Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

Sandy - fabulous organizing. I'm going to make a catalogue of mine, but just by subject (trees, flowers, etc.) as I don't need it by brand (but will put a note saying what set a certain image or sentiment came from) - and I'm going to use your method - love the sheets in the page protectors and all in a big binder. Thanks for all the explanations. And thanks for the encouragement that it really doesn't take that long to do.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, now that's some beautiful organization!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Sandy--O and bjeans, I've been doing something similar for over 25 years. I don't use page protectors but use a 3-hole punch on the typing paper. I don't have a separate page for each company, but I do stamp the entire set first and then stamp individual images in whatever other categories they need to go in. I hand write the name of the company and the set name. I also have a 4" binder for most of my stamps and a 3" binder for all holiday type stamps: Valentine, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. My Christmas stamp images alone could fill a binder! I started doing this when I first started stamping and new stamps don't get put away until they've been entered into the binder. This has made it so easy for me to find exactly what I need by just going through the binder. So glad to know that others are doing the same thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Inky Paws (04-26-2022)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree that Sandy's system is awesome, but I have a devil's advocate addition to the thread:

IF you are one who purges periodically (or often, like myself) AND you're OCD (or CDO, even - put them in alphabetical, order, please) THEN having multiple sets on a page may irritate you no end when the set is gone/mostly gone/whatever. I reduce the pic of the set to trading card size (2 1/2" x 3 1/2") and put the cards in trading card pages in a binder (by manufacturer, roughly alphabetical: Avery Elle, Cat's Pajamas, Flourishes, Hampton Art, etc...) If/when I purge a stamp, I use a pink highlighter to "cross out" that particular image (I may want to know what used to be there). If the whole set gets purged, I take the card out.

Because I want to see "actual size" and because I usually search by category rather than manufacturer when I actually stamp, I have other binders by category with the image stamped full-size on the cards and with the stamp itself in the same pocket on laminated cardstock (all of my stamps are unmounted or photopolymer). I write the manufacturer and stamp set name on the card to cross-reference with the main index binder.

The category binders have gone through several iterations, but currently I have 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" binders and the corresponding page protectors that I have sewn to make pockets. Most are four pockets to a page, but I also have half pages for larger stamps and full pages for background stamps and long borders.

So far it's working very well. I can find any stamp I own very quickly and it's easy to add or subtract cards/pages as needed...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 04-19-2019 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Cleanup...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

AND you're OCD (or CDO, even - put them in alphabetical, order, please)”

!!

My CDOness would mean covering the “gone” set image with copy paper and re-copying the page when substituting a new set. Or maybe I’d put an aqua X through it to prove I’m a stamper and a purger, and aqua because, well, aqua. And to remind myself I didn’t use that stamp for two years so I do not have to buy it again.

Cards in pockets in binders would violate my non-bulk rule, and everything would be full size, otherwise I’d have to look in multiple places when judging scale/size.

Plastic index sheets in a couple sets I’ve tried have copied well. I’ll need to decide how to do the single stamps by category: 1) cut up a copied index sheet, tape down images and when a category page is full copy it so I don’t have flappy images, or 2) actually stamp every dang stamp.

Stamp sets have only been broken up a few times - when I like one stamp out of a set and donate the set away minus that one, which hasn’t been the focal stamp(s).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

I've commented before on my system of putting the name of the set on the end of the wooden block and storing them by theme. I don't keep a paper copy of sets after I break up sets by theme, rather I use the index here and put them in a file on my computer. In that same file, I put the pictures and instructions (if I have them) for all cards I see that inspire me using that set. I repeat that under each heading (theme) that has a stamp in that set. I even do that for sets I don't have, but that I have something similar that I could use. The sets I own get an * so I know that's one I have. Much easier to store, find, add or delete. Since my computer is a MacBook Air, it easily goes with me. I can work on files in an airplane if need be or anywhere while away from home and it takes up very little space in my stamp room, if that's where it happens to find itself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy--OView Post

Dies that are not from SU, I get the pics online and print out. SU dies I cut pic from a catalog sometimes. I also have punched out images from the punches.
Nice job!

Very similar to my system only I'm too lazy to stamp any of it, lol. I'm just copying the photo of the sets from the 'net and pasting them into the corresponding categories (brand and subject).

I'm using a legal size binder with protectors and getting 6 images a page (sometimes more) and putting them back-to-back in the protectors.

I'm not finished yet but its proven to be very helpful already when making cards/projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
AND you're OCD (or CDO, even - put them in alphabetical, order, please)”

!!

My CDOness would mean covering the “gone” set image with copy paper and re-copying the page when substituting a new set. Or maybe I’d put an aqua X through it to prove I’m a stamper and a purger, and aqua because, well, aqua. And to remind myself I didn’t use that stamp for two years so I do not have to buy it again.

Cards in pockets in binders would violate my non-bulk rule, and everything would be full size, otherwise I’d have to look in multiple places when judging scale/size.

Plastic index sheets in a couple sets I’ve tried have copied well. I’ll need to decide how to do the single stamps by category: 1) cut up a copied index sheet, tape down images and when a category page is full copy it so I don’t have flappy images, or 2) actually stamp every dang stamp.

Stamp sets have only been broken up a few times - when I like one stamp out of a set and donate the set away minus that one, which hasn’t been the focal stamp(s).
The reason I have the smaller binders with the images (or sentiments) stamped full-size and with the stamp right there with it is so I DON'T have to look multiple places for anything. I only refer to the reduced-size binder if I'm looking for a particular set or want to know what goes with the stamp I'm using (as far as original set). Every stamp set I have is broken up except "builder" sets, and stored by category.

When I first started this organizing/indexing thing I was cutting up pages and gluing them to other pages and it quickly became a nightmare and way too much work, so I have "actually stamped every dang stamp" - multiple times now, since I've purged/rearranged multiple times...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

With your breaking up sets that makes complete sense. (I almost typed that makes complete sets. :rolleyes I don’t break up sets so would have sheets of full sets (mostly from index sheets?) plus category pages.

And flimsy. Hard binders banned partly bc of weight and partly for the same reason hinged boxes aren’t allowed unless tiny (take up double the space when open). Just a ring on top corners near my stamps.

Agree, I wouldn’t glue paper on paper - or sew (am allergic; don’t own a sewing machine) or anything fancy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to keep my sets together, & I use a combination of DVD cases and Avery Elle envelope storage pockets (though I think I'll switch to Ellen Hudson ones--they seem sturdier).

Question: what about larger sets? I am afraid I'll have to start a "large sets" area. I've done that with dies--while my preference is to keep the dies with the coordinating stamp set (when applicable), I do have some that are too big/too plentiful and I note them on my spreadsheet as being located in "large die storage." I was hoping to avoid a "large stamp sets" storage, but I have several sets that are too big for the DVD cases/AE pockets--some are even a full page (approx. 8x10").

So...if you keep your sets together, how do you store the large sets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Is it that individual stamps are too large or that there are too many stamps in the set? If it is the latter, can you store them in two (or three) of the same size containers and mark them 1,2,3 or A,B,C? That way you would cut down on a separate section. Maybe you could even do that with the dies you have, unless, of course it is the size of individual dies that requires different storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are too many in the set. I've considered cutting them & repackaging...I just hate to do it. Have any of you done that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Not sure why you would have to cut anything. If you had two containers for one stamp set, some would go in one and some would go in the other. I do this all the time. Often, I try to keep like ones together in the groupings. If it is flowers, leaves, butterflies and birds (for instance) in the set, I might keep the flowers and leaves together and the butterflies and birds together. It's all preference, but I for one would rather have one place to go (even if it is two or three containers) than two different places (large sets/small sets). I don't keep any kind of spread sheets, like the truly organized, so that's why I prefer to have like things together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnsyrView Post
There are too many in the set. I've considered cutting them & repackaging...I just hate to do it. Have any of you done that?

Yes. The first time I had to take a breath! If it’s a multi-stamp set but overly large (aka too wide) for the pocket and containers where most stamps live, I sometimes cut the set on the index sheet so it will fit in the pocket, because I want all tree stamp sets, for example, to be together. But you have to be comfortable!

But huge single stamps that are too large for the regular pocket - like some background stamps - are in a wider container in extra large pockets (Avery Elle also).

That doesn’t bother me because those aren’t stamp *sets*. They’re single, super-sized stamps that I think about differently than smaller stamps in a set.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 08-19-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so glad I came upon this information for organizing my stamps. I have been wanting to do this for quite a while now. I think this might be a good fit for me. Thank you for sharing and I really liked seeing the pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #56  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

Yeah, I really need to catalog what I have, so I can remember them all!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #57  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Yes. The first time I had to take a breath! If it’s a multi-stamp set but overly large (aka too wide) for the pocket and containers where most stamps live, I sometimes cut the set on the index sheet so it will fit in the pocket, because I want all tree stamp sets, for example, to be together. But you have to be comfortable!

But huge single stamps that are too large for the regular pocket - like some background stamps - are in a wider container in extra large pockets (Avery Elle also).

That doesn’t bother me because those aren’t stamp *sets*. They’re single, super-sized stamps that I think about differently than smaller stamps in a set.

Beth
I can not bring myself to cut any sets apart! Thus far, I’ve been able to find pockets large enough to store what I have. I also use wider containers to put oversized/background stamps in. I have been working on getting everything in Evernote (which I love) and I am close to 75% done! Reading this thread makes me motivated to tackle the remaining 25%! Next up... embossing folders and stencils!!!

“Creativity is intelligence having fun.” -Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help organizing stamps dies and embossing folders

I love the indexing in binders by category. However how does that help you find the item you are looking for? I starting organizing into binders stamped in front with the stamps behind the page but the 12 inch binders are too heavy to take off shelf and flip through all the time. I would love to keep the index but put stamps and dies together somehow in a place where I could use the index to find them easily. I have so many! And so many not put away at all because I gave up after weeks of attempting to organize. I have dies on several ikea cd shelves lining one of my hallways except for the oversized pro dies. Looks organized but can’t find anything! Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Organize your stamps (dies, EF, etc) by the same system as they are organized in your binders. I don't have binders, but all my stamps, etc. are organized by theme. All butterflies, for example, are boxed together, in as many boxes as needed and kept together in a space with dragonflies, reptiles, birds and all other animals. Then flowers are done the same way. It requires that you separate stamps from sets and keep them together by theme instead, but that sounds like what you are doing in your binders anyway. I do write the name of the stamp set (if applicable) on each stamp, so I know where it came from. I just go to the area for what I want to use---right now I'm working on snowflake cards, which are all together in two large cases and housed in the same drawer with other weather things as well as suns, moons, stars, water, clouds, sand, mountains---and take out what I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you jeanne. The problem is I have them on 12x12 acetate in binders and stamped on the front on paper. I would need to keep all of those stamps together to be able to use the index page. Then I will have the same problem with them being to heavy to lift. I do try to keep sets together and put them in the category that fits them best. If there is a heart stamp in an animal set so be it. I figure I have plenty of hearts in the valentine/ heart love section. Eventually would like to do all dies stamps and embossing folders on my computer and there I can put that “lonely heart” from my animal set in the heart category but need to figure out how to reference it to where it is. That is my biggest problem
Reply With Quote Likes