Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

bencer99, I think that was Kharmagirl. I am thinking of trying that for my 6x6 pads. At least initially. I can see handling them a tad differently that the single sheet scraps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #42  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way my scraps end up getting used is when I keep them in a basket on my wok suface - I have fun looking through it and deciding on color combos too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #43  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing fancy here, the smaller pieces are in sandwich size zip lock bags, one for greens, one for reds, etc., in a drawer. Larger pieces are in each page protector of each separate color of 8 1/2 by 11 up on a shelf. Patterned paper and scraps are in 12 by 12 page protectors on a shelf and one sterlite drawer. I don't have all that much and like stuff put away since I work in a small area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default How do you store your paper scraps

F or my paper that is less than a 8 1/2 x 11, I store these in a plastic paper storage thingy they sell at Mikes with no separations. I arrange my scraps by color starting at white and right on into black. At the back of this there are the patterned papers not in any organized fashion. When this gets too full its time to purge.

For the smaller pieces I store them in a zip lock, once again from lightest to darkest and it helps me find the color quickly if I am looking for a small piece.I keep these storage envelopes in my desk drawer of my work station, and they are right there when I need them when working on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Found this on Pinterest -- another great scrap storage idea. The blog is not in English, so not sure if this is a shoe holder or not -- in the pic the pockets seem wider than my shoe storage. Click here to view
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #46  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttembyView Post
I keep them in drop folders right in front of the same color so when I need that color I go to the scrap before I use a whole new sheet. Works great for me!
I do the same, except now I have plastic A4 size envelopes behind the full sheets for the scraps. That way, when I need a small piece, I just pull out the envelope instead of the whole folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

I store mine like this:

A Vegas Girl at Heart: Scrap Storage Update!

And I keep EVERYTHING, down to little 2" squares/strips, unless it's white or black which are readily available. I just can't bear to toss any nice patterned card stock/paper.

I don't use them fast enough though! My scraps are taking over
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #48  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I just reorganized my scraps. 1/4 size pieces are separated by color families and stored in an old envelope box I kept - a little smaller than a shoe box. I cut up all smaller and odd shaped sizes into manageable sizes - mostly rectangles. And I threw away a lot of unusable pieces I had been hanging on to. I bought some small plastic bins and made a cardboard separator and put the small sizes (color families together). I find this a better system them by old baggie system. Easier to see exactly what I am looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #49  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a plastic "shoebox" on my work surface. Out of sight is out of mind in my case. I try to keep the biggest pieces of card stock towards the back and then get smaller as I go forward. This ensures that I actually look to see if I have a scrap big enough at hand, and also has the added benefit of giving me ready-to-grab color "chips". I can't tell you how often I have made a decision about what color stock to use for a layer based on grabbing a handful of scraps out that box and holding them against the current project.

I also have a small file sorter where I put envelopes that I've cut the flaps off of. I use these to loosely "file" elements I've either made while just playing around or things that got made for a card but then didn't get used. I have several envelopes for "bits" which are small things, and two for "bigs" which are background-type things that I don't yet know what to do with but think might get used eventually.

Sometimes when I am feeling uninspired, I dump an envelope or two out and just play around with whatever lands on the desk. It often gives me a jump start.

Maybe after I've been at this for a while I'll get to where there are too many scraps for this to work and I'll have to get more organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

I use an accordian file and for small bits I use a plastic shoebox and added little holders to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

When I am making cards I use a 4x6 photo keeper to put the scraps in . It is the plastic kind you can get for 1.99 at Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby or Office Max. I have one of those carriers that holds 12 of them. That way the scraps stay all together in one place. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

Here's a question for you guys - do you cut your scraps down to a certain size? For example, you have a 12x12 sheet of card stock, but cut a 4" strip off for making whatever. You're left with an 8" by 12" strip. Do you cut these down to fit (@wanda50 - do you cut your scraps to fit your 4x6 holder?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Scraps

Yes...in the beginning. That way either way I want to use a scrap it usually fits. Even the 1/4 inch pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post
Here's a question for you guys - do you cut your scraps down to a certain size? For example, you have a 12x12 sheet of card stock, but cut a 4" strip off for making whatever. You're left with an 8" by 12" strip. Do you cut these down to fit (@wanda50 - do you cut your scraps to fit your 4x6 holder?)
I'm a scrapbooker as well as a cardmaker, so I never cut down a 12" strip.
I save my "scraps" in two zip style bags (per color). One bag is for my 12" scraps, anything that is 12" long and usually 2" wide. The other bag is for scraps that are not 12", but are at least 2"x3".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

I store my scraps in sheet protectors by color. Each color has it's own sheet protector. I store them in a literature sorter by color family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #56  
Glitter Queen

I am currently working with a small space. I store my solid color cardstock in hanging file folders by color. In the front of each hanging file I have a clear sheet protector that I place my scraps into. When I am making a card and need a small piece all I have to do is pull the page protector out and see if I have a piece of scrap that wll suit my need. This has also helped me reduce the amount of scraps I have because I don't have to hunt for colors anymore and the scraps actually get used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #57  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep mine by general texture. I have one plastic drawer for "regular", one for "textured", one for "shiny", and one for sheet foam (which usually gets cut down into tiny bits to add dimension to multi-layer projects).

I love the ideas shared here, i.e. an envelope for greens, reds, etc. When I'm still in the "design" phase of a project, it's kinda like Christmas morning to rifle through all the different sheets/scraps. But it's not terribly efficient... I may forget I have a certain color or design, and if I'm crunched for time, I often grab the first likely element, possibly passing up on a more appropriate one because I haven't looked deeply enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #58  
Glitter Queen

I use 6 long baskets labeled for each SU color family - (4), in-color and dsp. They are stacked on top of one another. They hold any size of scrap and are so easily accessible. I had changed to clear plastic sleeves but found that did not work as well for me, so went back to my baskets. This system has worked best for me.

Last edited by Gail M Tinney; 05-20-2012 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

I store mine with full sheets of the same. That way I grab the color cardstock of pack of printed paper that I want to use and I have the scraps right there. It works great for me. I'm very good at using the scraps before I cut into another full sheet.

I store my 12x12 papers in the Cropper Hopper or Paper Studio Scrap Storage Pockets or the Sticker Envelope version. Both of them have pockets on the side where I can store scraps. The first one has a gusseted bottom and can store more paper.

For 8 1/2 x 11 paper and cardstock, I use page protectors and just slip the scraps in front of the whole sheets. There are larger page protectors that will hold about 25 sheets of cardstock that are great for my SU cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #60  
Cardstock Collector

A local craft type store (spotlight) had awesome 12x12 zip up files for Patterned paper and such I have one for PP sorted by colour, one for cs again sorted by colour, one for complete ranges, and one for my cs and paper scraps that is again sorted by colour I find it works for me best this way as often before cutting into a new piece of pp I actually look through my scraps depending on what I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Stackable Plastic Drawers

I have four three drawer unitw with clear plastic drawers. I have each drawer labeled for which color cardstock is in it. I then leave one drawer for designer paper scraps.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your paper scraps?-dscn1102.jpg  

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #62  
Cardstock Collector

I use cheap photoboxes from Michaels and cut out large cardboard dividers to separate scraps by colour. Smaller shapes that I've cut out but didn't end up using goes into labelled envelopes. I try to be good about going through scraps before resorting to a new full sized sheet of cardstock / paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #63  
Cardstock Collector

Red face Paper scraps

This might be mean, but I a m going to tell you all how I keep my scraps, but I can't take a pic right now....

I use 2 clear 12X12 boxes that a friend gave to me. One box for printed paper scraps, and one for solid color scraps.

Later tonight...if I remember, I will come home and ame a pic to post. My system is working great for me!

Eileen

P.s. I think this might be the first time I have ever posted here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post
As I have been doing the scrap organization project, I have cut the larger scraps to 5.5" square max. That way I know it is big enough for regular card or square card. And it fits well in e boxes I bought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #65  
Cardstock Collector

OK y'all! I posted 3 days ago about posting pictures of my paper and paper scraps storage and still havent done it yet! I am going to try right now! I love my paper organization!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #66  
Mad Swapper

I have a lidded rolling cart designed to hold 12x12 paper. I sort all my scraps by their color, (red, orange, yellow.... ivory, black, kraft, vellum... etc.) I don't sort between CS and DSP, it just all gets tossed in there. I love having the scraps available, and always look in there before I cut down paper from a fresh sheet. But I do need to purge some of the smaller pieces that make their way to the bottom and take up a lot of room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by swldebbieView Post
Found this on Pinterest -- another great scrap storage idea. The blog is not in English, so not sure if this is a shoe holder or not -- in the pic the pockets seem wider than my shoe storage. Click here to view
Oh I am so gonna try this! I used this plastic over-the-door pocket shoe holder to store my girls' Barbies then their hair accessories. Right now I store most of my scraps in a too-big file box using envelopes to separate them by color. I can't bear to throw anything away, and I do use the tiniest of scraps to 'practice' on before I attempt to use my 'good' paper. This comes in handy especially when I'm not sure how a certain color ink will show up on the given paper. I also try out new color combinations - much easier to see layers with small pieces. So often I just need a little piece (for the center of a flower for example) - it makes me THINK I will use all of those tiny scraps...now if I SEE them hanging in front of me maybe I truly WILL use them all up. Thanks for sharing that tip!! Great to read how everyone else does things...always something to learn from you great crafters out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #68  
Glitter Queen

I absolutely LOVE This idea! I am going to try this with my paper stash ASAP. Sounds like it works perfectly for all 8 1/2x11 sheets, I have such an issue keeping the colors separated. I think it would be great to keep the scrap together too. Then you know you are using the most appropriate piece each time. What do you do with the 12x12?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for this post. I have been wondering the same thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

I ran across this a few days ago. Love how she adhered an envelope to the back of the pads to keep scraps. I have several (ahem...understatement) pads both 6 X 6 and 12 X 12. For the 12 X 12, you can use a large manila envelope.

SugarPea Designs: Cardstock and Paper Pad Storage Ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #71  
Glitter Queen

Default Storing Paper Scraps

I sort my cs scraps by color and store them in a binder/folder with pocket dividers. Each color goes into it's own pocket. I have a binder/folder (it doesn't have rings) that came with 17 pocket dividers.

I take my printed paper scraps and punch them with a 3 hole punch and place them in a 3 ring binder in no certain order. If the scrap isn't large enough for 3 holes it will at least fit over two rings. Most of my printed paper is double sided and that way I can flip through and see the pattern on both sides.

I don't have a lot of space and this system doesn't take up much room. I keep both next to my 2 vertical plastic hanging file containers (Iris I think). One holds my cs divided by color, the other my printed paper by color or theme. To save on space in the containers, I keep my holiday papers & paper pads on a closet shelf, since I only use them certain times of the year.

So far it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

I also store my scraps in one of those 5 drawer units on wheels. I always go to it before using any full sheets of paper. Each drawer is labelled with the colours of paper it contains.

When a piece of paper seems too small to bother keeping, I punch a shape (or a few shapes!) I am likely to use (such as a bird, star, flower, leaf, or heart) out of it right away and then put what's left in my recycling bin. It only takes a minute of time and I keep the container of shapes on my table to have them easily accressible. I make a lot of scrapbooks and for nieces and nephews so I know which shapes I am likely to use. It cuts down on the time it takes to prepare birthday cards or scrapbook pages because the shapes are in so many colours it's rare I have to go punching more! I hate to waste, so I feel better knowing the paper will be used!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

I have 3 drawers -- one for cool colors, one for warm and one for neutral. When it comes to pattern paper I just decide what I feel the dominate scheme is (warm, cool, neutral) and put it there. Then every 6 or so months I go through it all and toss the scraps that I know I don't like anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #74  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by swldebbieView Post
With the exception of the smallest scraps, I find it really difficult to part with paper scraps. And, to my credit, sometimes I do use them. But they sure can take up a lot of space and I haven't found a way yet where it's easy to see what I have so that I use them more.

So my questions for the group are this:
1) How do you store your paper scraps?
2) Do you purge your saved scraps and, if so, how often?
3) How good are you at actually using the scraps you've saved?

1) I store my scraps in an accordion file folder I got at Big Lots a couple of years ago. It has the main accordion part, plus in the front it has a smaller accordion part as well as a box on top that I store small projects in.

2) I haven't purged my saved scraps.

3) I go to my scraps immediately after I pick the card base. I also let my niece use my scraps when she stays/visits. She's 14 and loves to make cards.

Her mom loves that she can come over here and play in my craft room.

I'll try to take a picture of my accordion file.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #75  
Crimping Master

Oh I do have my scraps separated by color. But do keep the patterned paper with the card stock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #76  
Crimping Master

I posted on my blog a few pictures of how my scraps are stored

If y'all are interested y'all can find it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #77  
Cardstock Collector

I am still in the process of organizing my craft room. This time I am determined to not let the scraps take over, so I'm going to start a new system that my BFF suggested. She uses this method and says it works for her... I cut down any scraps to either a 6x6 or A2 size. The largest card I'll make is a 6x6, so that's why I picked that size. Anything larger would need to be a letter or 12x12 size for me to keep it. Then I organized them by color in a basket for the 6x6 and plastic shoe box for the A2. I'm leaving those on my desk to encourage me to use those scraps first. If I can't find what I need in those containers, then I can go to my letter size or 12x12 sized papers.

I haven't been able to craft too much, but so far it seems to be working for me. I'm hoping this will help keep me more organized and less waste! Good luck everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #78  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I sort mine (by color) in hanging file folders that are on top of my Iris carts for easy access.

Last edited by punch-crazy; 07-26-2012 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: added image
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #79  
Glitter Guru

I store mine the SAME way...in clear sheet protectors at the front of the hanging file folder for said color...I just cut the sheet protecors down to fit my reg size hanging files with my regular stash Works great to use up the lil pieces!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdzignsView Post
I am currently working with a small space. I store my solid color cardstock in hanging file folders by color. In the front of each hanging file I have a clear sheet protector that I place my scraps into. When I am making a card and need a small piece all I have to do is pull the page protector out and see if I have a piece of scrap that wll suit my need. This has also helped me reduce the amount of scraps I have because I don't have to hunt for colors anymore and the scraps actually get used.

Last edited by SayStampsPlease; 07-29-2012 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

I store mine in a plastic crate (you can pretty much get them anywhere) with hanging file folders. Each color has it's own folder - red, yellow, green, blue, etc.... and a folder for DSP.

That way, all I need to know is what color - I grab the folder and viola!
Reply With Quote Likes