Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #401  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharityHandView Post
Here's a cheap ribbon storage solution using cd baskets from dollar tree and pencils for dowel rods.
I'm impressed!! I've been waiting for some one to post something like this - something that did not require wall space. This is exactly what I need. Thanks for taking the time to post.
~blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #402  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if anyone is looking for paper storage solutions or if it, or something like it has been listed on here before, but a really cheap way to store your paper even up to 12 x 12 or slightly larger is the medium flat shipping boxes. The ones like you get from the PO for priority shipping. I cut them in half but have not decorated them (just a little too lazy or overwhelmed with so much other stuff right now to deal with that detail) but certainly you could with scraps of designed paper or that kind of thing. They sit nicely up like magazine boxes you see in office supply stores, etc. You can cut them so there is an extra little dip in the edge but I just went straight for ease. They have loads of room in them too. I have maybe 6 pkgs of 8 1/2 x 11 paper in each of mine. These work well on desktops, bookshelves, where ever you need to put them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #403  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
I don't know if anyone is looking for paper storage solutions or if it, or something like it has been listed on here before, but a really cheap way to store your paper even up to 12 x 12 or slightly larger is the medium flat shipping boxes. The ones like you get from the PO for priority shipping. I cut them in half but have not decorated them (just a little too lazy or overwhelmed with so much other stuff right now to deal with that detail) but certainly you could with scraps of designed paper or that kind of thing. They sit nicely up like magazine boxes you see in office supply stores, etc. You can cut them so there is an extra little dip in the edge but I just went straight for ease. They have loads of room in them too. I have maybe 6 pkgs of 8 1/2 x 11 paper in each of mine. These work well on desktops, bookshelves, where ever you need to put them.
LOL too funny! I was just coming to ask the best way to store my 12x12 paper. I was so upset the other day trying to organize it. I realized I have so many different types of 12x12 papers so this would be the perfect way to see what I need to use, and save me time. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #404  
Kookie Creator

Default 12 x 12 storage....

I purchased a legal sized rolling file cart from my local office supply store and two boxes of recycled hanging file folders. I cut a number of the folders and taped two together to make 12" deep file folders.

I now have my card stock sorted by colour and stored in individual hanging files. I have my sheets of 8.5 x 11 in a file folder along with my 8x8 sheets. I also have my velvet, acetate sheets, cork sheets etc. all hanging there. I also keep some of my paper pads stored on the bottom shelf.

It is stored under my work bench and when I need paper I just slide it out..select the paper I am looking for and slide it back. Large scraps get put into an Iris scrapbook box and smaller scraps are stored in a basket. I go to the Iris box or the basket before I cut another large sheet.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #405  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissJessicaNicholeView Post
LOL too funny! I was just coming to ask the best way to store my 12x12 paper. I was so upset the other day trying to organize it. I realized I have so many different types of 12x12 papers so this would be the perfect way to see what I need to use, and save me time. Thanks!!
i bought 2drawer filing cabinets from oriental trading compamy(i bought 2 cabinets). i've had them for about 6 mos. very happy. 12x12 was my last storage problem. 1 cabinet is SU. solid cardstock in 1 drawer. desinger paper in other. 2nd cabinet same but non SU papers.
the cabinet are solid made same as white jet cube & other product lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #406  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatrickView Post
I purchased a legal sized rolling file cart from my local office supply store and two boxes of recycled hanging file folders. I cut a number of the folders and taped two together to make 12" deep file folders.

I now have my card stock sorted by colour and stored in individual hanging files. I have my sheets of 8.5 x 11 in a file folder along with my 8x8 sheets. I also have my velvet, acetate sheets, cork sheets etc. all hanging there. I also keep some of my paper pads stored on the bottom shelf.

It is stored under my work bench and when I need paper I just slide it out..select the paper I am looking for and slide it back. Large scraps get put into an Iris scrapbook box and smaller scraps are stored in a basket. I go to the Iris box or the basket before I cut another large sheet.

