Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default work station surface?

I am creating a workstation behind my desk with 2 file cabinets and was wondering what others have used for a top when they have done this. It needs to be fairly cheap, I'm a stamper on a very tight budget.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If you know someone in the cabinet making business (or check Home Depot) for a piece of laminated countertop made for a job that was an incorrect size or had a small flaw in it, sometimes you can pick it up for no cost or a minimal cost. I have used mine for almost 20 years now.... Also, look into companies that replace kitchens...you may be able to find a used countertop taken out during demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I also use a counter top that I bought from a LSS that was going out of business. If you can find one you can always get a piece of plywood cut to size and laminate or paint it your self. I've also see people use doors but they may be too wide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ikea do tabletops that are sturdy for around �20, so about $32.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with Lowes or Home Depot also, they will sometimes have countertops that were mis-cut for a low price. I bought 6ft runs of plain Formica tops that were discontinued. I paid 11.00 per top. If you have a Habitat for Humanity thrift store they might have something you could use.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

You might also use pre-made shelves from a home improvement store. You might have to use two to make it wide enough. I have used some that are laminated white -- easy to wipe off. I know some people have also used doors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Lowes and Home Depot also sell sheets of laminated fiberboard and will cut it to size for you. They may even have them in "Handi Panels", which are 2' x 4' or 4' x 4', rather than the full 4' x 8' size. There is an iron-on edging available, too, so you don't have the rough edges. You could also take the legs off of an old table or - as others have said - get a slab door. I rescued an old shelving unit from my in-laws basement that had an enamel top - I use just the top over a wooden TV tray when I need an "extra" work surface.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Wow thanks for so many responses everyone. Duh moment here, I should have given an approximate size, sorry. I'm looking for something around 16-17 inches by 51-52 inches (just over 4 feet).

A door is definitely too big for the room. I was thinking about a piece of wide board/plank but a piece of kitchen laminate would be awesome if I can find a scrap around the right size. Ya'll are so smart!!

I had thought about checking with the local glass shop to see if they have any tempered glass around that size but was hesitant about a glass surface as well as price. Anyone have a glass work surface that can give me some pro's and con's? It would not be the main work surface but a secondary work area behind or beside me. Mostly for my Big Shot stuff and a place for projects to dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Glass would be fine to use for the purpose you have in mind. It also comes in handy for cutting things with a razor knife/scalpel. I had a piece of glass over a wooden (very beat up) desktop and loved it. Another plus: You could put something pretty under it to inspire you or something useful (like a grid) to make projects easier. FYI: our local hardware store will cut glass for less than half the price of the glass shop...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

I'm not a fan of glass for my work areas. For one thing, it's cold when your arms rest on it and the other is that I don't want to worry about dropping things on it, hammering, etc. My work surface is a laminated counter turned into a table and on top of that I have one of the big Martha Stewart cutting mats. I love the mat as it's not cold, I can cut on it, hammer, easy clean-up and it gives a nice cushion for stamping, and when it's ratty I can flip it over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #11  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolanninnwmoView Post
You might also use pre-made shelves from a home improvement store. You might have to use two to make it wide enough. I have used some that are laminated white -- easy to wipe off. I know some people have also used doors.
This is what I have. I didn't have room for anything too big (24x42 inches), so for the money this was my best choice. The surface is smooth and definitely sturdy enough for stamping, and it cleans up nicely.

Here's a picture taken while I was in the process of setting it up. Our basement got flooded last spring which was the reason I was in search of a new craft set-up. I must have deleted the "nice" picture I took once everything was cleaned up and put away, so you're seeing it when everything was still a mess. (And it's a mess again, but for a different reason. LOL)

work station surface?-craft-table-progress.jpg

work station surface?-new-craft-table-left-side.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

We remodeled our kitchen last year and got new counter tops. The old ones went for my work area and shelves in my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think shelves work well. I have used these from Michaels - I got them on sale very inexpensive:
Desktop Extender and Shelf, Pack of 2

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Thanks you for all the suggestions, my head is chalked full of ideas to check out and get prices on.

Gregzgurl thanks for the heads up about pricing at glass stores vs hardware stores.

Missiowa81 - Are creative spaces supposed to be any other way but messy? Mine sure never stays clean very long.

Buddy'smama - I wish I knew someone that was remodeling, that would be the best and cheapest solution.

Jkstampin - I did not know there was such a thing as desktop extenders I'll check it out.

Now if the weather will just cooperate, so I can go shopping!! We are having sleet, ice, et al: AGAIN! ugh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I went to Lowes. They have laminated boards in different sizes. They are very reasonable. If need be they can be cut to your exact size. Lowes will do this for free. I have Michaels Recollection cubes supporting my desktop. First I bought the Recolection desktop figuring it would match. It is not strong enough though. After awhile it cracked. The boards at Lowes are real sturdy. I have a Sizzix station set up on one side of my craft room. There is a Vagabond and a ton of heavy dies on it. There has been no problems and I have had it quite awhile now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:53 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I use a folding table (same as the ones at crops) that I picked up cheap from Big Lots. I have my cabinets underneath it on either side of where I sit. This way it is easy to move them too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you don't want a door (too wide) but FYI I bought the wider door (I think they have 2 sizes) and though nice for my ink pad holder and misc pencil cups and punch rack it just seems to attrack "stuff". No need to clean up you can just push it aside. LOL. It also, as mentioned above, sits on the 2-cube cabinets from Michaels. Some with doors and some open.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

In many areas Habitat for Humanity has resale stores for building materials. There are many things there including countertops even Corian and other materials! The stores are called "Restore"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by VittView Post
I know you don't want a door (too wide) but FYI I bought the wider door (I think they have 2 sizes) and though nice for my ink pad holder and misc pencil cups and punch rack it just seems to attrack "stuff". No need to clean up you can just push it aside. LOL. It also, as mentioned above, sits on the 2-cube cabinets from Michaels. Some with doors and some open.
That's a really good point. My counter top is 24" less a 1" backsplash that gives me 23 inches of work space. With my ink pad storage I have about 18" to work on and by the time I'm finished with a project I'm working 8" of clear space. :-) Also, you want to keep things in arms reach so you don't have to stretch or stand up to get to the things at the back of the table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Default Check Craigslist

Check Craigslist for countertops or tables, etc. You can find all kinds of good stuff for good prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

Default Laminated Counter Top

I bought a 5 foot long laminated counter top that has the curved up backsplash in back. I laid it across 2 two drawer filing cabinets, with space for a chair between the cabinets. The backsplash keeps things from falling down behind, and the laminated surface is perfect for working on. I also use a plastic chopping mat (General Craft Tips) that I found at the Dollar Store for doing messy work. They come 2 to a package and are very handy. I have one that I move to anywhere I'm doing a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

At Lowes you can get a door that is half the size of a folding closet door, which isn't too wide...maybe that would work. I think they are only about $20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

habitat for humanity, has stores all over; and they sell household building items for such a cheap price. You can do a google search or check their site to see if there is a store near you.
ReStore | Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley I see lady of cards also posted this.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #24  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
by the time I'm finished with a project I'm working 8" of clear space. :-) .
LOLLLLLL........me, too :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Life just does not want to cooperate with my reorganization plans. First crummy weather, then DH gets an eye infection and is being a big baby and now the kid has decided at the very last minute to come home for the weekend from college. That means nearly hour long trips to the airport to pick him up and drop him off. Guess I'll be shopping for my new table surface next week, oh well....

thanks again for all the ideas, I will be checking them all out. soon.... I hope
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in Lowe's years ago and found a hollow core door leaning against a wall. It looked like someone had put their fist through it on one side. I asked a salesperson what they would do with it and I found I could buy it for $5. It had no holes cut for knobs and locks so I bought it and gave it a good paint job. I put it on file cabinets and the hole is on underside. It holds a ton of stuff and has worked well for me. Plus it was cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Not sure of the widths they come in but know they have several different ones but I used a door from Home Depot or Lowes. The interior kind that have no hole in them and think they were only about $20.00. It works perfect and gave me a nice big surface to work at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Default a new work surface, the saga

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, they have really helped me think out of the box while I looked around for a solution this week. It has to say the least been an "interesting" journey, lol.

I first checked out hardware stores and found various kinds of wood boards that were apx 3/4 to 1 inch thick that could be cut down for free and would run me about $36 - $40+. I would then have to sand the edges myself and then have to paint or stain the wood, sounded like way too much work for the price. So I then checked on - shelves and glass options. Pre-made shelves come in a "standard" 4 foot length which is 4 inches shorter than I wanted, sigh. Lowe's no longer cuts glass in store, fyi and Home Depot's longest length of glass was,.... you guessed it 4 feet unless I special ordered. Ummm did I mention to the girl that I was trying to do this on the cheap?!? She then suggested I purchase plexi-glass which did come in longer lengths. I just stood there looking at the girl with my mouth hanging open I'm sure. I had made a point of explaining it would be a work surface that included an area in the middle with no support. "Ummm thanks but I think I'll move on in my search, I appreciate your time...."

I then went to several building surplus type places, no unused cheap kitchen or bathroom counters to be had. I did find a granite remnant that was almost the right size but it was 6 inches too long and almost double the width I needed but I could never get anyone to come over to give me a price so I decided to keep it in the back of my mind and move on. I'm pretty sure based on prices of pieces double it's size it would be too expensive anyway.

Next I went to a furniture outlet, that sells odds and end. I remembered seeing an area before where they sold glass tops from broken coffee tables etc. Unfortunately they only had end table size glass which were all too short. So I decided to go by the container store to see if they had longer shelves. I figured since they are having their annual sale if they had something in right size I might be able to afford it. Nope 4 foot was the longest length, again.

At this point I was tired and needed cheering up so I decided to go by the big box craft stores to window shop and see what new stuff had arrived in stores so far. I could make a circle of the three major ones as I headed back toward home, J's, then M's and finally HL. It was getting late by the time I got to Hobby Lobby so I was going to do a very quick browse but there at the very back corner of the store just as I was about to leave I saw what I was convinced was a mirage. Beveled glass in the exact size I wanted 16" x 52", I looked once then again to make sure was not imagining things. Lol I even took a picture with my phone, it is $45 but with a coupon it would be in the right price range. Whoo Hoo!!!

I have not actually bought it yet, I need to get a blanket or two to wrap it in on the ride home and besides it is too close to Sunday, what if they have a 50% off coupon instead of 40% and yes I have the app!! What can I say a 10% savings is $9 bucks, that is a meal out somewhere. I can wait now that I know the where.

Wouldn't you know that after all that running around and looking I'd find what I need for my craft room at a craft store. Talk about irony!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

Default papernut

Stacy, congratulations on finding your glass. I hope they come up with a 40% off coupon.
Another thought though. We are buying a new house and need a ton of stuff because we live full time in an RV. Someone told us about Habitat for Humanity. They have stores where people donate things from remodels and stuff and the money goes toward the program. My dh and I checked it out yesterday. They have literally everything all the way down to paint & nails. We will check out the place again when we finally get access to the house. They had about 10 refrigerators which had some scratches and all were plugged in so you could see they worked.
Anyway, to get away from my change of info, I saw 3 or 4 pieces of glass. Not sure of the sizes but they will vary from place to place anyway. They also had granite which was priced very well also. I may decide to do my kitchen counter if I can find the right size. They even had a large entire kitchen of cabinets complete with miles of granite tops.
You might want to check them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the info, not sure if they have those here or not, I'll check it out.

BTW, I know some of you said you weren't fond of glass because it tends to be cold but this is a secondary work area behind me and besides all that it gets well over 100+ degrees here in Texas and stays there for months. Bring on the cold, it could become my favorite surface to work on the summer, lol!!

I think I have some frosted glass looking rub on's some where, I need to find them so I can decorate my glass top. Hey ya'll didn't really think I'd leave it as is and not make it "my own" did ya?! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2014, 05:32 AM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Thanks for the info, not sure if they have those here or not, I'll check it out.

BTW, I know some of you said you weren't fond of glass because it tends to be cold but this is a secondary work area behind me and besides all that it gets well over 100+ degrees here in Texas and stays there for months. Bring on the cold, it could become my favorite surface to work on the summer, lol!!

I think I have some frosted glass looking rub on's some where, I need to find them so I can decorate my glass top. Hey ya'll didn't really think I'd leave it as is and not make it "my own" did ya?! ;)
Glad to hear it's your secondary work surface. I kept thinking about the glass strength and it's support where you would sit didn't want to sound like a negative nelly. Hope it all works out for you.:p:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Default papernut123

Be sure and let us see how your "creation" looks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannemlehrmanView Post
If you know someone in the cabinet making business (or check Home Depot) for a piece of laminated countertop made for a job that was an incorrect size or had a small flaw in it, sometimes you can pick it up for no cost or a minimal cost. I have used mine for almost 20 years now.... Also, look into companies that replace kitchens...you may be able to find a used countertop taken out during demo.
I got a large piece from my local outlet home store. paid $45, it was much larger than I needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

I went to Menard's and bought some pine that was glued together in butcher block fashion. My husband cut it to the size I needed and put two coats of polyurethane on it. It works really well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
work station surface?-img_5036.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2014, 02:25 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspengirlView Post
I went to Menard's and bought some pine that was glued together in butcher block fashion. My husband cut it to the size I needed and put two coats of polyurethane on it. It works really well for me.
It looks really nice, too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Aspengirl, that looks great. Reminds me of some of the stuff I had found at Lowes and Home Depot, there were several different types of wood to choose from. Unfortunately I do not have a "handy man" type dh and would be on my own if I got something too big and/or unfinished.

I promise to take a picture when I get my top purchased and moved into it's spot. I've got "stuff" going on for the next several days though, life just never slows down does it.
Reply With Quote Likes