Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2021, 12:46 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ink Pad storage... HELP!

Has anyone built or created a storage unit to hold stampin up ink pads, refills and markers?
I have a simple unit I built for my ink pads out of cardstock and foam board. I'd like to have one that will hold everything but I am struggling to figure out a functional design.
I know I could get one from stamp n storage but I'd prefer not to spend a couple hundred dollars on units to store everything.
If anyone has advice, ideas or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 291 Likes on 193 Posts

Did you already do a google search for DIY ink pad storage? I took a quick look and it seems there are lots of options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post
Did you already do a google search for DIY ink pad storage? I took a quick look and it seems there are lots of options.
I have, but most of what comes up is solely for ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 291 Likes on 193 Posts

Probably not what you have in mind, but maybe you could add this marker holder to what you already have? And a small bin on top of your DIY rack for ink refills?

Marker holder at scrapbook.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post
Probably not what you have in mind, but maybe you could add this marker holder to what you already have? And a small bin on top of your DIY rack for ink refills?
It's not what I had mind but I will definitely give it some thought. Thanks for the ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2021, 03:42 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ink storage confusion here. I read some where you are supposed to store ink pads top side down. Is this true? Can you store them vertically or does all the ink ooze to one side and possibly leak?

Really stuck on were and how to store my ink pads. Hate digging around in a draw/box/basket for the right pad. Was thinking of using my old Sizzix spinning tower thing for ink storage, but for some reason that thing has always bothered - it it is so weird looking. Guess I could alter it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2021, 04:28 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,857 Posts

My inks are not stored upside down, except for Stampin'Up and their cases are designed that way. I have Lawn Fawn, Gina K, and Memento in full size pads and all are stored with the lid side up. I have mine in old Cassette cases, like the ones that have drawers that pull out. One case is open on the bottom of the drawer, so I placed scrap cardstock below the pads to hold them in place on the drawer. The backs are open, so cassettes are placed there. It is working and didn't cost me anything as we had one and my sister brought me the other. She found it a thrift store.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2021, 05:50 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrilatriView Post
Ink storage confusion here. I read some where you are supposed to store ink pads top side down. Is this true? Can you store them vertically or does all the ink ooze to one side and possibly leak?

Really stuck on were and how to store my ink pads. Hate digging around in a draw/box/basket for the right pad. Was thinking of using my old Sizzix spinning tower thing for ink storage, but for some reason that thing has always bothered - it it is so weird looking. Guess I could alter it.

Thanks.
I recall the really old Stampin Up pads were recommended to be stored that way. But I don't store any pads upside down and have no issues with them.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I store my blocks and ink pads in drawers of an Ikea Alex unit. Distress by themselves and the others by color. This works really well for me but guess i have too many pads. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I don't store my ink pads upside down, except for those that are designed that way. I have them in shallow drawers by color and type---dye ink pads in one row and pigment in another, etc.
I also store my markers in drawers separated into colors in sectioned boxes that I can lift out when working with them. If you are looking for a DYI storage for markers to sit on your work table, I saw an interesting one that I can't find right now, but will come back and post, if I do. Cardboard tubes were glued together in rows and columns and I think contained in a box to keep them sturdy. Then markers were stored by color family, but any system could be used. I hope this description makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Here are a few examples of what I was talking about---a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

Thought I'd include both plain and covered cardboard tubes as well as plain and covered PVC pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Ink Pad storage... HELP!-cardboard-tubes.jpg   Ink Pad storage... HELP!-covered-tubes.jpg   Ink Pad storage... HELP!-pvc-pipe.jpg   Ink Pad storage... HELP!-covered-pvc.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Jcrafts (06-24-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 07:52 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

A few more ideas and then I'm done, I promise.

Attached Thumbnails
Ink Pad storage... HELP!-dyi-.jpg   Ink Pad storage... HELP!-ink-pad-storage.jpg   Ink Pad storage... HELP!-pad-reinker-storage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Jcrafts (06-24-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 10:06 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Melody made a really cool Ink Hotel that I made a similar thing from her instructions. You can make it any size and customize it to your needs.
Ink Hotel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2021, 05:16 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I mostly have stampin' up ink pads which are designed so that the ink pad is upside down. I do store my versamark, stazon and memento black ink pads upside down I find it helps to keep the ink close to the surface.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I've really appreciated it. I have drafted up a plan for a unit that will hold my ink pads, refills and markers all on one row similar to the Stamp n Storage units you see. I hoping to assemble 1 of my 4 units this weekend. We'll see if I get there. I post pictures for everyone to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardgoddess98View Post
I mostly have stampin' up ink pads which are designed so that the ink pad is upside down. I do store my versamark, stazon and memento black ink pads upside down I find it helps to keep the ink close to the surface.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I've really appreciated it. I have drafted up a plan for a unit that will hold my ink pads, refills and markers all on one row similar to the Stamp n Storage units you see. I hoping to assemble 1 of my 4 units this weekend. We'll see if I get there. I post pictures for everyone to see.
Just curious...what material do you intend on using to make it? Wood or cardboard or foam board?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

I will be using foam board and then I will set them up on lazy Susan's so that they spin and don't take up as much room on my desk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks.
Sounds nice. Hope you do post a photo when it's finished. Good Luck with it's construction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardgoddess98View Post
I will be using foam board and then I will set them up on lazy Susan's so that they spin and don't take up as much room on my desk.
That sounds good. My first ink pad storage was also DIY foam board. I used foam board, an X-acto knfe and a glue gun. It was tricky yet fun to make. All that cutting and measuring and notching and gluing. It served its purpose for more than a year, until a friend gave me her wooden ink pad storage.

If I were going to make it again, I'd consider covering the pieces with contact paper -- just so the raw foam edges don't show. If wrapped around the exterior of the finished product, it might help keep it sturdy for a longer period. Mine got a little wobbly with use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

It's amazing when crafty and creative people start looking at containers, etc., for other uses than what they are made for... some excellent ideas out there I tell ya.

Hope you had a great weekend putting your stamp pad holder together. Let us see a photo when you are done.

For me, I have an older wood shelf that I bought off e-bay years ago. (Way before Etsy) Then went to the Best Craft Organizer PortaInk... buy a few of the swivel ones... which I ended up taking the swivel off and just using them side by side. (they were a lot cheaper back when I got them.) Believe it or not, with them being on the turn swivel, they took up way too much room on my cabinet, having them far enough out so you could turn them. I have them all side by side now in a row across the cabinet. I really like this brand. Easy to dust/clean. They have some spacers you can also get for the Tim Holts square pads, and other pads. But you could just use a small block to keep the out to the edge.

The New one that Scrapbook.com has come out with look great also, but they do not fit Stampin' UP!s New Pads that came out a few years ago. Always make sure your different pads will fit into what ever unit you make or buy.

I do have some of the Stamp N Storage units for punches. I had saved up and do like them.

https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/ Jennifer McGuire has awesome ideas as to her storage of Crafty items. It is worth the time to check her webpage out and look around. She also does a "Craft Products that she likes" every year. It's a fun series, so check her out.

Have a Crafty Creative Day my Friends....
Faith

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smefaithView Post
It's amazing when crafty and creative people start looking at containers, etc., for other uses than what they are made for... some excellent ideas out there I tell ya.

Hope you had a great weekend putting your stamp pad holder together. Let us see a photo when you are done.

For me, I have an older wood shelf that I bought off e-bay years ago. (Way before Etsy) Then went to the Best Craft Organizer PortaInk... buy a few of the swivel ones... which I ended up taking the swivel off and just using them side by side. (they were a lot cheaper back when I got them.) Believe it or not, with them being on the turn swivel, they took up way too much room on my cabinet, having them far enough out so you could turn them. I have them all side by side now in a row across the cabinet. I really like this brand. Easy to dust/clean. They have some spacers you can also get for the Tim Holts square pads, and other pads. But you could just use a small block to keep the out to the edge.

The New one that Scrapbook.com has come out with look great also, but they do not fit Stampin' UP!s New Pads that came out a few years ago. Always make sure your different pads will fit into what ever unit you make or buy.

I do have some of the Stamp N Storage units for punches. I had saved up and do like them.

https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/ Jennifer McGuire has awesome ideas as to her storage of Crafty items. It is worth the time to check her webpage out and look around. She also does a "Craft Products that she likes" every year. It's a fun series, so check her out.

Have a Crafty Creative Day my Friends....
Faith
I am still cutting all the pieces I need! I think I am in over my head 🤦‍♀️
I will definitely post pictures when it's done.
Everything has been custom measured to ensure it will fit both the old style and new style SU ink pads.

You are so right! I've gotten a lot of my organization ideas from Jennifer Maguire!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2021, 03:33 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

Take your time, you will get it done. Look forward to seeing the finished piece. I am currently using a wooden cassette holder, but am not happy with it as some pads are a slight fraction too thick. I can not store an ink pad on each shelf so only it will not hold all of my inkpads. I don’t have the funds to buy an ink pad storage unit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2021, 04:32 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw some cassette tape holders as a substitute ink storage before, not sure where to find the link for you to buy one though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2021, 04:55 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Here is a picture of one completed tower. I will be making 4 and will have 2 towers back to back on a lazy susan.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gi5...ew?usp=sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Well done! That looks great. Doesn't it feel good when you need something and can make it on your own and it works out perfectly?
If I may add a suggestion...you might want to put some black duct tape along the front edges to protect them from wear and tear. I'm not sure how durable that paper covered foam is, and you want it to last after all your hard work.
Have fun making the other ones.
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Very nice. Is it made out of wood?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

Duh! I see, black foam core. I see one space is for ink refill, what is the other slot for, besides the ink pad?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

I am currently using a old cassette tower. Problem is, that the space for the height of the stamp pads, isn’t quite high enough and I can not use the space above because it makes that slot even tighter. So it is a waste to use it with every other slot being empty. I will be making a foam core one as soon as I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by prpldyView Post
Duh! I see, black foam core. I see one space is for ink refill, what is the other slot for, besides the ink pad?
I plan on putting my stampin' write markers and blends in that last cubby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

You go girl! As you make the second on, it will speed up. By #4 you will be a master. I suggest writing notes in case you want to do it again in 5 years. I have often seen people say they cant remember how they did something.

I had wooden cassette racks and they only fit a few brands of ink. I sold them for a song. I had them for years with tapes in them expecting to use them. Big disappointment.
Reply With Quote Likes