on loose pages. I am MESSY. Plus I was thinking of it as more mixed media and not necessarily JOURNALING as in a book.. Then as I started getting to know more mixed media artists and sites and checking out blogs I felt alot of pressure to get an actual journal BOOK to work in so I started with the one labeled Mixed Media in Michaels. Well I was not happy with the paper - wasn't thick enough for all the glopping I tend to do so I kept searching and buying books and trying non spiral bound and spiral bound and finally got a Stillman and Birn book - ok several S&B books - and they are my fave. I feel like the only art journaler alive who is not using and has never used a moleskin OR a Dyan Reaveley book.

All that being said I was still not happy. Because I am MESSY and I always mess up other pages when working on current pages so I finally gave up and went back to loose leaf recently and took the pressure of myself to do a book like everyone else. So what I am doing now - I found an old old 8" x 8" scrapbook album, the kind that you take apart - the front and back covers and page protectors all come apart. So I am making 8 x 8 pages, I can also do some mixed media on the front and back covers and then as I finish pages I stick them into the page protectors so I don't even have to punch holes in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
Great topic! I have struggled with this myself for years. When I started, I did everything on loose pages. I am MESSY. Plus I was thinking of it as more mixed media and not necessarily JOURNALING as in a book.. Then as I started getting to know more mixed media artists and sites and checking out blogs I felt alot of pressure to get an actual journal BOOK to work in so I started with the one labeled Mixed Media in Michaels. Well I was not happy with the paper - wasn't thick enough for all the glopping I tend to do so I kept searching and buying books and trying non spiral bound and spiral bound and finally got a Stillman and Birn book - ok several S&B books - and they are my fave. I feel like the only art journaler alive who is not using and has never used a moleskin OR a Dyan Reaveley book.

All that being said I was still not happy. Because I am MESSY and I always mess up other pages when working on current pages so I finally gave up and went back to loose leaf recently and took the pressure of myself to do a book like everyone else. So what I am doing now - I found an old old 8" x 8" scrapbook album, the kind that you take apart - the front and back covers and page protectors all come apart. So I am making 8 x 8 pages, I can also do some mixed media on the front and back covers and then as I finish pages I stick them into the page protectors so I don't even have to punch holes in them.
Add me to the MoleSkine and Dyan club. I have never used their journals and I am not going too. So there! ROFL!

I like to do messy journals too. Loose leaf is best for me when I am making those type of journals or a book that can be trashed like an old notebook.

I started art journaling in the 1990's, way before it was popular and ten billion rules. I was always practicing on scrap paper art techniques. I thought my papers that I practiced on were as pretty as my final result. I started binding my pages and making little journals out of them. Then I would work in my little journals or just leave the pages be and admire them. I also got to combine my huge love of book binding too.

I like loose leaf the best because I can combine different types of paper.

I know I journal quirky. Apparently I break all the rules. I would probably be kicked out of workshops.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Yea I don't follow all the rules either but then, that's kinda been a theme my whole life so....glad I am not the only one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 04:23 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My only problem with loose pages is that I never remember to leave a margin for the binding.

I was also wondering how many pages you collect before you decide to bind them together into a book.

rules, what rules, there ain't no rules .... lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Marti..which series do you like the best? I have seen those recommended by a few other artists. I have an old sketchbook I use but the pages are so thin I have to either put some old thick dp on it or glue a couple together in order to do anything messy in it. I like a good thick paper..even for drawing.
TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Zeta is awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Zeta is awesome!
Thanks! That is the one I thought would be from the paper weight and description! I put one on my wish list !
Reply With Quote Likes