Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #1  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jetmax cubes (AC Moore) vs Itso Cubes (Target)

I bought one Itso cube today to see if the stuff I want to store in it will fit and, if so, figure out how many I need. I didn't get to do that yet (and since my stuff is in the MBR with my snoring DH it isn't happening until tomorrow)

I saw that ACMoore has the 9-cube Jetmax on sale ($49.99 I think) in the ad that starts tomorrow. That will be significantly less expensive than buying 9 Itso cubes at $9.99 each! I've never seen the jetmax cube displayed and doubt tomorrow will be different and I don't want to buy it to turn around and have to deal with the hassle of returning it.

So, has anyone ever compared both (interior dimensions, quality, etc.)? Or can someone with the Jetmax (9-cube) provide overall dimensions(height, Depth, Width) as well as interior dimensions. The only place for any storage is our narrow hallway but part of it (near the MBR so it's convenient to my craft area) is a little wider but shorter. I need to figure out which cube system will work best - even if it is the more expensive option.

TIA and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #2  
Linking Queen

BTT and hoping for answers.

TIA and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No answer for you but will be looking forward to any and all myself. g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #4  
Linking Queen

Thanks for the bump GramMcCaul - hope we get answers before the sale at ACM is over (or my store sells out)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no answer, but look forward to someone that does- I am looking to purchased some more storage items at X-Mas.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the Itso cubes and I can store all my Cropper hopper paper holder things in them so they are big enough for storage, and if you turn the shoe ones up right you can fit baskets in there and use storage that way as well. However, they are VERY VERY expensive, and you may want to consider getting the Ikea Expedit bookcase, the half size one, which you can lay on it's side and then maybe drill some cubes to secure on top and place your counter! If that makes sense. I have pictures of my messy and pieced together scrap space on my blog if you would like to look http://scrappinginexile.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #7  
Linking Queen

Thanks, pSaMuse for the info.

I've thought about IKEA but the nearest store is far away and we are drowning in boxes so I wanted some I could get locally (Target and ACMoore are less than 15 minutes away vs over an hour for Ikea). I tried my 12x12 vertical paper holders and they are a tad too tall for the Itso cube but the interior holders fit nicely and it would be even easier to remove a particular collection without the outer holder so that's fine.

I also need the storage to be very versatile as we expect to move at least twice in the next few years and will be renting. In fact, that is one reason I need storage - our actual apartment differed enough from the floorplan that we had to change where we planned to put some stuff - like my craft desk!

I'll look at your scrap space soon ... I don't want to be interrupted and it's almost time for tv viewing with the hubby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I have the Jetmax scrapbook storage cubes that are on sale for $19.99 each this week at AC Moore and I love them. I'm pretty sure the 9 cube unit is too small to store 12x12 papers....so if you need the ability to store 12x12, I would go with the Itso cubes or the $19.99 individual cubes. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #9  
Linking Queen

Thanks ... I think I may just take my 12x12 holder to my ACM on Wednesday and see if they have any Jetmax cubes on display. If not, I think I'll have to go with the Itso cubes. SInce the cubes need to be in a hallway my cat will have access to whatever is stored there so I will probably add doors to at least some of the cubes - storage becomes so expensive it's no wonder I always choce to buy stamps and ribbon instead :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you look in my gallery I have quite a few pictures of the Jetmax cubes. I presently have 26 of them and want at lest that many more. They are great for all the crafting supplies including 12 x 12 papers. My huge wall with 20 of them is all for paper storage.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #11  
Linking Queen

Amber, I took a quick look at your gallery late last night. It seems very organized but I think you just have your paper in the cube. My cat would chew the corners if I stored mine that way (my cubes have no other place to go except our hallway so the cat is going to be in and on them). So I want to keep them in vertical storage within the cube for that extra bit of protection. The Itso cube was a tad too short for the holder I have but that holder has interior holders that did fit and if they also work with JetMax I will be buying a bunch asap. (my oven is being repaired - hopefully - as I type!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

I know this doesn't help your case.. but I bought 2 Ikea expedit shelves.. and love them! I also got some folder organizers and some plastic boxes for them. They are great. Also, I have divided them and put stuff behind them.. like a closet.

They are great for the price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh and I drive 3 hours to get one. hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #14  
Linking Queen

DH and I went to ACM tonight (well ... technically last night since it's now a bit past 1 AM) and bought 4 cubes (2 that have three drawers that I think I recall seeing in Amber's gallery and 2 that have two small drawers and one deep canvas basket). ETA: These were on sale for $19.99. I did see the drawer organizers but forgot to put them in the cart. I might go back tomorrow (with a coupon!). I think they might help me organize my small/medium punches (most of mine are lever-style and my cat likes to chew them so I prefer storing in a drawer than on a rod (being short the rod would have to be low enough for the cat to reach).

DH put one of each design together (he loves doing that stuff!) and I will do some organizing tomorrow. A lot of stuff is "all over" our living and dining rooms so I hope to get that stuff in order so those rooms look nicer (we downsized - temporarily but still for quite awhile - from a 3BR house to a 2BR apt - my FIL has the 2nd BR so I lost my craft space and we had to put our computer desk in the L/R). I also hope to get homes for some of the stuff on my craft desk. We had to add a hutch to it when our original plan for storing my cardstock didn't work and it takes up lots of the working area on the desk but if everything gets a home there will be enough room to stamp and punch etc. when making cards.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I accept with information: The only place for any storage is your narrow hallway but part of it (near the MBR so it's convenient to my craft area) is a little wider but shorter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I have the Jetmax cubes also, and I keep my cardstock/dsp in the 12 X 12 paper holders from SU. These slide into the cubes perfectly. Jetmax just came out with a six-shelf option, but this one is smaller than the cubes being stacked upon one another. For my punches, I used the 3-shelf option (4 slots) turned sideways and purchased some approx 12 X 12 plastic drawers from Target. (These were over with the storage cubes, so they may have been with the Itso cubes you were talking about. My Target also carries the Jetmax cubes in the scrapbooking area, so 2 choices.) I get quite a few punches in each drawer too! HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #17  
Linking Queen

I ended up getting units with drawers but think my 12x12 cs/pp will go on the top cube in the "tower" but family "stuff" is keeping us too busy to put two of the cubes together and figure out exactly where and how high/wide I can go (DH offered to do a little rearranging which would possibly allow some to go along the wall on his side of our bed - meaning I'll have room for more cubes if we still put a "tower" in the hallway.)

I know these cubes will go a long way in getting my stuff organized and will be flexible for when (someday) I again have a craft room. DH even wants some to organize his computer stuff!

Thanks all for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Congrats on your purchase! I recently bought 10 cubes since they've been on sale for $20 at a local craft store. I just won a $250 GC from this same craft store, (Craft Warehouse for those of you in the Pacific NW), so I'm going to get some more Jet Max cubes with my GC while they are on sale.

I'm going to set them up in the walk-in closet in my studio. I'll store my huge hoard of Club Scrap cardstock in the cubes. I can't wait to be able to see everything. Maybe I'll actually use it now. ;) I'm a person that has to see stuff to remember that I have it. But I've always been worried about sun fading. In the closet, I won't have to worry about it. Yahoo!

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #19  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by VintagechickView Post
Congrats on your purchase! I recently bought 10 cubes since they've been on sale for $20 at a local craft store. I just won a $250 GC from this same craft store, (Craft Warehouse for those of you in the Pacific NW), so I'm going to get some more Jet Max cubes with my GC while they are on sale.

I'm going to set them up in the walk-in closet in my studio. I'll store my huge hoard of Club Scrap cardstock in the cubes. I can't wait to be able to see everything. Maybe I'll actually use it now. ;) I'm a person that has to see stuff to remember that I have it. But I've always been worried about sun fading. In the closet, I won't have to worry about it. Yahoo!

CindyB

One reason I actually want the cubes in the hallway (at least the ones w/cardstock). The other reason is my DH goes to bed early and I am an insomniac nightowl so I'd have to be really quiet while lookign for stuff in the dark to avoid waking him up while stamping late at night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

That sounds like a really good solution for you. My DH is the night owl in our family, so I understand completely.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #21  
Linking Queen

Quote:

That sounds like a really good solution for you. My DH is the night owl in our family, so I understand completely.

CindyB

This is one of the best parts of Splitcoast :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
One reason I actually want the cubes in the hallway (at least the ones w/cardstock). The other reason is my DH goes to bed early and I am an insomniac nightowl so I'd have to be really quiet while lookign for stuff in the dark to avoid waking him up while stamping late at night.
A little tip...the drawers in these things can be REALLY squeaky and noisy. Used to drive me nuts when I was in my room at night when dh was asleep. So before you load up the drawers, take some wax paper and rub it on the bottom edges. A little extra elbow grease might be needed on some more than others.

I first tried rubbing a candle and then a soap bar, but neither of these did nearly as good a job as the wax paper. You will really thank yourself if you do this before you get everything all set...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #23  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
A little tip...the drawers in these things can be REALLY squeaky and noisy. Used to drive me nuts when I was in my room at night when dh was asleep. So before you load up the drawers, take some wax paper and rub it on the bottom edges. A little extra elbow grease might be needed on some more than others.

I first tried rubbing a candle and then a soap bar, but neither of these did nearly as good a job as the wax paper. You will really thank yourself if you do this before you get everything all set...
Awesome tip ... I only opened the drawers a few times (to make sure they worked after DH assembled the unit and then to put a divider into one drawer.)

SCSers are so helpful :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I never knew there was a difference till today

I picked up some from Michales, some from Target and some from AC Moore and some from Joannes.......they all look the same to me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Whew! I put together 16 Jet Max cubes today.

I have four stacks of four cubes each. The bottom cube on each stack is either the 3 drawer unit or the one with the two magazine holders. On each stack, each of the top three cubes are the 5 shelf units. It will be sooooo nice to free all my 12x12 cardstock from their pizza box prisons. ;)

Time for bed. I'm done for today!
CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #26  
Linking Queen

DH put the other two cubes together yesterday and placed all four (stacked; 3 drawer on bottom then basket with 2 small drawers; repeat) in the wider spot of the hallway. I can reach the top but cannot see into the top drawer but there is room to keep a small (almost kid-sized) step stool next to the tower.

I started putting some punches in the drawer (I bought 2 of the organizers) and think I may have enough "leftover" parts for a third drawer since my larger punches need two spots so I took out some of the dividers.

Very excited to have started organizing my "overflow" but I don't expect to get too much done this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
It's a lot of work, isn't it! I bought 23 total in two trips. I was so sick of putting those things together-especially the drawers. Have fun putting all your stuff in them-I'm STILL rearranging my stuff a lot.
YES! The drawers are the worst.

TeeGeeDee - I can't go 5 high in my closet without taking out the clothes hanger bar and shelf. And I know that if I took it out, when we sell the house someday I won't be able to find it. ;) The step stool is a good idea.

Have fun everyone rearranging your goodies!

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

AFter going to "M's" today, in 2 separate trips to use the 40% coupons, I got 5 total, but noticed that they will have these on sale on Thanksgiving (mine is open from 6-9) and black friday. All scrapbook storage 55% off. Maybe I can figure out how many I need to build my space--just can't decide on getting jetmax cubes for myself or a 32" flatscreen for the basement room I'm taking over and making my craft room with a small sofa and chair if you dare bug me while I'm stamping room.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #29  
Linking Queen

I hadn't looked at the ads yet - DH and I did some brainstorming and figured out a spot in the D/R where we can make another tower (might go 5 or 6 high there but at least 4) so now I have to see if my SIL has any M's near her (she probably does but she wouldn't know) since we are sleeping over (we live about 100 miles apart).

The step stool is working out very well and the 2 boxes of drawer dividers were enough for three drawers because the larger lever punches (such as SU's tag or oval punches) need a double spot. I only did it after dinner but this usage also gives me a square so I can keep similar punches together (or possibly dies like my Spellbinders that come in CD cases; will try that asap since dies/punches both cut/shape paper I'm okay keeping them together.)

Also, we initially did remove a hanging bar in the closet but were able to store it in the closet (behind the door; we have a walk in closet and the door swings in.). It worked until I took our bulkier fall/winter clothes out of storage so DH put it back. My lateral file cabinet is still beneath it but I cannot stack too much stuff on top of it any longer (another reason for needing the cubes!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I apologize for not coming here again sooner...I do not have paper on any of the lower shelves of my unit. All my 12 x 12 papers is in the drawers of my units. One whole tower is SU and one whole tower is Basic Grey. I guess on the bookshelf in the corner I have some paper but that is all generic type 8.5 x 11. I love the cubes and need many more...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #31  
Linking Queen

My DH loves these even more than me (or perhaps he loves the idea of my stuff getting organized!) We'll be at his sister's for Thanksgiving (sleeping over 'coz it's about 100 miles away from where we live and traffic can sometimes make it a four hour ride home! He found another spot for 4 more cubes so we can get 8 more for a total of 12!

She doesn't craft but there is a Michael's less than 5 hours from her house and they have scrapbook storage on sale for 55% THU and FRI plus a coupon for 30% off your purchase (including sale items) for THU between 5 and 9 pm so we will go there either before or after dinner (no idea when dinnertime is planned)! The only caveat is the ad states that selection varies by location and includes other manufacturers so if they don't have JetMax there wouldn't be a raincheck opportunity.

If that doesn't pan out we will go to one on the way home but won't be able to use the coupon (but 55% off is still fantastic!)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Good luck on your cube quest. Those discounts are GREAT!

BTW, did you mean "less than 5 hours from her house" or "less than 5 minutes" because 5 hours sounds like a loooong drive!

Happy Thanksgiving!

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #33  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Good luck on your cube quest. Those discounts are GREAT!

BTW, did you mean "less than 5 hours from her house" or "less than 5 minutes" because 5 hours sounds like a loooong drive!

Happy Thanksgiving!

CindyB
Good catch ... but I should have typed less than 5 miles! Her house is usually just under a 2 hour drive from ours but on Thanksgiving it has taken up to 4 hours so we are sleeping over (finally convinced my live-in FIL that we don't have to come home the same day!)

Thanks for the good luck wishes - I think they will be needed since her area is more populated and the cubes are great. If I can't get all the ones I want on THU we will stop at another Michael's on our way home Friday ("just" 55% off since the coupon won't be valid).

With the sale they are cheap enough I think I can convince DH to store 1 (maybe 2) of the desktops since that is part of the design for a dream craft space (when we get re-settled and are ready to own a condo/house again; due to DH's job situation we expect to relocate so are renting to have flexibility but I miss the room/space we had in our house). I'd like an "L" shaped work area using the cubes as a base and perhaps on the ends too.

Hope everyone has a fun and safe Holiday!

Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanksgiving blessings to you too! I will probably hit Michaels on Thanksgiving afternoon to get a few of these myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #35  
Linking Queen

I just re-read the ad and the coupon cannot be used (I think the storage is a doorbuster item) but I still hope to go tomorrow because each store has a different selection and by time I get to my local stores on Friday I doubt I'll find a single cube.

Worst case scenario is DH and I use coupons and get two at a time for 40% off. At least I have a storage plan!
Reply With Quote Likes