Cathy
Ohhh! Love that!! My scrap area is in a little corner of the living room so I dont have alot of space. I'm trying to multi task alot of my things to not over take the entire living room LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #407  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, K cups are containers of coffee for use in individual cup coffee makers, such as the Keurig. They're about the size of cream packages in restaurants. A box holds usually 18-25 of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #408  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatrickView Post

Cathy
Which cart did you use? Do you have a picture?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #409  
Kookie Creator

Default Cart

I used the cart here. I think any office supply store will carry it.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #410  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you I will have to look for that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #411  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Not meaning to be a meanie, but I am hoping you mean to use recycled ones that have already been mailed, or similar ones that are not from the US Postal Service. The ones that they give away are for mail use only - those of us who use them regularly really apprecite the fact that the USPS gives them to us for that purpose. If people start taking them to use for non-postal reasons, they will quit giving them away. PLEASE don't abuse this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #412  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
Not meaning to be a meanie, but I am hoping you mean to use recycled ones that have already been mailed, or similar ones that are not from the US Postal Service. The ones that they give away are for mail use only - those of us who use them regularly really apprecite the fact that the USPS gives them to us for that purpose. If people start taking them to use for non-postal reasons, they will quit giving them away. PLEASE don't abuse this!
Not mean, but this is a recycle/reuse site so I assumed it would be accepted but no problems - yes they are recycled ones for sure. Cat litter boxes once thoroughly cleared of their contents work well too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #413  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store mine is drawers! there are pictures of how I store my flowers HERE on my blog!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by stampnkatView Post
All the great ideas. Thanks so much for sharing. But what about all the primas?? I keep putting and reorganizing the packages of flowers. I just don't know what to do with them. Any ideas?? Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #414  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by amymcgsView Post
I'm frugal. VERY frugal. I don't have $$ to spend on fancy organizers and plastic color-coordinating boxes, so I make due with what I have or what I can get super-cheap. I know I'm not the only one.... so, c'mon, please share your free or nearly-free craft organizing ideas with me!

Some of mine:

-- I have a box (that once held green bean cans) cut down to make a magazine holder.
-- I use "x" pencil holder boxes that I bought a while back in the Target Dollar Spot for sorting colored pencils.
-- I use ziplock bags to sort everything from paper scraps to my own page "kits"--- elements/photos that I know will eventually belong together on a page.
-- After reading the thread on organizing ribbon, I'm going to raid my stash of mason jars and come up with a new storage system for my ribbon. Currently, it's stuffed into shoeboxes.

Those are just a few of my free/cheap storage ideas.... what do YOU use?
Buy plastic shoe boxes for card/envelope storage. when you buy any bedding items and it comes in a zippered bag, put holes in all the sides and fill bag with ribbon pulling end thru one of the holes and you'll have a very "frugal" ribbon holder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #415  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Baby Food jars

Sorry if this has already been suggested. I have decided to use baby food jars for embelishmestments that don't have a container. These can easily be placed in a shelf and are clear so you can see what you have. I am just going to spray paint the lids and then fill them. I bet if you don't have a baby you know someone that does willing to save them for you. HTH, Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #416  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

... and if you need more baby food jars. just announce to an elementary school. you will soon have more than you ever wanted.
i like the little plastic containers the baby food comes in-no breakage and you can stack them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #417  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nina LeeView Post
Sorry if this has already been suggested. I have decided to use baby food jars for embelishmestments that don't have a container. These can easily be placed in a shelf and are clear so you can see what you have. I am just going to spray paint the lids and then fill them. I bet if you don't have a baby you know someone that does willing to save them for you. HTH, Nina
I do this too! It works amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #418  
Cardstock Collector

I read these ideas really fast so forgive me if I repeat any. I tend to be able to have traditional store bought things but it's because I get them as gifts. However, one thing I like to do for storage is cut down different boxes, I like cereal and shoe boxes best, then I cover them in designer paper and embellishments. They are so pretty to look at! The worst part is I never seem to have boxes like that when I need them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #419  
Stazon Splitcoast

Heather - can't help you with the cereal boxes but check out your local shoe stores for shoe boxes. Many will give them to you if you ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #420  
Insane Embellisher

Subbing. Thanks, everyone, for such great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 AM   #421  
Die Cut Diva

Regarding the shoe boxes. Places like Payless always have tons of boxes and are more than happy to share them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #422  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am in the process of reclaiming my craft cave and making it into something that I can use. I need some creative storage and we have a couple of Shoe Shows near me so I'm going to hit the up soon. I really need to decide how many I need before I go and clean them out. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 04:21 AM   #423  
Die Cut Diva

How many you need depends on how much "stuff" you have to store. I do suggest that you avoid Sketchers boxes and any other brands that have a clam shell like lid. Better to get lids that come all the way off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #424  
Stazon Splitcoast

Louise,

Thanks for the tip about the lids. And I have WAY TOOOOO much stuff. I'm in the process of trying to go through it a bit at a time so this may take a while. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #425  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by sempermomView Post
i like using the paint pads for stamp scrubbies too

you can find them in the painting supplies isle, they are flat white scruffy looking square pads, i think thier package will say something about using to paint trim. you get 2 in a pack for like around 3 or 5 bucks. they look just like the pads in the expensive stamp scrubber trays !!!
I use this idea ..also go to the "baby" section at Walmart or Family dollar and get one of those travel baby wipe carriers for a buck and store your pads in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #426  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great ideas ladies for the scrubbies, just remember to cut the curly part of the pads off. Here's a recipe (I haven't tried it yet but found it on another site a while back) for cleaner/conditioner for your stamps

1c distilled water (approx 1.50 pr gallon - 24 recipes worth)
1T Baby Magic baby wash (approx 3 per 16 - 24 oz which is more than 1T)
2T rose water from the health food store (no idea how much this part is but still)

Mix and wala you have less expensive cleaner - put it in a pretty container & nice gifts for your stamping friends too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #427  
Compulsive Stamper

what great ideas!! i'll be putting many of them to use.
my own ideas to share:
-i bought pegboard from Home Depot for less than $5 and use it for lots of tools and things.
-ribbon storage-use cereal box tops with 3 slits cut out (like the expensive ribbon storage solution) a hole punched in the top and put on a loose leaf ring. i separate colors and hang them on hooks i place directly in my wall. for longer pieces, i just use the entire box top and wrap the ribbon around it, cut a slit in it to hold the end, punch a hole in the top and hang on a loose-leaf ring. the 3rd place i keep ribbon is on its spool speared with a dowel, hanging under my craft table (i attach with twill tape -scrap pieces from work-to little eye hooks speared into my table from the underneath side)
-to store my colored pencils i used toilet paper rolls, one for each color, wrapped them with colored papers, stood them up in an empty kleenex box for stability and i think i put a rubber band around them to hold them together, although i may have used a little glue too.
--i use the stampin up cases to hold project pieces until i can get back to them, stamped images from swaps, unfinished cards, bits of ribbon too small to wind on the cereal box tops, die-cuts i've made from my cricut that i use for figuring out what size i need to use (keeps me from screwing up on scraps i have that are one-of-a-kind) etc--i basically use these for whatever will fit in them, and thats lots of things...
--i use EZMount for my stamps and store them in CD cases, that's why i can use the cases like i do in the above idea. i clean my stamps with alcohol free baby wipes that i get at the dollar store.
--WalMart has three drawer cubes that i use for my remaining wood mounted stamps, ink pads (until i can find a cassette holder like others have suggested) and my embossing powders.
--i buy scraps of paper by the pound, separate them out by color and size, then stand them up in an empty kleenex box or the like cut at an angle down toward the front for the little pieces to see out, making it easy to pick the right color tone and size for my project.
--got 2 little stacking cubes from the dollar store to store my cards, using pieces cut from cereal boxes to separate them out into different occasions. one cube for cards, one for envelopes i make for them.
--use old calendars to make envelopes for my cards.
--use return envelopes from junk mail to make: cards, background pieces for cards( the security ones), bound together made a nice receipt holder for the year (used my bind-it-all for that project).
--took the mirrored doors off my closet, put up a tension rod, used nice curtain rings and a beautiful blue cloth shower curtain....much easier access and i don't always have to see myself in the mirror!
--i get different sized plastic baggies by the tons at work (they get tossed if i don't take them) and i store my paper scraps in them-by color-then i stand them up in a kleenex box to flip thru as needed.
whew! that's all i can think of right now--getting a headache.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #428  
Glitter Queen

my husband cut 4" pvc pipe in half glued cardstock to the ends and screwed them to my cupboard for ribbon storage. It works great.
Attached Thumbnails
What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-dsc09333.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #429  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANGEL7View Post
my husband cut 4" pvc pipe in half glued cardstock to the ends and screwed them to my cupboard for ribbon storage. It works great.
Cool idea!!! I wish I had cupboards to do that with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #430  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Great ideas ladies for the scrubbies, just remember to cut the curly part of the pads off. Here's a recipe (I haven't tried it yet but found it on another site a while back) for cleaner/conditioner for your stamps

1c distilled water (approx 1.50 pr gallon - 24 recipes worth)
1T Baby Magic baby wash (approx 3 per 16 - 24 oz which is more than 1T)
2T rose water from the health food store (no idea how much this part is but still)

Mix and wala you have less expensive cleaner - put it in a pretty container & nice gifts for your stamping friends too.

I make my own cleaner but I don't think the recipe calls for rose water. Actually mine calls for glycerine now that I think about it.

~With GOD all things are possible ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #431  
Stazon Splitcoast

Charlotte,

I'm sure there are several recipes floating around out there. Not sure how any rate against the others (whether any 1 is better than any other), but it was 1 I found a while back.

Thanks for sharing though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 03:34 AM   #432  
Polyshrink Goddess

Donna,

There are alot of different recipes out there, aren't there? LOL!! I just use the one with glyercine because it was the 1st recipe I had seen. I was amazed that someone actually figured out how to make their own cleaner. ;) I always wonder why I can't ever think of something on my own. :rolleyes:

~With GOD all things are possible ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #433  
Inking Addict

subbing. These ideas are really useful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #434  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFA_CanalView Post
subbing. These ideas are really useful!
You're right. This is a wonderful thread to find some great storage solutions along with other ideas as well. SCS ladies are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #435  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANGEL7View Post
oooh love that! i wish i were "handy" and had a big space with cupboards too! (sigh) someday...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #436  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by WholeLottaStampinGoinOnView Post
I make my own cleaner but I don't think the recipe calls for rose water. Actually mine calls for glycerine now that I think about it.
I think at one time people were looking to duplicate the Stampin' Up Stampin' Mist cleaner. It used to be rose-scented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #437  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by veggiegirlRDView Post
oooh love that! i wish i were "handy" and had a big space with cupboards too! (sigh) someday...
I bought rain gutter and two of the ends from Lowes. Was about 10.00 for a 10 foot section and the two end pieces. I only used 3 feet for now, but have enough to make 2 more 'shelves'. I currently don't have a lot of ribbon, so only put up one 3 foot section for now.
Attached Thumbnails
What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-pict1382.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #438  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinMomentsView Post
I bought rain gutter and two of the ends from Lowes. Was about 10.00 for a 10 foot section and the two end pieces. I only used 3 feet for now, but have enough to make 2 more 'shelves'. I currently don't have a lot of ribbon, so only put up one 3 foot section for now.
ohhh that is a great idea! this is the best thread ever!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #439  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm trying to figure out some way to store all the borders I'm going to get in my border swap I just started. I do some scrapping & some card making & they will work for either but I just am not sure how to store them. Anyone have any suggestions? And if you would like to join my swap it's in my siggy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #440  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out some way to store all the borders I'm going to get in my border swap I just started. I do some scrapping & some card making & they will work for either but I just am not sure how to store them. Anyone have any suggestions? And if you would like to join my swap it's in my siggy.
I have prepunched borders in a tall, skinny jar (like a spaghetti keeper). Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-border-jar.jpg  

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes