Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Share your embellishment storage...

I am always Googling for embellishment storage ideas, do you have any handmade or recycled items that you use for storing your embellishments?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Just a fishing tackle box for me. It has 4 internal, divided boxes that I use for embelishments and a large area on top that I use for scissors, tape, etc.

I have additional internal boxes so that I can sort by colour and just add the required colours to the box when I go to crops.
Attached Thumbnails
Share your embellishment storage...-08-09-16_0528.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I recently went ROYGBIV with everything.

My embellishments are in stackable containers grouped by color.
-- Ribbons/string/textiles are in several containers. All sizes and quantities of ribbons, etc. are together.
-- Smaller embellishments, brads/ eyelets/gems, are still in their smaller packages. Then all of these little containers are stored together in a larger container.

I do not have a separate container for each color. I usually group red w/pink, and orange w/yellow, blues w/purple, and sometimes green, depends on quantities. I keep metal embellishments with the neutrals (black, brown, white)

I used to have a drawer for brads, a different drawer for glittery things and gems, another location for hemp, a different place for small spools of ribbon, and large ribbon spools someplace else. Don't even ask me about flowers, and other odds n ends.

Then I had a revelation: When I am adding an embellishment, I am usually looking at color. I go to brads looking for red and forget to look at gems (or worse yet - I completely forget that I had the perfect red doodad in another drawer). If I have all my red things in the one container, I may just find something that I forgot all about. I also have more "aha" moments when I can actually see all that is available to me.

There is one exception to the ROYGBIV system. In a non-ROYGBIV container, I place things that are themed (sports, Scouts, specific tourist spot/vacation, etc). When I am working on a page that is specialized, I just pull out the entire container that has the themed items to keep close at hand. Lo and behold, I usually find soccer ball shaped brads that I had purchased ages ago. And, tadaa, they give my project the pizazz I was looking for.

Basically, there are have two types of containers that I stack. They are pictured below.
-- Sterilite Show Offs (two sizes that do NOT mix and match, but fit my space nicely)
-- Sterilite modular latch boxes (three sizes that mix and match)

Lastly, all of the containers have some sort of latch. It makes them great for travel or just in case I drop them when I move them around.
Attached Images

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy-oView Post
Then I had a revelation: When I am adding an embellishment, I am usually looking at color. I go to brads looking for red and forget to look at gems (or worse yet - I completely forget that I had the perfect red doodad in another drawer). If I have all my red things in the one container, I may just find something that I forgot all about. I also have more "aha" moments when I can actually see all that is available to me.
I think the way you look for your embelishments and papers is the single most important consideration in storing them. Work that out, find the container to suit and you can't go wrong.

My only problem with ROYGBIV is that I often don't 'see' colour combinations that work. So, if a packet of brads is mixed, I will often sort by dominant colour and leave them together, like I would with patterned paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 04:04 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy-oView Post
I recently went ROYGBIV with everything.

My embellishments are in stackable containers grouped by color.
-- Ribbons/string/textiles are in several containers. All sizes and quantities of ribbons, etc. are together.
-- Smaller embellishments, brads/ eyelets/gems, are still in their smaller packages. Then all of these little containers are stored together in a larger container.

I do not have a separate container for each color. I usually group red w/pink, and orange w/yellow, blues w/purple, and sometimes green, depends on quantities. I keep metal embellishments with the neutrals (black, brown, white)

I used to have a drawer for brads, a different drawer for glittery things and gems, another location for hemp, a different place for small spools of ribbon, and large ribbon spools someplace else. Don't even ask me about flowers, and other odds n ends.

There is one exception to the ROYGBIV system. In a non-ROYGBIV container, I place things that are themed (sports, Scouts, specific tourist spot/vacation, etc). When I am working on a page that is specialized, I just pull out the entire container that has the themed items to keep close at hand. Lo and behold, I usually find soccer ball shaped brads that I had purchased ages ago. And, tadaa, they give my project the pizazz I was looking for.

Basically, there are have two types of containers that I stack. They are pictured below.
-- Sterilite Show Offs (two sizes that do NOT mix and match, but fit my space nicely)
-- Sterilite modular latch boxes (three sizes that mix and match)

Lastly, all of the containers have some sort of latch. It makes them great for travel or just in case I drop them when I move them around.
Thank you Wendy for sharing! I am learning that I need all my stuff out and around me so I can see it and use it. If it's not, I forget I have it and it never gets used. I like what you use! I'd like to have shelves all over my walls so I can see everything in pretty containers and this is a good idea! Thanks again for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love THESE handy containers. They're like a 7-day pill container. You can open each compartment individually, but they're latched firmly when shut - keeps me from spilling the whole container in my more 'graceful' moments! lol They're available in several sizes. For me they're perfect for brads, eyelets, beads, and all sorts of bling. I've found them at the chain stores, but have seen something similar in dollar stores, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use a sewing organizer that has a bunch of small compartments for brads and eyelets and some other embellies. The rest... well, I need more organizers. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbftView Post
I love THESE handy containers. They're like a 7-day pill container. You can open each compartment individually, but they're latched firmly when shut - keeps me from spilling the whole container in my more 'graceful' moments! lol They're available in several sizes. For me they're perfect for brads, eyelets, beads, and all sorts of bling. I've found them at the chain stores, but have seen something similar in dollar stores, too.
I love these because if you drop them or knock them over, everything doesn't go all over. The ones at the $ stores don't lock shut the same way.
I actually use one for my pills when I travel because it won't accidently open.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Oh those are neat Becky, thanks for sharing!

Jen, I hear you on needing more containers. I am trying to use what I have around the house, I'm running out of options!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

My ribbon spools are in a re-purposed wicker picnic basket. It's rectangular basket, somewhat flat, with a lid that has elastic pieces that hold my ribbon that is on cards. The spools are grouped by color in the bottom of the basket.

My buttons and brads from SU are stored in the container they come in.

I have also re-purposed three antique blue ball canning jars for ribbon that I have bought that is loose. I got them so cheap at a rummage sale. I also have three Starbucks frappucino bottles filled with ribbon or buttons. I like to re-purpose!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 05-05-2011 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I use the sterlite drawers the 12x12 ones from walmart I think Target has them too and then I purchase the Drawer inserts the divider compartments from thebestscrapbookshelf they fit nicely inside these drawers.. I also have one of the bestscrapbookshelf carts full too.. I like the sterlite drawers because I can also put cordinating stickers and paper in there under the tray..both sizes of the trays fit in there..They could probably be cut to use half of the tray I havent tried that yet.. another thing I do is put mine in little containers whatever seems to fit and then put that in my drawer with the paper and stickers.. Hope that gives you some ideas MIne is still a work in progress and may not be the best solution but it seems to work so far they are sorted by theme or catagory or color for example I have a dog drawer which has dog themed paper in it and one of the tray inserts hold s a dog stamp, dog brads and some ribbon...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I sort mine by colour too. I have about a dozen white photo storage boxes (from Michael's) and I store one colour in each. I have ribbon, stickles, gems - whatever I have in a particular colour in each box. For the small embellishments (brads, buttons, etc), I have a divided case (for crafts, fishing tackle, etc) in each box as well. I was finding, like wendy-o, that I was forgetting what I had when it was sorted by type. I do have flowers sorted separately (too many of them!) as well as a few other themes.
Reply With Quote Likes