Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal die storage question -- Ikea magnetic board

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to store my metal dies (eg. thinlits).
I find that I will use them if I see them.
If I've purchased a bundle, I try to keep them with the stamps. But I have some that don't have stamps and not sure what to do with those.

So, I'm thinking about hanging this:
SPONTAN Magnetic board - IKEA

Anyone have this? Likes/dislikes?

TIA.
Julie B.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great idea. I had an idea to hang cookie sheets and use magnets to hold my dies. But this is bigger and cheaper than a cookie sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that's a super smart way to store metal dies out in the open. I had to do the same with my punches (resting on Ikea racks that I attached to a pegboard). I found that out of sight meant out of mind and never used.

I have only a handful of the thin metal dies. I keep mine in one of those ArtBin boxes with the magnetic pages. For now, it suits my purpose. But I might get one of the smaller magnetic boards for the dies that I use most often: IKEA PS 2014 Magnetic board - IKEA

Thank you for the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have concerns with tiny dies going missing you could put the die set inside a baggie and it should still cling to the magnet.

I like to put my dies on a magnetic sheet and put that inside an Avery Elle pocket. If there is a matching stamp set they both go inside the pocket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I'm not sure if the board is a magnet, only that magnets stick to it which wouldn't work for this. I would love to know if it does though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I do believe you're right, Leeann34. It should be called a magnet board, not a magnetic board. I took a look at the smaller one and it says it comes with four magnets ... and who would buy magnets for a board that's magnetic?

I wonder how many people have purchased a magnetic board and been disappointed? Ikea needs to update their product name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeann34View Post
I'm not sure if the board is a magnet, only that magnets stick to it which wouldn't work for this. I would love to know if it does though.
I have one in my kitchen for note and grandbabies photos, I will see if my dies will stick. I think it maybe just a metal piece that magnets stick too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 04:33 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

After reading how non magnetic that Ikea thing is I wonder if going to your local sheet metal shop and have them cut the size you want?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I have one of these Ikea boards. It is metal but not magnetic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
After reading how non magnetic that Ikea thing is I wonder if going to your local sheet metal shop and have them cut the size you want?
A plain metal sheet wouldn't work to hold dies because the dies are not magnetic and wouldn't stick to the sheet.

I store my dies in a very inexpensive way, but it doesn't look pretty or cute, lol. I cut cardboard squares and put 3 strips of self-adhesive magnetic tape on the squares. Then my dies attach nicely to the squares. I keep the squares standing in one of those plastic shoe box bins and can just flip through to find the ones I want.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I went to the goodwill this weekend and bought a gorgeous frame...didn't like the picture. Painted it to match my craft room and then got these at Walmart. Carefully layered them to make a completely flat but magnet surface. It is now hanging in my craft room. I am so happy with my DIY! and it is functional!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

The Ikea isn't magnetic either? Don't they need magnets too? I am thinking buy a pkg. of magnets and some sheet metal. It might be cheaper and you can get a size you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

The thing that popped out at me about that OP pic was it is over a radiator. I would not keep my dies over one of those.

I cant do that out in the open thing. I would have dies all over the floor...brushing against it, etc. I also find the dies warp a bit over time/use and then dont stick well but will still cut. (I had mine on mag pages in binders) Third, not all dies are made of the same metal and some stick better than others. I am looking at going to the clear envie in a box idea with a piece of mag page. I just dont want to spend a lot and have to resist a big box because that will be too heavy to move around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

I too started using the Avery Elle envelopes for my dies on magnet sheets. I went to Home Depot and got a couple packages of magnetic vent covers. These packages had 3 sheets each and are good sized. It is easy to cut so I cut it to size for the dies/envelopes. if a small piece happens to fall off the magnet, it is still in the envelope.

...just learning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTXDaleneView Post
I too started using the Avery Elle envelopes for my dies on magnet sheets. I went to Home Depot and got a couple packages of magnetic vent covers. These packages had 3 sheets each and are good sized. It is easy to cut so I cut it to size for the dies/envelopes. if a small piece happens to fall off the magnet, it is still in the envelope.
I saw this method at a friend's house, but I think I would prefer a zip type bag to put my dies in, even though they'd be on a magnetic sheet on heavy cardstock. I've used those Sizzix die folders that come with their thin dies, and I have had die pieces fall out of them. So I'm going to see about a thicker bag, maybe 4mm for the dies.

Right now I have them in old CD cases with the black disk hub taken out. It's taking up a lot of space. So off to find zipper bags I go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2015, 03:56 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
The thing that popped out at me about that OP pic was it is over a radiator. I would not keep my dies over one of those.

I cant do that out in the open thing. I would have dies all over the floor...brushing against it, etc. I also find the dies warp a bit over time/use and then dont stick well but will still cut. (I had mine on mag pages in binders) Third, not all dies are made of the same metal and some stick better than others. I am looking at going to the clear envie in a box idea with a piece of mag page. I just dont want to spend a lot and have to resist a big box because that will be too heavy to move around.
Same for me - I store mine in binder boxes on mag sheets. I have several sets that have extremely small pieces that I'm sure I'd loose if they were out in the open. Using binder boxes keeps the weight down as I only have to pull out the box with the category I want. I also have binders that are my indexes - they have samples of all my die cuts so I can easily find what I want.

Another thing to consider when selecting a system - make sure you have room for your collection to grow. It might work today but will you have to change your system a year from now (been there - done that)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I too have an index binder for my punches and dies. Having the samples helps to better visualize which die (size and shape) will be best on my project.

I store my thin dies in an ArtBin case with magnetic sheets: Artbin Magnetic Die Box | Jo-Ann
I like that it is a closed case so the dies don't get lost, but I wish the magnetic sheets were made from a slightly stronger magnet. Once I outgrow the two cases I have, I'll probably consider the envelope storage method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I use the Art Bin as well for my non Stampin Up dies. The SU dies are put on magnetic photo sheets I get at the dollar store (easily cut with scissors). There is a sticky backing, but I leave the paper on and insert them back into the folder, for bundles with only a few dies I stick the magnetic sheet to the inside of the stamp (dvd) case. Easy and cheap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 04:17 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeann34View Post

I'm a few years late in responding...but I purchased one, and no, it does not work. I did buy some magnetic spice containers from the dollar store for my smaller dies, and this works. I purchase a magnetic sheet, cut out the larger dies in magnet, and mounted them on the board. This 'sort of' works, but they do slide around a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have multiple vent covers adhered to the side of my cabinet and all my SB die sets are hanging on them. I also have quite a few of my single ones on it- buts I need more and so I am trying to figure out if I want to expand that or try something else. The ones in a box do not get used as much.
Reply With Quote Likes