Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2023, 10:54 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sentiment Stamp Storage

I'm trying to find a better way to organize my sentiment stamps. Curious to know how others organize theirs. Do you put all the Get Well together? Thank You's? Any input and ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2023, 06:05 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 321 Likes on 207 Posts

I keep my SU sets intact for resale after I am gone, but create category indexes where I stamp the sentiment [I also do this for images] with a note about what set they belong. All my stamp sets are filed in alphabetical order. Not sure this helps you, but is easy for me to flip through a category in my binder to judge what font & size I want to use. Can punch or die cut a frame to see how each fits the sentiment before I commit - these frames also are kept for future use with the name written on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by gaylestamps:
Beverly 1939 (03-09-2023), pepperann (03-09-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 07:38 PM   #3  

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

I separated the basic happy birthday, thank you, etc. years ago, placing like phrases together in the same box. It makes it quick and easy to find what one needs. Occasionally I have questioned myself as to whether or not I should regroup them back to their original sets, for the purpose of future resale, but I haven’t bothered with doing that. I like them separated as they are. I have not separated my newer sets from the last couple years, as my previously separated boxes are full, so have left them in their sets. I like Gayle’s idea of an index. I started an index many years ago, but didn’t really use it, so didn’t keep up with it. I have a fairly good memory of what’s in my inventory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2023, 09:45 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

I pulled all of my sentiment stamps from the sets and stamped them for an index by category and stored them that way for a while. What I discovered over a period of time was that I found it easier to remember where a set was than which category I had put the sentiment in, as quite a few fit multiple categories. I stamped them out for each category, but couldn't always remember which category the stamp was actually stored in. The easy solution was to leave the stamped index intact but put the stamps themselves back with the sets. Now I just have to go to the set, regardless of category - a real time and sanity saver for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by gregzgurl:
ChrisO (03-04-2023), Cindy H. (03-08-2023), gaylestamps (03-04-2023), ozarkstamper (03-04-2023), TexasGrammy (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 03:17 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I keep my stamp sets intact and use the Color My Life app with all the sentiments as tags, so I can easily find what I want. I just look for the tag “birthday” or “sweet” and a photo of any set with that sentiment will come up so I can easily see what will work with my card idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2023, 04:53 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

I keep all my sets together, and stamped them in a blank page in a binder. I list the name of the company, and after sifting through my binder, I can find the stamp set in my designated containers for separating the companies. Sometimes I wonder if there is a better method too... but so far, this does work for me.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
NinaBeth (03-08-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 10:59 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 673 Likes on 423 Posts

I split my rubber stamps sets up years ago, so yes. get well is all together. that is easier for me. but, my clear stamps are all done by mfg alphabetically. ( the way I tend to work is, if I know I want a get well sentiment) I go to evernote first and type that in and let it show me possibilities. ( so, I can see all the rubber and clear at once)
and then I decide which one I think I will use.
( most of the time that works fine, sometimes the scale doesn't work and I change gears)
but, that is what I do. So broken sets work for me.

I spent a few years taking a lot ( thousands) of rubber stamps off blocks putting them on cling foam, stamping index sheets, laminating that and storing them in pockets to flip through like what I do with my clear stamps that I just have to slip into a pocket. which I like the flip through aspect of this but,
one thing about this system is it is a HUGE dust catcher.

so, I am currently trying to decide where to move the bins of stamps off open shelves in the corner of my room to. ( some I put into a metal legal sized drawers file cabinet. but, I have so many stamps I am on a toss up between emptying the second file cabinet I have of standard size cardstock in hanging file folders to maybe stack all that in the closet and see If I can get the rest of the stamps in the second set of drawers. ( the problem with this is, I think I still have too many stamps to make it work) and in my mind I never have "too many" stamps... :mrgreen:
but, you get what I am telling you here right?

It probably depends on you and how well you remember what you have and how many things you have to remember also.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2023, 05:27 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

It is both for me.
All my single sentiments are grouped together by theme. I am a font junkie so I have a lot of basics just because I like the font. I often do not like the font in sets or already have it. (ie cap print)

I don't break up my sets.

Sets are often a problem for me. I hardly ever like/need the whole thing. I may like the images OR the sentiment. So I wait for them to go on sale till they get to a price I am willing to pay knowing I will only use part of it.

I store sets in categories. If there is a sentiment I particularly like, I may stamp it in my index separately and note what set it is with and where it is. One of the things I like a LOT about Impression Obsession (IO) is that they will sell things separately as well as in sets so I can just get the part I like. Often though if I am getting the set for the flowers or whatever then I just index the whole set and forget about the sentiment.

After years of wrestling about the fact I was not using the sentiments in sets, I decided if I get x cards from any stamps in the set to hit my personal threshold of financial value, I am good with it.
(shrug)

I think it depends on you. Some people want to use every stamp in a set to feel they got full value of the set. If that is you, then find a way to note those sentiments and know where they are. This will depend also on how much space you have. Breaking up sets can use up more space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2023, 11:26 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Because I will never ever sell any of my stamps----give them away, yes, but not sell---I separate all stamps out of their original sets. Because I'm a "theme" stamper---each month I pick a theme and all birthday cards are made with that theme, each holiday has a theme and anniversaries for the year have a theme---I need to have all the stamps I own within those themes, so I can just go there and find all the stamps I have available to me for my projects. I keep all mine on wood blocks as I like them ready to go without finding the proper block, arranging it perfectly so it stamps straight, and not have to take one stamp off to use another. So they are all in clam shell boxes (old SU) and fit two deep in my shallow drawers. I can easily go to the proper drawer, grab out the boxes that have the stamps I need and get busy. My sentiments are all arranged by theme as well. Holidays are easy, as are get well, sympathy, congrats, thinking of you, caring, encouragement, love, friends, etc. I do mark the name of the set they came from on the end of the block, so I can find ideas or see what all goes together, if I want.. If I did unmount, I would still organize in the same manner.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by jeanne3579:
lovinpaper (03-08-2023), mlvanover (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 07:10 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE the idea of a theme for the month. I think I'm going to try this!!

I have taken a piece of white cardstock and stamped each of my "Happy Birthday" stamps on it with the name of the SU set it is in. However I'm contemplating breaking up my off brand sets into specific categories like "Thinking of You", "Thank You", "Get Well", etc. Not sure how to store them if I do. Any suggestions for this? On an acetate sheet? Any other way? I appreciate all of the comments, it has given me much to consider.

Last edited by mlvanover; 03-09-2023 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2023, 07:40 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlvanoverView Post

I have taken a piece of white cardstock and stamped each of my "Happy Birthday" stamps on it with the name of the SU set it is in. However I'm contemplating breaking up my off brand sets into specific categories like "Thinking of You", "Thank You", "Get Well", etc. Not sure how to store them if I do. Any suggestions for this? On an acetate sheet? Any other way? I appreciate all of the comments, it has given me much to consider.
Working with a theme for the month has made my creative process blossom, as well as somewhat limit the mess. I'm forced to see what I can do with a single topic and limited stamps more than once and in different ways. In answer of how to store your separated stamps, I ask how do you store them when they are with the rest of the set? If they are on an acetate sheet now, do it that way. If they are in some sort of box, do it that way. I use all the old SU clam shell boxes as mine are still on wood blocks, but you could use the current boxes SU comes in or even the heavy plastic envelopes that other companies use. To make things easy on yourself, my suggestion would be to use the same storage for everything. I have several of the plastic boxes that SU unmounted stamps now come in. Some I use for storage of other things, but I would be willing to send you those that I can't use to aid in your new plan, if that's the way you decide to go. There may be others that would do the same, if you put out a plea. Good luck and happy reorganizing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2023, 12:22 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 673 Likes on 423 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlvanoverView Post

I think it depends on the type of material you are trying to cling to the acetate. ( but, what I have done with rubber on cling foam style stamps is I buy cheap cardstock at Joanns ( white) and I laminate this in 3ml sheets in a home version laminator ( 20.00 at Amazon) and I cling the stamp to this inside pockets. So, because I need to know what is on the sheet. I stamp all the stamps on one side of the sheet with black ink before I laminate them.
did that make sense? ( the cardstock between the laminating sheets gives it some stability to stand up in a pocket rather than slouch from the weight)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by JBgreendawn:
KittyD35 (06-19-2023), whim6915 (03-10-2023)