Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Very Cool!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #42  
Embossing Fanatic

I so love this idea...however here's my dilemma: I have a combination of clear, unmounted and mounted stamps. Has anyone out there done a "total" reorg of all such types of stamps? I guess my biggest concern is storage as I hate to go to all the trouble of completely changing unless I know how to physically store all my new groups of stamps together. Right now I have a binder with scanned copies of all my stamp sets. However, it's large and bulky and I think I waste time flipping through it to find, for example just the right birthday cake or birthday sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I now have a large armoire(sp?) that my 100 sets are stored in. I now have sorted/stored them by theme...flowers, fall, Christmas, winter, valentine's day, birthday, coffee/tea, and general designs. This helps and stored in this amoire I can see them better. They are not stacked in groups of ten or any more. This cabinet is deep and I set them all the way to the back. I have very few that are stacked even two high. I love it! I hardely need my index binder now!

I wish there were a way to sort the index pages alphabetically. It's really hard to look through over 2000 entries to find what I want. I can't seem to get the search feature to work on this page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #44  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by themamaView Post
I so love this idea...however here's my dilemma: I have a combination of clear, unmounted and mounted stamps. Has anyone out there done a "total" reorg of all such types of stamps? I guess my biggest concern is storage as I hate to go to all the trouble of completely changing unless I know how to physically store all my new groups of stamps together. Right now I have a binder with scanned copies of all my stamp sets. However, it's large and bulky and I think I waste time flipping through it to find, for example just the right birthday cake or birthday sentiment.
i have wood mount, cling, and unmounted, but i store them all differently (so i don't have any good suggestions for you). I couldn't think of a way that I could combine ALL of them together that would make for the best use of space, and organization. But, I am satisfied with all of my storage solutions... my biggest concern was tackling the wood mounted stamps, and now that I've done that, I'm happy!
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

I'm getting there! Unfortunately, the SU! stamps don't fit into the "thick" stufftainers, you really do need the "thicker" ones -- cleverly I'd ordered 2 thicker and 9 thick. But Stampendous used a local (relatively) stamp shop so I bopped over there, they took back the thicks and I bought out their thicker inventory and am waiting for their next shipment -- she said they can't keep them on the shelves! I got 8 stamp sets into my first 2, a HUGE space savings!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #46  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
i have wood mount, cling, and unmounted, but i store them all differently (so i don't have any good suggestions for you). I couldn't think of a way that I could combine ALL of them together that would make for the best use of space, and organization. But, I am satisfied with all of my storage solutions... my biggest concern was tackling the wood mounted stamps, and now that I've done that, I'm happy!
Thought I would add that I DO have all three types of stamps stored in Stampendous containers (just not ALL of my stamps are stored this way, yet!)

I have some unmounted stamps in the "thin" Stampendous container, some cling mount stamps stored in "thick" containers, and of course wood mount stamps in "thicker" containers. It would be simple enough to keep a "thin" box of unmounted birthday stamps next to a "thicker" box of wood mounted birthday stamps. While they technically wouldn't be in the same container, they would still be able to be stored really nicely in the same location.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense... DayQuil does a number on me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #47  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This photo kind of shows what I'm referring to...

In the row are "thicker" containers holding wood mounts, two "thick" containers holding some cling mount, and I COULD have some "thin" containers there as well with unmounted, but they were on a different shelf at the time I took the photo. 90% of my unmounted stamps are in the binders, also shown on the shelf.

I think the Stampendous containers are a great option for all kinds of stamps ... wood, cling and unmounted. And, personally, I love that the outer dimensions of all of the containers are the same, and they line up so nicely on my shelves!
Attached Thumbnails
Separation of SU! stamps....a SIN???-6a00d8341c2d2753ef0133f568f3fd970b-800wi.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #48  
Crimping Master

It's not a sin if it's what you want to do and it helps you find what you want when you need it.

I don't think I could do it, though. I'm too totally OCD to consider splitting up a set of anything. (LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,925 Likes on 2,192 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I had never heard of the index gallery. How come they are not alphabetical? I've been working on stamping an index binder. I might be 3/4 done.....I might not ever use it now that I can see my sets.
You could go to the SU gallery. It takes longer, but you will be able to find them easier. They are alphabetical according to set name. There was really only one set I couldn't find an index for in the gallery. It was very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #50  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh my this is heresy. I'm feeling anxious just thinking about my stamps being separated from their families. I have to go lie down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

As a former demo, I still have mostly SU stamps. In the last two years I have begun buying other stamps; some from Michael's or A.C.Moore and some from GinaK or Papertrey. I have yet to break up my SU sets but I am thinking about it, as well as thinking about un-mounting them all. I don't have any money to invest in a new storage system at this time. And until I can decide if I want to reorganize by theme or not I see no point in going through the whole un-mounting hassle.

One main reason I don't jump at breaking up my sets; despite all the real benefits other members share; is that with a set you are assured that all the images and sentiments go together in terms of "style". The way the images are rendered, thick lines or thin lines, smooth or "scratchy" lines, as well as the style of font used for sentiments will all work together. Sometimes, I am not very good at choosing things on my own to combine so I like knowing I have a "ready to go" coordinated set to reach for. That's just my laziness I guess.

It does create more steps sometimes if I'm wanting to use an all around sentiment from another set I do end up having to pull out one, two, or three of those bulky clam shells and in my space it's not EASY.....but it saves me the creative stress of wondering if everything will go together. it works for me for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #52  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn324View Post
Oh my this is heresy. I'm feeling anxious just thinking about my stamps being separated from their families. I have to go lie down.
*LOL*

I used to think the same thing! But I was getting frustrated since it would either take me too long to get TO the stamp I wanted to use (since my stacks were two stacks deep on my shelf), OR I wasn't using all of the stamps I have. I'm delighted w/ my new organization. I know it's not for everyone, but I only wish I'd done it sooner.

I guess that's why it's so great we each have our own stash, rooms, and ways of organizing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Talking

Quote:

OMGosh, I hope I don't scandalize you Lynn but I've always wanted to separate my SU! sets! I have a gazillion little snowflakes in a billion different sets; I have some that cross seasons and that disorder made me itch all over! But I promise never to change the incense in the smelly thing the priest swings around -- how about that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #54  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

On an earlier post, Anna mentioned how she was able to combine (as in store together) su sets that were similiar in style. In many cases it's not separation from their families, it's, like joining an extended family of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc! Yes..that's it...a joyous family reunion!

So glad we all have different tastes, wants, needs, quirks. Makes life SOOO interesting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #55  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
This photo kind of shows what I'm referring to...

In the row are "thicker" containers holding wood mounts, two "thick" containers holding some cling mount, and I COULD have some "thin" containers there as well with unmounted, but they were on a different shelf at the time I took the photo. 90% of my unmounted stamps are in the binders, also shown on the shelf.

I think the Stampendous containers are a great option for all kinds of stamps ... wood, cling and unmounted. And, personally, I love that the outer dimensions of all of the containers are the same, and they line up so nicely on my shelves!
Thanks so much for the pics Anna. (And maybe it's because I'm on the Dayquil, too), but I had a pretty good understanding from your earlier description. This definitely can work! The image of all those lovely containers lined up neatly on my shelves makes me swoon! Oh the joy of having all my stamps in ONE spot in my little craft nook. I'm going to try to make myself wait (a week at least!) and think about pros/cons for my studio area.
Thanks so much for all your help! You are a good woman!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

lovin' anna solution. but now i have a new problem. how to decide on everyone's extended family. who to move in w/ who?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

I am in the process of doing this....I am just loving it. I put my Thank yous all together, all my Christmas words in one box (well okay 2 boxes, I had so many), Thanksgiving/Fall, Halloween, Easter, Kids, Masculine, Flowers/Nature, etc. I am waiting for some more boxes to finish, but think I will probably further sort some of my catagories. (Flower/Nature might become Flowers and another box of Trees/Leaves).

Debby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

i'm still afraid to start. i have family issues! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

I started to seperate my sets and LOVE it. Ditto to all above. Very liberating, and using stamps I knew I had but could never find when I was looking for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalaKittyView Post
Allistamp, I would love to see a picture of the inside of your armoire. I've been debating on whether or not to try and rearrange my craft room and put my armoire in there.

I wish there were a way to sort the index pages alphabetically. It's really hard to look through over 2000 entries to find what I want. I can't seem to get the search feature to work on this page.
I can't find my camera right now, as I've just moved! I didn't think anyone would be interested in the armoire idea because they are so big. It also seems like everyone is going unmounted.

I used to store my 100 wood mounted sets on a small book case with three shelves. They were stacked about 8 high or so. It took up hardly any room but this is SO much easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

The size of the amorie is a bit of a deterrent, that is why I'm debating on what to do. I'm also planning on unmounting my stamps but it's going take me a couple years at the rate I'm going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalaKittyView Post
The size of the amorie is a bit of a deterrent, that is why I'm debating on what to do. I'm also planning on unmounting my stamps but it's going take me a couple years at the rate I'm going.
Same here (the unmounting thing)

Last edited by twink-a-dink; 01-19-2011 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #63  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Does anyone know if there is a file anywhere that has pictures of SU stamps for indexing? I would like to keep a binder with a picture and name of each set but was hoping I wouldn't have to stamp each and every stamp. I am going to have to do that with my individual Inkadoo and other stamps and that will take a while.

What is a "clamshell case?" I have heard the term and am assuming it is the plastic case that SU stamps come in. Am I right?
I keep all my stamps in 3-drawer Sterlite storage. My non-SU stamps are sorted into categories, and I took close up pictures of each drawer for my index. I'm ready to separate some of my SU sets because I'm finding I have too many and am not using them like I should. I copied the label for the SU sets before assembling them and use those copies as my index for the SU sets. If I separate them out, I will write the drawer number by each image so I can locate them easily. I'm pretty sure this will work well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #64  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
It still amazes me that so many people act like SU is something special and the sets have to be kept together. I'm not passing judgement on anyone, but they're just stamps. The only time I kept my SU ones together was when I was a demo and kind of needed them together for workshops. Once I started separating everything out, the stamps got used so much more! I didn't have to pull out a ton of the boxes that took up so much room just to get the few stamps that I wanted. SU puts so many sets together that are multi-sayings or mult-holiday. Having them together meant that come Halloween or whatever, I tended to forget about those sets because the rest of my Halloween were altogether. Since I separated the sets, now all the Halloween are altogether and once forgetten (or just too hard to get to all of them) stamps get used. There are only a few sets that have stayed together and those are ones that the entire set had the same theme (such as Halloween, snow, etc.) or sets that I tend to always use together as a set. The best thing I ever did was separate out my sets.

My sentiments exactly.

I split up my sets years ago and never looked back. Because I'm a demo, I only keep the current sets together but it's a real pain. I also have a couple sets I haven't split up because I plan to sell them and it's easier to keep them together since I'm using them anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

I hear some in this thread have also broke up your clear sets...did you jut cut the acetate that particular image or word was on and stashin with say all of your thank yous? Like your Hannas, MFT's etc?

What if you have bare rubber with TIO&O on them? How'd you keep those from sticking to other stamps in the stash of themes?

Ditto with cling mounts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #66  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintlcView Post
I hear some in this thread have also broke up your clear sets...did you jut cut the acetate that particular image or word was on and stashin with say all of your thank yous? Like your Hannas, MFT's etc?

What if you have bare rubber with TIO&O on them? How'd you keep those from sticking to other stamps in the stash of themes?

Ditto with cling mounts?
I store all my unmounted stamps (rubber or clear) in univenture binders and use the coated stamp storage panels. See here . Using these panels ensures that the stamps only stick to the panel and not each other. For clear stamps that have an acetate type sheet with the image of the stamp I tape those to the panels so I can see what stamp belongs on the panel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #67  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post

For my index binder, I actually stamp each image individually. It will take time to get started, but once you have the binder going it's a snap to add new stamps.

This allows me to keep my image categories intact, put an image under several categories if it fits, and see how well it stamps or if the image is crooked.
I like this idea a lot because there are quite a few stamps that could fit more than one category. This is what I want to do when I have some time. Hopefully this summer?

I was also thinking if I just got the binder set up, then as I use a set I can just stamp it onto the appropriate page(s) in the binder instead of just stamping the stamps to get the binder done. Killing two birds with one stamp, so to speak.

Of course, I'd have to fill in sometimes with the stamps I don't use as often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #68  
Mad Swapper

I separate the images in my binder but not the sets themselves. I remember the stamps by the sets they are in. If I separated them I'd never be able to find what I want.

That's what I tell myself but my friends say I'm OC.
Reply With Quote Likes