Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2016, 03:27 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp storage without pockets?

I've been busily following all the threads and posts about storing clear stamps on laminated card/EZ mount panels within small plastic pockets like the Avery Elle pockets. These ideas are all fantastic, except my issue is with using pockets at all.

I prefer storage where everything is really easily accessible as I have a small space to work, and one extra layer around things drives me mad (and means another thing to lose on my desk). My dies for example are stored on a magnetic panel stuck to A6 chipboard, all in a small box and organised by theme, which is really easy to flick through.

Has anyone successfully stored clear stamps without using plastic pockets?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

I recently bought the SU stamp cases and I am like you, do not like pockets for storage.
I sorted the stamps into the cases and labeled the case with what theme they were. I like this system so far. That being said, I do not have huge # of stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This doesn't solve the pocket issue, but just fyi, the extra step of laminating cards isn't necessary - and isn't part of Jennifer McGuire's system, which I'm guessing inspired many people.

Stamps can remain on what they came on or stuck to Grafix Duralar (looks like acetate but isn't). A piece of cheap cardstock can be added to help the pocket stand upright. Theme dividers can be added and you flip through.

I'm guessing you've watched Jennifer's stamp storage videos, but on the off chance you haven't, it's a space saving sytem - smaller than putting stamps in binders, for example, and portable.

But if it's solely the pockets themselves that's annoying, hopefully others will have some great solutions for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 05:56 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Just maybe... you could adhere the clear sheets your stamps are attached to - whether it's the sheets they came on or Duralar - to heavy cardstock all the same size, and put them in bins without pockets, add dividers and flip through.

You'd have to be careful, but they'd be in bins, and clear stamps tend to really cling. (And if they don't, washing with mild soap/water lets them cling again. It could be dust/ink/oil from hands.)

Maybe dumb, but it's all I've got.: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

If the stamps are clinging well then the pockets aren't necessary - they're more a precautionary step so you don't lose any stamps that may fall off. In my particular case I feel they're necessary because I have the panels squeezed rather snugly into their respective bins so I'd be more likely to have one pop off, but if you leave more wiggle room to easily pull them out and tuck them back in you may be fine. It wouldn't hurt to give it a test run...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Kiki-Mac, like you I like easily accessible storage and pockets drive me nuts. I store my stamps on laminated pages that are stored in boxes. I mixed clear and cling-rubber on the same pages and if a stamp falls off the page they are still in the box. I've been using this system for years and it really work well for how I like to find stamps and easy to maintain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 04:26 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks so much everyone! Some great suggestions here. I'd actually love to go to the DVD case system as I have a few SU sets still in their original boxes and I find that system really easy to use, but I'm worried I'll run out of room. I don't have a huge collection now, but as we know, stamp collections don't stay small for long :lol:

stamphappy1650 - I have started with something similar to your system, without pockets, but how do you stop your stamps sticking to the laminated cards/pages in front of them? Do you have dividers between each set? Mine are currently all stuck together in one big pile!

bjeans - I have watched JM's videos, and they were my original inspiration to chuck my old system and start anew. Before I saw this, I'd moved all my stamps to EZ mount panels in a binder, but I have recently cut the panels up into A6 size panels to use in the new system as binders drive me mad :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

kiki_mac, you could just put cardstock between your laminated panels, and only use one side of the panels for ease of flipping through to quickly see everything.

Or if you start from scratch don't laminate. The stamps cling to the clear sheets they came on or Grafix Dura-lar (which looks like acetate but won't ruin stamps). Put cardstock between each one, or attach each sheet to the cardstock, as mentioned above.

IOW, it's 1) Jennifer McGuire's exact system but without pockets, or 2) a hybrid if you adhere the sheets the stamps cling to, to cardstock instead of pockets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Kiki_Mac most of my pages are a mix of clear and rubber and since the rubber is higher the clear don't stick to the sheer on top. For the full sheets of clear I put a sheet of grapfix duralar between the sheets. I don't use card stock because it can stick to real sticky stamps.

I don't keep my stamps on the sheets the come on because I can never remember what companies use the right kind of acetate. I only use duralar because I know it won't melt my clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

OT stamphappy1650 it's funny - I've read/heard a lot about the right or wrong kind of acetate, and like you, wouldn't remember what company uses what. But I inherited a bunch of old clear stamps. Not one has been damaged by the acetate they're on. Some have been REALLY stuck to it and stained or yellowed, but not damaged.

I wonder about temperature and/or sun having an affect too - maybe it's some combination.

The only sheets I've changed to Grafix Dura-Lar are marked "made in China" that I bought by accident. The stamps are fine, at least now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

P.S. Of course better safe than sorry; I'm not suggesting that people stop switching to Dura-Lar! I was just wondering "out loud" about heat being a factor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

I don't about others but I lost several stamps that glued themselves to the package so I don't risk it anymore. Stamps are better quality now. All my stamps are stored out of the sun/heat. I just cringe when I see rubber stamps stored on a shelf out in the open.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I laminate my cardstock to make storage panels, I just do half-sheets of cardstock in the full-size pouch and run it through the laminator. The half with nothing in it seals to itself and I cut the two halves apart and use the laminated cardstock half as the carrier sheet and the clear (sealed to itself) half as the cover sheet. That way the stamps don't stick to the panel in front of them or, in my case, the sleeve that I slide them into. Like others are doing, I have a mix of rubber and clear stamps on the panels (They are stored in categories, not sets, for the most part.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks all, that is really helpful!

bjeans - the original acetate from the packages is long gone as I switched to EZ mount panels a couple of years ago. They were different size packaging anyway and I've always preferred a system with consistent size panels. So I've cut the EZmount panels up into smaller A6 panels - all great, but then was stumped about how to ensure they don't stick to each other!

gregzgurl - that's a great idea. If I need more panels I'm going to make them myself rather than cut up EZmount panels, so I'll try that.

stamphappy1650 - thanks for the advice - will check out Duralar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2016, 04:39 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

I like consistent sizes too, but didn't want to switch every single set to Dura-Lar, though I do use it. Since the cardstock is all sized the same, that takes care of the size issue.

I looked at EZ Mount panels initially since my LSS sells them, but didn't like the thickness, wanting my stamp stash to be as compact as possible.

It sounds like you're set though - hope it works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I like consistent sizes too, but didn't want to switch every single set to Dura-Lar, though I do use it. Since the cardstock is all sized the same, that takes care of the size issue.

I looked at EZ Mount panels initially since my LSS sells them, but didn't like the thickness, wanting my stamp stash to be as compact as possible.

It sounds like you're set though - hope it works for you!
EXACTLY why I do what I do...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
EXACTLY why I do what I do...
Love compact.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 07-05-2016 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 521 Likes on 234 Posts

I love compact too.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 03:31 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki_macView Post
Thanks so much everyone! Some great suggestions here. I'd actually love to go to the DVD case system as I have a few SU sets still in their original boxes and I find that system really easy to use, but I'm worried I'll run out of room. I don't have a huge collection now, but as we know, stamp collections don't stay small for long :lol:

stamphappy1650 - I have started with something similar to your system, without pockets, but how do you stop your stamps sticking to the laminated cards/pages in front of them? Do you have dividers between each set? Mine are currently all stuck together in one big pile!

bjeans - I have watched JM's videos, and they were my original inspiration to chuck my old system and start anew. Before I saw this, I'd moved all my stamps to EZ mount panels in a binder, but I have recently cut the panels up into A6 size panels to use in the new system as binders drive me mad :-)
I have discovered the SU cases will actually hold 2 sets of SU stamps. I double them up and use my label maker to indicate which stamps are enclosed (on the top edge) and store upright in a bin. I've also placed the inserts showing the stamped images inside and modified the panels for the spines, so that no matter which way I'm looking at the case, I can tell what it contains. Since the DVD cases hold 2 sets of red rubber stamps, I believe they would hold even more of the clear stamps. This is a great space saver and more convenient than the pocket system, though I do use both.

Last edited by CardgirlJo; 07-06-2016 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: Punctuation error.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

I have over 500 stamps set...wood, clear and photopolymer...(please don't judge me!! I do use them all making cards for troops, hospitals and family/friends)
I purchase mostly SU sets but others are handled the same way...I think alphabetically so all stamps are kept together as they originally came...I have remounted many onto cling foam purchased from Stamper's Best.
random stamps are stored by theme
all boxes are labeled with my P-touch
I have a master index indicating where on the spinner the set is located
Wood are in VHS boxes (picked up at local thrift stores and a site I can't think of right now...when I do I will post)
Clear in DVD cases (Super Jewel King box no hub from Tapeonline.com)
photopolymer in DVD or CD cases (picked up at thrift stores)
I have them all in two DVD/VHS spinners.(picked up at thrift stores for $10.00 each.a master index tells me where on the spinner the set is located
I also have all my dies in DVD cases and appropriately labeled. If the die has a matching SU set it is stored in the box with the set/if two there is a cross reference on my master index
It has taken me two years to accomplish this and I am so happy with the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 06:36 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

VHS boxes no hub BagsUnlimited $29.21 for 50 free shipping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been using VHS and now tall DVD cases since I started stamping over 10 years ago and am still happy with this storage system. I have an 8' long shelf over my craft desk and a smaller shelf system on a side wall that holds all my cases. I store by manufacturer and have a catalog binder. I can find whatever stamp I need in less than a minute.

I often leave the stamps on their original clear backing, or if on EZ-Mount, they cling right to the case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Here's what I do:

life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 521 Likes on 234 Posts

That's neat, Jo! I see you have something clear on those hanging files for the stamps to stick to...what did you use?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi Diane.....sorry, I was in a hurry earlier when I quickly uploaded my pics. Here is an explanation of what I do:

I get a hanging file and cut it in half, giving me two pieces. Then I glue acetate to each piece. I stamp my image on paper, glue the paper onto the file piece, then store the stamp directly beneath it using Aileen's Tack it Over and Over if it's a rubber stamp. If it's a clear stamp it will stick on it's own. Then I hang them in a box meant for storing hanging files and put a label on it, i.e., flowers, butterflies, sentiments, etc. I also have a filing cabinet where I do the same thing and store my less used stamps there. The box with my most used stamps sits right beside my chair. I've got instant access to all my favourite stamps. If I'm going somewhere I put a lid on it and take it with me. It is bulky but light as a feather. Let me know if you have any questions.....I LOVE this system.....I thought of it many years ago and have been using it ever since.
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have started storing my dies in plastic (CD like) cases for stamp/die storage, I purchase from Hallmark Scrapbook & Crafts for less than $3.00. I then go to the hardware store and purchase a package of Magnetic Vent Covers for register vents (3 sheets per package) and cut the magnetic sheets to fit the case. I get 3 from each sheet. Very inexpensive to purchase this way. Magnetic only on one side. Works great.
I am currently storing my cling stamp, unmounted rubber stamps in 3 ring notebook type system with plastic sleeves (from Hobby Lobby) BUT taking up lots of space and might go to using these clear plastic cases or the JM system with envelopes and putting them in a basket/bin next to the dies on my shelf. I also have a wall unit, my husband built to hold wood mounted stamps with narrow shelves (like the units displaying them in the store). As I downsize these and donate or sell them, as they are not being used much, I will use the shelf unit for paints and other small items. It is all a changing process as my interests and the hobby changes. Fun trying to keep up!!

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 651 Posts

Thanks Jo for sharing with pics how you store your stamps! Genius!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes