Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a countertop that I bought from Home Depot. It had a rolled edge in front. If you use that, you need an additional board underneath so that the top drawer will open. The countertop will overhang down about an inch.

I went with the 16" wide board from Lowes along my one wall. That was $20 for 8 feet and I had to buy additional so that it runs the whole length of the room. Jetmax underneath. It's about 12 stacks of Jetmax under that board with a small area open for me to use the sewing machine.

My work area is also Jetmax with a 4 foot x 7 foot highgrade plywood. The jetmax holds up well under that weight. Right now I have 6 stacks (2 high) of jetmax spaced apart under the top.

I will be getting more jetmax, I believe I need about 12 more to finish off my room completely. I never had any problem with the jetmax holding the weight.

Oh, if you do use the counter, you will need to support the back of the counter against the wall. I've seen most mount a board along the wall for the back to sit on. Also will probably need to bracket the counter so that it won't slip.

I didn't want to do all that was needed for the counter, why I went with the 16" wide board. Though I do think the counter is a nicer work area. I didn't like having the wall 16" from me, felt closed in.

I hope some of this is making sense, sorry for rambling.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

I went to that Jetmax space site and checked everyone's designs out and these are awesome!!! From what I could gather while skiming it, they can be purchased at Target as well?? We don't have a Michaels or Hobby Lobby here There is a Michael's about 120 miles away so may need to head there!! Do you think Joann's carries them?? We are moving to a new house and the old one had alot of built in's so those look like the way to go!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Karen
I can only tell you our local Target did not carry them. Joann's does not carry this line either.
Oriental trading has a similar type and i was told that they are sturdier, but also more expensive.
Maybe once you settle in, it would be worth it to take a trip to Micheals and make a day of it??? I mean...I personally, could make a day in ANY craft store!!! LOL!

Good luck with your move!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Oh, bummer!!! I hope ours carries them!!!!

The town that has a Michaels just happens to be the same town that my oldest is moving to next Friday to start his first year of college so I'm sure I will be making that trip rather often!!! Lol!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

My Target carries them, but only 2-3 styles and they never seemed to have more then 2 at a time. I don't know if they still do, as the stamping/scrapbook section has shrunk tremendously. I did buy a few there, there were 23.99
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #46  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinMomentsView Post
My Target carries them, but only 2-3 styles and they never seemed to have more then 2 at a time. I don't know if they still do, as the stamping/scrapbook section has shrunk tremendously. I did buy a few there, there were 23.99
So they would be in the scrapbook area instead of the furniture or storage area?? I may try to swing by and check today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #47  
Glitter Queen

@ Penny - with the board that you have on your cubes - so its sturdy? You just have it sitting on the cubes right? Checked out your blog and like that. I like the deep working space though but don't want to have the counter top mounted to a wall. So much to think about.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

I have about a 3foot gap so that I can sit there with my knees under at the various 'stations'. My sewing machine doesn't even cause it to wobble or shake when using. I love my jetmax and that board.

I'm in process of redesign again, only because I gained some space in the room (moved out the futon). So one wall of Jetmax is being moved to the center to help build an island that is 4 feet wide and 7 feet long. I do like a larger work area and since I have the opportunity, I'm taking it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Penny your room is awesome!!!! I am sooo jealous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2010, 03:19 AM   #50  
Glitter Queen

Went to Lowes last night - saw some nice wood but maybe too much work to paint and all. Saw the countertops and thanks for the tips Penny on the not opening drawer thing. So tomorrow I'm headed to Ikea. They have the table tops - anyone try those? I won't have to finish it or anything and they don't have the lip like the countertops.

Another thing, just got an email from M's. Starting Sunday they have all storage on sale 40% off. Then Sunday from 1 - 5pm, they have an additional 25% off entire purchase including sale items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

Last time I went to Lowes, I didn't see the white shelving board I had previous bought. There were located in the shelving department, along with the brackets and things. I believe Home Depot has it also. If you ask a sales associate for the 8foot or longer shelving board that is white and already finished, they should be able to direct you to it. When I went to make my island, I was going to use 3 of the boards laid together.

After doing some inquiring, I ended up buying a piece of plywood, but it is furniture grade sorta of stuff. Can remember the exact wording they used.

I did have to stain and polyurathane it though. And Lowes also cut it for me (bought it 4x down to 4x7. Total cost so far for it was just over $60 and I had to do the work myself. I still have to get the molding around the edge that hides that 'plywood' look.

I didn't do the best job, I'm not a cabinet builder, bit I do like it. We don't have an Ikea anywhere close to me. I think the cost just to get there and back with my husbands truck would have been $40 in gas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 AM   #52  
Glitter Queen

Here is a link to the table top I'm looking at from Ikea.

IKEA | Table tops & legs | VIKA system | VIKA AMON | Table top

Can't wait to see it in person. Plus they have so much neat other stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2010, 03:53 AM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Oh I really like that. The board I got from Lowes is only 16" wide. The Ikea one is 23.5. That's a big difference. The Jetmax is 14.5 inches deep, so you will have about 9 inches overhang (probably in the back). I think that will be okay. Just don't set something really heavy in the back and not in the front. Being a craft workspace, I don't see that happening.

That would have been nice where I keep my machines, especially my sewing machine. But I don't do that much sewing and when I am going to do a whole lot, I will move it to my island.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #54  
Mad Swapper

I purchased my first cubes about 5 years ago and have added to and reconfigured my space so many times it's crazy. I finally have a whole room that I'm happy with so now I'm painting, purging, and getting it finished up. While I have most all the different cubes the one I really like is the open 4-shelf cube. I use a few for 12x12 paper but they are so versatile. So many things don't need the height of a drawer and I don't like piling them in and having to dig through. So, I use the 4-shelf and get and extra "drawer". For smaller items, I use 11x14 acrylic picture frames as a drawer or cheapie large flat containers from Dollar Tree, etc. The first pic below is how I store punches.

They are also great if you want different size shelves. The second pic shows the ScorPal on top and taller containers on the bottom.

I keep small embellishments in plastic divided boxes. I disliked having them stacked in drawers. So, I took an empty cube (no dividers) and drilled holes down each side for shelf pins. I had masonite cut to fit inside for shelves. Then used an acrylic frame on each shelf to hold the boxes. It holds the same as 3 drawers but I don't have to move boxes around to find the one I want in the drawer.
Attached Thumbnails
Jetmax cubes-punches.jpg   Jetmax cubes-scorpal.jpg   Jetmax cubes-embellishments.jpg  

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #55  
Glitter Queen

Joystamp4 - that's a great idea! I guess I've been just thinking about using that space for paper.

Well I went to Ikea and got the 59" tabletop. I have it sitting on 8 cubes - four on each side, two cubes deep. I'm liking the setup. Our M's have the cubes on sale this week and a 25% off coupon entire purchase so going to be heading down there for a couple of more cubes.

I'll try to post a picture late.

Kris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #56  
Compulsive Stamper

I have the Ikea "Vika Amon" table top and the matching legs. I love it! Not only was it really affordable, but it matches my craft room really well. I also bought two of the little plastic trays that snap on to the leg.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #57  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Craft Room

I bought all of my cubes at Target when they had a really big selection. The other side of my room has a bunch of the 9 cubby bookcases from Target with the square fabric bins the in the bottom row.

Scraproom | Facebook
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #58  
Glitter Queen

@spmissy - nice room. Love the storage on the legs of the table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #59  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by joystamp4View Post
I purchased my first cubes about 5 years ago and have added to and reconfigured my space so many times it's crazy. I finally have a whole room that I'm happy with so now I'm painting, purging, and getting it finished up. While I have most all the different cubes the one I really like is the open 4-shelf cube. I use a few for 12x12 paper but they are so versatile. So many things don't need the height of a drawer and I don't like piling them in and having to dig through. So, I use the 4-shelf and get and extra "drawer". For smaller items, I use 11x14 acrylic picture frames as a drawer or cheapie large flat containers from Dollar Tree, etc. The first pic below is how I store punches.

They are also great if you want different size shelves. The second pic shows the ScorPal on top and taller containers on the bottom.

I keep small embellishments in plastic divided boxes. I disliked having them stacked in drawers. So, I took an empty cube (no dividers) and drilled holes down each side for shelf pins. I had masonite cut to fit inside for shelves. Then used an acrylic frame on each shelf to hold the boxes. It holds the same as 3 drawers but I don't have to move boxes around to find the one I want in the drawer.
Also these trays from target slide into shelves of the 4-shelf cube nicely. I have my small collection of CB dies in one and my small embossing folders and border EFs in another one.

Divided Tray

Wide Tray

I only have the divided trays. FYI The wide trays say out of stock on the website, but I just checked the store finder and it says they are available in my local store.

My Blog: Purple Place Designs
My Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegee7617View Post
Also these trays from target slide into shelves of the 4-shelf cube nicely. I have my small collection of CB dies in one and my small embossing folders and border EFs in another one.

Divided Tray

Wide Tray

I only have the divided trays. FYI The wide trays say out of stock on the website, but I just checked the store finder and it says they are available in my local store.
Thanks for the tip - I picked up a couple of the wide trays today and like them. They are a little wider and deeper than the picture frames.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes