Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you label your embossing folders?

I am in the process of organizing my craft room. WHAT A DISASTER!!! :shock:

What I'm doing is also taking inventory of everything that I have and putting it into an excel spreadsheet. That way, when I have the urge to spend, I can look back to see if I already have the item (cause sadly, when I cleaned everything out....there were many multiples of items) :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I'm in the process of finding out what the names are of all of my embossing folders. I only have 41 but man, was that a task. I recently made a Stamp-n-Storage purchase and I got one of the boxes that holds the embossing folders. Now I just want to label them so I can see at a glance at what I have. I'm thinking of getting some address labels and maybe adhering them to the front of the folder. Do you think that would work?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Address labels should work. I use my P-Touch to label everything. Love that tool! When I go to gatherings I put my name on all my stuff...tools, ink pads, acrylic blocks, Snapware totes, etc. I try to label my embossing folders as soon as I bring them home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
Address labels should work. I use my P-Touch to label everything. Love that tool! When I go to gatherings I put my name on all my stuff...tools, ink pads, acrylic blocks, Snapware totes, etc. I try to label my embossing folders as soon as I bring them home.
Thank you. Does Walmart sell the P-touch? I'm heading there tomorrow. And now that I am almost done taking inventory of what I have, I'm going to make sure when I buy stuff, I come home and put it straight into my spreadsheet. Makes it a lot easier to keep track of stuff.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Think Walmart sell Dymo (but may depend on the Walmart).

BTW if you have a smart phone you may want to organize with Evernote AP - you can have it on your computer and your phone so it is synced and with you when you are shopping.

I have to say I am doing it in batches and the cool thing is that you can easily clip pictures of your supplies off the internet to add to your note if you are a visual person.

People organize everything from crafting tutorials to supplies and techniques with it.

I'm trying to label up ATM - got multiple drawers labelled last week. I tend to do things in bits and pieces so it isn't a chore. Last night I was adding supplies to Evernote, today I might use my labeller and label more drawers.

Good luck - you can do this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I used to with the very small return address labels. But since I've create a record of my supplies in Evernote I've stopped doing so. I can easily look up my inventory there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Be sure to buy extra label refills if you buy a labeler! I have gone through lots of it and sometimes it's not convenient to go to Staples, etc. to buy refills.

Look for a labeler with different point sizes of text. My P-Touch has several sizes of text which is great if you what big for labeling drawers or having my name tiny for labeling markers that I take to gatherings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a P-Touch and use it for a lot of things, but I go low-tech on the embossing folders - I just write the name right on it with a Sharpie...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I have a P-Touch and use it for a lot of things, but I go low-tech on the embossing folders - I just write the name right on it with a Sharpie...
I'm even more low tech - I don't write the name on my folder, just a number and I have a sample with the same number and those are all on a ring. I found that so many of the folders have names that just didn't make sense to me, so I figured why bother. I don't publish or sell so it's not important for me to have the correct name or manufacturer.

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm very, very low tech. So, no I don't. I have about 15.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I clip off the name of the folder from the package apply a piece of Scotch tape over it. I found that markering or labeling w/address label-type tended to rub off after a while. Over-taping would fix that as well.

I have been doing the same with my punches lately as well. Since I i.d. everything I use in my classes, it's really helpful to me not to have to stop and look it up elsewhere.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

With all the "brand" protection it is rather amazing that companies aren't labeling their product better and that we have to do it for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,125 Likes on 507 Posts

I don't label mine... I usually just give credit to the company who made the folder, and that's already printed on the ones I have.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Me too I don't even know what a P -Touch is!! off to google!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I wrote the name on all of mine with a Cd marker pen, along with an 'E' and 'D' for which was the embossing or debossing side, for the ones its not instantly obvious. Then I made a sample of each one and put these in a small A5 binder.
Do you label your embossing folders?-img_4941-copy.jpg
I find it helpful to see what each will look like against my project- saves doing a sheet and finding its too 'busy' for what I'm doing, for instance.
originally, when I only had a few I had them strung on a circle clip, but now they've piled up a bit, the binder works better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

I use my p-touch for everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Exactly the same for me :p

I store mine in one of the SU boxes and have divider pages with samples for each divider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #17  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I have about 30 or 40. I don't label mine....I have some that are two sided so labelling them would be difficult. But I have decided that I'm done buying them.....Sure - there are so many neat designs out there that I just LOVE....but I really don't NEED anymore. I can make do with what I have.

Love the idea of the samples on the ring clip....makes it easy to see what it will look like once it's embossed.

Honestly, I need to take some time and go through mine to see what is the best "sandwich"/layer to get the best impression. I seriously need to reorganize my crafty stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I don't label mine... I usually just give credit to the company who made the folder, and that's already printed on the ones I have.
I dont either. Sometimes the names don't really tell you what the design is and if you buy from SU, Sizzix, Darsie, and Cuttlebug they may all have a similar name but very very different patterns. So I leave mine unlabled and just enjoy flipping through when I need one. I like the idea of a ring that you could carry around with samples though. It could help prevent re-buys if you take it shopping with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 05:55 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take the background card from the embossing folder and using my Dymo labler, add the name of the folder to the top left of the card. Then I put it into a basket with the embossing folder behind the card. I have tons of them and this has helped me make sure to put it back in the right spot each time. After using them a number of times, I remember what they are called. Pretty good for someone who can't remember what she did two minutes ago! :O) If I want to go somewhere and take my folders, I just grab the basket and I'm all ready. My cousin and I share, so this works for me. And, yes, if you buy a labeler, be sure to buy extra rolls of tape to go with it. I usually have at least one extra in my stash at all times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
I dont either. Sometimes the names don't really tell you what the design is and if you buy from SU, Sizzix, Darsie, and Cuttlebug they may all have a similar name but very very different patterns. So I leave mine unlabled and just enjoy flipping through when I need one. I like the idea of a ring that you could carry around with samples though. It could help prevent re-buys if you take it shopping with you.
I agree on the names so I've organized mine by categories: geometric, flowers, ornate/vintage, words, holidays, etc. It saves me a little bit of time flipping. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

I use Anna Griffin embossing folder sleeves to store the embossing folders in and love them. These then fit very well into the Container Store's bamboo video boxes. I have two of these filled with embossing folders! I use "Notes" on my iPhone to list the embossing folders by name and manufacturer to avoid buying doubles. I have "notes" on all major scrapping supply categories and this has saved me time and money! I can access it very quickly in a store or at EXPOs. Evernote takes too much time to set up and access in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just label mine with a black Sharpie. I keep a photocopy of them in a small notebook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

It's like the twilight zone around here! This is third time just as I am getting ready to re-org something a thread on it comes in. I am one lucky puppy!!!! Just as I start to break a sweat...in comes all these suggestions!

I had been putting samples in a binder but I really like the loose on a ring idea much better so I am going to convert to that. I might do two holes/rings along top though.

Now I am trying to decide if I do it by name, by size (a2 then 6 x6, then A-7) or by subject. I am leaning towards size. It will bother my anal eyes if the sizes are all mixed up. I dont have enough (yet) to do separate rings by size. That would probably make me happiest...maybe I need to buy more! And that is what we call lying to oneself. LOL

What do you do if you bother at all?

As for the folders I am trying to get hold of a 5 x 7 pocket binder I saw that Scrap mart (?) has been out of forever. Until then I am just in a plastic bin.

Oh-I just got a P-touch this weekend! Costco is taking $10 off the machine and a couple of rolls so it ends up being like 20 bucks. I think that is till the end of the month. One is a 12mm tape and one is a 18mm tape. So now it's not just different fonts but tape sizes too. These things are getting very fancy! DH wanted it for labeling spice jars. Just got another purpose! The four replacement rolls there are $38-I did not know if that was a lot so I did not get them till I go around and shop it. That was my one hesitance..I didnt want another something where the part costs a lot of money over time like printers and cartridges. That's bad enough.

I think I still have my old manual labler somewhere...where you spin a wheel to the letter and squeeze it to impress the letter and then repeat till done. I dont remember what that was called, but the tapes did come in different colors. But a lot of labels did make your hand cramp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh you have an old Dymo labeller. Dymo also make electronic labellers now too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

This is what I do, too. I only really ned it when I do the write up of supplies for my gallery. Nice to know what the darn name of it was if someone asks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhototakerView Post
I take the background card from the embossing folder and using my Dymo labler, add the name of the folder to the top left of the card. Then I put it into a basket with the embossing folder behind the card. I have tons of them and this has helped me make sure to put it back in the right spot each time. After using them a number of times, I remember what they are called. Pretty good for someone who can't remember what she did two minutes ago! :O) If I want to go somewhere and take my folders, I just grab the basket and I'm all ready. My cousin and I share, so this works for me. And, yes, if you buy a labeler, be sure to buy extra rolls of tape to go with it. I usually have at least one extra in my stash at all times.
Oooh, I really like this idea! I usually stick something in the basket where the one goes that I'm using---and then, of course, can't find that thing when I'm looking for it before I return the folder to its place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you Kristen Peeling those apart could really stick you under the fingernail. :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have an electronic dymo and p-touch (long story) but what is great is randomly I have trouble finding tapes for one or the other so it is good to have both (I keep telling myself) and I eventually feel that at least one child will liberate one from me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

LOL. Children do seem to have that tendency to relieve us of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 03:01 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
LOL. Children do seem to have that tendency to relieve us of things.
Usually dollars...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

and pyrex... with attached food! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

I used return address labels on which I put the name of the embossing folder, then put clear packing tape over it. Haven't had one come off yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I write on the folder the name and company with a Sharpie marker. I keep them(60 and counting!) in embossing folder binders that are made by Darice. Each binder holds 40 folders in plastic pockets. It has a zipper around the binder that makes it easy to transport them to crops etc. They have 2 sizes of binders- one for reg. quarter fold cards and one for 5X7. The binders are black cloth and very sturdy. I tried other ways to store them but I like this best. You open it and quickly look at 8 folders at a time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

from the heart...

I have been looking at those binders...I have a couple of Qs...
1) where did you get them? people list them but then are always out of stock!
2) I just read a lot of neg reviews on them saying they stick to the plastic pockets very badly and the plastic so thin it is tearing...when a bunch of people have the same issue I kind of pay of attention more...I was wondering if baby powder would be ok for the sticking or the embossing buddy...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a bin full of embossing folders. I labeled mine by putting a piece of scotch tape on mine, wrote the name then put another piece of tape over that so it wouldn't rub or wear off.

Stephanie Vittorio

Stuff I've Stamped
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Not willing do divulge how many EF I have; however, I use my p-touch (made by Brother and readily available from Office Depot/OfficeMax). I tried evernote for my smartphone inventory, but found Krafts Inventory much more user friendly. Does take time to load, but I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have two of the electronic Dymo labelers and I label each folder and store holidays together and the rest alphabetical by maker.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

No. After I open them, I throw the packing away and put them in a basket. I don't care what name brand or the name of the pattern is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I use a sharpie. I do care because if I'm looking for, say, my paisley folder, I don't want to flip through and actually look closely at every single folder to find it. I can just flip through until I see the word paisley and grab it out. I thought about labels but thought they would act as a shim and make it emboss deeper in that area of the folder.
I'm a label user. I think the printer labels might shim that part, but the label machine ones seem thinner and I haven't noticed a shim mark.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Color coding with a sharpie and by brand

I keep mine propped upright in a small IKEA box on my shelf/table. I write the name (or a name that is easy to identify what it is (eg. Snowflake not "lovely snowflake"). The Darice ones are brown, the SU! are orange, and the Cuttlebug are purple. I also then have a separate section for holidays or seasonal items... Then I alphabetize them. It's really so much easier on my brain!

See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you label your embossing folders?-embossing-folder-organization-makani.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes