Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #41  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely AWESOME! I had a spare one and this will work great!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #42  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahj60View Post
If you leave the new punches "unlocked" they will hook over the curtain rods/bygel rails.

Sarah
Well, golly! Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks!

www.emilybradley.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #43  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmcavanaughView Post
Well I like the IKEA Bygel rail system but I do not have an IKEA in Colorado. On a recent trip to California I persuaded my husband to take me to an IKEA and I bought 5 rails. I put them in my carry on luggage because I did not have any checked bags. Long story short I guess I looked like a terrorist because they wouldn't let me through security with them. It was a huge ordeal so I told them just to throw them away. :( SO if any happy stamper wants to buy me some more (of course I would reimburse you for them and shipping and give you something else I have) and ship them to me (IKEA won't ship those for some reason) I would be more than delighted (forever indebted would be an understatement).

Let me know.

Rebecca

Rebecca, let me see what I can do. Can't promise, but I'll give it a whirl. There is an IKEA about an hour from me and I've been wanting these rails myself.....shoot me a PM with your address. What size do you want? Not for sure, but I think there are 2 sizes.
TSA can be such a problem....we all pay the price for the stupid jerks these days. I'm waiting for the ban on undies!
Enjoy your weekend and stay warm.
I'll let you know if I can get them 'soon'.
Diana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

on rails-you need to dust.
i hate to dust
so mine are in drawers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #45  
Crimping Master

Punches are probably my favorite crafting tool, behind stamps themselves. I've been through a few storage methods for them, both in small spaces and dedicated craft areas over the years. I'm not at all Type A, so storage/organization has to be really easy and intuitive for me to successfully use it. I don't have any pictures to share right now, so I'll do my best to describe my set-ups and why they did or didn't work.
  1. Small Shelves: I built a craft desk with those white closet organizers/shelves from Target and Home Depot and stored my large punches on the small shelves above my work surface. It looked nice, but didn't work because I kept knocking punches off the shelves while rummaging. My desk was often cluttered with punches because putting them back was a pain.
  2. Plastic Drawers: I'm happy keeping my small punches in plastic drawers, but have found that larger punches (SU/EK Success, Marvy Clever Lever, etc) are just too heavy for most plastic. The drawer units tip over when you pull them out or bow over time from the weight. I put just about everything except punches, stamps, and paper in plastic drawers.
  3. Wire Pantry Rack: With my desk nestled into a corner, I installed a wire pantry rack with baskets and shelves on the wall next to the main work surface so it would be easily accessible. It was so easy that I found myself using punches all the time and putting them back almost immediately. On the downside, border punches didn't fit well and small punches tended to get lost.
  4. Small Bins on Shelves: With a kitchen island work space, I use about a dozen of Target's small ITSO bins and narrow trays on shelves to store all of my punches (as well as CD cases of stamps, packages of clear stamps, background stamps, and pre-folded card bases). They're sturdier than most plastic drawers and more portable. I either set an entire bin on my desk or slide it off the shelf like a drawer to grab the one I want. It's definitely neater looking than the wire pantry rack, although not quite as handy.
If you have wall space adjacent to your desk and use your punches frequently, I highly recommend a wire pantry organizer or some other open, shallow shelving with a lip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

I just have mine in a very large, heavy basket someone gave me. They are right next to my craft table and I love that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
I use "non Ikea" curtain rods affixed to the front of my shelving unit. I don't have enough wall space, so I improvised.
Great idea! I've completely run out of wall room; think I'll try this next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

A friend of mine just recently told me that she used heavy duty Velcro she bought at Lowe's to hold hers to the wall and it was working really well for her. She did have to stick a small amount of the Velcro to each punch but she said it didn't interfere with the operation of the punch at all. I am still thinking about it for my storage. I am torn between do I want them out or do I like them in my plastic tub.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

ck out pictures in my gallery - love them on the rails - I use them more since they are all visible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
Glue Dots????? big ones....they hold everything else...or self stick velcro might work and you can take the sticky off the door when/if you move .
glue dots now how does that work?
and doyou have a picture?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
Yep, a CD rack works great for punches. That's what I use.
I combed all 3 thrift shops in my town plus 7 more in other towns trying to find the type of CD rack your picture showed to no avail.
BUT I did find a small one of a different type at my local Goodwill and later a friend gave one almost like it for free. Attached you will see what changes DH and I made. I still don't have enough room for all my punches. If you look at the top of the photos you will see punches on a table ---in the clear ITSO bin from target are all my EK locking punches(one more on the way) and in the red ITSO bin are all the little punches that won't fit on a rack anyway...scattered in front are the HUGE snowflake and heart punches that my DD gave me as well as the corner adorner punches that all have guides. I just went to stamp club Friday night and ordered 4 more punches so I have no idea where I am going to put them.
In the photos: the taller rack,,,,one dowel and one flat board that was angled. We bought vinyl gutter cover, cut off the fastener part, hooked the curved lip over the dowel then went under the angled board, cut to size and used an industrial strength stapler to fasten it. So now there is no opening, and punches of any size will fit....The shorter rack, there is one dowel and the board in front is flat...so I stuck the tails of large punches over the dowel but set the front of them on the flat board. Don't know if it shows but we took the cutoff flat part of the gutter and I used sticky strip to adhere it to the board so the punches rest up against the tiny raised line....it keeps them from sliding off the front. I filled it with punches and then picked it up to move and no punches fell.
So0000000000---I am still on the lookout for a 3 dowel CD rack but for now this is better than the 3 iris carts I had full of them....
Attached Thumbnails
STORAGE FOR PUNCHES-punches-002.jpg   STORAGE FOR PUNCHES-punches-004.jpg  

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Wow c-mouse, I think you win for most punches, LOL~ That's quite a collection to be sure.

Another thing I do is to keep relevant holiday punches out on my rails and put the others away in a drawer. So right now I have out all my Valentine's Day punches. MS border punches, hearts, Cupid, etc. All my Christmas punches like snowflakes, holly border, and others are in a drawer waiting until I start work on Christmas cards again to bring them out.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

I really want to thank everyone who has shared their pictures and ideas on how they store their punches. (and Stamps)

I started out the past few years with my punches in the clear drawers. When I had my "people" over, I could just grab a drawer and bring it out to the area we were working in. It was pretty easy enough... then of course, after getting more and more punches, more and more drawers, and even if I was working on a project in my room, I found myself digging through the drawers to find the one I wanted and then never getting them back into the drawers... or just never using them because they were put away and out of sight.

Well, I made my way up to Portland, Oregon and to the Ikea there. It's a 5 hour drive one way for me. (my daughter lives in Salem, about 1 hour from Portland, so my friend and I stayed there)... My Goodness, you gals... You never said anything about them giving you a "map" to get around the store!!!!! Boy, they have some FUN stuff there!!!

I got 8 of the smaller size rails, some S hooks, two different size baskets, and a metal pail (that went with another system, but I think I can make it work) They did have some plastic pails that go on the rails, but I'm more of a country gal style, so the metal pails was more my thing.

Now.... it's going to be putting it all together. I like the idea of putting them on beadboard, then hanging that on the wall. Being so visual, I think I'll like the punches out where I can see them....

So, Keep the ideas coming... I'm going to photo journal my "blooming" from mess to "gee, I know where that's at....lol..lol It's going to be an adventure....

Faith

Last edited by it'smefaith; 01-25-2010 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizLuceroView Post
I use an over the door shoe holder for my punches but I have a problem. My holder is just about the full length of the door. Every time I open or close the door the holder "crashes" against the door. I know it needs to be fastened down somehow but I don't know how to do this. I rent so that leaves out a lot of "permanent" type solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
How about using some of that blue adhesive stuff that you can use to hang posters? It's like a puddy, but is very removable. I think it's made by Dak.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #55  
Glitter Guru

Location: Squinting in the glow of the neighbor's sodium-vapor security light
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
The flat SU punches fit PERFECTLY in the baskets that Ikea sells to hang off the Bygel rods. 6 border punches fit in one basket.
That is fabulous! I could put one of those on my rack that my DH built. However, that would mean that I would have to return to IKEA. I may be tarred and feathered for saying this, but I seriously dislike IKEA. Too crowded, too hard to get around and find anything.

Penny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by pblair38View Post
That is fabulous! I could put one of those on my rack that my DH built. However, that would mean that I would have to return to IKEA. I may be tarred and feathered for saying this, but I seriously dislike IKEA. Too crowded, too hard to get around and find anything.

Penny
I love IKEA, but only at about 10 a.m. on weekday mornings. I went yesterday, and there was hardly anyone there.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

When I lived in Calgary I was only 10 minutes away from IKEA and I practically lived there (furnished my whole condo from the AS IS section). Boy do I wish I were near one now that I've discovered this wonderful but space challenging hobby.

I only have a few punches, maybe a dozen. Most are minis that fit in a tiny desktop organizer drawer. My 3-4 large McGill stamps sit on the top shelf of a "media" bookcase. It's only six inches deep and designed to hold cd's, but my big punches, cricut, jukebox, cricut cartridges, CTMH stamp pad & marker towers, etc fit on it beautifully. My worktop is a 2.5 x 8 ft 3" thick butcher block baker's table, so it is pretty sturdy. The media bookcase, a regular sized bookcase, Cropper Hoppers, MS paper boxes, etc all sit on top of the back edges of the work surface and rolling plastic carts are underneath. When you are willing to think outside the box, it's amazing what can work for you. I'm sure the makers of curtain rods and rain gutters would be surprised to see how their products have been used, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #58  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To those who have attached thumbnail photos of your storage solutions for punches - thanks! that really helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

I have rarely used punches in plastic boxes.
However, most of mine are in sturdy over-the-door shoe pocket organizers. I have two that are full of the big and medium punches. For some reason, our townhouse's doors are thicker than the hangers that the shoe organizers come with. I was puzzled until I figured out this solution :p
I have one on the front of the door and one on the back. I took off the hook over-the-door parts and used ZIP TIES to whip the two organizers together, and the ties lay flat enough on the top of the door to allow it to shut just fine. I hope this makes sense, I don't have photos yet. Works GREAT.
My hand held (pliers looking) and small punches are in another sturdy canvas/clear plastic pockets organizer which was supposed to be for jewelry and hangs from an uber clothes hanger. It is supposed to be on the wall behind the door, but still awaits the husband's installation of a suitable hook back there. :rolleyes:
I also keep a punched business card (or bigger piece if necessary) of both the positive and negative of the punch in its pocket with it. That way you can quickly check if your punch will do what you need it to, say, fit a certain image.
THT,
Holly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

our doors are really tight at the top too. i just bought a clear shoe rack to hang and love it so far. but can't shut the door all the way now. any tips on how to tweak it so i can shut the door? tweaking the rack hooks or tweaking the door? thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smefaithView Post
I really want to thank everyone who has shared their pictures and ideas on how they store their punches. (and Stamps)

I started out the past few years with my punches in the clear drawers. When I had my "people" over, I could just grab a drawer and bring it out to the area we were working in. It was pretty easy enough... then of course, after getting more and more punches, more and more drawers, and even if I was working on a project in my room, I found myself digging through the drawers to find the one I wanted and then never getting them back into the drawers... or just never using them because they were put away and out of sight.

Well, I made my way up to Portland, Oregon and to the Ikea there. It's a 5 hour drive one way for me. (my daughter lives in Salem, about 1 hour from Portland, so my friend and I stayed there)... My Goodness, you gals... You never said anything about them giving you a "map" to get around the store!!!!! Boy, they have some FUN stuff there!!!

I got 8 of the smaller size rails, some S hooks, two different size baskets, and a metal pail (that went with another system, but I think I can make it work) They did have some plastic pails that go on the rails, but I'm more of a country gal style, so the metal pails was more my thing.

Now.... it's going to be putting it all together. I like the idea of putting them on beadboard, then hanging that on the wall. Being so visual, I think I'll like the punches out where I can see them....

So, Keep the ideas coming... I'm going to photo journal my "blooming" from mess to "gee, I know where that's at....lol..lol It's going to be an adventure....

Faith
I actually attached mine to a piece of plywood that I painted to match my wall so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb. I did not know how the beadboard would work because it was much thinner than the piece of ply wood I got. Today it is getting attached to the wall! I am so excited. Thanks to Diana for being my "angel" and sending me the rails! I don't have any pictures yet but if anyone is interested I will attach one when we get it hung.

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

If anyone wants the black Ikea flat rails I bought a bunch for my punches and went with drawers instead...Ikea no longer accepts returns without a reciept NO MATTER WHAT!!! So...if anyone wants them, I have 2 left and will sell both for $10 plus shipping.

They are the LONG ones shown here:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20115745
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaufeestamperView Post
our doors are really tight at the top too. i just bought a clear shoe rack to hang and love it so far. but can't shut the door all the way now. any tips on how to tweak it so i can shut the door? tweaking the rack hooks or tweaking the door? thanks!
I have used cup hooks to mount pocket organizers where there wasn't enough clearance between the door and frame for the over-the-door hooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

oooo, can you enlighten me a little more on what a "cup hook" is? sorry, i'm sick with a cold and not thinking clearly.... thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

A cup hook is a curved hook with a threaded end, like this.
Often used to hang coffee mugs from the underside of a cabinet or shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

ah, i know what those are. thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

This morning while I was waiting for the cable guy to show up (upgraded to a DVR -- Yeah!), I played around with my storage. I've been buying the JetMax cubes from Michael's whenever there's a sale or with a coupon. I've been using the shelf unit for scrapbooks (vertical) and paper (horizontal). I just put together another over the weekend and it was still empty. I placed it so the shelves were horizontal and noticed that they slid in and out of their slots fairly easily. I can get the bigger punches 5 across and 2 deep on these and they are the perfect height. I'm going to keep it this way for a while and see how it goes.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #68  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to store my punches in drawers but ran out of room, now I keep them in baskets(big and small) under my tables where I work, so all I do is grab and punch. No getting up from my spot to get them. I want hubby to build me a rolling cart that would house them all and it would spin. I have drawn what I want it to look like, so we shall see when this happens...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #69  
Glitter Queen

I use the organizer you can get here: www.organizemore.com

http://www.organizemore.com/programs...s&showitem=314

Mike makes these all by hand and they were reasonable. I had my punches in drawers before, but now that I can see them I use them more!

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
Yep, a CD rack works great for punches. That's what I use.
I love this idea. Plus the CD racks are fairly cheap. I think I might try this one. I could put punches and stamps on it.

Hugs
Jaunice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

liz

what about those command holder that when put on the wall you just pull the adhesive strip to remove but doesn't remove the paint or anything else
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizLuceroView Post
I use an over the door shoe holder for my punches but I have a problem. My holder is just about the full length of the door. Every time I open or close the door the holder "crashes" against the door. I know it needs to be fastened down somehow but I don't know how to do this. I rent so that leaves out a lot of "permanent" type solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
i will try this again have you tried the command adhesives the kind that when you put it on the wall you just put the tab and the adhesive comes off but not the paint or anything else
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #73  
Stampin' Fool

I haven't yet. I need to get to the store. Where do you find this adhesive?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

I just ordered their small ribbon rack. I can't wait to get it! Looks like they just revamped their site. Good stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #75  
Rubber Obsessor

Here is a picture of my new punch hanger! I am so excited. I painted mine so it matches the wall. My husband did a WONDERFUL job making sure the rails were level and the whole thing was level on the wall. I also got some S hooks and hung extra stuff on the ends. And as you can see, I have room for many more punches!
Attached Thumbnails
STORAGE FOR PUNCHES-punch-storage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmcavanaughView Post
Here is a picture of my new punch hanger! I am so excited. I painted mine so it matches the wall. My husband did a WONDERFUL job making sure the rails were level and the whole thing was level on the wall. I also got some S hooks and hung extra stuff on the ends. And as you can see, I have room for many more punches!
What are the rails and the baskets did you just go to the hardware store to buy them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:01 AM   #77  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitcatforeverView Post
What are the rails and the baskets did you just go to the hardware store to buy them.
No the rails and baskets are from Ikea! My new friend Diana sent those to me. (You have to read the previous posts!) They are really inexpensive but you have to get them at the store..they do not sell them on the internet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #78  
Rubber Obsessor

I was at the container store this weekend and they had some flat rails that I think would work too. I did not see how much they were but they had all kinds of cool stuff to use. My head was reeling but mine was already done and up. That is where I got the hooks on the end though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #79  
Inking Addict

Great job with your rails R!! Your hubby did a wonderful job. I'm still waiting for my new house to mount mine, but I really like the board you put yours on. Fewer holes in the wall. LMK if you need any more baskets etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #80  
Glitter Queen

I had my hubby put pegboard on the wall above my work surface. I painted it to coordinate with my room and then I purchased hooks for the pegboard and wooden dowels. The punches store perfectly on them.
Hope this helps.
Kate
Reply With Quote Likes