Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Question: Will I regret this?

I find that I only buy the 6" paper packs lately, and I really only ever make cards or other small things. I'm considering cutting all of my larger papers (patterned papers only, not cardstock) down to 6" square. Will I be sorry if I do? Thoughts?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I like the smaller size too for storage and for cardmaking. The only thing I use larger paper for is envelope making and 3D projects from Sizzix dies. I took all my 12x12 to Kinko's and had them cut it all down to 6x6 not too long ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have thought about this but can't decide how I would store it. Right now, I have my 6x6 pads in a bookcase. How do you store the cut paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it depends on your cardmaking style, and whether you are inclined to make multiples of cards.

I seldom make one-of-a-kind cards, usually at least 4 of one design. So I like my 12 x 12 paper because I can get three 4" cardfront layers across from one sheet of 12 x 12 paper, with no waste.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, keep in mind what the scale is on your 12X12 paper. Some of those patterns are fairly large scale (e.g. florals) that are more suited to scrapbooking than card making. If you simply trim them to 6X6, you may lose some of the pattern, or the resulting paper might not "make sense", or just look downright ugly now. In some cases, simply cutting into 4 6X6 pieces might mean you cut right through an important element of your paper, and now it just won't work well with cardmaking any longer. So, when deciding what paper to cut down, go for smaller scale patterns like tight small florals, stripes and small scale plaids, polka dots, small scale patterns like brocades or houndstooth.

Anything that looks like it might be too large a scale, you can still cut down, but you may not be able to simply cut it into 4 pieces. You might have to carefully plan your cuts to capture that larger element in your piece, and may end up with only 1 or two well positioned 6X6 pieces. The remainder can be used for other things (envelope liners, etc.).

If you have lots of large scale patterns, you can make yourself a 6X6 jig (cut a 7X7 square out of cardboard, then cut a 6X6 opening inside of that square) that you can place over certain areas of the pattern to get a sense of what it will look like cut down.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also cut my 12x12 down to 4x6 instead of 6x6 so that if I make identical cards I have less waste and get 6 identical pieces from the 12 x 12. Depending on my card design, that means a minimum of 6 cards and most of the time 12.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Also, keep in mind what the scale is on your 12X12 paper. Some of those patterns are fairly large scale (e.g. florals) that are more suited to scrapbooking than card making. If you simply trim them to 6X6, you may lose some of the pattern, or the resulting paper might not "make sense", or just look downright ugly now. In some cases, simply cutting into 4 6X6 pieces might mean you cut right through an important element of your paper, and now it just won't work well with cardmaking any longer. So, when deciding what paper to cut down, go for smaller scale patterns like tight small florals, stripes and small scale plaids, polka dots, small scale patterns like brocades or houndstooth.

Anything that looks like it might be too large a scale, you can still cut down, but you may not be able to simply cut it into 4 pieces. You might have to carefully plan your cuts to capture that larger element in your piece, and may end up with only 1 or two well positioned 6X6 pieces. The remainder can be used for other things (envelope liners, etc.).

If you have lots of large scale patterns, you can make yourself a 6X6 jig (cut a 7X7 square out of cardboard, then cut a 6X6 opening inside of that square) that you can place over certain areas of the pattern to get a sense of what it will look like cut down.

Hope this helps.
I agree with you about preserving the pattern in some of the larger scale papers. Many times, you can use them for a card if you place them in the right spot.

So for me, the idea of keeping my options open always trumps the convenience factor of having pre-cut pieces.

When I'm using solid color cardstock, the extra pieces from 12 x 12 sheets can always be used for mats, embellishments, etc. on the card I'm making.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the input, ladies! I'd already considered that some of the papers might not work as 6" x 6" because of the pattern size, etc., but that's a good reminder. I also like the thought of 4" x 6" for multiples (although I seldom do that) and better use of paper. I'm still thinking this through, so I'm not sure whether I'll do it. Lydia - how do you store yours? Elizabeth - that's a good tip about the jig. I do that all the time when I'm sewing (I subcontract with decorators to make pillows and cushions), so it makes sense to do that with paper, too! Thanks again, all!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I immediately cut my 12x12 packs down to 4x6 and file them in photo boxes. Since the pages are generally grouped to coordinate (especially the DCWV pads) I try to keep them in order when I put them in the boxes.

There is a concern when there's a big pattern on one of the pages, but most of the time I manage to make that the focal point on the page and use them for "quick" cards. It's tedious but I use my guillotine cutter to get them down to size, I never thought about taking them to Kinkos, great idea.

You definitely get more for your money by buying bigger paper packs and since I only make cards I have no need for bigger pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually make cards, too. But recently have started scrapping. Tastes change and you may find that after you cut your 12x12 down you are making altered projects or something else and wishing you had kept it. I would keep it as-is and just find a better storage space for it if it's causing you a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut mine down (have a bunch to catch up on though) into 6 x 12. Then half of the pattern gets cut into 4 x 6 pieces and I leave the other half 6 x 12. Then the 6 x 12 will fit any Bigz XL dies that I need or I can use them for scrapping. I store mine in JetMax cubes. The 4 drawer ones are perfect!! 4 x 6 in a drawer and 6 x 12 in a different drawer. The 6 x 12 have to go in the long way, obviously. I try to put dividers in between the different packs (mine are almost all SU).
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #12  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Thanks for the input, ladies! I'd already considered that some of the papers might not work as 6" x 6" because of the pattern size, etc., but that's a good reminder. I also like the thought of 4" x 6" for multiples (although I seldom do that) and better use of paper. I'm still thinking this through, so I'm not sure whether I'll do it. Lydia - how do you store yours? Elizabeth - that's a good tip about the jig. I do that all the time when I'm sewing (I subcontract with decorators to make pillows and cushions), so it makes sense to do that with paper, too! Thanks again, all!
I have those rolling plastic carts with drawers. I get the largest black binder clips and I sort all the paper by color and clip as much as I can together into a little pack. I can get 8 of these in each drawer and it's a TON of paper - much more efficient for me. I can just grab the orange pack and look for something I like. Really has been a good change for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post
I have those rolling plastic carts with drawers. I get the largest black binder clips and I sort all the paper by color and clip as much as I can together into a little pack. I can get 8 of these in each drawer and it's a TON of paper - much more efficient for me. I can just grab the orange pack and look for something I like. Really has been a good change for me.
Great tip, Lydia - thanks! I have a lot of papers that I previously cut down to 8 1/2" x 12" so they'd fit in a regular file cabinet, and I cut 3" squares from the "leftover" strip to make a packet of samples so I'd know what I had, but I like the idea of just clipping the color groups together even better! Especially if I end up cutting everything else down...

The ones I cut before were older DCWV and Provo Craft packs (like, 7 or 8 years old). My SU!, CTMH, and K & Company were never touched, and those are some of the ones I'm considering now...

I'm still sort of on the fence, because I do some altering, and so that's a valid concern, but I've already gone the scrapping/no scrapping route - not for me, in a traditional way. Probably more along the lines of Project Life, which uses smaller everything...

So much to consider - I had no idea I'd get MORE muddled when I asked the question! Thanks for giving me so many varied viewpoints and valid things to consider! I'll let you know what I decide to do if/when I make up my other mind!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenda71View Post
I cut mine down (have a bunch to catch up on though) into 6 x 12. Then half of the pattern gets cut into 4 x 6 pieces and I leave the other half 6 x 12. Then the 6 x 12 will fit any Bigz XL dies that I need or I can use them for scrapping. I store mine in JetMax cubes. The 4 drawer ones are perfect!! 4 x 6 in a drawer and 6 x 12 in a different drawer. The 6 x 12 have to go in the long way, obviously. I try to put dividers in between the different packs (mine are almost all SU).
This might be the "middle ground" that would work for me... I'd have longer pieces for the dies, etc., and a bunch of "card parts"! I have one of those JetMax 4-drawer cubes, and it even has TWO EMPTY DRAWERS! This just might be the route I go, the more I consider it... I can still clip "chunks" of paper together like Lydia suggested - good way to keep track of which papers go with which, too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I made the mistake of cutting all my patterned 12x12 into 6x6 pieces. In hindsight I wish I had kept 1/2 sheet at the 12x6 size for larger projects.
So I have TONS of 6x6 papers and it can be frustrating when I want something larger. Now if I buy new paper, I only cut half the sheet into 6x6 squares.
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cara DeniseView Post
I made the mistake of cutting all my patterned 12x12 into 6x6 pieces. In hindsight I wish I had kept 1/2 sheet at the 12x6 size for larger projects.
So I have TONS of 6x6 papers and it can be frustrating when I want something larger. Now if I buy new paper, I only cut half the sheet into 6x6 squares.
Thanks for chiming in here! I think that I'll just cut everything down to 6" x 12" and leave my options open a bit... That seems to be the best of both worlds - easier to store and see what's what, still big enough to use for whatever!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 489 Likes on 307 Posts

I cut most of my 12 x 12 into 6 x 12 strips and file it by pad/company/whatever name...when I use it up,,,,I relable the tab...I keep them in the plastaic bins TARget sells. I have one bin for SU 12 x 6 and one bin for 6 x 6 any thing goes loosely organized by holiday name and color family. I did this about 3 years ago and have not regretted it. As someone posted above,,,,I end up with longer strips if I want to alter an item and have smaller ones to use for swaps, card parts and so forth.
If I buy two pads or packages of paper alike, I keep one as 12 x12 and cut the other...then cut the second when first is used up.
The bins sit on a bookcase close to my working desk and I find it easy to access them.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Among all of the other reasons suggested for leaving the 12 by 12 paper in its original size, I would personally not cut mine, because I use my Cricut to cut basic shapes. It is great to be able to put one piece down and cut a page ofa basic shape. I find it so much easier to do this, than to use Nesties to cut a lot of something. This might not be a consideration for you, if you don't use a die-cut machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I also am mainly a card maker and I thought about cutting my paper down as well, but I decided against it because I love to make those lollie wreaths and I have to use 12" paper for those- so altering projects and 3d projects is what keeps me from cutting them down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I cut most of mine down to 6x6 inches. I like storing them in the little crates I can get at Walmart. So easy to look through and choose paper. I make dividers with tabs to organize it all. If a sheet has a large pattern, I just set that one aside and keep it in a 12 x12 organizer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Wow, I think I need to cut my papers down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Starting cutting mine down years ago. Have never regretted it.
Reply With Quote Likes