Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #441  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a GREAT idea... and now I know what to do with all my skinny strips I have. I'll sit, watch a movie, and punch away!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #442  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
I'm trying to figure out some way to store all the borders I'm going to get in my border swap I just started. I do some scrapping & some card making & they will work for either but I just am not sure how to store them. Anyone have any suggestions? And if you would like to join my swap it's in my siggy.
maybe try desk drawer organizers. remember those little tray like boxes.
i've seen them at walmart/officemax,etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #443  
Cardstock Collector

I buy old spice racks-clean them and they are compact and looking good--usually a dollar or 2 at yard sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #444  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by joystamp4View Post
I have prepunched borders in a tall, skinny jar (like a spaghetti keeper).
Love this idea!!

~With GOD all things are possible ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #445  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by felsa2000View Post
what great ideas!! i'll be putting many of them to use.

--i get different sized plastic baggies by the tons at work (they get tossed if i don't take them) and i store my paper scraps in them-by color-then i stand them up in a kleenex box to flip thru as needed. whew! that's all i can think of right now--getting a headache.
Where do you work? If it is somewhere common, maybe we could drop by our local one and get some before they get tossed. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #446  
Compulsive Stamper

pretty common---i work in a hospital and many patient drugs come up from pharmacy in various sizes of plastic ziploc style baggies. (the pills are individually wrapped so nothing actually touches the insides).
check with friends that may be unit clerks, nurse assistants or nurses....i'm sure they'd be glad to pick them up...i, personally, try to recycle anything i can get my hands on that is clean (doesn't touch the patient). i even save the tops off iv meds to use like a button (no hole-but can write tiny words on them).
thanks for reading...
KC

Last edited by felsa2000; 08-14-2010 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: incorrect spelling--i'm a dork
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #447  
Stazon Splitcoast

Love the jar storage for the borders and it would work for some of them but the ones I'm having the most problem with are the 2 x 12 ones I'm making/receiving in the swaps I'm in. I'm really getting excited about a storage solution for them because I'm hosting a 2 x 12 punchy swap where you cut papers into 2 x 12 & use your favy punches on each side so you could cut it in half & have double the borders. I already have 89 spots filled & the swap has only be open a week. It's not due until 10-31 so I have plenty of time to figure something out but still I'm trying to get ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #448  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by amymcgsView Post
I'm frugal. VERY frugal. I don't have $$ to spend on fancy organizers and plastic color-coordinating boxes, so I make due with what I have or what I can get super-cheap. I know I'm not the only one.... so, c'mon, please share your free or nearly-free craft organizing ideas with me!

Some of mine:

-- I have a box (that once held green bean cans) cut down to make a magazine holder.
-- I use "x" pencil holder boxes that I bought a while back in the Target Dollar Spot for sorting colored pencils.
-- I use ziplock bags to sort everything from paper scraps to my own page "kits"--- elements/photos that I know will eventually belong together on a page.
-- After reading the thread on organizing ribbon, I'm going to raid my stash of mason jars and come up with a new storage system for my ribbon. Currently, it's stuffed into shoeboxes.

Those are just a few of my free/cheap storage ideas.... what do YOU use?
some of my el cheapo storage ideas.

1.I use the plastic bottles that Pounce cat treats come in for storing my paper flowers, and if they happen to come with matching buttons then I add them to the bottle also.(they have purple lids so that's a plus for me!) some of them just have buttons, but I can see what colors are in each container. dont have a cat? ask some friends, or maybe they have a friend who does!

2. The wire storage racks for kitchen cabinets are great, there are stackable shelves, and other things found in the kitchen area of WM. My favorite piece is a little rack that is made like stair steps. it's perfect for laying my stickes down on their sides, as well as sitting my glitter glue bottles on. I can see everything at once. these racks start at about 3.00.

3. The contianers for many dog foods, Caesers, and Beneful for example come in great little containers. fantastic for mixing paints, or using other messy products in, and you can just throw it away after finished. The Beneful containers are like small storage bowls, they have a lid, so you can also store beads, buttons or what ever in.
dont have a dog? surely someone you know does! worth an ask!

hope these help someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #449  
Cardstock Collector

Default I'm looking around my room right now and here is what I have...

1- Crystal lite drink mix comes in really cool plastic containers...just rip the lable off and Voila! Nice and clean and mostly see through!

2- Hellmans Mayo now comes in nice plastic jars...put them in the dishwasher to get them good and clean, and the label comes off nicely too!

3- Same thing goes for Jiff peanut butter.

4- I have a plastic shoe bag hanging on the door with my punches in it...since it's plastic, I can see which punches are which!

5- Of course there are the plastic shoe boxes you can find at dollar general, walmart, dollartree...those are always nice!

Hope that helps someone! I love to organize!! I think I organize more than I craft!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 AM   #450  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two weeks ago, my husband brought home a huge solid wood antique desk that was out at the curb for free from a yard sale down the road. It has had quite a life and would probably tell great stories if it could talk. Anyway, I had him pry the top off and put a larger top made out of plywood we had out in the garage from previous projects. It now sits 8.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #451  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlehmerView Post
Two weeks ago, my husband brought home a huge solid wood antique desk that was out at the curb for free from a yard sale down the road. It has had quite a life and would probably tell great stories if it could talk. Anyway, I had him pry the top off and put a larger top made out of plywood we had out in the garage from previous projects. It now sits 8.
curbside finds are always great. Way to do dh for bringing it home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #452  
Compulsive Stamper

I also use the clear hanging shoe organizer in my craft room for punches.however I need more! have way to many punches, but I do use it for my larger ones. i'm an organizer too! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #453  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking very nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharityHandView Post
Here's a cheap ribbon storage solution using cd baskets from dollar tree and pencils for dowel rods.
Very clever! Great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #454  
Rubber Obsessor

I just moved to a bigger apartment and I am making my bedroom closet - which is really big, but set up oddly for a closet - into my scrap storage closet. I had to laugh when I started going through all of my stuff from my other apartment. There were things that I almost threw away because I no longer used them for their original purpose instead I decided to use them in my scrap closet.

1. Hanging sweater shelves that you can get in any Target or Wal-Mart, I am going to use to store cardstock. I mainly use 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock because it is cheaper and I don't have scraps left over when I cut to card size and I don't have an overload of cardstock, otherwise this would fold under the weight.

2. I have been wondering what to do with all of my CD cases with stamps in them. It turns out that I had about 5 cd holders that were housing other things that are perfect for my stamps.

3. I had these tiny plastic milk crates that I got for something else, but the scraps that I had (that were completely unorganized and everywhere) fit perfect when I cut the paper down to 6x6.

I am going to have to get some more shelving for the walls in the closet, but I think I might just have enough for the makings of a good scrap storage closet. I will post pics when I'm all done.

I just had to share that sometime repurposing something is easier and cheaper than buying new. Though I do like to buy new!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #455  
Insane Embellisher

I can't believe this thread is still going-- such great ideas here!

My most recent storage solution? A cheap package of white office file boxes ($13 for 10). I've got a box for each kids' school stuff from this year to scrapbook and we're now putting things in there as they come home. At the end of the year if the scrapbook isn't up to date (ha ha- I'm sure it won't be) I can stack the boxes and start a new one. I know this is a pretty common sense approach but it's been SO nice since I started it-- no more papers stashed here, there, and everywhere (desk, craft room, etc.).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #456  
Crimping Master

I can't believe this thread finally fell off the first page!

I share office and craft space so I'm always trying to make my space tidy yet accessible. Doors and drawers are my greatest ally. I'm also trying to think versatility in case we move (DH is ALWAYS threatening to do that...:lol

My latest idea (might have been here before), is to get a 3 or 4 drawer RTA unit (the type you get from hardware for DIY kitchen or office space) and assemble it with the bottom 2 drawers joined to each other, making a tall drawer for 12 x 12 paper.

Cheaper than "craft specific" types of storage and along side the 2 door cupboard I have from the same range, gives me bench height workspace. Plus, I get the top drawers for dies, stamps, inks and paints.

If I ever get a dedicated craft space, I'm going to join a few of these units together with a sheet of timber and space underneath for a stool as I often work standing up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #457  
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Veteran's Day ladies.

Remember to thank a Veteran or his/her family for all that they did in the past and are doing today to keep our great nation safe and free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #458  
Kookie Creator

Always looking for better ideas so I'm subscribing to this thread!!

Thanks to all you for sharing your ideas!!

Tammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #459  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan buys rolls of electrical tape at the hardware store that come in round plastic cases, similar to the round storage containers sold by SU for buttons, etc. The electrical tape cases are a bit larger in size, but have the same type of snap/seal lid as the SU containers. They're perfect for all kinds of doo-dads, so I "steal" them from Alan as quickly as I can! ... we're to the point that I don't even have to "steal" them from him ... he just hands the container to me when he brings a new roll of tape home.

Ok ... and don't laugh too hard .... BUT! I use the small zippered pouches that Alan's underwear comes in as pouches for supplies like pens, markers, drawing supplies, a stamp pad or two, and even a couple of acrylic blocks when I travel. They're a nice weight of vinyl, clear for those pesky travel inspectors, just the right size, and the zippers on them are excellent!! I think they're Calvin Klein brand .... they're similar to the zippered bags that new blankets and sheets come in, but underwear sized!
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #460  
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

I finally figured out storage for my cuttlebug embossing folders. I bought a cheap is neat coupon organizer. The folders fit in it perfectly. Then for my dies I bought a large accordian file. It has handles on it and several pouches inside. So I put my dies on magnetic sheets that I found at a bargin buy type store. I put my dies on the magnetic sheet and then put the magnetic sheet (with dies on it) inside a sheet protector sleeve then file it in the accordian folder. It's also nice when you want to bring your stuff with you somewhere. I can put pics up if anyone wants to see them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #461  
Matboard Maniac

I love this thread! I store my markers in Lays potatoe chip cans. I covered in dsp and place the cans in a wine rack ( Good Will $1.00) on their sides. I have each of my Stampin UP markers stored by family and some odds and ends markers stored by brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #462  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by picastampView Post
I love this thread! I store my markers in Lays potatoe chip cans. I covered in dsp and place the cans in a wine rack ( Good Will $1.00) on their sides. I have each of my Stampin UP markers stored by family and some odds and ends markers stored by brand.
Cool idea. Thanks for sharing. This is a great thread - I agree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #463  
Crimping Master

We never get the chips in cans (except when we fly - which is not often) as they tend to be more expensive. But now I have an excuse to buy them more often. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #464  
Rubber Obsessor

I LOVE this idea! I have tons of baby wipe boxes that I use to use in my classroom for storing small toys! Now that I no longer teach...I'm going to use them to hold scrapbooking/stamping stuff! thanks for the idea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #465  
Compulsive Stamper

I use the Crystal Lite containers to store my Copic markers in. I bought a divided craft bag at one of the craft stores to put the containers in. So when I want to take my markers with me I just grab my bag and I don't have to worry about them spilling if my bag gets knocked over because the containers all have lids!:-D
Laureen
Psalm 118:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #466  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikster76View Post
Lol, that was the first thing I noticed in your picture and thought "Ah, a crafter after my own heart" hehe

Nikki

Honestly, me too. That is exactly what I thought. Great minds think alike I guess.

I am oh so frugal, I reuse the mason jars for ribbons, buttons, brads, etc. the most expensive item in my stamp room has to be the pampered chef tool organizer, other wise my husband and made my shelves and all that jazz out of scrap wood and such. Oh oh when my sil kid's were babies she would buy the gerber applesauce and would wash them up and give them to where I store glitter and embossing powders, brads, eyelets and such they are the perfect size. The rectangular ones.

For the wood blocks I donated them to the local daycare for blocks. Works like a charm.

Last edited by MissyO; 11-28-2010 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #467  
Cardstock Collector

1. I have recycled cereal boxes--the very large boxes from Sam's/Costco--to use for 12x12 paper storage on shelves. 2. We had some discarded plastic drawer units from which I removed the wheels and put these on top of the desk for 81/2x11 paper. 3. I've also used the drawers from plastic drawer units for stamp storage on shelves.

I'm loving all these ideas! What fun!

Angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #468  
Crimping Master

Thanks to you guys I just sorted DD's homework desk. She has more pencils, crayons and textas than me and so she can find them, carts them to the dining table and tips them out.

Solution: I divided a portion of the hutch on her new Ikea Micke desk with foam core (3 x X shapes) and sorted her colouring things by colour family like I've seen done with copics. She loves it and has been able to keep things tidier than before because putting things away is at her fingertips.

I'm thinking her top drawer might need dividing next. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #469  
Crimping Master

Great ideas! I use various containers, cork board with tea cup hooks and key rings, magnetic spice containers and magentic board. I am always looking for containers to put stuff in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #470  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one I've been using for years, and didn't really think about it fitting in this category, but it sure does! I order a lot of stamping supplies online. When my paper comes, it's usually laying flat in the bottom of the box.

I tape up the sides of the box (packing tape) and store my goo-gows of paper standing up so I can see what I have. It works for either 8.5 x 11 or 12x12. For the smaller paper, there are lots of companies that use this size, PTI for one. The larger USPS flat-rate boxes work well for the 12x12 - fit it perfectly. It works well b/c I can see my paper and the size is just right so the edges don't get damaged either from the box being too small or too large.

It's so cheap (free), that I'm able to have separate boxes for my SU, PTI, Gina K, Neenah and so on. I like that it's all separate and not stacked together.

If you like you can cover your box in wrapping or dp paper to match your room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #471  
Glitter Queen

Amazing ideas!
I can’t believe no one has mentioned the ReStore run by Habitat for Humanity. It is a gold mind! If you can find it at Home Depot chances are you can find it there for pennies on the dollar. Most things are used but there are lots of never used items as Ace, Home Depot, Lowes etc. routinely donate their discontinued stock. They have shelving, cabinets and doors of every size all at unbelievably low prices. Check there for those down spouts and tiles for those craft show coasters. I even found some foam core there once.
My freebies and Cheapies:
My eye doctor was tossing out some contact lens cabinets. I got three of them, each has nine little drawers with removable dividers. They are like those multi drawer small parts things found in the hardware store. Those things hold an amazing amount.
I have four plastic carts all found at thrift shops each for under $5. They are all different brands, have different number and size drawers. They don’t match but they serve me well.
My space is limited so I sorted my flowers by color and size, put them in zip bags, got an over the door shoe things ( new $1 at a yard sale) and put a different a color in each pocket. I hung it from cup hooks on the wall, looks wonderful and takes up no space at all.
Blessings
Bernie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 05:05 AM   #472  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I just posted this in Mission Organisation, then realised that this would probably be a better thread for it. It was an idea in a readers tips part of an e-mail from a craft site:
'We all know that Promarkers or any double tipped pens should be stored flat to keep the colour evenly distributed. Here is a useful tip to keep them tidy, ready to hand and sorted into colours/shades. I have a shoe box, but any sturdy box roughly the depth of a toilet roll inner tube will do. Fit the tubes into the box honeycomb fashion, a dab of glue between will hold them together, then stand the box on its side. You now have plenty of storage for your Promarkers; they stand out just sufficiently proud for you to see the colour on the side. I also store my Sakura pens, colouring pencils and embossing tools in this manner.'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #473  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by amymcgsView Post
I can't believe this thread is still going-- such great ideas here!

My most recent storage solution? A cheap package of white office file boxes ($13 for 10). I've got a box for each kids' school stuff from this year to scrapbook and we're now putting things in there as they come home. At the end of the year if the scrapbook isn't up to date (ha ha- I'm sure it won't be) I can stack the boxes and start a new one. I know this is a pretty common sense approach but it's been SO nice since I started it-- no more papers stashed here, there, and everywhere (desk, craft room, etc.).
This is a great idea! I always seem to have these papers stashed everywhere and this way nothing could get recycled without my seeing it first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #474  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

also if a project from school is to big to keep. snap a photo or 2 with the child. you will remember the project & child at the age it was done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #475  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
also if a project from school is to big to keep. snap a photo or 2 with the child. you will remember the project & child at the age it was done!
That is one of my favorite space saving ideas. My childen are grown, now, but I got tired of all the room their school artwork was taking up. I save 4 or 5 pieces for their album and took photos of the rest. I also took photos of all my DDs stuffed animals, freeing up space.

I just scored a wood cassette tape holder for my ink pads. I'll have DH take out a few of the shelves to make a few shelves double the height for my Pallette Ink spots and my Memento Dew drops.

I just used Goo Gone to clean itty bitty jars that contained jelly to use for embellies...I think I got the idea from this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 AM   #476  
Rubber Obsessor

2 years ago, Target had a display wooden display case for the Christmas CD's. It was to be thrown out at the end of the season. I was able to get it and I store all my stamps and stamp accessories in it. I love it. All of my stamps are in CD cases and on the shelves. My husband cut in half to hang on the wall in my stamp room. I have all my stamps on one half and ink pads and embellishments on the other. I'll try and post pictures if anyone wants to see it.

A lot of retail stores throw away the displays at the end of the season. You have to think outside the box on what else you can use items for. I use to work at a retail store and have gotten quite a bit of items to use in my craft room. You can speak to the manager or someone in charge of setting the displays to see what they do with those items when the season's over. It also helps if you know someone that works at the store.

Thanks for all the ideas in this thread. My craft room is moving next week and these will help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #477  
Compulsive Stamper

I have small space here in my place, so I go vertical. I use ribbon on the clear stamp sets, leaving them in their origional bag, tie a ribbon and hang them on a peg, I can see them, they are accessible and they are out of the way. (And cute to boot!)

Seggie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #478  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I just posted this in Mission Organisation, then realised that this would probably be a better thread for it. It was an idea in a readers tips part of an e-mail from a craft site:
'We all know that Promarkers or any double tipped pens should be stored flat to keep the colour evenly distributed. Here is a useful tip to keep them tidy, ready to hand and sorted into colours/shades. I have a shoe box, but any sturdy box roughly the depth of a toilet roll inner tube will do. Fit the tubes into the box honeycomb fashion, a dab of glue between will hold them together, then stand the box on its side. You now have plenty of storage for your Promarkers; they stand out just sufficiently proud for you to see the colour on the side. I also store my Sakura pens, colouring pencils and embossing tools in this manner.'
I love this idea!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #479  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Nothing I dislike more than spending time matching papers and trimmings for a project then have left overs that I just cant throw away - so instead of tossing them in the scrap pile - I use the plastic protector pockets for 3 ring binders to store the matched pieces together. Then, if I need a card in a hurry or I have time to just sit down and play, I pull the book out and start making cards with the already matched up papers and ribbon pieces. No frustration and no waste.
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 10:25 AM   #480  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I use my Clear Clam Shell boxes (from the Angel Company).
I really like the clear embellisments for ghosting ... but I just won't pay the high price for them. I found that the clamshell boxes from TAC & SU as well as packaging from other products work well with sizzix dies. I just cut everything down for easy storage.

I also used my extra large SU clam shells that I had and put all my buttoms, by color, in them. They stack great. I can see at a glance the color and there is enough room in the box for me to root around when looking for that just right button!
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes