Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #81  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeedubyaView Post
I call mine my stamp space or scrap room. My kids call it Mama's room. My husband calls it the black hole of lost cash. ;)
LOL! Truer words were never spoken!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #82  
Crimping Master

I have jealousy for anyone with a craft room or studio! LOL I have an armoire and a corner in the hall closet. It would be so nice to have a space where I could just go without having to take everything out and put it back away. Oh well, I'm lucky enough to have the supplies I think I could convince my hubby to finish the basement if I promised he'd never have to see another paper scrap, punch confetti, or glitter ever again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

I work from my dining room table and have to pack everything up and put it away each time I'm done. I have an **** husband and he won't stand for me leaving anything out.
MY ETSY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #84  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodersmom9View Post
I work from my dining room table and have to pack everything up and put it away each time I'm done. I have an **** husband and he won't stand for me leaving anything out.
Does your husband's description begin with an "A" and end in an "L"...mine does. He's great and usually bites his tongue, but the pressure is there...LOL
I usually work at night while we watch sitcoms. That explains a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #85  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Margaritaville - I wish, Southern Indiana for real, but a Parrothead at heart.

I had taken over my daughter's old bedroom as my craft room, which I refer to as "The Rubber Room". Even though it also contains my sewing machine, computer and all of my supplies for watercolor painting actual "paintings", to me it's "The Rubber Room", as the majority of my work lately has involved stamping. But I've pretty much outgrown this room. When I need to meet with a customer about wedding invitations, or whatever, I can't drag them through my sadly neglected house (neglected because I'm stamping all the time) to get to "The Rubber Room". So I'm getting ready to move my space into the living room we no longer use. That way customers can come directly in the door, hang a left. and be in my nice, new, neat "Studio", and not see the rest of the messy house. ("The Rubber Room" is always the neatest room in the house - cannot stand to work in a disorganized workspace - the rest of the house, I don't care about - I'm never in there.) But my DH is very good about staying out of my space. I have a sign that hangs on the door that says "The Queen is NOT Taking an Audience Today", so when he wants to speak with me, he comes and stand at the threshold to have a conversation. I LOVE a man who knows his place! Craft room or Studio - it really doesn't matter - what really matters is that you have a "place" to call your own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 01:22 AM   #86  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

BWAHA! Bev - that is hilarious!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 02:06 AM   #87  
Polyshrink Goddess

I call my 'room' a craft room. Studio sounds nice I think but it's not used for the home work-place here in Australia. Maybe it is more associated to an area where one works as a business, as already mentioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

The term "studio" for me seems to be more "arty". I don't consider myself an artist, but a crafter. However, my "place" is to me my "play room".

Although my current play room is more than a lot of people have and I'm grateful to have the space, my stash has waaaay outgrown it. DH has offered to convert the garage for me...how cool is that!??

When we first moved in, I had planned to work out there, but it's just too darned hot in the summer and cold in the winter. So, DH is going to finish insulating and drywalling, put in a sub floor for the heat/air conditioning runs and a sky light for some natural light. I'm already drooling at all the space and planning for placement of things. I can hardly wait!

Am I a lucky gal or what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saucy1View Post
Does your husband's description begin with an "A" and end in an "L"...mine does. He's great and usually bites his tongue, but the pressure is there...LOL
I usually work at night while we watch sitcoms. That explains a lot!
You got it. He is constantly following behind me picking up slivers of paper, complaining about glitter, asking if he can put something away........drives me nuts!! I too work at night and watch the TV he put in the dining room for me. That frees up his TV for sports!
MY ETSY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #90  
Hardware Hotshot

Mine is a craft room. It was once upon a time a smaller third bedroom. When we added on the addition it became a walk through area. This area is all for stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #91  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
That's why I do it for a laugh. Although in the strictest sense, the word means "workroom." That fits as far as I'm concerned!
Maybe I will then.... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #92  
Inking Addict

I have never called it anything but the "basement".....I used to have porcelain doll classes down there, and I sewed down there...even tho it's a finished basement, I always felt like it was the "dungeon"....and dreamed of having a room to sew and craft upstairs....well, now all my kids are gone and we have two spare bedrooms, but, I'm still doing all my stuff down the basement...more room.....for the last 10 years, stamping has taken it over....and I have stamping classes down there now.....and, thank goodness for that...because that's when I straighten it up, right before the classes....I am such a slob when I'm crafting (stamping)......I don't mind all that, except that every Christmas, we have a big Christmas Eve party down there and It takes me days to clean and move everything out of there!......come January, the cycle starts all over again....and, when the grandkids are over....oh, boy.....that's their favorite place to be....boys and girls....they always go home with some kind of project.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #93  
Kookie Creator

I call mine my design studio, since I work several different crafts in my room under the garage. I have my club in there and other classes as well. love this thread. TFS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #94  
Matboard Maniac

I have a DH who is (more then) slightly OCD - everything has to be 'put away' in it's proper spot. It's taken us five years to find compromises that work for both of us, as it can get pretty stressful for him if things aren't 'right'. One of the compromises that has thrilled us both is the creation of my studio. I have our third bedroom, and it is mine, all mine! I have it set up how I want, and I can leave whatever I want out and make as much of a mess as I want, because I can simply close the door when I'm leaving for the day, and he can't see it. This suits him fine, because he's an 'out of sight, out of mind' type of person, and it suits me because I'm the type of worker that needs to make a mess in order to create - I hate stopping the flow of my 'creative juices' to tidy up - I wait until I'm finished with a project, and then clean up completely. I also sell my cards, and am working on getting into the custom wedding invitation market, so my hubby and I both consider my 'crafting' as a profession, even though I have a part-time job on the side. I love my studio, and it is also my 'safe place' that I can retreat to when the world get's too chaotic for me!

On a side note - I also teach piano, and right now my 'piano studio' is our piano in our living room, which is also our family room, dining room and kitchen - our townhouse is an 'open concept' so all of the rooms flow into eachother except the bedrooms. We have our digital piano and my DH's guitars set up in a corner of the basement with our amps and mixers, but I would never dream of teaching down there as it's so cold, dark, and spider-y... LOL!

I guess my definition of 'studio' is any space designated for a particular purpose, usually of a creative nature, but not neccessarily. My hubby works from home and is in the computer science field. We call the second bedroom his office as that is where he works all day. It is not a studio at all, as nothing 'creative' happens in there - simply mind-numbing computer processing!

Anyways.... enough rambling - Cool Thread!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #95  
Rubber Obsessor

I call my room my 'studio' - only because it sounds cool - LOL! I have a lot of plans but seem to never get to spend the time in there that I want to - funny how it seems that the more simple life is, the more you get out if it! I honestly did more projects when I had less room and wasn't on the computer!!!! HA!! You either have time or money but never both at the same time!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #96  
Mad Swapper

I make a living at being a professional crafter. I freelance for manufacturers and with a few magazines. I have a dedicated room and a small storage closet. I call my space - my office, my craft room, my crafting space what ever comes off my tongue at the moment. My husband lovingly calls it my CRAP CAVE. So, I say to each her own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #97  
Matboard Maniac

Such an interesting thread! I call my room my office, because I'm a writer who only recently got into papercrafting. It's also our spare bedroom, so it has a bed in it and the closet is used for one of my sons (we put all three of them in one room now, but there wasn't enough closet space) so I really don't have much storage space. I've actually been crafting on my rocking chair ottoman with a large flat book on top for my work surface, since I don't want to get adhesive or anything on my beautiful rolltop desk. I really need to get a table, but after investing in the office furniture last year, it's not in the budget. Hopefully once the weather warms up I can find an old table to resurface at a yard sale or something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #98  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I call mine my "Girl Cave" because DH has an office for his school stuff and R/C planes and I've always called that his "Man Cave" LOL!
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #99  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I call mine a craftroom. It is suppose to be "my room", but with the computer down here I have two boys who hover. The majority of my stuff is for scrapbooking and stamping. I have a small wall for my sewing desk and fabric cart. On a good day it will be nice and clean. On a bad day it looks like the Pit of Dispair. Now if I could take over the room above the garage then it would be a studio. Unfortunately dh has claimed that for the future "man cave".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #100  
Rubber Obsessor

Default "Craft Room"

I call mine the craft room. BUT, really its three distinct "spots" in MY bedroom and the ENTIRE dining room. I'm a single parent to an infant and NEVER use the dining room (to my credit!). Usually it is very well organized... hahaha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #101  
Polyshrink Goddess

I refer to my space as a studio when I'm talking to clients or other folks in the local arts community, but it's always "my room" when I'm talking to my husband. I have a friend that refers to her space as her "Lady Lair." I absolutely love that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2010, 05:32 AM   #102  
Pearl-ExPert

What a fun read! It's very interesting to hear/read what everyone else is doing and what they call their space. It's really a very subjective term isn't it?

In my home, the basement is my domain. If you ask other people what it's called they will say "studio", but to me, it sounds rather pretentious and it's not a term I prefer to use. Instead, I call it my "creation station". It's a big ol mess but organized chaos. The floor tends to double as a trash can as was also mentioned earlier. Hey! It gives the cats something to play with! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #103  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I had to finally dedicate a whole room and get a "Craft Room" - prior to that the rest of the house was my 'Crafting Area' (smiles). I enjoy the fact that I can leave projects out and come back to them...but I don't usually I like to keep the room really neat. I have this plastic containers that hold unfinished projects. I like the feeling of coming into the room and seeing the empty white table. As to what I do there (in percentage of time spent there): 70% is card making, 5% is letter writing, 10% is other crafts (making painted/stamped coasters, candles, dominos), and 15% is mini-albums.

You can see my YouTube attempt here (it's really cut up because I can't talk about anything in just 10 minutes (smiles)):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN-lrg9Ni1U

Last edited by girlgeek101; 03-28-2010 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #104  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, I own the house, and I pay the mortgage, so I figure I can call it whatever I please. And what pleases me is "studio", because I am an artist, it is my workroom, things are taught there and things are studied there.

Well, now, that sounded very pretentious, didn't it? Doesn't matter, I still call it my studio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #105  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
I have a big ol' mess.
LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #106  
Glitter Guru

Those are good definitions of the terms mentioned on the first post. And like what others have said, it will all depend each person on how they want to call their craft place. I call mine my planet, because when I'm in my craft room, I'm like in a different world. Other areas I call what I want to, like my Bead Nook
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #107  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlgeek101View Post
I had to finally dedicate a whole room and get a "Craft Room" - prior to that the rest of the house was my 'Crafting Area' (smiles). I enjoy the fact that I can leave projects out and come back to them...but I don't usually I like to keep the room really neat. I have this plastic containers that hold unfinished projects. I like the feeling of coming into the room and seeing the empty white table. As to what I do there (in percentage of time spent there): 70% is card making, 5% is letter writing, 10% is other crafts (making painted/stamped coasters, candles, dominos), and 15% is mini-albums.

You can see my YouTube attempt here (it's really cut up because I can't talk about anything in just 10 minutes (smiles)):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN-lrg9Ni1U
I really had to smile in agreement with this. When it comes to my craft area or sewing room I absolutely CAN NOT work in a messy environment. Well, it gets messy while I'm working, but when I am done for the day everything....and I mean everything is put in it's place, wiped down, and organized so that when I come back to start another project.....I have a perfectly clean slate. This past weekend I completed about 8 cards, and in between cards everything was put back into order before I could begin another project.

Does this sound like OCD?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #108  
Hardware Hotshot

i say either! and lately as a joke i've been calling it the " Tahj-ma-Holly" !

its a very small room LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #109  
Kookie Creator

I actually call it my "office." I have a graphic design business (invites, announcements, corporate logos, etc.). It's all digital, so I have a "real" desk set up with my laptop, client files, etc. But most of the room is a real "craft room" devoted to stamping and other paper crafts. I do sell some of that work (custom shadow boxes in particular), but the hands-on non-digital stuff is really more hobby-oriented. I do meet with clients in that room, so it just makes more sense to call it my office. It's funny, though, because when I have work to do for my biz, I tell my husband I'll be in my office. When I'm going down to play, I call it my scrap room. Oh, this is all so complex isn't it? LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #110  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

Mine started out as the 'craft room', but one day I made a Freudian slip and called it the 'craft shop'. DH has never let me forget it, and somehow the name has stuck.

That does NOT mean my stash is up for sale......however much DH might want that to happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:52 AM   #111  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
I have a big ol' mess.
Wow...you got that right!!! I have the extra bedroom...it is WAY too small. I'm trying to reorganize...if that's what you want to call it....it's so bad - my pup can't get in. I recently got back from a crop so all my stuff is sorta blocking the door way...poor thing. Poor me!!! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #112  
Rubber Obsessor

BTW...mine is the Stampin Room. I don't think I could fit much else in there in order to do anything besides that! LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #113  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicnvinView Post
I have a Craft room. When I think of a Studio, I think of a studio apartment, something you could live in. A studio would have it's own bathroom, sink, etc.

I usually call mine either 'my room' or the 'scrap room'. Though by this defination, should be a studio. I do have a futon in there and often crash on it if I'm up working late. It doesn't have it's own bathroom, but is right across the hall. No sink, but I have this nifty hot chocolate maker called Cocomotion. It's my substitute for a coffee maker.

Oh, and I have often 'lived' in there if I'm on a roll.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by celestial_stamperView Post
My "craft" room is where I do all of my work. My "studio" is where I entertain the clients.
The real difference? Heavy duty cleaning before the client arrives.
*SNORT*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #115  
Stampin' Fool

My space is my "craft space". Its only a space cause we have an L shaped living room and my craft space in the short bit that the dining room would be. Its not a big space, and cant be closed off in any way, as its also a major traffic thoroughfair in our house. Shortest route between the kitchen and this computer.

But I did show my dh a couple of peices of furniture from a blog I saw from this website, and one is two of those cube bookcases that I would put wheels on, join together with a piano hinge and they can be used for storage and for my crafting needs. I know confusing, and dh is running in the opposite directions. I reckon that if all the bits were cut for me I could do it, I'm handy that way.

I would love a craft room, but I'm not allowed to remove dss from her room, surely she could sleep in a tent out the back? Right? It doesn't snow here....lol. I'd give up my craft space for the girls to use as play space, even give them some sort of storage for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #116  
Kookie Creator

I call mine a craft room, its a 16x20' room that is dedicated to my scrap n stamp crap and quilting stuff but it is connected with the rec room so i can't call it a studio really althugh i do teach card classes in it now.

MY Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #117  
Insane Embellisher

You know...maybe it's an East Coast/West Coast thing. I live in the NW and I call mine a craft room. A friend of mine lives in NY and calls hers a studio. Potato / Potatoe...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #118  
Matboard Maniac

I've enjoyed reading this thread! I took over my DD's bedroom as soon as she married and moved out, and called it my workroom - it should have been my sewing room but I didn't sew much, I just made bobbin lace. Then I discovered cross stitch and stopped the lacemaking (I'd wrecked my neck making 10 yards of lace for her wedding veil), then I discovered papercrafting. Now my cross stitching is mostly packed away in a chest, my lace pillow and bobbin are in the spare bedroom (rarely used except by DD at Christmas, now sh's divorced) and it's usually called my craft room. It measures 8 x 10 and there isn't room for a table; fortunately it leads off the dining room so I do my crafting on the table there. Then I move everything back into my craft room and dump it all on the floor.....and when I can't find space for my toes I have a grand clear up and start all over again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #119  
Compulsive Stamper

This thread is fabulous.....I have the smallest bedroom which I use for everything....work from home days, crafting, gift making and wrapping, ironing, sewing, you name it...it gets done in this room. I just recently had surgery and my plan was to spend my recovery making cards so I would be way ahead of the game.

So far, I have completely organized my room and it is so clean and spotless, I am afraid to start anything because I am a VERY messy worker.

But I do have momentous ideas roaming about in my head about the fabulous creations making their way out of my mind and into actual form.

I think the bottom line between studio/craft(crap)room is like the old question of which came first, the chicken or the egg. But from what I have read in every thread, it is the calm in the eye of the tornado....the place where each of us becomes recentered and celebrates life.

Thank each of you for an interesting read!!!!

BTW...my room is simply that....my room!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #120  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I consider it a studio (no I am not running a business with my computer or crafts) because this is where I work with anything computer or craft related. Patti
I have to agree with this one. My husband and I share a spare bedroom for our "art"; my stamping and crafting, my hubby's painting/graphics arts. We both use our art as well in some form of income but the fact is I considered it a studio even before we turned any aspect of it into an income producing room. When I think of "studio" I first think of a "studio" apartment; a compact, all contained room that serves a purpose or in our case dual purpose. It's efficient and compact. That's what our studio is; everything is held in there, it is used for one purpose but in a compact and organized way. It may be a spare bedroom for most people but our room contains no bed, no furniture that doesn't have to do with our businesses or arts.

May sound snooty but it is what we named the room when we moved in and in my book, income or no, it's a studio. But then again, who really cares what I call my room and you call yours?
Reply With Quote Likes