Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2014, 04:50 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default which craft acrylics

Which craft acrylics brands have you used? I'd love to know which ones you like, don't like and why. I need to fill in color gaps and don't have they $$ for the artist grade right now.

Hints and tips for making them work would be appreciated too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I use Anita's for general use - they come in big bottles if you want - I use the 8 oz. black and white because I use those so much. I also use them to paint terracotta pots, etc. - they seem to work well in a variety of applications.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using Golden Fluid Acrylics; FolkArt Acrylics (matte), Metallics & Pearls plus Golden Retarder to extend wetness of the FolkArts. Without the retarder, I wouldn't be able to pull ghost prints as the FolkArt paints dry too fast. The Golden Fluid is glossy, so if you don't like that, add some Matte Medium which is handy for other mixed media uses. I use a palette knife to mix the Retarder into the paint directly on the Gelli Plate.

I would like to buy some Heavy Body Goldens for different techniques in the future and add more Golden Fluids as the budget permits. I chose FolkArt for an immediate, inexpensive range of colors as I already had the basics in the Golden Fluids. I have the small bottles of the Fluids. Anything you are going to use a great deal, buy the larger size as it's generally cheaper in the long run. Michaels may not be the best place to buy Goldens price wise even with a coupon, compare them w/ Dick Blick online.

I'm lucky to live in area where there are Dick Blick & Daniel Smith art supply stores. Both offer discounts through sales and DB has a buyer card also. Hobby Lobby carries FolkArt and other brands (Anita's) of craft paints at the lowest regular price of the BBS and frequently offer 30% offer their craft paints.

I haven't used the Liquitex paints, but think they would a great step up from craft without the expense of artist grade. I use the Liquitex Gesso (wht, blk & clear) and would like to get the Light Modeling Paste.

Hope this is of use.

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the cheap little ones... they are all basically the same to me. I started using the Basic that you can find at Michaels in the big tubes. I think they are about $4 a tube but go on sale all the time. I buy the basics and then I blend my own colors from that. I see them on sale for 3 for 10 all the time.

I think they are better then the little bottles that you buy in the craft section, but there isn't a great deal of variety (like I said, I blend my own). I think the Basic acrylics have a lot more flexibility then the others. I guess it really depends on what it is used on or for.

I can't afford the artist grade. No, scratch that. I probably could, but I chose to spend the money on other stuff so that's why I started using them but now have found that I LOVE them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I really like the Liquitex Basics line, they're on sale at Michaels for 3 for $10 right now, and they're normally 4.99 a tube. They're pretty good size tubes too, so good deal
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So liquitex makes the Basics line. I love that line. The acrylic paint is very nice and it is flexible so no flaking. Love it. I love the price too, when it's on sale. It is a good value.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Another vote for Basics as my go-to. Artists loft is similar.

I also use claudine hellmuth - it gives a very transparent coverage. Love her beige for skin tones on the prima dolls.

Golden - also very transparent but more pigmented

Liquitex heavy body - so thick it is like butter. Nice for texture. I love this one on the gelli plate but basic is nice too.

Tim holtz distress paint. Love that I can sponge the color on, blend , distress

Dina wakely has a new line, purchased but not tried. Love the happy colors.

Jacquard line has paint that is shimmery, two tone, beautiful

I think some dry mediums mix with matte medium to give the effect of paint. I am not remembering exactly which ones. The black sketch pencil. Maybe pan pastels? Basically anything you add water to, try using matte medium instead and in some cases you get a painted effect.

Have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Thank you for all the replies.

The FolkArt brand is used/mentioned in several video's as well as being mentioned here so maybe I'll check them out. UnderstandBlue I have some of the Anita's paints, they are great but are they still being made?

Better Acrylics like the Basics are definitely going on my Christmas list but for now craft lines will have to do. I'm kinda like the clique "champagne taste on a beer budget".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity_StamperView Post
Another vote for Basics as my go-to. Artists loft is similar.

I also use claudine hellmuth - it gives a very transparent coverage. Love her beige for skin tones on the prima dolls.

Golden - also very transparent but more pigmented

Liquitex heavy body - so thick it is like butter. Nice for texture. I love this one on the gelli plate but basic is nice too.

Tim holtz distress paint. Love that I can sponge the color on, blend , distress

Dina wakely has a new line, purchased but not tried. Love the happy colors.

Jacquard line has paint that is shimmery, two tone, beautiful

I think some dry mediums mix with matte medium to give the effect of paint. I am not remembering exactly which ones. The black sketch pencil. Maybe pan pastels? Basically anything you add water to, try using matte medium instead and in some cases you get a painted effect.

Have fun

Agree with all this! Claudine has very pretty colors too - her red is one of my faves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

If you like Claudine's paints (and I do), grab them while you can. She is no longer designing for Ranger, so her paints won't be available anymore. I don't know if she plans to re-release them under another brand name, but Ranger isn't manufacturing them anymore. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
If you like Claudine's paints (and I do), grab them while you can. She is no longer designing for Ranger, so her paints won't be available anymore. I don't know if she plans to re-release them under another brand name, but Ranger isn't manufacturing them anymore. :(
Oh my gosh really?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Nooooooooooooo. I love her ed especially - a very poppy red. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Hobby Lobby has craft acrylics on sale this week so I went by there yesterday and picked up 4 more bottles including a desperately needed yellow.

Could have gone crazy and bought a bunch but 1) I want to get better at mixing my own colors and won't if I already have them on hand and 2) still hoping to get some better quality paints eventually. Still since these were around a dollar or less regular price and 30% off, they were cheap enough for me to splurge on without feeling guilty. I also won't feel as bad when mixing colors with the cheap stuff and the color ends up ugly.
Reply With Quote Likes