Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you store your paper?

I'm looking for a new way to store paper. I currently store it in a rolling file folder rack, which isn't working, because I have too much paper now. Mainly, it's the 12x12 sheets of DSP that I have. As well, it's the scraps and stuff too.

Thanks so much.

~~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Hey Heather! I just posted a video on my blog of a tour of my room and I show how I store my paper. It's nothing special.

I have my 12 x 12 DSP in the SU holders (currently sitting on the floor...not ideal...and they got wet when all our snow melted...long story...but I hope to have a home for them after a trip to IKEA). My regular cardstock I have in two milk crate type file holders from wal mart. Current stuff on top and I have retired colors and extra packs on the bottom so it's right at my desk height so I can grab and stamp.

ETA: Tired and forgot.....my scraps I have by color collection in hanging file folders. I just dump them in the folder and then I go looking for whatever color I need when I'm punching or stamping something small.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member

Last edited by Minders; 03-13-2011 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

What a fun video Mindy!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

For my 12 x 12 DSP and Cardstock, I have the Retropect boxes and file folders that I got online at Joan.com I like them and they have held up great. My sweet daughter, who is always on the lookout for storage for me, found these "Really Useful Boxes" (yes, that's the name of them) at Office Depot, they are plastic and very toteable, come with some file folders... I LOVE them. I like that both type of boxes have lids and keep the dust, cat and dog hair out....lol

I keep my other cardstock in a file cabinet that is next to my desk, is handy to just pull what colors I need.

Now that Mindy has made her first video.... I'm going to have to get busy and "think" about making one too....lol...lol

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #5  

Thanks Faith:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Mindy- love the video. You have so many stamps- holy cow!!!! Speaking of closets, my closet is completely full of wedding stuff and my wedding was 2.5 years ago. I should probably go through it and post it on Destination Wedding Board for super cheap, but I don't know if I can get ride of it that easily. I would be able though to take off the closet doors and use the closet for more of a work area, maybe some paper racks- but that would be too smart for me to do.

I like your way of housing scraps- I tend to toss my scraps, I know horrible hey? I just can't stand clutter and so when I get a scrap, I throw it in my recycling bin. I need to stop that though because I'm starting to run out of paper.

I have these shelves from IKEA plus the extenders on top [which haven't been put up yet]. I need some place to store my ink pads- I should just get the SU ones.

My craftroom is divided in half because we have two bookcases full of textbooks, plus a pile of textbooks next to the bookcases, and my hubby's desk is in there too. We have an extra TV now that he got the projector, but I don't have the wall space to hang it. :(

I need to take pictures, but since I can't find my memory card, it will have to wait.

~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #7  

I don't like the ink pad caddy from SU *gasp* I know....I'm going to order some holders from organizemore.com. I like having all of my colors showing at all times so that's why I don't like the SU turntable one.....

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing fancy here, I have 5 SU containers on a shelf for 81/2 x 11 cardstock and a couple of Sterlite drawers for DSP. I have extra cardstock in a file drawer and more 12 x 12 paper on the same shelf. I don't have all that much paper especially patterned paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I don't like the ink pad caddy from SU *gasp* I know....I'm going to order some holders from organizemore.com. I like having all of my colors showing at all times so that's why I don't like the SU turntable one.....
Organizemore.com is amazing. However, they don't ship international so I can't order from them. :(

~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #10  

Oh that stinks...I forget that you guys in CAN can't always get what we can...bummer:-/

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I keep my 12x12 in vertical cropper hopper files. 8 1/2 x 11 in a vertical holder (magazine holder). Scraps in a 12x22 accordion folder. All NeutralROYGBP. I store patterned paper behind the cardstock of the same color (yellow pp comes after yellow cs). Everything separated by dividers.

I like it because nothing gets bent, I can pull out the folder that has the color I need and 'browse,' and I can store more this way than horizontally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

My 12 x 12 is on the cropper hopper magazien style holders and y 8 1/2 x 11 is in a filing cabinettype thing. Each color has its own hanging folder and I throw all my scraps in there. Anytime I need a color I just open the folder and try to get the smallest piece that I can use. I keep them witht heir color families and my retured and in color goe into a lower cabinet

It's all just a number as long as I feel good and I'm eating healthy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 497 Likes on 275 Posts

Well, I *will* be storing my paper on commercial 12 X 12 paper racks from a JoAnn's that is moving. I bought a double wide stack that's 15 slots high, and a single stack also 15 slots high. I'm planning on using the double for the 12 inch paper and cardstock, and the single for 8 1/2 by 11 cardstock. When I actually figure out where in my craft room these will end up, I'm planning on making a posterboard cover (to fit over the top, sides and front) to make sure nothing gets light damage.
I also scored 2 racks for 8 1/2 by 11, that are 15 slots high, but very high slots, and level, not angled. I'm planning on making shallow boxes that fit in the slots, to hold my ever-expanding collection of individual rubber stamps. (I keep buying unmounted rubber, and self-mounting them) If I do it right, I should be able to put 2 boxes into each opening. Labeled by theme, this should make it SO much easier to find what I'm looking for!
Oh, and by the way, they cost me $5 for each rack. Yup, $20 total. Happy stamper!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
Well, I *will* be storing my paper on commercial 12 X 12 paper racks from a JoAnn's that is moving. I bought a double wide stack that's 15 slots high, and a single stack also 15 slots high. I'm planning on using the double for the 12 inch paper and cardstock, and the single for 8 1/2 by 11 cardstock. When I actually figure out where in my craft room these will end up, I'm planning on making a posterboard cover (to fit over the top, sides and front) to make sure nothing gets light damage.
I also scored 2 racks for 8 1/2 by 11, that are 15 slots high, but very high slots, and level, not angled. I'm planning on making shallow boxes that fit in the slots, to hold my ever-expanding collection of individual rubber stamps. (I keep buying unmounted rubber, and self-mounting them) If I do it right, I should be able to put 2 boxes into each opening. Labeled by theme, this should make it SO much easier to find what I'm looking for!
Oh, and by the way, they cost me $5 for each rack. Yup, $20 total. Happy stamper!!!
Whoa- good deall on scoring that!!!! You must have been at the right place at the right time!!!!

~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 497 Likes on 275 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherlaView Post
Whoa- good deall on scoring that!!!! You must have been at the right place at the right time!!!!

~~
I thought I'd have to wait until the paper was sold to get it, but the store manager took all the paper off right then- I think she wanted as much gone as she could get rid of! (I was thrilled to get these, and so cheaply)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I found I was not using my 12 x 12 paper so quickly when it was stored that size. I took all that paper and if I found I would not use it, really took a long look at the piece I put it in a pile to sell off. I then took all the others and if I would not be using them for scrapbooking I cut them into 6 x 6 pieces and filed all the like designs in boxes. I actually labelled them. I find I am now more able to see a piece of dp and use it for cards quicker this way. It was hard for me to image cutting up a 12 x 12 piece. The boxes I found at my costco. They are just plain boxes that were holding two bottled of the epsom salts on the pallets. I took a couple each time I went. I don't think anyone minded. The rest of my cardstock and dp that is still 12 x 12 is stored in my craft shelf. I purchased one last year and I am so pleased with it. If I had the room I would get another one. They are a little pricey but so worth it for the storage I am able to have. I combined shelves and drawers. The drawers are plastic so I labelled them for sorting my embossing powders, reinkers, punches and I even bought some dividers for my brads.

Scrapbook Storage for Scrapbooking Paper Storage Scrapbook Paper Shelf Organizer Organizers Shelves

For my regular SU cardstock I was able to purchase two plastic units that have a filing capacity in the bottom drawers. I have hanging files for them and also drop the pieces back into the file so the colors are together. I never reach for a new piece of cardstock if I can use a scrap first and they are right there to choose from.

Good luck with your storage. It took me a long time to get mine to where I am happy. Now I just need more space.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I use 12 x 12 trays from Display Dynamics in my stamproom here

I have a lot of pics of my room with explanation of where I bought things that might help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I'm not into Scrapping. I cut my 12x12 down to 8x8 or 6x6.

I have a couple of clear storage boxes with lids.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #19  

Funny this thread should come up because on another message board (not too long ago) I just posted this photo of how I store my card stock. Now this is my 8 1/2" x 11" card stock.

I use a Luv's diaper box, it's the perfect size. The rest of my card stock I store in my scrap box as well as my 12" x 12" card stock.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your paper?-card-stock.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

What a those of you who are on design teams or send your cards for publication calls. How do you store your items so you know what company, your cardstock DSP and stamps are from for your supplies lists?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #21  
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Heather,
I've just posted on my blog my way of storing my 12 x 12 paper using cheap magazine holders from Ikea. It works for me.

My Blog :http://aokspaperstuff.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes