Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Evernote dummy

HI,
I hear so many wonderful things about Evernote and actually have it installed on all my devices...I'm a MAC user. But I guess I'm intimidated by it. I just read recently that one can't really experience the beauty of it until you use all the different functions. Have you found that to be true? Do you need to get more storage space on the computer or in the cloud?

Can you recommend a good tutorial? I'd rather read instructions than watch a video if that matters.

Thanks,
mob
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a tutorial using a MAC:

SillyLeAnn Designs: Evernote Tutorial - Part 1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

anyone have evernote for dummies? Not a MAC user. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I do not have evernote for dummies but I have another ebook I downloaded have not read it yet but getting ready to
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's another link:
Ink On My Whiskers: Creating a Stamp Index Using Evernote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've made a small dent with inventorying things with Evernote. I love it!!

They did update Evernote a month or so ago and looks a little different than the screenshots on the tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Evernote has been a great tool for me. Now I see how much I really don't need. I have added so many things. Like my Troll and Brighton beads and even what I have from Bath & Body Works. I love the fact that it updates on all my devices - iPad, iPhone, & desktop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I have Evernote on my PC's iPad and iPhone and I use it for some things. We also use it at work for Project Management. I would caution anyone using it that you must be connected to the internet to access your notes unless you are a premium user (read pay money). Then you can store your notes locally on your device/PC.

I also wanted to share an alternative for those of you using an iPad/iPhone/iPod (not sure if it is available on the Mac). The app is called "List Master". It is excellent for inventory of craft supplies. You can customize what information you want to store for each list of items. And you can have separate lists for different craft items (ink pad colors, stamp sets, washi tape, etc.) or you could split it out by company name. It is completely customizable for your needs. You can store photos for each and take the photo directly with your device. So far I have all my Sweet N Sassy Stamps sets in a list and another list for my distress inks.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had decided to switch to Evernote and then discovered I would not be able to access it on my iPad unless I was connected, which is a problem if I'm standing there at some store holding three things in my hand. I ultimately solved my problem by simply taking quick pictures of all my tools, dies, stamps, etc, using my iPad camera. Then I created photo albums for each category. They are all there in my iPad, and I can see them- which is handy for items like scroll dies and certain word stamps. You can use several different Happy Birthday stamps, as long as they are not the same font. Anyway, that works very well for me, I can also access my albums on my iPhone via the Cloud, and keeping these photo inventories has really helped me cut down on shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Default lost all my evernote notes...?

I finally updated to ios 7 on my iphone and every one of the notes i've accumulated over the last 2 years is gone (as far as i can see). I'm hoping this is a case of operator error & they're just hiding somewhere. I was planning on doing my stamp inventory during the winter break but if this is a possibility again down the road, no thank you. Its on my phone which is always connected to the internet one way or another so that's not the problem.

So has anyone else "lost" their notes & found them again somehow???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Melissa,

Do you have the link for ''List Master''.
Also can you save their list to your computer or phone and have access without and internet connection? My Samsung phone has wi-fi but no internet Web connection. Having access to my inventory when shopping would be great, but when there is not internet....well the list is useless.

Thanks.

Therese
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have Evernote downloaded, but never used.
I do use/love another app called Krafts Inventory
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kraf...440630545?mt=8

it was $2.99. It's all customize-able, as far as categories, lists, etc. It has a barcode scan feature - you can scan the barcode of the stamp or die, etc and if it has it in the database, it will add the picture to the file. If it doesn't find it, it is super easy to grab pic from google images or snap a pic and load in.

Took me awhile to decide the best way to set up that would make sense to me. Since not every stamp has a "name" that would make sense, i labelled them in a way that is quick to scroll through while shopping- - so i have all stamps related to flowers starting with the word Floral- then the name of the stamp- - so Floral-Rose, Blooming (instead of the actual name of the stamp which was blooming rose)

scary part - I discovered that i have 750 stamps, over 312 dies and 200+ inks. maybe i was better off not knowing that???

anyway, love using it while shopping to remember what i already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

subbing :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy3840View Post
So has anyone else "lost" their notes & found them again somehow???
Try uninstalling then reinstalling the Evernote app.. The notes should come back. This seems to work for most people having this issue. If not, then go to evernote.com/contact/support for assistance in resolving.

We have not had this problem but the above instructions were found in Evernote's forums. Good Luck!

Barb (with thanks to my hubby...he's the techy around here!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I have been using List Master. I like having my lists available offline. I also got Tim Holtz's app. It has all his products listed and you can just touch the screen to add or subtract what you own. It seems to be updated fairly often.
As far as my stamps go…well, about ten years ago I had over a thousand. I would be afraid to do a count now! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the TH app and have been using it for some time. I'm checking out Listmaster versus Evernote. Thanks all,
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been using a data base program called my stuff pro 2. It's amazing and their customer support is awesome! You can organize all kinds of things in different categories from your DVDs and CDs, household goods and books to your stamps and paper all in different categories, all at the same time. I use to have Evernote and was not impressed. Could be different now I guess. My stuff does take some setting up but if you have trouble, as I said, customer service was great.

So here's how it works. Mind you, this is once it's set up because hubby did that but this is how you enter each item. And I'm only entering stamps but each category is customizable with anything you want for anything you want.

Stamp set name. This is typed and must be so it generates an alphabetical list for you. Every other field of data is your choice of picture, pull down menu, typed words, number value etc. Next add a photo. You can add up to thirty photos if you wish. I do one or two. You can choose a photo you've taken (and edited if necessary) or take one right then and it has editing capabilities before you save it and lots of options. You can also add an attachment. Maybe if you are reciting something valuable like art you might want a PDF of a provenance or appraisal?

Next is manufacturer and this is a pull down menu. That means it saves any you've typed in before so you can choose from that list or hit the + button and add a new one at any time so less typing. Then how many stamps in the set. This may seem silly but if a stamp is lost, how would I know if I dont know the set well? Many of my UM sets don't have index sheets and it's so easy for a polymer or tiny rubber stamp to get stuck to anything plastic. I can't tell you how many ink pads and rulers I've put away with stamps stuck to the bottom. Anyway, press a + button to increase the number or press another button to go to a different screen with wheels on it that spin which is way faster for sets with larger numbers of stamps in them.

The next field is type of stamp and the choices are clear, rubber, EZ mount rubber, silicone and foam, wood-mounted rubber. Obviously, I can tell mostly from the photo, but if I'm going to this much trouble, why not be thorough? The next box to fill is size of set: large, medium, small, mini and individual. Then location stored. This is another pull down menu like the manufacturer so once you've typed it, the program saves it. I know my work space is too small so where I save them depends on type, manufacturer and how often I use them so I have quite a few places, nooks and crannies they are stored. This sooo helps me keep track especially considering how often I reorganize. I often remember the SECOND last place a stamp set lived.

I also added a field for stamp graphic type. This is where I put whether a stamp set is all sentiments, all images or both. Next is specialty. This is a general purpose place to write down anything special about the set. For instance, if a stamp set is part of a series, I note it here like the Pure Innocence by MFT. I remember this now but may not in the future. Or if I bought the set with a specific project, style or coloring medium in mind. Here is also where I add if a set has matching dies.

Then I have three Y/N boxes. 1) Does the set contain mini images? like little hearts, flowers, stars, arrows, squares, ampersands, dashes etc? 2) Is the set good for coloring? 3) Does the set contain mini backgrounds or patterns? They may not be good for a whole card or ven half or a 1/4 of a card but work for tags or bookmarks, small areas of a card, alpha stickers, die cuts or other really small things? Id like to add a Y/N box for matching dies also so I don't have to remember to add it to the specialty area.

Next up is tags. I have a LOT of tags. I have seasons, themes (friend, beach, cancer, chalkboard) shapes, different celebrations, my favourite images I use a lot like birds, flowers (I don't have as many really good ones as you'd think), my favourite sentiments but also my least used ones so I can find them when I need them. Basically I tried to think about, "what am I always saying to myself 'I wish I could remember where that xxx stamp is. (Sigh) I guess I'll just use the xxy instead.'" Or alternately I go INSANE looking for the xxx stamp and then find it two days later while looking for something else. I started making a paper list and then thought this is getting ridiculous. So I asked hubby to find me an app!

Last but not least is a notes section. I use it rarely but just in case. Hubby warned me to make sure I had everything I wanted because he wouldn't be changing it all the time.

You may be wondering why I added all these fields when I have the name and photo. It's because I can search them. I don't know if Evernote can do that. I can search every category for anything I've typed there. And it's so simple. If I want any stamp set with sympathy in it, as long as I've tagged it sympathy, I'm golden. Manufactured by Taylored Expressions, 5 seconds to look it up. I can not only figure it which set but where I store it and have my hands on it in seconds. It does take a while to set up with so many sets but I'm working on it. I try and take a few photos each time I'm in my craft room and always when I get new sets and when I get sets out to use them. Takes about 1 minute to add them to the program. Even scarier, by adding the number of stamps, you can get a grand total. I've only added a tiny fraction of my stamps an I was at over 800. Gahh!

Anyway, I hope some of you will try it. Even with the pro part, it's still under $10 and with every penny, seriously. Have more questions? Email me. [email protected]
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have an app called ScrapStash - it has barcode reader as well - been a while since I used it though - trying not to buy anything - so the only thing I have bought is Graphic 45 new releases lol. ScrapStash does let you search but I hope that they will soon have a list feature or category list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Evernote is able to search within a photo for words or phrases. If I search Happy Birthday, it will pull up any note with that phrase in it even though I don't tag the note with Birthday.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

What is the Tim holtz app.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBeaversView Post
What is the Tim holtz app.
This:

Tim Holtz App - YouTube

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I found that Evernote has taken precious storage space on my iPad..and has overloaded it to the point that I can't even store all my songs and pictures! Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I use a Nook HD and an Android phone for Evernote, along with my PC. I have over 1000 notes currently and am not showing any issues with storage. I thought the majority of storage took place in the "cloud"?

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 180 Likes on 121 Posts

I just updated my evernote and it said it was sending me an email, when I installed the program I created an evernote email address but where do I go to check these Evernote Emails?
Reply With Quote Likes