Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paper Organization

This may have been discussed somewhere else but I having a hard time deciding how to organize my cardstock. I mostly have SU paper. I have the paper in magazine holders by color family because that is how my demo does it. But I can not always remember which family all the colors are in. I was thinking of organizing them by colors (reds, greens, blues, neutrals) Does anyone have any ideas. I found these really cool containers at the Container Store I want to move the paper to. They are wider so more packs will fit.

Thanks
Rebecca
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I store mine by the color family that the companies set up. I use CTMH mainly and storing by the grouping they do makes it easy for me. I store my matching inkpads the same way.

Usually the grouping the companies use puts bolds, pastels, deep rich in the catagories. If I want pastels, I just pull that grouping.

Hope that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I found two plastic storage holders that have a hanging file section on the bottoms. I then separated my cardstock (su) into their color groups and put two families in each drawer. That way I can put the scraps in front of the color and use those first. I find having them in color families helps me to match them up easier.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok here is what I came up with. I went with the color families. I cut the color swatches from an old catalog and taped it on the front. Now I know what color is in each family. So here is another question for anyone...do you leave your paper in the cellophane or take it out?
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Organization-paper.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmcavanaughView Post
Ok here is what I came up with. I went with the color families. I cut the color swatches from an old catalog and taped it on the front. Now I know what color is in each family. So here is another question for anyone...do you leave your paper in the cellophane or take it out?
This looks great! I take my families out of the wrapping and put each color together. I leave the wrapping on the single color packs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 184 Likes on 152 Posts

I put my paper alphabetically since I couldn't remember which colors went with which color family. I had them in a file folder with the name on it in a file drawer. Someone gave me a rack that holds paper so I'm currently using that. I store my scraps in the back of each color as well, so when I need real red paper, I can get scraps and full sheets from the same folder.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I store my SU papers by color reds, blues, etc. with most of them in the cellophane wrapper. I have a paper holder so they lay flat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

I have my SU sorted by color family, in letter racks. I put 12 x 12 under the 8 1/2 x 11, and keep the scraps on top. I am fortunate to have enough room, as this is quite spread out, in 3 book shelves with misc. papers taking the room of two 12 stacks. Hard to explain, but the stacks of letter racks are like used in offices, and they are twelve high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I do my cardstock in vertical paper holders by color. All patterned paper is sorted by manfacturer in hanging folders. It's working for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Smile Storage Solutions

Quote:

This is awesome! Where did you find the holders and are they magazine holders made out of plastic?

Thanks,
Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

what a great idea Gale, I should do that, and we can hide how much paper we really have lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

You know, the first thing I always do when I get new paper is take it out of the plastic. Now, I wish I hadn't. I have one of the tall paper holders I got from Michael's, reg price $49.99 and I got it for half. It came with a cover but I don't usually keep it on because it's aggravating to take on & off when I need paper. Now I wish I'd just kept the paper in the plastic and I wouldn't have to worry about it getting dusty or fading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I store my CS by color as well...I only have labeled PTI and SU...but I file it in wooden mag files from Ikea laying on their backs, so it's easy to pull a piece out of the shelving without a big hassle. Unopened packs are stashed in a cupboard until I run out of that color in the files.

Here is a fuzzy pic from my blog:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ov8nZFACag...h/IMG_2095.JPG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcrotonView Post
This is awesome! Where did you find the holders and are they magazine holders made out of plastic?

Thanks,
Kate
I actually got them at the Container Store. It is called a Multi-purpose bin. They are on sale right now. The size I got was just $3. There is a smaller one the same size as a magazine holder and a bigger one that is a couple inches wider than the ones I got. I actually looked online at the website and they have them there too but I didn't feel like paying the shipping, but if you do not have one close that's an option.

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I dont' have a lot of regular card stock, i'm working on that lol. I just hit a nice sale from a travelling gal got 12x12 DP for .25 a piece!!! I about flipped. so i sorted by pastel, brights, muted and so forth, then I went to my brother-in-laws store and confiscated a few UPS shipping boxes 13X18 size, they are perfect and don't take up much room and I left one flap on the front so I can push it down so they dont' get dusty! Free storage, gotta love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

My wonderful husband made me file drawers in my craft cabinet for all my cardstock-SU.

I store my CS alphabetically.

I use one 12x12 file folders for each color. I keep all my cardstock sizes together.
Example: Always Artichoke-12x12, 8 1/2x11 & scraps. My scraps are stored in the back of the folder in clear photo sheets - there are 3 compartments in each sheet - this way I do NOT keep lots of useless sizes of scrap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberkiwiView Post
My wonderful husband made me file drawers in my craft cabinet for all my cardstock-SU.

I store my CS alphabetically.

I use one 12x12 file folders for each color. I keep all my cardstock sizes together.
Example: Always Artichoke-12x12, 8 1/2x11 & scraps. My scraps are stored in the back of the folder in clear photo sheets - there are 3 compartments in each sheet - this way I do NOT keep lots of useless sizes of scrap!
Where did you get your 12 x 12 file folders? I went to Joann's today and they had a pack of 3 for $6.99! That is ridiculous!!! You would think with all of us stampers/scrappers Pendaflex or HON would come up with folders and cabinets to accomodate our special needs. I am currently converting my large stash into file folders which I am storing by SU color family. All my paper was exposed and now have fading on the edges. I bought this desk at Goodwill that will store all the letter sized paper fine but not the larger sheets. I am looking for an inexpensive and convenient way to store the larger sheets. At the moment I have the plastic 12x12 holders that I will eventually get rid of. I love to read this forum and hear how all of you are dealing with your supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I only use Stampin Up card stock. I have storage cubes lined up on my wall. I put 3 colors to a shelf and keep color families together. I used a labeler to label the shelves. I also used an old catalog and removed the color families with the order numbers, laminated them and put them on one of the shelves per color family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also have one of those tall paper holders from a craft store that has the fabric cover. I got mine at AC Moore and do not use the cover. I keep it in a closet. The most important thing is to keep paper out of the light.

My paper is organized by color family. I keep 3 or 4 colors together in those 12x12 clear storage envelopes. I like to save all the scraps so smaller pieces stay together this way. The envelopes fit nicely in the storage rack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

My 8.5x11 is stored much like Gail's - reds with reds, blues with blues, etc. I use a 2 drawer filing Iris cart to keep them in. I don't have to try to remember what family a color is in, and can quickly decide which purple I want. Because the cart is closed, I don't have to worry about fading or dust, so they're not in wrappers. I also buy whole packs of a single color when I run low (I started with a package of each color famil to see what I'd use most) and there is plenty of room in there for that much paper.

The best thing I found was a package of labels for the folders with each one printed on the actual paper. They read:

SU COLOR NAME
Color Family
8.5x11# 12x12#

My 12x12 (I don't use it very often) is just in flat stackers on the coutnertop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use SU's paper holders, I have 5 of them. I keep their color sets together in larger zip lock bags and the individual color packs by families (greens, pinks, neutrals, etc). Those I keep in the original plastic wrapping and trim off the tops to make a sleeve of sorts. They all live on a shelf near my work area. Scraps go into sandwich bags by color and filed in a drawer.
I don't have enough stuff to forget where things are. Yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

This may have been discussed somewhere else but I having a hard time deciding how to organize my cardstock. I mostly have SU paper. I have the paper in magazine holders by color family because that is how my demo does it. But I can not always remember which family all the colors are in. I was thinking of organizing them by colors (reds, greens, blues, neutrals) Does anyone have any ideas. I found these really cool containers at the Container Store I want to move the paper to. They are wider so more packs will fit.

Thanks
Rebecca
I found a way to store my paper within their color family, because I can't always remember either. I took an old SU catalog and cut out the page that has the paper colors on it, cut them by category, Soft Subtles, Rich Regals, Earth Elements and Bold Brights, then I used my Xyron to laminate them. I then put my laminated color family with my cardstock. Its easy when it comes time to order new card stock or other items as well because you have the order numbers right there. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

i have been storing my 8 1/2" x 11" SU cardstock in a 24 slot letter sorter. (2 colors in 1 slot) by color families. i have just purchased a second one so all 48 colors in the color families have their own slot. My in colors are in a rolling cart with hanging files. I purchased the letter sorters at office max. this second one i bought was $50 at office max...i didn't really shop around for prices on this item, because i knew they had them and i was ordering something else from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have GOT to take a pic of my paper storage. I'm all SU and I use a pink milk crate type storage thing I got at wal mart. (Sadly I can't find the pink ones anymore, boooo). Anyway I have two of them and they sit next to my desk (I like that I can move them or put them somewhere else if I want.) I used them in my apartment because I was short on space and could get it out then put it up when done.

Now, I have two stacked (which is the perfect height to grab and go while stamping) and my excess and retired colors are in the bottom crate and then my current CS is in hanging file folders in the top one. I have them arranged in the color collections with neutrals in the front since I usually reach for those first. I also keep quarter and half sheets in the front of each folder and then smaller scraps go in a folder that has all the colors of the collection thrown together.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

The container store had them on deep discount several years ago, as they were not going to carry them all. They are expensive otherwise. Check a few sites on line maybe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Love this! First, where did you get the boxes? Second, how do you store your 12x12 paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by guille1956View Post
Where did you get your 12 x 12 file folders? I went to Joann's today and they had a pack of 3 for $6.99! That is ridiculous!!! You would think with all of us stampers/scrappers Pendaflex or HON would come up with folders and cabinets to accomodate our special needs. I am currently converting my large stash into file folders which I am storing by SU color family. All my paper was exposed and now have fading on the edges. I bought this desk at Goodwill that will store all the letter sized paper fine but not the larger sheets. I am looking for an inexpensive and convenient way to store the larger sheets. At the moment I have the plastic 12x12 holders that I will eventually get rid of. I love to read this forum and hear how all of you are dealing with your supplies.
The problem with Pentaflex (or cardboard boxes) is that they are not acid free. Most 12x12 paper is used for scrapbooking, so that is a critical issue. I agree with you about the price (which is why I have never bought those holders) but that's the whole dilemma for me--keeping it archival as well as usable. Right now I have those cheap plastic 12x12 folders, one for each color family, stored in a shelf that's sitting on its side (so the opening faces up instead of sideways, and then the folders are upright, not stacked on top of each other). I also use any clear plastic bag or pouch I get from paper purchases at the LSS, for the ones that aren't stored by color. I'd really like one of those 12x12 carts with hanging folders but I can't spend that much on storage!

ETA I forgot to mention, I keep everything in the plastic they come in, to help hold scraps in. I keep them by color family if I bought them that way--and I have an index of all of the families so I know where to find it right away (the index is the same as the one used for Prismacolor pencils--I indexed everything on that sheet, a 1/2" circle punch of paper, a swatch of the matching Copic, marker, pencil, etc.). If I buy a full pack of a certain color, I keep it with my regular storage by color family...

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln

Last edited by nottoocreative; 05-25-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy 12x12 hanging folders at www.ritzcamera.com. 6 folders for $9.94. These are Advantus Cropper Hopper folders and are acid free. Check out the Organization section of their Crafts and Scrapbooking page.

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I used to worry about acid free folders but I don't anymore. I have enough other things to worry about-I can't imagine it's more than a minute amount that would be leached. I have stuff I made as a kid with obviously NOT acid free paper and it may be faded but otherwise looks the same as it did back then.
Really?! MY stuff from when I was a kid looks awful (the pictures, I mean). Totally yellowed. That's from the lignin and from the acid. It's more than you think if you are storing it in something that is not acid free...but, to each his own, right!?

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahj60View Post
You can buy 12x12 hanging folders at www.ritzcamera.com. 6 folders for $9.94. These are Advantus Cropper Hopper folders and are acid free. Check out the Organization section of their Crafts and Scrapbooking page.

Sarah
That's a good price...but where do you hang them?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

Wonderful ideas for good paper sheet storage.... But I need help with scraps ! ! I just can't dump them when I finish a project, but finding a tiny bit in a color I need is tough. Any thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

I keep my scraps in a gallon size plastic bag. I then keep it on the shelf with that color of paper. I wrote the name of the color on the baggie, since some colors are similar. I have the wire paper storage shelves that I got at Hobby Lobby. I keep each color on its own shelf and I put 12 x12 textured, 12x12, 8 1/2x11 and then my scrap baggie on 1 shelf. I used the little rectangle strips of color with the name on it from the back of the Stampin Up catalog and I cut each one out and laminated it and have it sticky stripped to the shelf. I have just done this recently so I have room for the new colors and new in colors too.

I have all my ink pads and paper by ROYGBIV arrangement...accessories are next to do this to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I organize all of my SU cardstock alphabetically, because I can remember the names of the colors and if I'm doing a color challenge or something that's how it's referenced. I cannot hold in my Odd Brain which color is in which group, and they're switching them all around in a month or two, anyway, so that just works best for me.

All of my other cardstocks (DCWV, CTMH, unknown) are separated into their group by manufacturer, then by color, prism style (red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple, with reds transitioning into pinks into peach into orange, for example...) Neutrals from light to dark at the front of the section for that manufacturer. The 12" x 12" cardstock is in a JetMax file drawer, the 8 1/2" x 11" in a regular file drawer in my desk. No chance of fading, since they're in the dark all the time, and NOTHING is in cellophane - too much trouble to get at what I need!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subbing this thread. Love all the storage ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes