Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I or shouldn't I? Magnetic cards?

I currently have a few pieces of Stamp-n-storage. I have one of the open top boxes that stores embossing folders and framelits. I'm undecided if I should actually splurge and buy the magnetic cards for my framelits. Right now they are all in their Stampin Up envelopes and stored in the box. I used 2 sets of them today while making Christmas cards and as you know, there's just a strip of adhesive on a piece of cheap cardboard with the framelits stuck to it. Well, with a couple of pieces I had a hell of a time getting the things unstuck and a couple pieces weren't even stuck to the adhesive.

So I've been tossing around the idea of getting some of the magnetic cards to store them on. Got a couple questions though. If I decide to get them and still store them in the box, is there a way to label them? Then I'm wondering if I get the magnetic cards, could I store the card with the framelits on it INSIDE of the Stampin Up DVD case with the matching stamp set?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I've tried a few different die storage ideas and each had some things I didn't like. Now I store my dies in binder boxes on magnetic sheets. Here are some things to consider:

I felt it was kind of pain to pull the mag sheets out of the envelopes versus just opening a box. I bought my boxes a long time ago so the price was cheaper but there are probably other options that are less expensive.

Cost of mag sheets versus buying double stick magnet sheets that you can adhere to junk cardstock. I buy 4x6 dbl stick sheets. I put 2 sheets on the front and 2 on the back of a 1/2 sheet of junk cardstock.

I made index binders for future reference using small binders and stored actual die cut samples on cardstock. On the backside of the sample cardstock I adhered some of original packaging so I would know who made the die. I put the index pages in sheet protectors. The sample pages are stored back to back to save on the number of sheet protectors.

Pros & cons:
If a die falls off the magnet it stays in the box the same as the plastic envelope but I don't have to dump the die out of the envelope.

Binder boxes are more sturdy than envelopes

I store my dies by category and I can put a lot of dies in one box so it saves me a lot of room.

If you have a lot of dies it can get pricey

Doesn't take up counter space the way my boxes

When full the binder box can be a little heavy but not so much that its a real problem.

Here are some pics of my storage. I have close to 500 individual dies and this storage system is one that works the best for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I or shouldn't I?  Magnetic cards?-thin-die-storage_boexes1.jpg   Should I or shouldn't I?  Magnetic cards?-thin-die-storage1_back.jpg   Should I or shouldn't I?  Magnetic cards?-thin-die-storage1.jpg   Should I or shouldn't I?  Magnetic cards?-thin-die-storage_inside.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

My up line gave me a stack of adhesive backed magnets which were meant for business cards. I use 2-3 on the sheet that comes with the framelits. I can write the name at the top and how many die (always good to know). We were given white boxes about 3 conventions ago as part of our M&T projects. I hold my framelits in one of those and embossing folders in another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Magnet sheets for dies work well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 05:33 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or Dollar Tree and buy magnetic vent covers. make your own,it is cheaper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I use an Art Bin case with magnetic sheets. My sister uses the Stamp n Storage sheets.

I love my Art Bin case. It can get a bit chaotic if I'm not disciplined enough to put them in a sort order. With that said, I always get the frames into the case at least.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I use the vent covers along with mini binder sheet protectors and store them in a mini binder. Easy to flip through. Not all dies need magnetic sheets but for the nesting dies, it's a lot easier to see what you have.

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Heavywei.../dp/B004K77QQ0

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Durable-...3A2PHFWRFTDVA4
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought a DVD storage box online from one of the office supply stores, or from Amazon. I'm sorry, I can't remember where. It came with little hanging files to hold the DVDs. I cut heavy CS to size, then used double-faced tape to secure magnetic strips on the CS to hold my dies. I bought the magnetic sheets from Menards (vent covers). It works very well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I or shouldn't I?  Magnetic cards?-img_5053.jpg   Should I or shouldn't I?  Magnetic cards?-img_5056.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I use the Stamp-n-Storage box with magnet sheets for my SU dies. I love how easy it is to flip through them and the magnet is really strong an the dies don't fall off.

I also use the small & large binder boxes by Crafter's Companion. I don't mind these but find the pages don't hold as much as I would like and I do find that some of the dies flip off when I turn the pages.

My favorite die storage is the Zutter magnet sheets. I use the pink version. They are a bit bigger (12 1/4 x 8 1/2) and you can just flip through them and pull out the storage panel you need. They have plastic dividers that come with them to separate each magnet sheet so the dies are not cutting into anything. I can store about 12 panels in one box. I am starting my second box and I found one at Staples (they are from Really Useful Products Ltd - Select country) and I bought the 4L size. Now I just need to buy the refill magnet sheets (3 per pack) which are a bit cheaper to buy.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #10  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I've done every magnet DIY storage on earth and now I finally like my storage with those magnet cards - they are SO sturdy and easy to flip through. I label them with my label maker in the top right corner and put them in alpha order. I also put the number of dies on the label.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I store mine on adhesive backed magnet sheets. I slip then into stamp storage binder sleeves, just like I store my stamps. I label the sheet, and keep them all in fridge bins (like Jennifer McGuire stores hers. My sheets are 5.5x8 inches, bigger than stamp n storage. Oh fudge, this doesnt even make sense to me. Off to snap a pic.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 12-01-2015 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 489 Likes on 307 Posts

Mine are on magnet sheets, two or more sets to a cling mount stamp case from SU. then they are alphabetical on the shelf if no number in the name....ie. Labels one and two share a case, the spine is labeled. Window framelets and flower ones share,,,and so forth. I also use the mid size of each set, cut out the shape and attach it to the front of the DSP I have used to "decorate" each case. All the alpha ones begin on the left of the shelf, and numbers are in order from about 1/4 of the length of the shelf to the end of the bookcase. I also use vent cover magnets but lucked into some calendar/event magnets from a local attraction, the year was almost over and they had a bunch left and gave them to me. I use them and because of the DSP you can't tell that they are calendar of events at the zoo.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Annecards where do you get your stamp storage binder sleeves? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. BenkoView Post
Annecards where do you get your stamp storage binder sleeves? Thanks
They are Tim Holtz binder sleeves, practically indestructible. They're not flimsy and very sturdy. I only purchase them when on sale. They're normally fairly expensive, but I've purchased them for as low as $1.97 a pack on sale. I just do a google search and go for the best price. Overstock, Scrapbook.com, and others often have them on sale. I've tried others, but haven't found any that are as durable. I bought them for stamps, but found they're perfect for dies too. Big plus, dies don't fall off and no cutting through the binder!

Last edited by Annecards; 12-02-2015 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up going to Lowe's and buying some vent covers and cutting them to size to fit in the storage sleeve that my SU dies come in. Then I just adhered them to the flimsy cardboard that was in the sleeve to make it sturdier and slipped them back in the envelope. Good to go.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or Dollar Tree and buy magnetic vent covers. make your own,it is cheaper
I use these and cut them to fit in the original stampin up envelopes with the magnets stuck to them in a box - or if the dies fit a specific stamp set, I put the magnet sheet in with the stamps they match.

...just learning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid a small fortune for the stamp and storage unit and seriously it is not worth the money for me. I find that the magnetic sheets are bending. If the vent covers work for you go for it , probably a lot cheaper.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

The best place for magnet sheeting I've found is magnetking.com. I've included a copy of my order below. Note I don't buy adhesive backed so I can use on other projects. The adhesive backed is $10.00 more for 24"x5'

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
The best place for magnet sheeting I've found is magnetking.com. I've included a copy of my order below. Note I don't buy adhesive backed so I can use on other projects. The adhesive backed is $10.00 more for 24"x5'

Quoted myself, weird. Check out Amazon before purchasing what I did. They have the same size and thickness for free shipping on prime, but different manufacturer. This is 0.03 in thickness. magnetking is more expensive because of shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Deleted double post. Sorry!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

OP here. I ended up going to Lowe's and buying some magnetic vent covers and just cut them to size. Worked like a charm.

What I'd like to know is, what kind of adhesive did SU use to adhere the dies to that flimsy cardboard? Holy cow was it a pain to get the dies off of that adhesive. They should sell that as an adhesive to put our cards together with. I bet they'd NEVER come apart again. LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

I received some of the Stamp n Storage cards for free with their black Friday promo (order combo holder and I'm in love) and they are AWESOME! I just ordered the holder and more cards. I too was using vent covers and really didn't like the results. The cards from Stamp n Storage are laminated on chip board and are super sturdy. I used my ATG to attach pictures of some of the dies to the back of the card. Only the ones that need assembled (flowers, I have the Sizzix camper and it has lots of little pices, ect).
Reply With Quote Likes