Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to STOP PURGING???

I am in the process of purging, sorting, donating and selling my craft stash. I simply do not have the space nor time to dedicate towards my beloved hobby. Don't get me wrong... I still am scrapbooking and cardmaking but not as often as I'd like.

So when to stop purging? How minimal can a stash be to become a creative crafter? :confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I think it comes down to your styles of crafting. Is it minimal or clean and simple?. Do you use the same equipment, stamps and supplies for your projects?. If so, maybe keeping only the things you use regularly is enough. If you fear that over purging will stunt your creativity, consider a few options like stamp rental services or trade groups so that you can freshen up your stash as needed from time to time.

As a new crafter, I have to continually remind myself that I don't need every new item that becomes available. I limit my purchases to things I need for upcoming projects and that I know will be used more than once on future projects.

Also, at some point limit your purging to getting rid of things you haven't used in say, 6 months or a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

You stop purging when you feel comfortable with what you have let to craft with and what you have let go.

Only you can say when your purging is complete.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Good question! I agree....when it feels right, it will be the right amount. Certainly keep the basics, your tools, a variety of stamps, some embellishments, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

When everything you have fits into the allowable space. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

OK...here is my advice as someone who did a huge purge a few years ago:

Be very careful with how much you get rid of. I got rid of so many stamps and tools that I now regret because I decided I didn't use it enough. Now that I have been getting back into crafting again I am having to repurchase stamps and tools that I once had.

Getting rid of almost all my paper not such a big deal because there will always be cardstock available and new colors come out all the time. I kept 6 sheets of each color.

Think hard about which stamps you will get the most use out of and keep those. Ones that you look at and wonder why you bought them then get rid of those.

Keep basic colors for embellishments. I.E. silver, black, gold, white.

Decide which of your tools get the most use and keep them. For example do you need circle punches and circle dies...probably not since you can use the dies and they take up very little space.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled out a bunch of stamp sets and embellishments to sell/donate. Not having much luck selling. I have gone into these purged items and decided that no, I really want that item. My purged items are somewhat decreased and I hope to take part in a garage sale next spring before it's too late and everything ends up back in my stash. Lol Put your purged items out of sight for 6 mos and see if you still want any of it before you sell.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
I pulled out a bunch of stamp sets and embellishments to sell/donate. Not having much luck selling. I have gone into these purged items and decided that no, I really want that item. My purged items are somewhat decreased and I hope to take part in a garage sale next spring before it's too late and everything ends up back in my stash. Lol Put your purged items out of sight for 6 mos and see if you still want any of it before you sell.
That's great advice. I actually have my purge basket in another room and I rarely pull anything out. Out of sight out of my greedy hands
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that's really up to you and how you create. I limit myself to all supplies that will fit on a regular size bookshelf. That includes cardstock, decorative paper, ribbon, stamps, ink, tools, etc. If it doesn't fit in that space, I either can't have it or have to purge to fit it!

But, I've found this works for me. I don't like having too many supplies. The more I have the less creative I am. Others might not feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I recently started de cluttering my craft room, I sold and donated things I would never use, like punches that I first bought, clear stamps that aren't my style anymore, I think as I have been stamping for 20 years my style has changed and I have relized I don't need to buy everything I see. I have regretted selling some sets of stamps.
I'm happy I have more room and some extra money, now I start making cards again, now that I can get into my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a question. Where do you sell your stamps? I used to sell some on Ebay but havent in a couple of years. As for garage sales, I go to them but don't have them. maybe I need to.
I posted a question on another board about where to donate craft supplies, anywhere besides thrift stores? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipper28View Post
I have a question. Where do you sell your stamps? I used to sell some on Ebay but havent in a couple of years. As for garage sales, I go to them but don't have them. maybe I need to.
I posted a question on another board about where to donate craft supplies, anywhere besides thrift stores? Thanks
There is a buy/sell thread here on SCS that people sell their stamps on. You could check that out.

You can donate to Ronald McDonald house.

I have found out in the past 5 years it is difficult to sell stamps and supplies. These items really do not have a resell value. I have tried consignment at thrift store with just a little luck and yards sells with no luck.

You can check to see if your local scrap/stamp store has a yearly yard sell. Some of these places either give you cash or store credit in return.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Maple Leaf

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
There is a buy/sell thread here on SCS that people sell their stamps on. You could check that out.

I have found out in the past 5 years it is difficult to sell stamps and supplies. These items really do not have a resell value. I have tried consignment at thrift store with just a little luck and yards sells with no luck.

You can check to see if your local scrap/stamp store has a yearly yard sell. Some of these places either give you cash or store credit in return.
Yes I have sold stamps and supplies here at SCS with much luck however I do agree that there is minimal resale value but if you're okay with that; there are many great buyers here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Maple Leaf

Quote:

Oops... I've answered your question but attached to another reply to this thread.

There are many great buyers here and if you are okay knowing that there is a small resale value; this site has a wonderful thread under BST forum. Good luck with your selling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post

I recently sold a few sets on SCS. Most of them didn't sell for what I thought they would. Five or six years ago, SU stamp sets sold very well on Ebay. From a buyer's perspective it was a lot! ;) Don't know about SCS. Now there's so much more competition that people can find any kind of stamp anywhere on the internet. Alas I have given up hope that sales of my stamp sets will cushion my retirement. LoL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

When I sell stamps I never expect to get more than 50%. My attitude is that un-used stamps/supplies are money on the shelf. If I'm not using them then I would rather have some money to put into something I will use. Considering I'm willing to donate what doesn't sell any money is better than nothing. Wish it was different, but it's how it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

I'm not purging. I'm just more cautious about what I buy now. I, like some of you, have given things away, only to buy them again and I don't want that happening anymore. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I donate my stamps and supplies to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation schools. They are one of the poorest school districts in the US and can really use the help. Diane Sawyer did a TV segment on the children there. Here's a link to their site with more information on what supplies they need and were to mail them. There are 4 places listed. Just click on the links and the list of supplies will appear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

deeth1... thank you for that link :p, I sew and will be sending baby clothing and most likely some school supplies, thank you again, g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Maple Leaf

Well I must say that purging has allowed me to scrapbook more efficently and effectively. No more digging. Can see through my stuff. It is awesome. Mind you I will continue to buy but am more cautious. Still selling through my things here in the BST thread. There are so many awesome people who love a gerat deal! I am thankful to have success so far... (knock on wood).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Just an update on my progress... In the inital stages it was easy. I determined what wasn't my style and even took a hard look at my stash to determine "simliar" items. I even downsized my Cricut collection and even sold my Baby Bug (kept my Original Expression). Everything was sold off.

Time passed and now am going through my stash (with some items being sold currently here) again. My judgement is if I haven't used it since the inital purge; it will be (hopefully) be sold to another crafter.

I cannot help but feel liberated and more creative to use what I have left. Items and tools that I really love. Funny I used to have a scrapbooking stash and a cardmaking stash; the two never blended. Today those two worlds do and I cannot believe how much I can stretch my supplies.

Is this for everybody? No. In fact I love seeing other craft rooms and other people's supplies. Sometimes I feel a wee jealous because honestly that's natural but am okay because once I get into my craft room and start creating; I get to my happy place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpiobabyView Post
Just an update on my progress... In the inital stages it was easy. I determined what wasn't my style and even took a hard look at my stash to determine "simliar" items. I even downsized my Cricut collection and even sold my Baby Bug (kept my Original Expression). Everything was sold off.

Time passed and now am going through my stash (with some items being sold currently here) again. My judgement is if I haven't used it since the inital purge; it will be (hopefully) be sold to another crafter.

I cannot help but feel liberated and more creative to use what I have left. Items and tools that I really love. Funny I used to have a scrapbooking stash and a cardmaking stash; the two never blended. Today those two worlds do and I cannot believe how much I can stretch my supplies.

Is this for everybody? No. In fact I love seeing other craft rooms and other people's supplies. Sometimes I feel a wee jealous because honestly that's natural but am okay because once I get into my craft room and start creating; I get to my happy place!
This paragraph really spoke to me - feeling more liberated and creative by lessening the stash. Like you, many of my supplies are also serving more than one purpose, and the strictly stamping portion is very minimized!

My answer to your original question, "How minimal can a stash be to become a creative crafter?" is still unknown... I've gone very minimal and it will be interesting to see if I'm creative enough to handle it ;) .

You seem really happy with your choices. I think once a person starts to ask those questions, they are ready for a change. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got done doing the unthinkable!

I cut over half of my 12x12 pattern paper stash down to 6x6 size. Only reason I saved some full size is because I have the envelope board.

I was all happy, cutting away. Seeing my paper get more compacted. Then, it dawned on me. What will I make envelopes out off!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Congratulations, Leslie!

I remember doing that years ago - I found that I liked a lot of patterns better when I saw them as 6 x 6. I think 12 x 12 of some things was just too much to look at. And storing smaller sheets was so much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm having new carpet installed so had to pack up everything, including all my stamps. This morning I thought "what if I get rid of/sell all the sets I haven't used in a year?" Except the few that I will never part with like "Always in Style." There are sets I haven't used in YEARS. Out with the old!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I started with a more basic purge just a couple of weeks ago: all the tiny scraps of paper, and all the "I'll bet I can use that" ribbons and boxes and tags and donations from other stampers and bent paper and dried up glue and...

It was amazing--two grocery bags full of things that should have been thrown out to begin with! It was an easy purge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

My craft garage sale is tomorrow and the major purge is done. This is the biggest sale I'll ever have and I've slashed prices really really (did I say really?) low as I want all this stuff to go.

This morning I kept going through all the drawers to see if there was anything I could purge - I had to stop as I was getting a little too purge happy. I needed to stop so I could finish pricing everything.

Wish me luck and high sales. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been organizing, selling and giving stuff away for a long time. Yesterday we had a friend who sells carpets come measure rooms in our house for new carpet. When he saw the craft room, he said you better skip this room it would be impossible to re-carpet. LOL. Guess I still have some work to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 04:54 AM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafterinncView Post
I have been organizing, selling and giving stuff away for a long time. Yesterday we had a friend who sells carpets come measure rooms in our house for new carpet. When he saw the craft room, he said you better skip this room it would be impossible to re-carpet. LOL. Guess I still have some work to do!

I'd love to replace the carpet in my craft room with something more durable but I'll need to rent a Pod to store all my stuff and thought of dismantling my room it is just plain scary ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

That's amazing! I wish you all the best with the garage sale. And that new breath is a creative one in your craft space. Please keep me posted. Good Luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
My craft garage sale is tomorrow and the major purge is done. This is the biggest sale I'll ever have and I've slashed prices really really (did I say really?) low as I want all this stuff to go.

This morning I kept going through all the drawers to see if there was anything I could purge - I had to stop as I was getting a little too purge happy. I needed to stop so I could finish pricing everything.

Wish me luck and high sales. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just finished cleaning and organizing 5 more drawers in my iris carts. Almost all done. I have left to go through a box of stamped images and swap cards.

Very last thing I will do is the daunting task of going through my punches and making a list of all that I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpiobabyView Post
That's amazing! I wish you all the best with the garage sale. And that new breath is a creative one in your craft space. Please keep me posted. Good Luck!
Thank you so much - I made almost $500 today but I still have a lot left to sell. I'm going to try to go to the LSS garage sale next month to sell some more. Woo Hoo!!
Reply With Quote Likes