Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage for shapes (punch-outs, chipboard,etc)

I am very new to this site and have just been reunited with my scrapbooking/card making supplies. It has been many years. I am steadily organizing my new space and one thing I don't know what to do with are my cut out/punch outs etc. What is the best way to oraganize and store them. If there is another thread regarding this, please send me in the right direction. Feedback is greatly appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

small pcs i store in plastic ice cube trays. 2 trays about a dollar. at walmart.
large pcs stacked drawers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

JoAnn has this Cropper Hopper photo storage case that I really like. It has 12 individual little cases inside a larger storage case. You can sort things and keep them together at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michael's has bins for 'beading'. Perfect size for most items cut from punches, etc. Cost is @ $3.00 and has 12-15 individual spaces. Deep enough to add a little label at the top of each section. No more hunting for the item. Send me a private message if you'd like to see a picture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I store my chipboard in Iris photocase boxes. You can see it here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I have the jetmax cubes. I use the drawer dividers to sort out my chipboard. The spaces are about 3" square. Larger pieces are in drawer by themselves. I don't have enough to worry about sorting out the large ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I store my punched out shapes, 1-2 sets of chipboard alphas (don't have many chipboard shapes), stamped images, embossed pieces (basically anything flat and made of paper that is not ribbon, metal or blank scrap paper) in plastic sleeves in a 3" 3-ring binder. I use 8 1/2 x 11" page protectors, business card holders, baseball card holders, and 4" x 6" clear photo holders to sort my shapes. It keeps everything flat, unbent and I can easily flip through to find a card embellishment. I used to keep stickers in the same binder, but it got too bulky, so now I keep stickers in their packaging in a 6"x 13" accordian style plastic envelope.

I like to experiment a lot with tools/stamps/techniques and often end up with a pile of small pieces of paper all over my craft desk. They'd pile up and I would often scramble for something to hold my paper pieces. It was driving me crazy. I recently started cleaning up my space and pulled out the binder to put them "away." It's such a relief not to have that pile. Also, I don't have to dump out a pile or sort through it because it is already presorted. I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GdoreenView Post
I store my punched out shapes, 1-2 sets of chipboard alphas (don't have many chipboard shapes), stamped images, embossed pieces (basically anything flat and made of paper that is not ribbon, metal or blank scrap paper) in plastic sleeves in a 3" 3-ring binder. I use 8 1/2 x 11" page protectors, business card holders, baseball card holders, and 4" x 6" clear photo holders to sort my shapes. It keeps everything flat, unbent and I can easily flip through to find a card embellishment. I used to keep stickers in the same binder, but it got too bulky, so now I keep stickers in their packaging in a 6"x 13" accordian style plastic envelope.

I like to experiment a lot with tools/stamps/techniques and often end up with a pile of small pieces of paper all over my craft desk. They'd pile up and I would often scramble for something to hold my paper pieces. It was driving me crazy. I recently started cleaning up my space and pulled out the binder to put them "away." It's such a relief not to have that pile. Also, I don't have to dump out a pile or sort through it because it is already presorted. I love it.
I agree with this method - so easy to find your punchouts/cutouts, and so easy and inexpensive to find the "pages"! I use this method to organize templates and stencils, too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Default shapes

What a great idea! I use a notebook to hold my embossing folders and dies. I don't know why I didn't think of one for my 'excess' cuts! So next time I'm out and about, I'll shop at wally world for what ever sleeves they have. Then I'll go to my lss, and then Staples. And if necessary I'll go to the card collecting store that is right beside Michaels. Thanks for sharing!
Jess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clear egg cartons work as well.
You can see what is inside and they are free when you buy eggs.
They can be used for brads, dimensionals, punch cut outs and other stuff.
Irene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Here is how I store my embellishments. Also lots of other storage and organizing ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I agree with this method - so easy to find your punchouts/cutouts, and so easy and inexpensive to find the "pages"! I use this method to organize templates and stencils, too.
Yeah, i do too for my plastic mylar templates. Great minds think alike

For my brass stencils I use a small 4"x6" photo album. I find it's easier to flip through since they are all the same weight, material and relative size.

Oh, and I also find that the sleeves of baseball card holders are perfect for small sizzllit dies and cuttlebug dies. I was able to store on four baseball card holder pages an entire box of sizzlits. Works really well.

I'm a big proponent of storing flat items horizontally in binders. I stored my UMs that way until I realized the limitation of page protectors (and i thought they were invincible haha!). I like my page protectors so much that I've even tried to make my own custom pockets with a hotknife-- but it was kindof tricky.

I continue to experiment with organization solutions. I find that as my collection grows and my space gets more limited, my organizational style changes over time. Hey, it's part of the creative process, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzyjess49View Post
What a great idea! I use a notebook to hold my embossing folders and dies. I don't know why I didn't think of one for my 'excess' cuts! So next time I'm out and about, I'll shop at wally world for what ever sleeves they have. Then I'll go to my lss, and then Staples. And if necessary I'll go to the card collecting store that is right beside Michaels. Thanks for sharing!
Jess
You know if you want to save some $$, a lot of the baseball card sleeves are sold at dollar stores in packs of 10. Sometimes you may get lucky with finding business card sleeves at the dollar store or another discount store, but an office supply store might be a better bet for that. Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizLuceroView Post
Here is how I store my embellishments. Also lots of other storage and organizing ideas.
Wow, talk about organized! How inspiring. I see that you do the same thing as me with sizzlit storage. Saves a ton of space and is easier to get to the dies, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GdoreenView Post
For my brass stencils I use a small 4"x6" photo album. I find it's easier to flip through since they are all the same weight, material and relative size.

Oh, and I also find that the sleeves of baseball card holders are perfect for small sizzllit dies and cuttlebug dies. I was able to store on four baseball card holder pages an entire box of sizzlits. Works really well.

I'm a big proponent of storing flat items horizontally in binders.
I love your idea of the 4x6 album for the brass stencils, my nestabilities would probably fit in those too!?
I use baseball card clear pages for my $1 clear stamps- they slide right in and take up virtually no space. The bigger sets of clear go into larger pages.
Thanks for the creative ideas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

It's funny, when I first started storing my Sizzlits and other things in binders I thought I had a great idea. Later I found out other people did this too and my idea wasn't so original after all. I guess it's true what they say "Great minds think alike". :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEnmystampsView Post
I love your idea of the 4x6 album for the brass stencils, my nestabilities would probably fit in those too!?
I use baseball card clear pages for my $1 clear stamps- they slide right in and take up virtually no space. The bigger sets of clear go into larger pages.
Thanks for the creative ideas!!
Thanks. I'm glad to share. I get so many ideas from others on here. You got me thinking so I pulled out a couple of nestabilities sets to see. I think they might fit depending on which sets you have. I have the petite ovals, scalloped ovals, large petite circles and scalloped circles, and the labels 3 and they seem to fit, although a bit snug, in there.

To give you another option, my favorite way to store these is-- magnetic photo sleeves; the kind meant for 4" x 6" refrigerator doors. If the set is a little larger than 4 x 6" It still sticks well. I purchased several from Christmas Tree shops-- for $1 and two come inside (.50 cents a set, not bad). I stick my nesties to the magnetic side and I find that they stay stuck until I want to remove them. Also I can keep them standing up in a CD holder and can flip through them to get to the one I want (they are relatively the same size as my cuttlebug folders, so I store them similarly). If you want added stability, you can add a piece of cardstock or a photo even in the sleeve part, but I find that I don't even need that.

I've also read somewhere on here of individuals cutting up magnetic vent covers to store their nesties. I bought one but it was thinner than the photo sleeve storage. I'm sure I'll figure out some way to use that. I've also read of others using magnetic tape and affixing to the inside of CD cases to store their nesties. I don't have all the nesties sets (though sometimes I wish I did) so I don't know if there are some that are larger than these storage solutions. I guess that's why my orgnizational style keeps changing-- more product to store with different configurations hehe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

hi, i too am new to this site , but, punch outs and cricut cutouts. i use the clear box my cartiage books come in. ive tried differant cuts to open them . like on right side and or the top ,when im taking that cover off . the one down the middle i find for me to be the best .. just pop extra small stuff in and store .i like i can see it too ... try n to be green in every way .. . ,p.s. i for extra teeny tiny cut outs, i use the clear cover, my cuttlebug dry embossers come in ,its all about how you open these treasures. hope it helps .yours in stamping anne marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default storage ideas

I use tackle boxes for storage. They have lots of compartments for little things and also large compartments for punches. they are much cheaper than craft boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I have LOTS of punches and punchies (the punched-out bits). I store the punchies in hardware parts cabinets (the ones with the little drawers). If you do Sizzix dies or larger punches, get a box with small and large drawers. I take a punchie and tape it to the front of the drawer or label the drawer with my labelmaker. If you make drawer dividers with cardstock, you can get two different kinds of punchies in a single drawer.

Cindy/CA
Reply With Quote Likes