Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have too much stuff...

I'm in the process of moving my craft room upstairs and using my dd's bedroom. My dh has painted and hung all the shelves for me, but I have so much.

I must be a craft supply hoarder. Does anyone else do this?

I made a recipe box for my mom, 3 years ago and loved how it turned out. As I'm unboxing, I found 9 more. They were on Clearance so I bought them. I do shop clearance and buy when I find a good deal. The problem is, now I have a ton of stuff. I bought 2 pack picture frames at target with the intention on painting them and using as gifts. I unboxed them, and I have 30. I'll never use that many. But they were a good deal. I have little tins, gift card tins, journals, and card sets. I could probably open a store. RSVP pens- I have a ton.

I've told my younger daughter she has free reign in the new room, and can use anything she wants. When birthdays come up, we have stuff to make. I guess I need to spend time looking thru the Gallery here and find things to make with everything I have.

On the upside, I don;t go to the store anymore, since I;m not working across the street from Michael's and HobbyLobby. I'm a sucker for clearance items.

I'll post some pictures of my new room in the next week.
Jen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #2  
Glitter Queen

Default I know extactly what you mean

I have 3/4's of a huge basement. It is such a mess right now I don't know where to begin. I too buy multiples of items to "alter". Ribbon (I'm a ribbon-aholic, it has been 2 months since my last purchase.), I have a bookcase with 6 rods for ribbon spools, but that is only about 1/2 of what I have. Tables filled, dressers and more bookcases filled, the floor is piled to the point that I can't walk through it anymore. Was doing very well still knowing where everything was until recently, I can't find my Cropadile. I did find the stand one, but not the hand held one. I keep setting dates to get through it, I was doing well before Thanksgiving, but .....not quite. Ready to accept any organization ideas. Nope no pictures, you wouldn't belive them. Well, maybe, it might be the first step.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there! I completely understand what you're going through!

When we first moved into our house 4 years ago I started "collecting" and just putting things here and there, never really taking count of how much I was accumulating. Then one day almost 2 years later my husband said, "Honey, we need to turn this into a guest room, not just your craft room."

And when I started cleaning out the closet that's when it hit me! I had dozens upon dozens of alterable containers. Paper packs, stamps, and other supplies that had never seen the light of day. It took me weeks to go through it all, sort out what I really wanted, and then donate the rest.

Now, I keep ALL of my supplies in plain sight. I use a bookshelf to hold almost everything. Then anything that doesn't fit there is relegated to two dresser drawers I have allotted myself. I try not to go above this as this is what really keeps me in check.

The hardest part was to keep myself from not buying things as I saw them. Every day you read threads on here about this new paper collection, that new stamp set, etc. I set a budget for myself each month and STICK TO IT! If I want something new and I don't have any $$ left in my budget for that month, then I have to sell something that I have.

I try to thin out my supplies every few months by listing in the BSO forum here and I also try my local Craiglist.

Hope these help! You'd be amazed how much you can really fit into less space. And how much it helps to know what you really have. I find I'm more creative with less, if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I so understand you!! My room is about 7 x 16 , windows on 1 wall, home movies take another wall, and Expedit and desk on 3rd, wall, closet on 4th. No room to go up on there so I have supplies on the foor and they get buried as new stuff comes in.. I need to stop buying and start using!!! now to figure out how to do that!!! I just have sooo much stuffs! and I'll likely never live long enough to use it all. Why do I like it all!!?!?!?!?!? lol maybe we need an organization challenge series to help us all???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

hey guess what....there is a support group for that!
>
>
>
>

It's called Splitcoaststampers...

ROFL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Just came out of my craft room (where I was once again organizing) and I can't believe how much "stuff" I have - then there is the stash of "stuff" in the attic - I think we need a 12 step program --LOL

Gerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I too have way too much stuff(you know the stuff you just had to have and it was on sale).

Just after Christmas, I went through all my embellishments. You would not believe how many I had duplicates of. I put them in order by catagory and labeled them. Now instead of looking through several bags, I have them all in one box. It is now much quicker and easier to find things. It did take me about a week to go through everything but it sure was worth it.

I just have to make myself use up the things I have and not go buy more things. My weakness is things that I like and are on sale. Many times, I have no idea how I am going to use them but I know that they are such a good deal that I cannot reasist buying them. I have tried to stay out of craft stores so I am not tempted to buy more. Now I just need those online stores to quit emailing me with specials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

yup I have so much, what is helping me is the stamp to spend thread, count everything you make and everything you are spending ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I, too, feel I have a lot of stuff. I am a scrapbooker and a crafter - stamper. It's mostly organized but it takes up a lot of space in our basement. I've been cleaning and organizing and I keep finding more stuff that hasn't even been used. And yet I can't seem to make myself part with it. For example, QK dies still in the package - I rationalize that I'll use them eventually. So do I unwrap them and put them in the binders? Or sell them? What about all the Copic markers that have yet to be used? I have 6 towers of Sizzix dies that haven't been used in...a long time (I don't really know how long...) I keep thinking I might use them eventually or the kids might need to use them and they're a "sunk" cost, so keep them.

I still have plenty of space to create...

I'm sick, I tell you. Just sick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got so excited I found a little metal mailbox at Target! Brought it home and went to find a place to tuck it...Found 4 others! I think a lot of us have problem and like a lot of you, I love it!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

So true - I do love my addiction - way too much -- LOL

Gerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by creatingisfunView Post
yup I have so much, what is helping me is the stamp to spend thread, count everything you make and everything you are spending ;)
Would you mind pointing me toward that thread? It sounds like something I should be doing! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgstamperView Post
I have 3/4's of a huge basement. It is such a mess right now I don't know where to begin. I too buy multiples of items to "alter". Ribbon (I'm a ribbon-aholic, it has been 2 months since my last purchase.), I have a bookcase with 6 rods for ribbon spools, but that is only about 1/2 of what I have. Tables filled, dressers and more bookcases filled, the floor is piled to the point that I can't walk through it anymore. Was doing very well still knowing where everything was until recently, I can't find my Cropadile. I did find the stand one, but not the hand held one. I keep setting dates to get through it, I was doing well before Thanksgiving, but .....not quite. Ready to accept any organization ideas. Nope no pictures, you wouldn't belive them. Well, maybe, it might be the first step.
My husband's office was the same way. Everything was overflowing. I suggested he pick one file folder, one bag, one drawer just pick one thing and go through it. One day he told me he was doing the one thing idea and it was working. When I looked at his office I saw it really was working. Just remember one thing at a time it really does work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #14  
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcjenView Post
I'm in the process of moving my craft room upstairs and using my dd's bedroom. My dh has painted and hung all the shelves for me, but I have so much.

I must be a craft supply hoarder. Does anyone else do this?

I made a recipe box for my mom, 3 years ago and loved how it turned out. As I'm unboxing, I found 9 more. They were on Clearance so I bought them. I do shop clearance and buy when I find a good deal. The problem is, now I have a ton of stuff. I bought 2 pack picture frames at target with the intention on painting them and using as gifts. I unboxed them, and I have 30. I'll never use that many. But they were a good deal. I have little tins, gift card tins, journals, and card sets. I could probably open a store. RSVP pens- I have a ton.

I've told my younger daughter she has free reign in the new room, and can use anything she wants. When birthdays come up, we have stuff to make. I guess I need to spend time looking thru the Gallery here and find things to make with everything I have.

On the upside, I don;t go to the store anymore, since I;m not working across the street from Michael's and HobbyLobby. I'm a sucker for clearance items.

I'll post some pictures of my new room in the next week.
Jen
I live a long way from a Michaels and Hobbylobby. Oh how I wish I could come and play in all of your craft rooms. Enjoy your stuff. Set yourself a challenge to make at least one gift item a month.

My Blog :http://aokspaperstuff.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn324View Post
My husband's office was the same way. Everything was overflowing. I suggested he pick one file folder, one bag, one drawer just pick one thing and go through it. One day he told me he was doing the one thing idea and it was working. When I looked at his office I saw it really was working. Just remember one thing at a time it really does work.
I was doing the 1 hour a day idea. I used a timer to keep track of the time, it was working pretty well. Since I work, I decided that if I cleaned an hour 4 days a week, I would feel like I fullfilled my committment. I did make progress until life got in the way. I have stopped looking at Target's $1 bins, going to Archiver's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Joann's just because I have a coupon or want to check out a new tool or paper.

Thanks for everyone's support and ideas. Keep them coming. Yep, I'm open to help or a "play date", if you live west of Chicago, IL. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

hmmm.. I'll admit to being guilty to buying multiple items of something on clearance that I think I'll get around to doing for various people one day, especially if I have done one already that went down well. It does mean that I have had times where I have been able to simply go to the box when I wanted to make something for someone with little notice but more often than not I fear that I shall be carting them around for the next 40 years. One thing about this hobby that I am grateful for... it is not often that things get spoiled by time, there's no used-by-date!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

When I moved into my craftroom/office in our basement I didn't have time to paint or fix holes in the wall. That was 5 years ago and I decided last week I was going to do it this week while I have a bit of a lull in work. Well I pulled everything out of my 9' x 9' room and have filled half of our basement family room with it! One of my boys said "Hoe did all this stuff fit in that room!"
I have promised myself that I will go through everything as I put it back in and am getting a donation box together for the woman's shelter in our town.
I too was amazed at the number of multiples of things I have
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Smile

I have a ton of stuff. BUT, after finding this site (below), and actually following through, my craftroom is in ALOT better shape. I mean. The main issue now is the fact that I have to share with DH's Army crap. And I think it is time for a seperate office. THis may not be a 12 step program to kicking the buying habit. But it is a 29 {if you do them all} step by step guide to getting your crafting space in order. It is SO worth the time investment!

My Love Affair with the Label Maker: May 2009
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by resqbarbieView Post
hey guess what....there is a support group for that!

It's called Splitcoaststampers...

ROFL!
thanks for the chuckle!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

You are not alone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I have realised this week that I have to find space for all my craft stuff while we paint our living room and my craft space. Suddenly I seem to have a lot of stuff, but not as much as some people around here. I'll have to try and get all the painting in here done in a couple of days me thinks, so it can all get put back again. I can rearrange furniture at the same time seeing as its all being moved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

She who dies with the most stuff wins. And I'm very competetive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

I agree I was just organizing things for the hundreth time in my room. When I come across stuff that I bought years ago, it all goes into a box for donating. I make up silent auction baskets for funraising event and they are a biggggg hit. That way it helps me get rid of stuff I havn't used and forgot I had and it helps raise money for a good cause!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Yes!

I, too, have too much stuff, and running away from home is NOT an option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
She who dies with the most stuff wins. And I'm very competetive.
This made me laugh! I'm pretty competitive also!

We just donated 2 pickup truck loads of craft supplies and I still don't think I've made much of a dent. But I did spend 3 years working for Michaels. That employee's discount will really suck you in!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Having a stamping budget helps me tremendously. It forces me to look at what I already have, and decide what I really want/need. Of course, I don't actually need anything...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
This made me laugh! I'm pretty competitive also!

We just donated 2 pickup truck loads of craft supplies and I still don't think I've made much of a dent. But I did spend 3 years working for Michaels. That employee's discount will really suck you in!

Oh, wow, that's a LOT of craft stuff!!!!!!!!! Lucky you, and because you have such a giving heart, your craft supplies will come back to you a hundred fold!

Must be real FUN having the employee discount at Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

I do not have a car - just walk everywhere. This definitely helps keep me from buying too much - Michael's and Hobby Lobby are way too far to walk to. I also limit myself to the space I have so I have to use up before I can add. I make a game of "shopping" in my supplies -- kind of like you do at 4:oo p.m. when you don't know what's for dinner and really do not want to go to the grocery store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #29  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Well, I'm in a ton of trouble because I'm finally moving home to where some real stores are and Ikea is 20 minutes away which will help me organize more stuff! Just kidding. Things looks pretty and fads come and go so quickly.

I've learned to stick with the timeless classics and then jazz it up a bit with an embellishment that's really popular for 10 seconds. It's like your wardrobe. I always stick to the timeless classics and making the true investment there so it will last for a while and then accentuating with some trendy jewelry or something. That's how I'm looking at my stamp collection these days.

I like a lot of images out there, but I'm also very purposely conscientious about the stamp companies that I invest in as well because I do get published a lot and firmly believe that it's a 2-way street there in that I won't advertise a company for free. While the magazine does pay me, I believe you should be compensated by the stamp company as well because you're giving them national exposure and bringing them new customers.

That's my take on it and where my investment lies is in publishing.

But, back to organization, I'm super neurotic about that and one of these days I'll have to do a video or something because I really think you would like some of the ideas that I have.

Definite rule of thumb: If you don't use it for 6 months, like my closet, it goes. I also do the if I get something new, something generally goes as well, but have gotten to the point where I don't have to do that anymore because I've cleared out almost everything but have a collection on the Buy/Sell board if you're interested and will probably do another eBay round once I move as my craft studio is a tad smaller but I have more built-in storage more for a crafter than the library type of setting that I have now.

I think the biggest key is not to get sucked into the latest and greatest, but to purchase what you enjoy and know what you will use to keep it fun. And budget, budget, budget! If I sell stuff on eBay, I will turn around and invest that money back into craft stuff, but fortunately, my wish list is only one punch right now. If you really want to hold onto your stuff no matter what, then organization is key and utilize that vertical space and lots of baskets and bins.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007

Last edited by KY Southern Belle; 03-16-2011 at 02:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes