Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #81  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also finally found a hutch that I LOVE. The top is mostly for decorative storage and the bottom I use to hide my Stampin' Up ink spinner in the bottom left cabinet and the bottom right houses my big shot and a tote with retired SU inkpads. The drawers hold PL swap items, lock down punches, and items to alter.
Attached Thumbnails
Repurpose / Recycle craft room-img_1635.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2016, 02:45 AM   #82  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftywitchAZView Post
I also finally found a hutch that I LOVE. The top is mostly for decorative storage and the bottom I use to hide my Stampin' Up ink spinner in the bottom left cabinet and the bottom right houses my big shot and a tote with retired SU inkpads. The drawers hold PL swap items, lock down punches, and items to alter.
Your hutch is beautiful!

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #83  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

Beautiful hutch....looks like you'll have alot of storage!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Ladies. It has also provided much needed vertical weight to the room. We are renting so my DH is reluctant to hang much on the walls (even though we are here for another 15+ months) so I am trying to make due. I have been fighting the urge to buy a second Kallax shelf that matches my current one to place on the opposite side of my big window. It would provide balance to my space and just look more finished in my opinion but again that would be a significant $ investment. I did have one moment of weakness where I almost bought a matching shoulder bag to go with my scrapbooking suitcase but after placing it in my online cart I remembered a similar tote I already own would serve the same purpose. Of course it doesn't match which drives me crazy but least I repurposed what I had.

Sue I would love to see how your are liking your space. Have you needed to make any adjustments since the last pics you posted?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #85  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I think Sandy Alnock made some great points about craft rooms in this YouTube video:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #86  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for sharing the video. I hadn't seen that one and she is 100% right at the beginning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #87  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Thanks Ladies. It has also provided much needed vertical weight to the room. We are renting so my DH is reluctant to hang much on the walls (even though we are here for another 15+ months) so I am trying to make due. I have been fighting the urge to buy a second Kallax shelf that matches my current one to place on the opposite side of my big window. It would provide balance to my space and just look more finished in my opinion but again that would be a significant $ investment. I did have one moment of weakness where I almost bought a matching shoulder bag to go with my scrapbooking suitcase but after placing it in my online cart I remembered a similar tote I already own would serve the same purpose. Of course it doesn't match which drives me crazy but least I repurposed what I had.

Sue I would love to see how your are liking your space. Have you needed to make any adjustments since the last pics you posted?
Oh my goodness gracious Melanie! I cant seem to get that room to where I feel comfortable crafting up there! I currently have my stuff that I am working on spread out all over my dining room table! :( Not sure exactly what it is about being up there.. but I went up and started cleaning it..organizing a little more and hoping to take my stuff up there later today.. I really want to get to the point where I love being in there!

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #88  
Pearl-ExPert

Sue I totally understand. I had my craft space up stairs in two of my last 4 houses and I struggled with it too. To me I like to be able to do other household chores in between projects so going up and down the stairs all the time( while great and much needed exercise) was annoying. I would either hide out and ignore my responsibilities and family or I would not craft for days at a time. In this current smaller house I started in the formal dining room but once we got a real table I moved my things to the living room. Now after my morning chores I can work on whatever project was out and if I need to stop and run an errand or do another chore I just run do it and return to my spot. I had to let go of the thought " well someone will see my mess if it's down here" and it has made all the difference. I do tidy up in between projects more now which has helped me use my storage more effectively and buy less stuff because I can't close a door on my stash😉. I enjoy starting with a cleaned up space once in awhile it jump starts my creativity. I get to fit in my crafting much more often and others can admire what I am working on. Hope my thoughts help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #89  
Die Cut Diva

I am opposite of you Sue. My craft room is downstairs in our finished basement. Our lower level is totally finished with a living room, kitchen, laundry room, game room, full bathroom, storage room, and a bedroom. After all the kids moved out I turned the bedroom down there into my craft space. I absolutely love it!!! It's my own little get away where I can turn on some music and craft away! I don't get to spend as much time there as I would like. Silly things like grocery shopping or picking up the grandkids get in my way sometimes :lol::lol::lol: Here's a little peek into my world!

I think once you make it cozy you will find you love spending time in there. It just takes time....relax and enjoy your me time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

HobbySue I LOVE your wall of shelves. I would love to have something like that installed if I ever get a permanent space of my own. I enjoy moving my things around often and always felt that type of set up would allow me to move shelves at will.

I think once my next is emptied or my oldest moves out I will convert one of their rooms to my craft space/guest room. In my first Washington home I had a den downstairs where I kept a queen sized bed and then had a large L shaped desk and it was the best of both worlds. I could still get things done but it had a door I could hide away like you suggested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Rest of my space

My room from left to right. My computer desk which has my whale tail punches and some of my journals to my left on top of filing cabinet that houses my 8.5 x 11 cardstock. Just to the left of that on other side of wall you see my printer stand. To the right of my desk sandwiched between it and the hutch is my Raskog cart that I can wheel over to my workspace when needed. It houses project life cards, ribbon and mixed media items. To the right of my hutch is my Kallax shelf that holds stamp sets, spray inks, embellishments, albums and my mix of 12 x 12 dsp and cardstock. I have a clip it up on top that is displaying pocket letters I have received. the table is our old dining room bar height table and I use it to either stand up to work or because I am SHORT the barstools. It is nestled into the bay window so it doesn't stick out too much into the room. Underneath I have an Iris cart that holds 6 project boxes I have separated by themes I use in scrapbooking the most. OH and the extra one on top is full of Washi. The stacked wicker baskets on the floor hold a portion of my favorite books and in the top one I house my scoring board, envelope punch board, glue gun, and atg gun.
Attached Thumbnails
Repurpose / Recycle craft room-img_1689.jpg   Repurpose / Recycle craft room-img_1635.jpg   Repurpose / Recycle craft room-img_1693.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #92  
Die Cut Diva

Melanie...love the table in the nook of the window. That has to provide some excellent lighting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #93  
Pearl-ExPert

It does on occasion, when it's not raining.😀 Our house sits so that window faces north so we get side light through that window from the west when the sun sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 05:40 AM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the video. I hadn't seen that one and she is 100% right at the beginning.
Agree. So nice that she makes the point that it isn't just about having a big immaculate craft room stocked with every goody known to woman. It is about creating. She said it so well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

subbing here. Thanks for starting the thread, Melissa. While I've bought a lot of big storage items for my new space, I'm also repurposing a lot of items for individual storage. Book cases were a HUGE must in the new space. My 16x30 space doubles as my art studio and my business office. I work from home as a freelance writer and music promoter.

I have to have the space finished in the next 3 weeks. Then I can share what I've done. One of my least expensive repurpose were the boxes that Milk Bone dog treats and Cat litter comes in. Cut the entire top off, cut the boxes to equal heights, vacuumed them out good then covered with fabric. They hold everything from food product boxes (that will be come journal covers), contact paper rolls and book pages to extra paint tubs and calendars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #96  
Polyshrink Goddess

Kelly, cant wait to see your new space! Great idea with the boxes!

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2016, 06:20 AM   #97  
Die Cut Diva

My stampin' studio has been in the same room in the lower level of our home since we moved in...so 20 years now. I've always tried to reuse/re-purpose what I have and save my money to buy more stampin' supplies! On my blog I've shared my space and how it's evolved over the years.

The best thing I invested in was a can of paint in a favorite color to brighten and personalize my space. I cannot believe what a difference that made! I had wanted to do it for a long time, but knew it was going to be a LOT of work pulling everything out of the room.

A couple favorite things I did to have stylish yet inexpensive storage was cover drawer fronts of my plastic storage drawers.

I also painted a yard sale jewelry box to match my room and it holds my embellishments.

I inherited an antique buffet in almost the color of my room which now works as my cutting station.

I've also used the craft cubes purchased on sale from Michaels and Joann along with a few other garage sale finds for the rest of my storage. Target's $ Spot and the Dollar Tree often have cute little boxes in fun colors & prints that work well for storing little things.

You can see more of my room from the early days to (almost) present and from very messy to organized here.

Edited to add: these photos show my room in an altered state, not what it usually looks like during a stamping session...in which EVERY surface is covered! I really do TRY to keep it neat and organized, but at this moment it looks like a tornado went through it!

Last edited by Crazy4Stampin; 04-22-2016 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #98  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4StampinView Post
The best thing I invested in was a can of paint in a favorite color to brighten and personalize my space.
Your room looks FABULOUS! So much space! Love it!!
I also love the color you chose for your walls. Looks the same as what I painted my bedroom two years ago. I have never been a green gal, but I love the bright, spring-like feel it gives my room. So uplifting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #99  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for sharing your space. What a great bunch of organization you have. I loved the deep oak file cabinet. I used to have a similar piece but twice as long before I moved and my DH said it was too big and heavy to bring with us. I miss it everyday. And once my Stampin' Write Marker Box finally dies( I don't want to buy them all over again) I think the Crystal Lite containers will make a cute swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #100  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You all have me thinking about using this antique hutch/breakfront which currently houses books and misc things. It would look much nicer than the hodge podge of rolling bins and book shelves I have now. The only problem is that it's not very deep. I will think on that.

I have an over-the-door towel holder with 3 rungs on it to store ribbon. I have been trying to think of of some way to store markers besides the expensive plastic/wood options and it recently occurred to me to use empty oatmeal containers cut to the desired length. I will cover them with DSP and attach them together some how.

I am thinking of using an upright knife and fork caddy for scissors, rulers,paint brushes, etc. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 AM   #101  
Polyshrink Goddess

A couple favorite things I did to have stylish yet inexpensive storage was cover drawer fronts of my plastic storage drawers.

Thank you so much for sharing your space! Its wonderful!! I always forget about covering the door fronts of my plastic storage! Thank you for reminding me.. Off to check out your blog!

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #102  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4StampinView Post

I also painted a yard sale jewelry box to match my room and it holds my embellishments.

I inherited an antique buffet in almost the color of my room which now works as my cutting station.

I've also used the craft cubes purchased on sale from Michaels and Joann along with a few other garage sale finds for the rest of my storage. Target's $ Spot and the Dollar Tree often have cute little boxes in fun colors & prints that work well for storing little things.

You can see more of my room from the early days to (almost) present and from very messy to organized here.

Edited to add: these photos show my room in an altered state, not what it usually looks like during a stamping session...in which EVERY surface is covered! I really do TRY to keep it neat and organized, but at this moment it looks like a tornado went through it!
thanks for reminding me about covering the fronts of my storage ! I love your space..looks so inviting..bright and cheery!

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"

Last edited by willowby; 04-25-2016 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: SORRY..TRIED DELETING ONE OF THESE MESSAGES AND COULDNT FIGURE OUT HOW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2016, 04:50 AM   #103  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks ladies...glad you like my room. For me the color change was huge! Especially being downstairs with only one window in my space. Now I love being in there even when it's messy!

It's always evolving...bring new supplies in and have to think of a way to store them but still keep them easily accessible.

Now if only we all had someone to put everything away for us when we were done!

Quote:

it recently occurred to me to use empty oatmeal containers cut to the desired length. I will cover them with DSP and attach them together some how.
That should work well. I have various sizes of tin cans that I've covered with paper to hold supplies. Or boxes covered with fabric are great to.

Quote:

I am thinking of using an upright knife and fork caddy for scissors, rulers,paint brushes, etc. Thanks for all the inspiration!
I have a couple black kitchen utensil holders that rotate on a lazy susan base, (I think they are Pampered Chef?) that I purchased used at a rummage sale. They have worked well for me to hold all the things you mentioned and then some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #104  
Pearl-ExPert

I still use my Pampered Chef Caddy in my Kitchen but whenever I decide to re decorate I know right where it's going in my craft room.... Unless I can also find one second hand
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by willowbyView Post
Kelly, cant wait to see your new space! Great idea with the boxes!
here is a blog post I did about the boxes.
KellySCreativeDreams: MIXED MEDIA MONDAY - Studio progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
You all have me thinking about using this antique hutch/breakfront which currently houses books and misc things. It would look much nicer than the hodge podge of rolling bins and book shelves I have now. The only problem is that it's not very deep. I will think on that.

I have an over-the-door towel holder with 3 rungs on it to store ribbon. I have been trying to think of of some way to store markers besides the expensive plastic/wood options and it recently occurred to me to use empty oatmeal containers cut to the desired length. I will cover them with DSP and attach them together some how.

Martha, I have mine in plastic glasses that I glued together with my hot glue gun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #107  
Polyshrink Goddess

Kelly, love your boxes....I'm always on the lookout for new upcycle projects! Now off to check out the rest of your blog! Thanks for sharing..

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes