Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Default Unmounting Stamp/Organization Headache!!!

Been working on unmounting the rest of my stamps, and the past two days have done nothing but give me a headache! I used the two glues (tacky glue and then the Alene's Tack It Over and Over) on my stamps yesterday. The ones that had foam backings (some cannot be removed no matter what I have tried!) and the foam stamps did not do right. The dried glue started peeling off in bits when I removed them from the cd case. Evidently, they did not dry or cure right. It may be that the two layers of glue won't work on foam; just on rubber. Anyway, I peeled the glue off all the foam stamps and foam backed stamps today, and reapplied the ATIO&O alone tonight. I cannot fault the person who told me about the two glues, as she only mentioned using it on the rubber stamp itself, and on those, it worked fine! So we'll see if the ATIO&O alone will work.
The next mess I had was when I tried to soak two rubber stamps in goo gone to loosen up the backing on the stamps. (BAD IDEA!!!) I think I ruined the two stamps; (I fell asleep and they were in there several hours) they curled up. Through trial and error, I found that the Rub & Remove Eraser made for adhesives and rub-ons works great for removing leftover pieces on the back of rubber stamps. I just had to be careful with it. Shame I couldn't have discovered that before I tried the goo gone. Still trying to salvage the messed up stamps, put the Tack It O&O on it; we'll see. Crossing my fingers that it works on the foam stamps too! So hope it all does o.k., as I am so ready to be done with that part of it!!! My fingers are sore, tired of trying to get the sticky glue off of me, and I have a headache! Thanks for listening to me vent. I think from now on I am sticking with clear stamps! (or at least unmounted!) How are all of your unmounting projects going? Thanks for all the input and advice you all have shared!

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 11-29-2010 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

Yeah, Goo Gone says not to use it on rubber. I admit to using it on occasion but have quickly washed and washed and washed...to remove the goo gone completely.

I have also tried WD40 to remove sticky stuff...it works better than goo gone, at least for me. It also makes the rubber curl if you leave it on for very long. But after thorough washing and letting it sit for a while, I was able to put my stamps on the EZ mount.

BTW, I have never liked the TIO&O at all. Always sticky, leaves residue behind, and leaves my hands perpetually sticky. Yuck! EZMounted stamps are heavenly!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the ones I decided to try, I used EZ mount. I didn't like any of the 2 way glues I found.

Fortunately for me, the ones I unmounted were $1 Studio G stamps (so I could have them in sets). I refuse to unmount my good WM stamps (PSX, etc). It's just not worth the time and effort IMHO. I love my wood mount stamps and maybe one day I can display them. I'd need to buy a warehouse the size of Michaels if I keep going the rate that I'm at...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I tried to upload an attachment. Hopefully it worked. It's a tutorial I put together when I finally figured out a method and process that I liked for unmounting stamp sets. It works great. I've gone bonkers and have already unmounted about a hundred sets. My SU demo keeps shaking her head when I come back and order more DVD cases.

I've also since created a label inspired by the SU labels for the outside of the boxes. I really need to take a picture of that. I just use MSWord to create the labels and print from there.

Hope this tutorial uploaded correctly and that the information is helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Unmounting Stamps Tutorial.pdf (1.22 MB, 550 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

That is an awesome pdf BTW. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for the PDF tutorial. I am going to attempt to unmount my SU stamps. I need the space to buy more. LOL

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Default Unmounting Stamps

Thank you so much for the tutorial, I am going to start this big project after Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Wow, thank you! That is an awesome tutorial. Wish I had thought to glue the stamp sticker to the foam. Thank you for making that and sharing it; I know it had to take quite a bit of time to make.
I think I was fortunate in that the two stamps I thought I had ruined, flattened out a great deal and seemed to stick just fine. Looks like they will stamp fine also!
I had a short fit of panic this afternoon, when I realized I was missing some of my cat stamps. Not my precious cat stamps!!! I searched and found where I had put them, so I had some more to apply the Aleene's TIO&O to, but I'm not complaining. I'm just so glad I found them. So hopefully, tomorrow night, all stamps will be totally unmounted and glued. I do have two sets of Stamping Up stamps that I adore and refuse to unmount. I keep them all together in the clam shells they came in.
I opted for the glue for several reasons; #1 was the cost, and #2 was where I read that the ezmount reacted with the cd cases and #3 was the speed of getting it done. I also like that I can reapply more if it loses it's stickiness. I have to admit, I hated being a sticky mess afterward, but I know I'll be so happy when it is all done! Now I have an awesome pile of wood blocks to make something with later on.
I'm still in the process of organizing my room.

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 11-30-2010 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Every time I think I am finished with this project, it suprises me. While I was stamping the paper inserts to go into the cd cases of the stamps, I discovered a whole cd of stamps that hadn't dried right, and were peeling glue bits off, so I reglued all of those tonight, and I had one stamp in another case that didn't glue right, so redid it also. I did manage to make the stamped paper inserts for all of the cases though, so now I can see what's in each case. It was hard to tell with the word or phrases stamps, just exactly what they said, so now I'll be able to quickly tell. Gave me a good refresher on what stamps I have
I am missing two cat stamps and a "handmade by" stamp. I can live without the handmade by stamp with no problem. Hope i find the two cat ones though. I searched the internet looking for them with no luck whatsoever. I did find another cat stamp I liked though for a cheap price, and it is already unmounted! Hopefully, I will come across them when I am reorganizing in my craft room. I can't imagine where they went!
Hope you all are having a blessed day; thanks for listening to my rambling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the great tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I'm glad to see the tutorial is coming in helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for a great tutorial. My stamps and my wood blocks are sticky after I unmount them, is there any fast way to clean the blocks up, I have a four year old granson that is waiting on the building blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I have a video on youtube about doing this.

My stamps are fine- I unmounted all of my stamps, then stuck the clear sticky image onto the foam. Then I applied Alene's Tack it over-and-over on the clear image. The trick is to let them cure for 24 hours. When you peel them off of the CD case of block, be careful because if the stickiness is too sticky, then you might rip the foam a bit.

To fix if the stamp is too sticky- then just tap your finger on the sticky part a few times, just to release some of it.

YouTube - Super Easy Unmounting Wooden Stamps here's the video.

~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckMagicView Post
Thanks for a great tutorial. My stamps and my wood blocks are sticky after I unmount them, is there any fast way to clean the blocks up, I have a four year old granson that is waiting on the building blocks.
I kept myself from going there. I got rid of the blocks before I changed my mind. When I did have fleeting thoughts of insanity of possibly cleaning all of those blocks, I was thinking of soaking them in warm dishwater or using orange oil. Using UnDo in that volume would just be too pricey IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

my husband is thinking of sanding the sticky part of , I told him that was his baby, I want to keep a few of the clam shells but as far as I was concerned the Blocks could burn and GS would have to wait on some building blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes