Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nervous! Recollection storage

With the huge sale at Michaels for blackfriday I plan to buy a lot of recollections storage. I am nervous that I wont like, but it has to be better than boxed up.

With the discounts the pieces would be roughly 12$ each. I'm just scared. I plan to buy about 12 pieces. I went and looked at them today.

Right now my main storage need is for embellishments, stamps, inks, and paper. I only have 3 sets of dies. And a few momento dew drops, but I can see this growing.

I am making a shelf because I plan on buying some lindy sprays. What configurations are yall using and are yall happy with recollections?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I love the mini cube boxes. It took me awhile to get all the boxes for my craft table as I bought them each with a 50% off coupon. I like how accessible everything is now that they are all set up. I plan on getting some of the magnetic cards from Stamp'n Storage to put in one of the slots for my SU framelits.
Attached Thumbnails
Nervous! Recollection storage-image.jpg  

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
I love the mini cube boxes. It took me awhile to get all the boxes for my craft table as I bought them each with a 50% off coupon. I like how accessible everything is now that they are all set up. I plan on getting some of the magnetic cards from Stamp'n Storage to put in one of the slots for my SU framelits.
Are these on your desktop?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

That is a 3ft x 6ft table that I use for my work surface. It's an old boardroom table that I got from my brother. It works great because it's quite sturdy and large enough to have all my cubes plus lots of work surface.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Btw my table does NOT look like that today! I can barely see my craft mat its so full of stuff. I'm making my samples for my Stamp-a-stack and my December club. I wish it looked this neat and tidy all the time.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a lovely set up, wish there was a Michaels here! Thanks for sharing your creative space

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Are you close to your Michael's? You can return them if the setup is going to be a nightmare. Sometimes you just have to bring this stuff home to see if it works or not.

I don't want to sound like one of those be careful ladies. I had several friends get the Recollections storage for paper and the ones holding the paper the shelves collapsed badly. That left a lasting impression on me. When I needed shelves for my paper I had my husband build them. I knew if he built them an elephant could set on the shelves and nothing would collapse.

The other Recollections things are really nice. I don't use them in my room but my husband does in his room. The spinner is really nice. The little drawer holders are to die for.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the cubes are fine, except for the file folder drawer that holds 12x12. don't waste your money on that one.
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 04:19 AM   #9  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I have a lot of the recollections cubes; they are my main storage for my arts and crafts supplies. I have the cubes in various configurations, and love them all. I plan on getting even more. I bought them based on recommendations here on SCS and I could not be happier! They look lovely and they are serving me well.

I have not had any cubes collapse or even come close - my cubes are still all very sturdy. That said, something that I do that I think helps with stability is how you configure the assembled cubes. I have columns of cubes stacked up against each other - at least 2 columns of cubes wide by up to 4 cubes high. I put wood shims under the cubes that are in contact with the floor (my cubes all sit on carpeted floors) to ensure they are level so that they don't topple over. I think these things help the cubes to 'support' each other.

I have only had one issue to date that, IMO, is ENTIRELY my fault. I put WAYYYY too much weight in a few of the drawers and the front of two of the drawers 'pulled off' when I tried to open the drawer - my bad. I'm talking filling a drawer with bags of sea glass LOL and DOH!!!

I have to remind myself that these cubes are made of particle board....

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 11-24-2014 at 04:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Recollections storage ideas

Hello, my first time posting here but I know how you feel about the storage issue. I waiting for ages before I finally did buy some of those cubes. At the time, they were made by Jetmax but I guess Michaels has the generic ones now like everything else.
I have 14 of them. I do not store paper in them except for a couple of paper packs, that it all. I have two of the file cabinet ones and they are terrific for organizing. I have a couple of them with the two drawers with the paper spot above and they are great for stamp sets and embossing folders and I keep my paper trimmer and stamp cleaner above.
They are good for storing stamp pads as you just open a drawer and there they all are instead of searching through boxes. Not the best for embellishments though. I have buttons and brads and things in those little glass jars from IKEA and I need some sort of long shelf so I can see them all. I store all my pattern paper and cardstock in Iris containers labelled by colour and they are on the bottom shelf of an IKEA bookcase, easy to see and use.
Hope this helps. Took ages to finally sort out my craft room but now it works well. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBinPaView Post
Most of the cubes are fine, except for the file folder drawer that holds 12x12. don't waste your money on that one.
K
I agree! I have two and I can't get them to open easily when they are even half full.

There must be somebody out there who can help me get these 12"x12" file folder drawers to work properly!

Thanks in advance!

(I have other cubes and love them, just not the file folder drawer!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have over 30 of these cubes and love them. The paper ones I have turned so the paper is in them up and down (not across). The 4 drawer and 3 drawer are my favorite ones. I wish they sold the drawer dividers separately-those work great for ink refills, stickles, etc. The drawers hold up very well.

The ones pictured above are the mini cubes, except the middle one - which is a desktop marker holder (or something like that). They are half as deep as the large, and about 1 quarter of the size length and width. HTH
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all the help! Under normal circumstances I would start with a few pieces, but the sale is going to make me break that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

What did you get?

"Yet dawn is ever the hope of men." Aragorn in The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

So Excited. I spent the better part of the weekend putting all those cubes together. Never put any type of anything together lol. After the first 2 it was easier.

I had to make two trips and get two baskets full. I had no furniture pretty much in the craft room and everything was still in boxes.

I purchased 6 cubes. The 2 drawer cubes and the 3 drawer cubes. I was missing the side of one of the shelves on the 3 drawer cubes. I didn't take it back because it was at the end when I realized it and they told me to bring the whole thing back.

I also bought the tall mobile tower and the mobile craft storage center. I think this will be enough to get started. I will take pics once set up.

I bought a table from ikea and now realize I need two to run the length of the wall. I got a brand new 32in tv from the department store for free! It seems too large for the craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leona2025View Post
So Excited. I spent the better part of the weekend putting all those cubes together. Never put any type of anything together lol. After the first 2 it was easier.

I had to make two trips and get two baskets full. I had no furniture pretty much in the craft room and everything was still in boxes.

I purchased 6 cubes. The 2 drawer cubes and the 3 drawer cubes. I was missing the side of one of the shelves on the 3 drawer cubes. I didn't take it back because it was at the end when I realized it and they told me to bring the whole thing back.

I also bought the tall mobile tower and the mobile craft storage center. I think this will be enough to get started. I will take pics once set up.

I bought a table from ikea and now realize I need two to run the length of the wall. I got a brand new 32in tv from the department store for free! It seems too large for the craft room.
If you contact the company they will send you the missing piece! My mom once bought an entertainment center and a shelf was missing. She contacted the company and they just needed to know which piece was missing....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Do the recollections 12x12 cubes fit in the ikea cubes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 04:42 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a lot of these and I love them. I've had them for a long time, and they've held up very nicely. I also had the 12 x 12 file drawer, and it was useless. It was half full and didn't open/close properly. It wasn't made to withstand the weight -- eventually, the whole front panel pulled off!

It seems like I'm constantly rearranging the cubes to better suit my needs. I stack mostly only 2 high so that it makes an extra work space for me. I also put all of my bottom cubes on wheels so I can move them easily when need be (like when I'm rearranging AGAIN) and also to get behind them if any drops, etc.

Good luck, and ENJOY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I will post a picture when finished. I miscounted my cubes. I have them stacked 2 high. That is a good height for me. The sorting is killer!

Trying to decide where to put everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

I will post a picture when finished. I miscounted my cubes. I have them stacked 2 high. That is a good height for me. The sorting is killer!

What a fun task! I know what you mean about the sorting and trying to figure out where everything will go. That seems to task my brain the most, but oh, how wonderful your room will be after it's all organized and pretty!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

I am so jealous of some of the great stuff you guys can get and the prices. Even when things aren't on special it is often so much better than here in Australia. I would love some of those boxes for my room and on special like that, I know I wouldn't be able to resist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
When I needed shelves for my paper I had my husband build them. I knew if he built them an elephant could set on the shelves and nothing would collapse.
ROFLMAO

I often say "Tim the tool man is alive and well and living in our town" when my husband builds something. He tends to over-engineer things too.

Sometimes though, that is a good thing. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I have 10 cubes that I have used for almost 8 years. I have moved them several times inside my house & once o my craft building. Usually I have them 3 or 4 high. Now they are two high in a closet with my ScrapRack on them. Just bought several more for my craft room. I will be moving them out of the closet & put shelving in there b/c I want my ScrapRack to be more accessible.

oleladyHo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Nervous! Recollection storage-board.jpg

I have also purchased their magnetic boards with magnetic cases and love it. These are great for embellishments. Here it is used for makeup; but, the larger round tins are the containers you can also purchase for embellishments, buttons and anything that fits. I have two boards and they hold 16 tins

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

we would love to see pictures

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity_StamperView Post
Do the recollections 12x12 cubes fit in the ikea cubes?
No, they do not. The squares are the same size. A recollections cube would fit nicely on top of an ikea cube.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I will post pictures this weekend. My room is a disaster right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #27  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

This was the hardest part for me! And as I use the cubes, some of my original plan as far as where to put things still works and some does not still work - trial and error - so don't be hard on yourself if you have to switch a few things around later down the road.

It's kind of like planning a new garden - you research and get advice and plant and THEN you find out what worked and what didn't LOL and you move some of your plants around (ask me how I know haha).

I hope you like the cubes as much as the rest of us who use them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have 24 cubes in my stamp room. I put them 2 high and 4 across and hubby got some counter top to sit on top. I love it. There is another spot where he put counter top over three iris carts for more counter space. I love the cubes they are great. I have 12 x 12 paper in most but some are the 4 drawers to a cube and have embellishments in them.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Ok Here is my room so far. I can use a few more cubes. I haven't decorated yet. The tables are from Ikea and they are the perfect size. I have plenty of space, but I still tend to work in one small area:confused: and I don't know why. It's my favorite spot.

The tv I got for free on Black Friday!The room would look so much better if I painted the walls, but I don't own this house.

Nervous! Recollection storage-2014-12-30-09.29.58.jpg

Nervous! Recollection storage-2014-12-30-09.30.17.jpg

Nervous! Recollection storage-2014-12-30-09.30.44.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 AM   #30  
Glitter Queen

I love the Recollections organizing cubes. I have a lot of them and have been very happy with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

My room is so bare, but once I start decorating it will come around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I have been using these cubes for years. I like the fact that they can be rearranged, and that you can don't have to buy them all at one time and can get them on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes