Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you store your ribbon?

I have ribbon stored in their original packaging in drawers and ribbon boxes. I have loose ribbon both long and short scraps jumbled all together in a clear plastic box. I'm looking for ideas to be able to see clearly and access easily the right ribbon for a project. I would appreciate any and all ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Default Miss Vicki

I found this to be a good solution to storing tons of ribbon which is what I have. It takes a while and I am still working at it go to this link and see how Bekka has her ribbon stored. Instead of the plastic iris containers, I bought the 12x12 photo storage boxes from Michael's when they went on sale because they stack perfectly on my shelf and then I labeled the front of them so that I would know which type of ribbon was in each box, organza, silk, etc. I was able to get three rows in each of the boxes but it will hold a lot of ribbon. I did keep my spools from May Art that come with 100 yds on them on a ribbon spindle that I bought on line. I can't get the link to post, but go to Bekka Feeken's web site Amazing Paper Grace then under tutorial, organization to see how it is done.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Here's a demo video on what I just ordered.

YouTube - Best Craft Organizer Ribbon Spooler & Dispenser

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I got this idea from Lauren Meader (the ribbon storage pics are down the page a bit) - I picked up 2 divided drawer organizers from Target, they've got 3 sections, and they are perfect for MOST spools of ribbon. They fit the PTI rolls perfectly - and most of the ones I've gotten from M's. They DON'T hold the larger SU! ones, but I have some of the SU! ribbon storage for those. The drawer organizers can stack on top of each other, so it doesn't take up too much square footage, makes spools easily accessible, and visible... I need more, mind you - but they only had 2 that were in good shape the last time I was there, the other 2 were cracked :(

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! Great ribbon storage ideas, Vicki, Dianne and Tracey!! I've checked out your suggestions and found links to other ideas on these sites with even more great ideas. Thanks for sharing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I, too, decided that I would try Becca's system. It saves sooooo much room. I got cardboard that I cut into 3 x 3" squares and just wound the ribbon around them. Then when I put them in my jetmax drawers, I sorted it by color. Makes it sooo easy. Becca's a genious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002View Post
I got this idea from Lauren Meader (the ribbon storage pics are down the page a bit) - I picked up 2 divided drawer organizers from Target, they've got 3 sections, and they are perfect for MOST spools of ribbon. They fit the PTI rolls perfectly - and most of the ones I've gotten from M's. They DON'T hold the larger SU! ones, but I have some of the SU! ribbon storage for those. The drawer organizers can stack on top of each other, so it doesn't take up too much square footage, makes spools easily accessible, and visible... I need more, mind you - but they only had 2 that were in good shape the last time I was there, the other 2 were cracked :(

Good luck!
I'm jealous of her room!!!!! I love mine but hers is so cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a towel rod and the ribbon ring. I love being able to see my ribbon- it helps me use what I have. I put tiny scraps in baggies in a drawer. But everything else is hung up here.

Links and more info is on my blog post here:
Ribbon & Alpha Storage - WhoIsTracy? Blog
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your ribbon?-ribbonstorage2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I use the ribbon ring products and mine are hanging on a wire dress form -- makes a nice skirt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAM123View Post
I have ribbon stored in their original packaging in drawers and ribbon boxes. I have loose ribbon both long and short scraps jumbled all together in a clear plastic box. I'm looking for ideas to be able to see clearly and access easily the right ribbon for a project. I would appreciate any and all ideas!
Right now I have most of it hanging on, One of those Slack Hangers. I won this at a Scrapping Retreat. I "LOVE" Ribbon.

It's a nice hanger. But I think I want to get something else. Like some Plastic Storage boxes to fit all my ribbon in.

and then use the Slack Hanger for my dh jeans.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I keep mine in clear boxes on rolls. Super small, easy to see, no creases, holds trims & various widths of ribbon, etc. I have had it this way for YEARS, love it, and haven't had a need to ever change it. Works great for me. You can see complete details here.

How do you store your ribbon?-four-drawersa.jpg How do you store your ribbon?-trimstorageandrollinga.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default Scarf Hanger

I bought a scarf hanger like the one found in this link:

28 Holes Ties & Scarves Hangers-28 Holes Ties & Scarves Hangers Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com

I actually bought mine at Ikea. I took all of my ribbon off the spools. If there was a lot of ribbon on the spool, I cut it into generous size lengths and tied each ribbon onto one of the rings. I sorted by color, so all my white ribbon is togther on one ring, all blue on another ring, etc. I then hung it on an over the door hanger in my craft room. I can easily see all my ribbons and they don't take up a lot of space. I use to try to make everything portable, so if I was going to a crop or a friends house to craft, I could just pick up and go, but I have realized that I like things to have a neater appearance and visually and physically exceptable. If I am going out to craft, I try to just take what I think I will need. If I do by chance need something I left at home, there is usually someone at the crop that has it and I can borrow, trade, or buy it from her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbie derocherView Post
I, too, decided that I would try Becca's system. It saves sooooo much room. I got cardboard that I cut into 3 x 3" squares and just wound the ribbon around them. Then when I put them in my jetmax drawers, I sorted it by color. Makes it sooo easy. Becca's a genious!
LOVE Becca's system also -can store SOO much-AND easy to take to crops!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Here is a great DIY ribbon rack . And cheap too
This woman has some great ideas. I signed up for her email newsletter

Let’s Make a Ribbon Shelf! � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Would love to see a pic of your scarf hanger ribbon storage!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

link is in post # 12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i buy a lot of my ribbon by the metre from haberdashers and have them wrapped around the inner tubes of toilet rolls.
they do take up a bit of room but i have the same colours wrapped together.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

I use the thin cardboard display boxes the ribbon comes in (like at JoAnn's). If you ask the clerk, they will just give them to you. I line them up in my drawers and it works perfect for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

I buy wired ribbon and cut a length, fold in half and knot the loose ends together which becomes the bottom. Slide the spools over the ribbon and the bottom one will rest on the knot. Leave some room at the top and they can hang on a coat rack, pegs, etc. I bought curtain hooks and hung one from each hook over the curtain on my window. Have one for each color. They look very pretty - and I can just take down the whole ribbon for pink and bring closer to my workspace to see which will work best. I secure the ribbon ends with sequin pins to keep them all neat. Unpin, cut a length, repin & hang back up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by vthokiestamperView Post
I buy wired ribbon and cut a length, fold in half and knot the loose ends together which becomes the bottom. Slide the spools over the ribbon and the bottom one will rest on the knot. Leave some room at the top and they can hang on a coat rack, pegs, etc. I bought curtain hooks and hung one from each hook over the curtain on my window. Have one for each color. They look very pretty - and I can just take down the whole ribbon for pink and bring closer to my workspace to see which will work best. I secure the ribbon ends with sequin pins to keep them all neat. Unpin, cut a length, repin & hang back up.

That is a great idea! And I bet it's very pretty too -- picture please?!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

I store my ribbon spools in recycled 2-liter soda bottles. I got the idea from one of Nancy Ziemen's "Helpful Hints" books, which you can purchase through her company & website, Nancy's Notions. Lots of great hints in her books for sewing & crafts, too!

Basically, you cut one 2-liter bottle off just below the sloped neck of the bottle. insert/stack your ribbon spools inside. Take a second 2-liter bottle, and cut it about 4-5 inches from the bottom of the bottle. I measure & mark where I want to cut, then use a razor blade box cutter to make a hole slightly above that mark, & start the cut. Then I insert my scissors, & completely cut around the bottle on my marked line. After I finish cutting the bottle apart, I turn it sideways, and trim any little barbs or unevenness from my cut. Your could also use an emery board to smooth the edge.

Hold the first bottle near the top edge, and push in a little bit with your thumb. The second bottle bottom will now slip over the top of the first bottle like a cap. All your ribbon is dust-free, and in plain view! I use one set of bottles for each color of ribbon. Works great & is no-cost!

Last edited by Stamp & Quilt; 05-25-2011 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: omission
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jewelry bags! Little tiny ziploc bags from Bagettes. You can get them at the major chain craft stores with your coupons, and they come hundreds to a box. I wrap each piece of ribbon around my fingers, put them into a bag, and then the bags go into a nice big box. When I need to paw through looking for the right color, nothing gets dirty, frayed, or tangled, and the bags are nice and flat but don't put in a crease in the ribbon. You can pour the whole box out onto the floor if you have to, lol, then scoop the little bags right back in. No pet hair, no fading, safe and secure.

-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Another recycle idea: use Q-Tip boxes. I remove the cardboard and then the plastic container is perfect for standard ribbon. Because it is clear, it's easy to see which spools are there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I remove most ribbon from spools unless there is a lot of yardage on them. I remove the end caps and crush the center spool and take it off. If it is loose ribbon, I wrap it around my fingers. Then I wrap it with a white twist tie and store it in large jars by colour from IKEA. The ones with the glass lids and the twisty metal lock. I have one jar per colour, one for twill and one for ribbon with more than one colour/no dominant colour like stripes. When I outgrow a jar, I split the colour, like blue to light blue and dark blue. The ribbon looks good in there on my shelf, is fairly easy to see and search through. I've had no issues with fading even in a room with 5 large windows. The twist ties are very gentle on all ribbons and don't leave creases or marks. If the ribbon is wide and a twist tie doesn't work, I bought tiny clear hair elastics from Walmart and spool it with that. No marks there either. The few spools I have are in a decorative box or on my MM organizer shelf's ribbon dowel. Incidentally, if you can't find white twist ties, your local bakery or grocery store may be willing to give you some or at least let you buy them cheap. I like the white because it looks nice through the glass jars.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you asked, I just made this shelf and it cost $7 and took 20 minutes! I have a how-to video on my blog too: Let’s Make a Ribbon Shelf! � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

Hope it helps;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Here is a great DIY ribbon rack . And cheap too
This woman has some great ideas. I signed up for her email newsletter

Let�s Make a Ribbon Shelf! � Thefrugalcrafter�s Weblog
thanks for the link Barbra, you are sweet, I just posted a pic too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I made a pouch that holds my ribbon. I just pull the colour I want! Very easy to make, especially if you have a large Crop-o-dile (the one that looks like a staple gun). You need 1 fat quarter for the body, and a 9 1/2" circle for the base. I used iron-on interfacing to stiffen it. Have a look at it here:

from abundance
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm all about consolidation on ALL of my crafting supplies, so I try to make what I have fit into the smallest available space! I store all of my embellishments in the small three-drawer plastic units (the desk-top size), including my ribbon. I take the ribbon off of the spool, winding it around a pencil to get started, then just keep winding it into a small roll. I tape the end with a teensy bit of freezer tape (not as tacky as other kinds) and put them all in the drawers. I've attached a pic of my current "green" drawer. I've also used the same method in clamshell cases.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your ribbon?-ribbon-drawer.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Smile easy and cheap ribbon storage

After trying and buying numerous systems for storing ribbon, I took a 3 foot section of vinyl (plastic?) rain gutter from the garage and put it on a ledge in my stamp room. (You could also mount one or more sections on the wall). I lined the rolls of ribbon up in the gutter and pulled out about 6 inches to hang over the edge. It didn't really cost me anything and it has worked better than anything else that I have tried. I can send a picture if you would like. Call me cheap! vsanders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

Love that idea, it sounds neat and lets you see your ribbon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #31  
Glitter Queen

I am using a small dress form from Pier 1 to store my loose ribbon. The rest of my ribbon I have it in small plastic shoe boxes I bought at the Container Store.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

I took the door off the closet in my scrap room to save space & for easy access. Then I mounted a curtain rod across the top of the doorway. My ribbon is hanging from badge clips (REALLY CHEAP!) by color. Several strands of ribbon will fit in one clip and if it's a long piece, just loop it around a couple times. Binder clips also work, but they cost more. My ribbon works like the hanging beads from the 70's. Only I can't let it hang too low--our two cats would go crazy! If it's put away where I can't see it, I don't think to use it. And with two windows, two doorways, & a guest bed in my little 10 x 11 room, I'm out of wall space! If you have room on your walls you could even use a towel bar the same way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

I prefer using rain gutters. I started doing so with my second craftroom and am now on my fifth set up. Hubby and I hung three six footers this time and thinking one more will give me room to grow. LOL I am a ribbon junkie! with gutters, you can adjust the length to your available wall space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

I mounted a length of vinyl gutter inside my bookshelf and just set rolls of ribbon in there. I can put two lengths on a shelf. I saw this here a long time ago....it works great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I am a confirmed ribbon addict. It's truly pathetic. Thank God that ribbon is fairly inexpensive! I had to find some way to store my ribbon that didn't cause every spool to collapse the minute I removed one from the drawer, and a system whereby I could SEE what I have (out of sight ~ out of mind).

Here's what I came up with:

Close up of ribbon bank by kitkat55 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Close up of clips by kitkat55 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Full Ribbon bank by kitkat55 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I used pantry racks that I purchased at Lowe's. They hang on my wall and most of my ribbon spools fit PERFECTLY on these, once I put some cardboard down to keep the spools from falling thru.

I must admit, these photos are almost 18 months old, and they're now bursting at the seams...I need at least one more rack! And this doesn't even include the seasonal ribbon that I have, which I keep in another drawer. [see, I told you I was an addict!]

This method is perfect for me, because with 3 jobs, I just know I won't take the time to unroll spools and put it on a flat cardboard spool. I love the looks of that method, but I know myself (and my time limitations) well enough to know that I'd end up with a bag full of ribbon from M's that never gets used.

HTH,
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Check out Nicole Heady's blog {capture the moment}
and search for ribbon storage. She has the directions to make a shelf for your ribbon. My husband made one for me with these directions and it cost less than $ 30 dollars and will hold quite a few rolls of ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Making Memories ribbon storage box

Has anyone used the MM ribbon storage boxes for storing ribbon or anything else? I thought they were cute and I got a really good deal on them. I have a lot of ribbon but thought maybe I could lace two ribbons through each opening, or add more openings. Would love to see or hear how you have used them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Default Ribbon Storage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki ICTView Post
I can't get the link to post, but go to Bekka Feeken's web site Amazing Paper Grace then under tutorial, organization to see how it is done.
Thank you!! Summer project ahead . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Recycling Idea

We had a heat pump and central air put in the house and did not need the baseboard heat any longer. I cleaned and spray painted the bottom part of the cover to suit my room. Then I hung 2 of them on the wall - 1 is 8' the other is 6' long. I didn't have room to hang them 1 on top of the other on the same wall so I put them under shelves on 2 walls. I had to drill holes to mount them on the wall via the bottom (the part that sat on the floor). I then added my spools of ribbon sorted by color. All sizes of spools will fit in there. I also have some of the really small spools ($1 from HL). They are in an old coffee jar. The scraps of ribbon I have are also in coffee jars (hese are all 1yd or less). The shelves are quite similar to the gutter shelves. Just my 2 cents worth that works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Since my ribbon is stored in so many different containers (from clothes pins to huge spools on a rifle rack), I keep an inventory by color group to note the location. Each page is in a sleeve protector so that nothing comes loose.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes