Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #281  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally have some pictures of the water cask boxes that I've turned into storage boxes. This would work with any box really, just depending on the space you have. Click on them to see the bigger picture.

The first image shows the before, during and after process. It should be pretty easy to work out The second one shows the 3 I had at that stage; I've since put another two into use (they're the perfect size for comic books!) and have another 3 waiting to be filled and find a home! And the third shows them in action on my shelves. They're the PERFECT size for these shelves and so useful! I can either pull something out of the box if it's at the front, or I can take the whole box out! In the background of the first two pictures you can see that I currently have my dvd collection sitting on my desk (it used to be on the floor!). Once I have a proper storage unit for them, I plan to have a row of these sitting along the little shelf there, holding all my most used supplies - tools, glues, pens and pencils, sewing threads and notions etc. Once they're decorated I think they'll look so pretty sitting on my desk!

I also have a few more ideas. I currently have my small stash of ribbon in a clear container that my scones came in from the supermarket! It's rectangular and has the lid that snaps into the base. Though if my ribbon stash grows any further I'll have to find it a new home! Then I'll find another use for the container!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #282  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great use of on-hand supplies/re-cycling/re-using. Here's another possible idea - could you put the opening facing out instead of up and put 2 or 3 dowl rods from the sides to make little shelves that you could put containers on? I have used small dowls that I could actually cut with scissors or a steak knife. Also, could you stack them with the opening facing out to make shelves or cubbies out of them? You could possibly glue them together or use fabric scraps to tie/bind them together. Just a thought form a not-so fresh set of eyes. But I really like the idea. Good for you for coming up with it. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 02:36 AM   #283  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
Great use of on-hand supplies/re-cycling/re-using. Here's another possible idea - could you put the opening facing out instead of up and put 2 or 3 dowl rods from the sides to make little shelves that you could put containers on? I have used small dowls that I could actually cut with scissors or a steak knife. Also, could you stack them with the opening facing out to make shelves or cubbies out of them? You could possibly glue them together or use fabric scraps to tie/bind them together. Just a thought form a not-so fresh set of eyes. But I really like the idea. Good for you for coming up with it. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Though I actually got the idea from the bottom of one of them ;) But it's such a great idea!

That's a great idea! I had actually thought about using them as shelves for all my fabric remnants, but it could definitely work fro crafting supplies too. It really just depends on what you plan to put inside really. I'm using these ones as storage boxes, with the cut down front making it easier to see what's inside. I don't think I really have anything in my stash that would need shelves, but it's something I'll keep in mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 02:52 AM   #284  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastChaelView Post
Thanks! Though I actually got the idea from the bottom of one of them ;) But it's such a great idea!

That's a great idea! I had actually thought about using them as shelves for all my fabric remnants, but it could definitely work fro crafting supplies too. It really just depends on what you plan to put inside really. I'm using these ones as storage boxes, with the cut down front making it easier to see what's inside. I don't think I really have anything in my stash that would need shelves, but it's something I'll keep in mind!
When I was growing up (esp as a teenager) we still had glass bottle sodas. They came to the stores in boxes with dividers in them, much like drinking glasses are shipped now. I used to get them and tape the inserts into place then use them for storage of all my little goodies. If they were too tall for what I wanted to store I'd cut them down to meet my needs. I don't quite remember what I stored in them now, seems like maybe writing supplies and I'd imagine crafting supplies as well. They were my favy thing at the time. It was the start to budget control and re-cycling, I guess. They were free so I didn't have to spend my allowance on them. As a younger child I remember getting boxes and making rooms out of carpet, floor tile & fabric scraps for my Barbie dolls. The upside to them all is when they get in rough shape you can easily replace them with another for no additional price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #285  
Matboard Maniac

I found so many good ideas here on how to save money. I recycle Mason jars I get at garage sales. I use them for buttons and brads mostly. I have all my little tools in a flower pot I got for Mother's Day last year. My ribbon I store in plastic baskets I got at the dollar store. I thread the ribbon threw the holes in the side so I can find what I'm looking for faster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #286  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimarinemom2006View Post
I found so many good ideas here on how to save money. I recycle Mason jars I get at garage sales. I use them for buttons and brads mostly. I have all my little tools in a flower pot I got for Mother's Day last year. My ribbon I store in plastic baskets I got at the dollar store. I thread the ribbon threw the holes in the side so I can find what I'm looking for faster.
Cool idea for the ribbon and the flower pots could be used for so much. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #287  
Rubber Obsessor

You can use the paint paddles stir stick things like they give you to stir paint for making the shelves. They are a little wider than the dowel rods. Lord knows I have tons of them in the garage.

Cut a small slot on each side and run them thru. You could probably put a little glue on it to help hold them in place. Wouldn't hold anything really heavy but most of my stuff other than punches are fairly light.

Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #288  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just stoping by to wish everyone a blessed Easter Sunday and that this will be the beginning of a healing season for those who need it in whatever manner it is needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #289  
Cardstock Collector

Love this thread, such great ideas.
My best repurposed item is a portable tool box and has a couple of drawers, a swing out drawer at the bottom and a lift out tray at the top. It also has a spool on the side for an extension cord. I love this tool box, which I bought at a garage sale for $3, because I can hold a good amount of stuff in it and it is super portable to take to crops and it has the extension cord spool which comes in handy for my Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #290  
Kookie Creator

I have to share this ...
I have wanted a clip it up for a while now but didnt want to spend the money so i have made my own
I used a lamp shade some threaded rod from the hardware store cement and a plant pot.the plant pot cost the most ( i went to get a cheep one ) but fell in love with this one .
Attached Thumbnails
What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-img_0044.jpg   What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-img_0045.jpg   What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-img_0047.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #291  
Kookie Creator

fue more pics
Attached Thumbnails
What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-img_0046.jpg   What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-img_0048.jpg   What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-img_0049.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #292  
Mad Swapper

LOVE - LOVE - Love it -- thanks for sharing the pics and the how ya done it
g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #293  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Punches

I really need a better way to store my punches. I have lots of different kinds (regular fiskars, squeeze punches, EK) and right now I have one of those plastic five drawer (4" high) units and keep the punches in the bottom. But this is a waste of space because I have to keep them in the big drawers on the bottom and half the drawer is empty (but can't keep them on the top because they are too heavy). They are just thrown in. Not fun to find anything. Space is limited and so is cash. Any ideas?
~Blessings,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #294  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by skropodraView Post
fue more pics
Great idea! What I'd REALLY like to know though, is where did you get those huge magnets that you used on your walls? I have a space that would be perfect for that!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #295  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sherrie,

I love your newest creation, but I have a little green monster sitting on my shoulder over the rest of your room as well. I so agree with the question - where'd you get the magnets? Your room is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #296  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutiepatutieView Post
Great idea! What I'd REALLY like to know though, is where did you get those huge magnets that you used on your walls? I have a space that would be perfect for that!

Thanks!!
IKEA ..they are in the kitchen section they are for knifes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #297  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
Sherrie,

I love your newest creation, but I have a little green monster sitting on my shoulder over the rest of your room as well. I so agree with the question - where'd you get the magnets? Your room is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #298  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldumont999View Post
I really need a better way to store my punches. I have lots of different kinds (regular fiskars, squeeze punches, EK) and right now I have one of those plastic five drawer (4" high) units and keep the punches in the bottom. But this is a waste of space because I have to keep them in the big drawers on the bottom and half the drawer is empty (but can't keep them on the top because they are too heavy). They are just thrown in. Not fun to find anything. Space is limited and so is cash. Any ideas?
~Blessings,
Have you considered putting a shoe box or other small box in the bottom drawer along with your punches to allow you room to use the rest of the drawer without stuff mixing in with your punches?

Another method that seems to work well for others is to hang a curtain rod on the wall and "hang" the punches on it, so that the pieces straddle the rod and lean against the wall for balance. I don't use this method myself, but I know that there are pictures in the gallery if you look hard enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #299  
Die Cut Diva

Default Hmmm

Hmm. I had not thought of that. I do have a dowel on hooks for my ribbon. I'm going to see if that curtain rod thing will work for me. Thanks! I've seen the over the door shoe holder used for punches but the door isn't any where near my desk so I don't think that would be convenient. Again, hand't thought of hooking/hanging them that way. You've started me on a new thought trail that I'm sure will lead somewhere good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #300  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

IKEA ..they are in the kitchen section they are for knifes
AWESOME! I live about 10 miles from an Ikea. Headed there next week! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #301  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Hmm. I had not thought of that. I do have a dowel on hooks for my ribbon. I'm going to see if that curtain rod thing will work for me. Thanks! I've seen the over the door shoe holder used for punches but the door isn't any where near my desk so I don't think that would be convenient. Again, hand't thought of hooking/hanging them that way. You've started me on a new thought trail that I'm sure will lead somewhere good.
Louise: I found some pictures and links to blogs with photos here: Forums at Splitcoaststampers Check out posts #10 and #15....probably more, but didn't look much farther.

Maybe this will help you. I love this idea, but I'm running out of room on my walls, so I'm still keeping my punches in make-shift areas until inspiration strikes and I think of a better solution. The four punches I use most sit on top of the storage cart on my right side (fits under my work table), another bunch (including the mega Marvy punches) are on top of a drawer that holds some of my overflow DSP....that sits on the bottom shelf of the cart that holds my Big Shot (within arm's reach), and the rest are in a bin next to that.
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #302  
Die Cut Diva

Default Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat55View Post
Louise: I found some pictures and links to blogs with photos here: Forums at Splitcoaststampers Check out posts #10 and #15....probably more, but didn't look much farther.
Thanks so much for sending the link. I haven't had time to search myself. I don't know if I can do this. Have to think it through. I have a corner desk with shelving on both sides (totally full). I'm considering one other spot for these (already have my ribbon up there) but I don't think I could put up enough for all the punches I have. Right now they are in a drawer. I like the idea of hanging them up so that i can see everything I have. Just have to find the right spot. Thank you again for taking the time. to send this. I really appreciate it.
~Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #303  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Thanks so much for sending the link. I haven't had time to search myself. I don't know if I can do this. Have to think it through. I have a corner desk with shelving on both sides (totally full). I'm considering one other spot for these (already have my ribbon up there) but I don't think I could put up enough for all the punches I have. Right now they are in a drawer. I like the idea of hanging them up so that i can see everything I have. Just have to find the right spot. Thank you again for taking the time. to send this. I really appreciate it.
~Blessings
You're certainly welcome, Louise! I have kinda the same problem with wall space. I have a ribbon addiction (as you'll see from my gallery pix) so it takes up all the wall space right in front of my desk. And, although I've considered putting a couple of curtain rods on the side wall, it would have to be pretty high to clear the storage I have on the other table, so I'm not sure it would be very convenient. Staying in my chair and reaching to the side for any of my punches is certainly fast, even if it's not a very eye-catching system! ;)

Have a great week....
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #304  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

~Blessings
can you pull the corner into the room ?so you have more wall space??i have a corner desk and i have the L in the middle of the room and sit behind it I will pose some pics as soon as my camera recharges to show you what i mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #305  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

can you pull the corner into the room ?so you have more wall space??i have a corner desk and i have the L in the middle of the room and sit behind it I will pose some pics as soon as my camera recharges to show you what i mean.
Humm... Interesting thought. I'm not sure it will work because this is also the guest bedroom (we have a futon that needs to be pulled out). If I put the desk in the middle, I don't know if I would be able to pull out the bed - or if there would be enough room to get in and out (other than from the bottom. Have to do some measuring. Very interesting idea though. Makes me wonder if maybe I should move some of the furniture around a bit and see what comes of it. The room could use some paint too. Ah!... This is starting to sound like a lot of work. Maybe it would just be easier to move to an other house. LOL
~Blessings,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #306  
Cardstock Collector

Hi gals, I don't have any new ideas for you right now, but I just wanted to let you know that I've gleaned some great ideas from this thread. I'm running off to try them right now! Thanks!

www.carilundell.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #307  
Kookie Creator

the pics of how I have my desk in my room maybe it will give you ideas for more wall space
Attached Thumbnails
What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-img_0070.jpg   What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-img_0071.jpg   What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-img_0072.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #308  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

the pics of how I have my desk in my room maybe it will give you ideas for more wall space
I know that the Bible says to "be content" in the state that you are in - but I've got to admit that the green monster raised his head for few minutes when I saw your craft area. Awesome. I did get a few ideas from what I saw too. TFS.
~Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #309  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sherrie,

Love Love your craft room. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #310  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I know that the Bible says to "be content" in the state that you are in - but I've got to admit that the green monster raised his head for few minutes when I saw your craft area. Awesome. I did get a few ideas from what I saw too. TFS.
~Blessings
Just so you know, you're so not by yourself with that green monster. Mine went up as well. ;) She does have a beautiful work area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #311  
Cardstock Collector

I aw this idea in the gallery and had to try! So this I did this this afternoon: Got the framed magnetic dry-erase board for $10 on clearence, the tins were $15 for 30 (could have found them cheaper if I looked or had a coupon) and go magnet strips for $4 (2 packs). Just under $30 and I have all my embellisments in an arms reach, and beautifully stored. Now I have more spac eon my desk, and I can see things that I haven't used in forever
Photobucket
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #312  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieLovesCrowsView Post
I aw this idea in the gallery and had to try! So this I did this this afternoon: Got the framed magnetic dry-erase board for $10 on clearence, the tins were $15 for 30 (could have found them cheaper if I looked or had a coupon) and go magnet strips for $4 (2 packs). Just under $30 and I have all my embellisments in an arms reach, and beautifully stored. Now I have more spac eon my desk, and I can see things that I haven't used in forever
Photobucket
LOVE it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #313  
Kookie Creator

AWWWW thanks guys
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #314  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieLovesCrowsView Post
Photobucket
Great idea - thanks for sharing. I've been looking for something/some way for to store my embellies , this looks like a good start. I actually have some electric heat register covers. They are metal and are 5 & 7 feel long. I was planning to clean the up really well; spray paint them a nice bright color and use them to put my ribbon & punches in. They are almost the same size as the large SU ribbon holders. Now I'm feeling a new idea brewing as well. Use the same little tins & mag strips & attach them to the outside of the things as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #315  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

WOW! That's it!!!! Something has been bothering me all along about my craft space. I'm facing the wall! I am so going to change that. Thanks for the inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #316  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
WOW! That's it!!!! Something has been bothering me all along about my craft space. I'm facing the wall! I am so going to change that. Thanks for the inspiration!
You will love that change! I was facing the wall, too, working on a table about 36 inches deep with a ton of stuff underneath it and at the back. I switched to a narrow table only about 18 inches deep facing out into the room with a bank of book cases behind me for all the stuff that was underneath the table and it's like a whole new world. The rest of the room is a hang-out space for my DD and now I can chat with her or watch TV or just see the window and it is so much nicer.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #317  
Polyshrink Goddess

I changed my Studio around so that my desk faces a window; it's wonderful! Now I have to fix up my garden.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #318  
Insane Embellisher

Oh, I love that idea of facing out into the room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #319  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, there's so many amazing posts to go through, but I store all my punches in an "over the door" shoe storage which has see-thru pockets so I can see what's in each pocket. You don't have to store punches in them, you can store anything (embellies, ribbon, etc.). Nice thing is that each pocket can easily hold 2 punches. Keep an eye out for them at garage/yard sales in your neighborhood, along with other storage ideas that can pretty up your special place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #320  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Need some cat proof storage

Right now my craft room doubles as the home office and the "new cat" room. She likes paper and plastic. I need some ideas for cat proofing and organizing my craft supplies. Currently we have two Ikea Desks along the one wall. A fling cabinet under the window that double for a printer stand. A tall bookcase full of books. All my craft stuff in in those plastic drawers things. There really is no room for them in the room ( I should take and post some pictures). I am hoping none of my kids return home to live for the umpteenth time and maybe take some of their "rooms" with them to give me more space :rolleyes:
Any ideas are welcome.
I am loving some of the ideas I've already seen ( haven't been able to check the whole thread yet)
Reply With Quote Likes