Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #161  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
Oohh, now I get it! THANK YOU so much for taking the pics for us! I truly appreciate it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #162  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi, Kelly! I love storing my ribbon in canning jars because it's an organization tool AND a decoration, all in one!

IKEA has the magnetic strips with mounting holes for incredibly cheap ($2??). Wish I'd bought more on our last trip there because I use them all over the house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #163  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlazarskiView Post
Hi, Kelly! I love storing my ribbon in canning jars because it's an organization tool AND a decoration, all in one!

IKEA has the magnetic strips with mounting holes for incredibly cheap ($2??). Wish I'd bought more on our last trip there because I use them all over the house!
I think the Harbor Freight magnetic tool strips are $3.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #164  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I must say I have used the idea I read here about using the index tab punch and creating a ribbon wrap then sorted my colored ribbon in Mason Jars pints and quarts -- wow, didn't realize how much green and blue ribbon I had and how little red and yellow -- LOL not sure that was a good thing. I might have to go shopping for some red and yellow now. LOL ;)
I am doing the same thing! I can't believe how much ribbon I have of some colors and how little I have of others, what a great excuse to stock up ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #165  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I think the Harbor Freight magnetic tool strips are $3.
I haven't heard of that store; are they a regional store?

Magnetic strips are so handy, especially if you use the magnetic clips with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #166  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

I have not seen the whole tread yet, but another neat thing you used to be able to find at Harbor Freight Tools is these storage boxes that were intended to hold bullets... ( and they fit some peg style alphabet stamps perfectly... they used to be cheaper then they were the last time i looked but, I've also seen these in stores that sell hunting gear ( usually more )
I have alot of my things inside fishing tackle boxes ( deep dividerless ones from Cabela's) will work on some photos later this morning, had my coffee and my bike is calling my name

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #167  
Insane Embellisher

Ohhhh...I so love Cabela's fudge. Wonderful, fun store!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I have not seen the whole tread yet, but another neat thing you used to be able to find at Harbor Freight Tools is these storage boxes that were intended to hold bullets... ( and they fit some peg style alphabet stamps perfectly... they used to be cheaper then they were the last time i looked but, I've also seen these in stores that sell hunting gear ( usually more )
I have alot of my things inside fishing tackle boxes ( deep dividerless ones from Cabela's) will work on some photos later this morning, had my coffee and my bike is calling my name
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #168  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I haven't heard of that store; are they a regional store?

Magnetic strips are so handy, especially if you use the magnetic clips with them!
My hubby and grandpa get magazines from Harbor Freight all the time. I think they have an online store too.
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #169  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Oooh, that's pretty cool too. I just got a few baby food jars from my neighbor, hope to add them to the bottom of a shelf.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #170  
Forum Fanatic

Hee hee, hi, Jess! Great thread we found here. I think you told me about it before, but I failed to check it out. See, I could have been better organized already had I been here before!! ;)

Ooh, I found these cute little preserves jars (Ball brand) at Target last night. (hope to post pics later in my gallery too) They are only about 3 inches high with the lid and ring and have a wide mouth opening. They are sooo cute! LOL They look great with my buttons in them too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #171  
Forum Fanatic

Here is a photo of those cute little jars -- HERE

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #172  
Watercolor Wizard

Some of my favorite storage items from Harbor Freight are the plastic storage boxes that hold multiple small boxes inside- one has 12 rectangles, another has 24 squares. They don't seem to stock the one with 12 rounds anymore- I used that one for bulk embossing powder, it was perfect!

BTW- glad those of you who wanted to see the storage thing with jars got to see it- I was notified that they pulled it from my gallery- it didn't meet requirements as a crafted item. Since I do not know how to put a photo on the thread, no more pictures of my storage stuff, I guess!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #173  
Insane Embellisher

Okay - a few of my favorite thrifty storage containers

Well-made wicker baskets to each to hold my various collections of prisma pencils, sharpie markers, scisssors, tools, cards, etc.

Plastic SU boxes hold my little bottles of embossing powder (and re-cycled empty bottles re-filed with) eyelets, brads, glitters, beads, buttons, findings.

Old metal school lunchboxes hold all my ink refills, glue on beads, brass stencils, wire stuff.

Baby Wipe Boxes hold ribbon spools...I didn't bother putting holes in the sides to disoense, but I do label the ends with what kind of ribbon they hold, and they are on end in a big drawer.

I have some sort of hanger dealie that someone gave me for holding hair doo-dads but it holds an amazing amount of "card starts & fparts" to store my creative dead-ends to use later. 80 see-thru pockets, 40 on each side, I have it hanging on a closet door with one of those over the door edge hooks, and when company is expected I just move the hook to the inside of the closet and it looks more clear.

Magnetic Metal mesh baskets that hold things on my metal file cabinets.

Probably the best cheap storage I have are 3 sewing pattern cabinets (simplicity and butterick, like the JoAnn stores have) that were given to me by a boss who was closing a store that had once been a Ben Franklin store. Each drawer holds about 100 mounted sets of stamps, big shot stuff, ribbons, and keeps it contained. If you can get your hands on one or more of these, you will be amazed how much they hold!

Please stop by my blog and say "Hi!"
http://cheryl-outonawhim.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #174  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Some of my favorite storage items from Harbor Freight are the plastic storage boxes that hold multiple small boxes inside- one has 12 rectangles, another has 24 squares. They don't seem to stock the one with 12 rounds anymore- I used that one for bulk embossing powder, it was perfect!

BTW- glad those of you who wanted to see the storage thing with jars got to see it- I was notified that they pulled it from my gallery- it didn't meet requirements as a crafted item. Since I do not know how to put a photo on the thread, no more pictures of my storage stuff, I guess!
You can include thumbnail photos in your post if you make the photos as low res as possible and then use the paperclip button on the advanced 'reply to thread' page.

I'm surprised they wouldn't let you keep your photo in the 'stamping spaces' gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #175  
Scrappy Chef

Quote:

You can include thumbnail photos in your post if you make the photos as low res as possible and then use the paperclip button on the advanced 'reply to thread' page.

I'm surprised they wouldn't let you keep your photo in the 'stamping spaces' gallery!
Exactly...that doesn't seem right that they would pull that photo...unless wrong category?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #176  
Insane Embellisher

I have a Harbor Freight Tools store less than a mile away from my house. An Ikea store about 7 miles...a Joanne's about 4 miles and a Michael's about 4 miles. No Hobby Lobby thou. I'm going to shop Harbor Freight Tools differently now ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #177  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by magmossView Post
I have a Harbor Freight Tools store less than a mile away from my house. An Ikea store about 7 miles...a Joanne's about 4 miles and a Michael's about 4 miles. No Hobby Lobby thou. I'm going to shop Harbor Freight Tools differently now ;-)
I would be in big financial trouble if our IKEA weren't six hours away! Hobby Lobby is nice for their coupons, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #178  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by magmossView Post
Get on their mail/email list. You can get some mighty good deals! Those storage boxes with the little ones inside? I wait until they have 'em on sale at $2.99. And I buy enough to give them as gifts in Secret sister swaps and such. It's a great craft storage item, and heck, three bucks???

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #179  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you, Littlekel90, for posting a picture!!! Those little jars from Target are adorable!

Thanks for sharing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #180  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Cheap ribbon storage

While organizing my daughter's old room (she just moved out), I wanted to put my many ribbons out where I could have easy access to them.

Wal-Mart has little sterlite storage containers that are approximately 8 x 8 with holes on all 4 sides. I purchased 4 of these for $1 each and a package of wooden dowels for .97 cents and put all the ribbons of the same size in each of my sterlite boxes, using the wooden dowel to "string" them on. They are easy to access and I placed the ribbon ends all facing the same way, so all I have to do is pull on the ribbon end I want and cut the length I desire for my card project. I hang these little crates by putting 2 nails in the wall & utilizing 2 of the "holes" of the back side of the crate. I'll try to post a picture if anyone is interested.

I was very happy to make 4 of these ribbon holders for just under $5.

The nice thing about it is, I can re-use the ribbon holders if I run out of a certain size ribbon, as it will fit any size spool of ribbon SU or the craft store sells.

I hope I did this right. This is my first set of pictures to post. Hope this works & helps you!

Scrapbook Pages By Steph772 Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by crazedstamper; 01-31-2010 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: remove duplicate picture post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2010, 02:49 PM   #181  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Punch storage

I purchased a plastic hang over the door shoe organizer to house my puches, except I decided to use nails to attach this inside a closet. I put the plastic divider in between my punch, so the punch outline is displayed on the outside and I can easily see what punch is there. All my large punches are now nicely organized in this rather than the big basket I used to use.

I also found a smaller wooden shelf at the thrift store for .50 that I repainted to match the room I'm re-doing as my craft room and have put the smaller punches on this shelf, with the tops showing, so I know which punch is which and can easily access them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #182  
Rubber Obsessor

Crazedstamper,

If it's not too much trouble, I would love to see a picture of the ribbon boxes you made! They sound perfect...how clever (& affordable).

Is the plastic hanger sturdy enough for your punches? Mine seem so heavy; I am a bit worried about even storing them in my plastic drawers...

Thanks so much,

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #183  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. They probably removed it because you had it in the members gallery? (just guessing) I had been told before that they like to keep that cleaned up there. If you load your photos like that to the stamping spaces (use the drop down menu for categories when you upload), it would probably be fine there. I did that with mine when I read your post that they removed it. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #184  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazedstamperView Post
While organizing my daughter's old room (she just moved out), I wanted to put my many ribbons out where I could have easy access to them.

Wal-Mart has little sterlite storage containers that are approximately 8 x 8 with holes on all 4 sides. I purchased 4 of these for $1 each and a package of wooden dowels for .97 cents and put all the ribbons of the same size in each of my sterlite boxes, using the wooden dowel to "string" them on.
Scrapbook Pages By Steph772 Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
How smart to use these as ribbon holders. I have a couple that I house my CD cases with my unmounted stamps in (using separate ones for different manufacturers like High Hopes and Stampavie). I would have never thought of the dowel rod idea. clever girl

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #185  
Gabfest Goddess

Great ideas - I have to get my room organized, so I can post some photos. I have the wire "cubes" that I've taken some cheap wicker baskets (real cheap - hubby brought them home from work - they had bakery/sandwich stuff from meetings), used "S" hooks and hung them up in the cubes - I keep my envelopes and glues in these.

My best find - a custom hutch that someone was throwing out - it fits perfectly on my one wall and the open top part has a lot of my current stamp sets and it has lots of drawers for other "stuff".

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #186  
Stazon Splitcoast

I need a fairy to come to my house and either nod her head or wave her wand and organize my craft cave, my house couldn't hurt having her do it either. So if any of you run across a fairy, please send her to my house. LOL Really I'm not sure if I'll ever get things organized, craft room or house in general.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #187  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

i would need a group of fairies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #188  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
i would need a group of fairies!
:rolleyes: Yep, I think that one poor fairy would actually get tennis elbow at my house. So I think you're right it would take a whole group of fairies. I just didn't want it to sound so bad. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #189  
Insane Embellisher

bumpin back to top...love the ideas here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #190  
Insane Embellisher

I forgot something earlier on my recyled list:

When I unmounted all my stamps and placed them in CD cases, I had all these inserts from the CD cases....tons of them.

I wrapped Ribbon around them, sometimes 3 types of ribbon, they're all the same size, stand up in a photo box very nicely and I can see all the ribbons instantly at a glance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #191  
Insane Embellisher

I've had great fun reading thru this thread, and have gotten some great ideas!

My whole craft room is made of found and hand-me-down items. I use a cheap 2 drawer filing cabinet (that I've had for well over 20 years) for all my cardstock scraps. It contains a file folder for each solid color, and another one for each patterned paper by color. Now that it's separated into colors, I find myself using MUCH more of my scraps. My Big Shot is sitting on a rolling tea card, circa 1960's, that I inherited from my DMIL. The drawer is perfect for all my Nesties and dies. My work table is a fold up version I purchased at Home Depot a few years ago. It's sturdy, and doesn't give like I was afraid it would. I'm big on plastic bins and drawer cabinets for all my S/U sets, embellishments and extra cards. I have 11 multi drawer cabinets of various sizes and at least 10 individual drawer chests. My single $1 Studio G mounted stamps are in another large plastic bin, as are my punches, divided into one for S/U and another for my Marvy giga punches.

But my favorite idea is for my beloved ribbon supply. I was really wanting one of those clip-it up systems, but the price was way out of my league. So I purchased a few of the metal pantry storage units (that are made to be affixed to a pantry door for more storage), lined each of the shelves with heavy cardboard so the ribbon spools wouldn't slip thru and viola! A perfect solution for my dozens of ribbon spools. I also found some of the clips like the commercial version uses and hang these from the bottom to keep track of my ribbon scraps.

Here's some pix:
Full Ribbon bank by kitkat55 at Splitcoaststampers
Close up of ribbon bank by kitkat55 at Splitcoaststampers
Close up of clips by kitkat55 at Splitcoaststampers

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #192  
Insane Embellisher

Ohhhh...I love the pictures! I keep going back and reading the ideas. But the pictures sure help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #193  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kat,

I LOVE LOVE the ribbon idea. I actually think I have 1 or 2 of those I purchased & then found they wouldn't work in my cabinets the way I wanted them to. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #194  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kat, thanks for the great pictures! Do you remember the exact name of those clips? I've had a hard time finding these things at a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #195  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not Kat, but I bought several packages of the clips at Joanns. I don't remember what they were called but they are in the jewelry making section; the manufacturer was Darice. I also bought some on line from a retail supplier but they were quite a bit more expensive. Joanns has their jewelry making supplies on sale quite frequently and they always have coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #196  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

clips for ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #197  
Polyshrink Goddess

Everyone is talking about the clips... .I actually found this last night. I'm not sure if it's been posted before, but I thought it was really interesting. It's her first video so she doesn't have the camera angled right part of the time, but you will get the jest of it. I'm gonna have to try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Up5...rom=PL&index=7

~With GOD all things are possible ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #198  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolanninnwmoView Post
I'm not Kat, but I bought several packages of the clips at Joanns. I don't remember what they were called but they are in the jewelry making section; the manufacturer was Darice. I also bought some on line from a retail supplier but they were quite a bit more expensive. Joanns has their jewelry making supplies on sale quite frequently and they always have coupons.
That's exactly right, Carolann! I ordered them online from Joanne's and it's some sort of jewelry thingy. Not into making jewelry myself (this hobby is taxing my budget already! ;)), so I don't know what their original use is, but that's the section I found them in. I suspect I saw this idea either here on SCS or a blog about a year ago, because I've had this system for about that long. And it's working very well....except that I need at least one more 4 shelf unit for expansion of my ribbon "collection"!

And SnowCountry, I use the clips to keep my ribbon scraps (or unspooled ribbon, if I had any) handy and in sight so I'll remember to use it. I've also used the clips to hang up an inspiration piece as I'm working at my table.
Close up of clips by kitkat55 at Splitcoaststampers

Have a great weekend!
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10

Last edited by kitkat55; 02-05-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #199  
Cardstock Collector

I like to use hangers.
The 4 tiered with closepins (found on clearance) for hanging paper pkgs and big zip-lock bags of stuff.
The 3 tiered pant hanger (DH is wondering where his hangers went, hehe) I thread ribbon spools on the swinging arms.

Then when we've used all the cds from the spindal case (I don't know how to describ them) I put ribbon spools on the spindal. I can get 6-9 spools on 1 case.

I found a door hanging barbie organizer with clear pockets that is great for lots of little things that I can see at a glance.

Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #200  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Kat, thanks for the great pictures! Do you remember the exact name of those clips? I've had a hard time finding these things at a reasonable price.
I just found them on the Joanns site. They are Darice Jewelry Designer Dangler clips. They sell them in a pack of 21 for $3.99. The item number is
#6827000. HTH!! I am going to have to get some of them too....:-)

Gail

www.gailscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes