Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Purging

Any hints on purging?

I gave up my craft room to make it into a bedroom for my MIL to recoperate in. Now she went back home and I get my craft room back. I've come to the realization that this would be an excellent time to purge. And this came to me as I move it all upstairs and now back down. :cool:

But I have a difficult time letting go. That tin mini album I got on clearance 5 years ago and have not even removed from the packaging? How can I get rid of it? What if I figure out a project? I haven't in 5 years but....

And that is what goes on in my head. Help!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, I have tips on purging. Imagine you have moved everything back downstairs. Now imagine your mother-in-law needs to back back in. What would you NOT want to move again?

Better yet, imagine you are moving in with your son and daughter-in-law permanently. You will only have a bedroom for you and your stamping supplies. What would you keep?

I face this situation now with anticipation and great joy. The absolute lightness of being! I feel as though a weight is being lifted as I pack items into boxes to put in the yard sale. I know the items I'm keeping are ones I love and will definitely be using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I did the opposite. My son went off to college, and I turned his small bedroom into my craft room. I filled it and filled it. When he needed to come back home several years later, we had to turn my husband's den into my son's bedroom. I figured it was only fair.
However, I'm filling it up at a faster rate than I am using the stuff. It's bad.
I've managed to get rid of things that people told me to save because they were fun to decorate: pill bottles, candy tins, etc. I managed to get all of them into the recycling bin, but I need to join you in purging.
I am thinking that scrapbooking supplies from 5 or more years ago should probably be gotten rid of. I don't think anyone would buy them, but freecycle is a great way to get rid of some of that stuff! Then it becomes somebody else's problem.
Also, I think that it's time to go through and find old tools. If something better has been invented, it needs to go. For instance, an eyelet setter. I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere.
I don't know if that helps you, but it's got me thinking!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Here's the truest thing that I can tell you about purging: Starting is HARD! Plain and simple, we get addicted to our stuff and can rationalize six ways to Sunday why we NEED it! Just as true: Once you get going, purging is almost as addictive as acquiring - especially if you are sending things to where they are needed and appreciated.

I started The Great Purge when we moved across the country two years ago. We only took what would fit in the car, so I was VERY picky about what made the cut. Most of the stuff went to a school librarian that put everything in a resource center for her teachers, and she was over the moon about it. Since then, things have gone to a daughter that caught the bug, several other people just starting out or re-starting after getting rid of everything, and specific things to people who like those particular specific things. It's totally rewarding to be able to have things I know I won't use go to where they WILL be used!

The best quote I ever heard about getting rid of things was from Danielle LaPorte: "You're giving sacred space to something that isn't sacred to you". The bottom line is that you have to be BRUTALLY honest with yourself. If you haven't found a use for something in five years, it's probably safe to let that thing go...

One more thing: DO NOT let yourself get caught up in the $$ trap on this!!! The money has already been spent, whether it was a good investment or a bad one, and it's doubtful that you'll ever recoup it no matter what you do, so leave that aspect out of the equation completely. I can't be bothered to sell things, so I just give them away, but that's a personal thing - you do what works for you...

Good luck to you! Like I said, starting is HARD...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 07-01-2016 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
One more thing: DO NOT let yourself get caught up in the $$ trap on this!!! The money has already been spent, whether it was a good investment or a bad one, and it's doubtful that you'll ever recoup it no matter what you do, so leave that aspect out of the equation completely. I can't be bothered to sell things, so I just give them away, but that's a personal thing - you do what works for you...

Thank you! This is another of my big hold backs, I spent $ how can I get rid of it?

Thank you all for the encouragement.

I begin this weekend. Wish me luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I feel the sudden need for a tin mini album, not that I know what it is. So I am not the best to ask about purging. : ) My address is... ; )

Kidding aside (sort of) I think "but what if I need it" is one of the major categories we can get caught up in during any kind of decluttering. (Purge sounds so violent, doesn't it?)

I've done major decluttering and organizing of books, the kitchen, and the most mega decluttering/organizing/beautifying of all, our garage, which is now my favorite space "in" the house. (It has art hung in it and spa colors.)

For me the hardest part was starting. Once I got into the rhythm, I could keep going. I started by using a timer and setting it for 10 minutes.

I got rid of more than 1,000 books, saving only the ones that earned their place on the bookshelf. We still have a lot of books, but the ones on the shelf feel so special to me now. But they had to meet certain criteria.

And the "what if I might need it?" Then I'll buy it down the road, or one like it, or if it's gone forever, I just bet something else might be just as or more special.

As for costing $$? It's not like we have more money in our handbags by keeping it. It doesn't pay rent. But I can feel good by putting together a box and donating it to the senior center or to the Life for Animals thrift shop. Or if I really want to try to make a few bucks I can go to a LSS's garage sale, though that's dangerous since others will be selling.

When going through the books I decided I would be ruthless. It was empowering!

How about psyching yourself up so those extra things cluttering up your space and head have to answer to you, not you to them. Lift your arms up and and yell "YES!" LOL (I read that to feel strong in the morning, don't stretch your arms up - stretch them out as far as you can to be as big as you can be.)

You can do it. : D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I too had a hard time getting started to purge my craft stuff. So far I've done it twice. I still have a ton more. When you store it away you don't realize what you have. It's my goal by the end of August to get it done. I hope I can do it. It's with a lot of regret the amount of money I spent on stuff not used.. The person I gave my stuff is a very happy crafter now. She also has people to share the extras.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I tossed a container full of flower petals. I know I bought them only because of the clearance tag but it did feel good.

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I came across this on fb, and thought it applied well to this thread.
Purging by lynnewithane - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

It is difficult to purge but it is also very freeing! It's true of anything we have in our homes. I have limited space and recently when my DH suggested I needed more space, I made the decision to get rid of some unloved items. I did keep some things that I was on the fence about but put them in a storage drawer. I'll revisit them in a year to decide what I'll do with them.
I picture us in a small home or apt when we are older so want to keep things in check.
Good luck with your purging!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
AH-hahahahahahahahahaha!!! (That's hilarious...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Perfect! Hahaha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 499 Likes on 277 Posts

Quote:

OMG!!! Yay!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

I am in the midst of trying to purge. I admit freely that I'm a hoarder. So far, I have one big box full of duplicates and unnecessary items weeded out.

I will say, though, that with 60 days until I retire (unless I get fired first, and I'd LOVE to get fired!), I'm not being ruthless. I will have a lot more time to play and THEN if I decide I don't want or need something, I can get rid of it.

I've always wanted to set up a swap meet for stampers. I know some scrapbook stores have flea market days, but most then insist the money be spent at their store, and I don't want to do that. Maybe, in retirement, I'll figure out a way to do this. Hm. Need to price rental on the county extension meeting rooms. Yes, I get that I'd end up bringing someone else's goodies home with me, but it's just who I am.

BTW- I've had 2 other stampers actually GIVE me all their stamps, and one other sell me the lot for a piddly amount. I know I'm a stamp sucker. Free is my favorite price, though, with cheap a close second!

Last edited by contrapat; 07-02-2016 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: add another thought
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I am in the midst of trying to purge. I admit freely that I'm a hoarder. So far, I have one big box full of duplicates and unnecessary items weeded out.

I will say, though, that with 60 days until I retire (unless I get fired first, and I'd LOVE to get fired!), I'm not being ruthless. I will have a lot more time to play and THEN if I decide I don't want or need something, I can get rid of it.

I've always wanted to set up a swap meet for stampers. I know some scrapbook stores have flea market days, but most then insist the money be spent at their store, and I don't want to do that. Maybe, in retirement, I'll figure out a way to do this. Hm. Need to price rental on the county extension meeting rooms. Yes, I get that I'd end up bringing someone else's goodies home with me, but it's just who I am.

BTW- I've had 2 other stampers actually GIVE me all their stamps, and one other sell me the lot for a piddly amount. I know I'm a stamp sucker. Free is my favorite price, though, with cheap a close second!
Isn't it funny how we get duplicates? I think I'm keeping track, and then bam, I find I have two of the same stamp set.
Luckily for me, I have a family member who stamps, but doesn't buy nearly as much as I do, so she usually gets my duplicates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Mostly, it's my CRS (Can't Remember Sh**), but occasionally, it's when I get or buy a box lot, and find duplicates in it. I was QUITE happy to find a couple pricey PSX stamps in the box I bought recently, even though I already had one of each- I figure selling those 2 will probably pay for the entire box, PLUS I found the PSX Cardinal stamp in there. I would not pay what the cardinal costs on ebay, although I really like the stamp, so getting it in a box lot makes me HAPPY!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Cute, and so true! Thanks for sharing a good smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post

I love being retired, but I've realized that I have to "force" myself to make cards! It's so easy to say, "I have all this time, so I'll do it later..." Then I get distracted and start something else and before you know it, it's time for lunch, laundry, and since I'm old now, it takes me longer to do things! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Start small and get rid of a few things you just do not like. What I know I'll never use again I never even gave a second thought to and away it goes.

When I moved it was easy to get rid of things!!! Box up all those "maybes" and stream line your space. Just take note how it feels! Is it freeing? Do you create more easily? Are you relived? Etc.

We can have so much stuff that's it's impossible to keep it orderly and organized. That's an icky feeling!

I'm also the first to admit I've had items in a rummage sale bin for a year or so and out of the blue I need a stamp from there! I do pull it out and keep it then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Today I started putting stuff in a box to donate to my friends classroom. Stack of templates I never use, a huge amount of precut squares of paper that I have kept for years but never use and some brads. Next step is my drawer of rulers And paper punches. Not sure how easy that will be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 348 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

I showed this to DH and he said "did the husband/partner stay out of arm's reach?"

(maybe he's hoping I won't start purging......)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

I managed to buy two of the same stamp in my very first month of stamping.

Sometimes even when you give something away you keep it. I subscribe to a monthly kit. A really large, well-made embellishment was included recently that didn't ring my chimes, and someone had posted they hoped to buy the kit if it was offered to non-subscribers, just to get that item. So I sent mine to her. Gone.

Except then the company mistakenly sent me a second kit, and when I told them, they told me to keep it. Boomerang.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I managed to buy two of the same stamp in my very first month of stamping.

Sometimes even when you give something away you keep it. I subscribe to a monthly kit. A really large, well-made embellishment was included recently that didn't ring my chimes, and someone had posted they hoped to buy the kit if it was offered to non-subscribers, just to get that item. So I sent mine to her. Gone.

Except then the company mistakenly sent me a second kit, and when I told them, they told me to keep it. Boomerang.
Funny how that works, eh? I guess it's true that "what you send out returns to you multiplied". Makes a good case for only sending out positive, I'm thinkin'...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

We downsized from a very large hutch to two smaller ones. I had to purge my supplies and stamps to fit in the new space. The good, bad news is finding gaps in what I do have leading to more purchasing opportunities! Feels good knowing exactly what I do have though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wrote this in a blog post a couple of years ago, having gone through a huge purge. Here is an excerpt of a longer post --

Ten Steps to Get Rid of Stuff:

1. Develop the desire to get rid of the stamps, the whatever. This is the hard part. You want to get to the point where you feel like the tiger eyeing the bunny....

2. Let go of the concept that "it is a waste of money to get rid of stuff." It is a waste of money, time, space, and karma to keep stuff you don't want. Period.

3. Decide if you want to make money off the stuff. If you want to sell stamps, it is work, so factor that in. There's ebay, your blog, Splitcoast or other forum, or yard sale. You can also pair up with another stamper and trade. "I'll take one Valentine's clear set, a birthday background and give you my vintage Owl and Cupcake sets." Then do it. If you sell to strangers over the internet, get the money up front through paypal, be honest about the condition, don't be greedy, mail it right away, and hope you aren't dealing with a nut case. If it gets lost in the mail, who bears the risk? I DO NOT KNOW. You are supposed to negotiate that at the beginning. The post office actually does an amazing job so I'd just hope for the best.

4. Or, if you are willing to donate the stuff, do it. Look around. There are stampers out of work, suffering through cancer, or just plain nice. Give the stuff to them. That's what I did. But first I sold a block of stuff (several bins) to one stamper who lived nearby. She picked up the stuff and gave me $200. Win win. I then gave away about 7 large plastic tubs of stuff (I'm crying as I type) to a wonderful stamper who also came by and picked up the stuff. Turns out she then gave away a ton of it to a bunch of other stampers (there was a LOT of stuff) and all those folks got together and gave me several hundred dollars worth of gift certificates to stores near our new house. It was a wonderful moment of connectedness.

5. Or you can find a nursing home, day care center, women's shelter, etc who might like the stuff. Google.

6. Throw out the crap. It isn't worth the time or money to give away little pieces of paper, the 3 orange brads you found at the bottom of a box, or the pound of ribbons and twine, each of which is no longer than 3 inches. Re read #2 and LET IT GO.

7. If you made cards and never sent them (shocker), take a hard look at them. I deconstructed about 200 cards that I hated, salvaged the embellishments and the card stock and tossed the rest. I had fun making them. It's a hobby. Good bye.

8. Look at the empty space you've created. The space in your house and your brain. Freedom! Resist the urge (and it will be there) to fill up the space with MORE crap. Take your time. Rearrange the space. Feel superior to hoarders. Enjoy and be proud.

9. Don't look back. Sure, I gave away some stuff that I regretted giving away. But I didn't have to pay to store it or move it (twice). And that was then. Regret over this stuff is a sin.

10. Don't gloat. The desire for more stuff will slowly creep back and you may find yourself needing to start over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Wonderful list! Number 10 made me laugh. Not that I'd ever suffer from stuff creep. ; )

I'd like to add one more donate possibility if I may? We donate to a thrift store that donates proceeds to a couple of charitable organizations we care deeply about - animal shelters/animal medical facility.

Some thrift shops don't display items well. Items may be tossed haphazardly into bins and lose value. The one we donate to is airy and light, and displays appealingly. For example, they often put dishes or other similar items in baskets with cellophane and a ribbon. We drive a fairly long way to get there, but they're worth it.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Here's the truest thing that I can tell you about purging: Starting is HARD! Plain and simple, we get addicted to our stuff and can rationalize six ways to Sunday why we NEED it! Just as true: Once you get going, purging is almost as addictive as acquiring - especially if you are sending things to where they are needed and appreciated.

I started The Great Purge when we moved across the country two years ago. We only took what would fit in the car, so I was VERY picky about what made the cut. Most of the stuff went to a school librarian that put everything in a resource center for her teachers, and she was over the moon about it. Since then, things have gone to a daughter that caught the bug, several other people just starting out or re-starting after getting rid of everything, and specific things to people who like those particular specific things. It's totally rewarding to be able to have things I know I won't use go to where they WILL be used!

The best quote I ever heard about getting rid of things was from Danielle LaPorte: "You're giving sacred space to something that isn't sacred to you". The bottom line is that you have to be BRUTALLY honest with yourself. If you haven't found a use for something in five years, it's probably safe to let that thing go...

So true! I found myself nodding at each statement -- you're right!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 05:08 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Set a timer. When I decluttered/purged our "wreck" room, which included piled up boxes from our move several years before, I set a timer for 10 minutes (or was it 5?), since I figured I could face anything that long.

Of course getting started can be the toughest part, and I usually stayed well past 10 minutes, but if I didn't? I could still feel good about accomplishing what I set out to do. And you can do a bunch of stuff in 10 minutes!

When not working on the room I kept the time in the kitchen so I couldn't ignore it. (Do I confess I bought it for the job? Having something in a cheerful fun color gave me a tiny energy boost.)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 740 Likes on 360 Posts

Sometimes if I have a problem area (in this case your craft space) I may purge another area that I am not so attached to. It "sets up" my brain in purge mode. Makes it easier to do the problem space if you dont wait a long time to get there inbetween.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2016, 01:49 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Next week, I will rejoin my craft goodies in Florida. The movers took them to our new house in May and I kept only three boxes of supplies to hold me over until I moved down.

This thread has inspired me to purge as I unpack and set up my new craft space. I want it to be a relaxing space for me to retreat to and less stuff would accomplish that.

Time to get rid of retired inks, paper, ribbon, alterables that I never used and stamps that haven't seen ink in years.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm feeling another purge of 12x12 paper and punches coming on!

I got rid of probably half of the DSP I had about a year or so ago. I have bought more (not too much), but I haven't used enough of what's left to justify keeping it any longer.

I don't use my punches very often either, so it's probably time to "rehome" most of them.

I like both ideas of setting the timer for 10 minutes and starting in an area other than my studio. My shoe bin needs some attention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Robin, you reminded me to go to the on-line decluttering/organizing class I took, to see if I set my timer for 5 or 10 minutes. It was 5! More time meant pressure/anxiety. You can leaf through a lot in 5 minutes. And of course getting started was the real kicker. I usually worked much longer. But 5 minutes equalled success.

I noticed the same company offers an "organize your creative space" class. Their classes were wonderful, and included membership in a forum. I'm don't think the format is the same, but if interested, here's their URL. (I'm a big fan of their last team member.) simplify 101 team

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

My office has transitioned to a craft room/office, and it's a mess: boxes of office stuff even in the hallway, thousands of paper paint samples, give-aways, tons of books, just STUFF. I'm not sure what to keep as I semi-retire but keep my hand in.

But I think I will gear up for the 5 for 5 approach. (5 minutes/5 days.) And maybe enroll in that class for the inspirational checklists and videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently I had to move my stamping stuff out of my family room so my husband could have some space for his paper work stuff (for our family). Everything was boxed up. No order to it. It now sits in my basement. What's surprising is I don't miss any of it. It will make donating again to my friend's niece much easier. No tears as I carry the stuff out the door. I now have to commit to a specific date for the Purging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post
Thank you! This is another of my big hold backs, I spent $ how can I get rid of it?
You could try selling via some of the active Facebook scrap and stamp sale pages. Here are just a few to think of:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScrapbookDeals/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1090253147653827/
Clear Stamp Addict's Craft Room Destash

There are a bunch more like this, but I don't dare join any more of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

OMG!! That is SO funny, I am still laughing!! Thanks for that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

It tickled me as well.

Now where is that bra?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

Some days, my husband is lucky I don't follow that method- he'd be in serious danger.

Reply With Quote Likes