Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closet Organization

Wondering if anyone has cheap/inexpensive ideas for converting my closet into craft storage. My house is VERY small (900 sq ft). It's 3 bedroom, but one room had doorways into the kitchen and hallway, so we converted it to a dining room. The spare bedroom will (hopefully!) be a baby's room sometime this year or next. We do have a full basement, but it's totally unfinished...plans are to finish it, but who knows when that will happen. That said, my only craft space is a single closet in the dining room. We did install shelves spaced roughly 22" apart top to bottom. I moved the bottom one up to accomodate a small ikea drawer-cabinet on wheels, but now I need ideas to really make it a good storage area. Still catching up on bills from our Oct. wedding and Christmas, so cost has to be taken into account. I have no problems moving shelves up or down, cutting them down, etc. Any thoughts or anyone out there that's converted a closet that would share pics??
TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

When we finished our basement in 2009 (I can't believe it has already been that long!) we built me two closets for my scrap/stamp space. We were aiming to have it finished before daughter #2 arrived, but it wasn't completed until my maternity leave was over, so we have been busy and doing things slowly down there to organize, etc. My husband finally put in the desktop and put up my IKEA DVD shelves for my stamp sets that I am unmounting (and my clear mounts) and bygel bars for punches this past summer (2010). He only put in the shelves in the storage closet this past week, so it has been a slow process to say the least. I still don't have pics, but I will try to get some soon. I am waiting for him to hang a few more bars so I can finish up the doors. (Then, I will need to figure out how to post pics here, LOL!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I don't have a closet, but I used fairly traditional wire closet shelving to organize a wall in my office after spotting this inspiring photo from PaperCrafty.

I was able to do my version on the cheap by using cardboard boxes from Ikea and other storage pieces I already had, like photo boxes and the plastic drawer units. I repurposed shelves from my previous storage solutions on top of the wire so that smaller things wouldn't fall through the cracks or wobble. If you have access to copier paper boxes, they would be even more thrifty (and portable).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I'm in the process of doing that right now and am installing Ikea Bonde shelves inside my closet. The Bonde shelves I believe are discontinued and I got them when they were on clearance a few years ago. They look like 2 columns of the Expedit cube. Are close to 8 feet high and the two columns have adjustable shelves. It's being installed now and I hope to have pics up of it in the next few days on my blog. I'll come back and post here when it's ready.

FYI - my scrap space is half of my bedroom, so I've really had to economize by using ALL my vertical space. I've run out of available walls (that already have an expedit) which is why I'm converting half of my closet by installing more tall columns of cubed shelving to hold all my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

My room in our last house was converted closets. You can see the pics in my gallery. All the fixtures for the 3 closets cost less than $300.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow. I knew I'd find some thrifty, creative people on here!

Kris - would love to see pics of your basement when you get a chance (and can figure out how!) to upload them! ;) We also need basement "inspiration". My DH just wants his 'man-cave' of course (with room to hang all his mounted deerheads - I told him ONE in the house, the others he'll have to hang in the basement or the garage!).

Sarah - your closet space is fantastic! I'm thinking I'm going to have to tear it all out and start over. When we moved in, I just installed evenly spaced shelves just to have storage. Now that we're in and I'm living out of the closet with my crafts, it's just not working! I knew there was an excuse for me to drive to Cincinnati to Ikea!! :cool:

Scrampshopper....love, love your space! This is about what I have (your closet area). I do have a piece of countertop left from installing our kitchen counters, but I don't think it's as wide as the closet...so maybe I could install a tall, thin cabinet for storage and install the countertop in there somewhere....hmmm...

Awesome ideas! Thanks, everyone, for sharing!!

P.S. I had browsed some of the other threads in the Mission: Organization space, but it got overwhelming....!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all but my 12x12 and 8.5x11 paper stored on shelving in the closet...

Shelving and brackets from Home Depot! No real skill involved...A good level, some screw in anchor and white paint...
Attached Thumbnails
Closet Organization-supply-area.jpg  

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

kphorse, i love your closet...i am looking at putting lots of shelves in my closet too. yours looks so neat and pretty. I have a question, what types of things are you storing in the photo storage boxes..I may use them for other than photos if it works out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL...here is not a single photo on those shelves! They are all filled with stamps, dies, embellishments, supplies, inks, ribbon and a whole lot more!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

If the door swings out you could also use the door to store things. Either a shoe organizer to store punches, hooks to store "stuff" that hangs or perhaps a peg board that you could use to store things that can hang on the pegs. Just an idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2011, 03:12 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

This is a great thread! I have a closet that I want to transform into an organizational space for my scrapbook/paper supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Here's one person who has ONLY a closet:
My Stamping Closet! by k8nvanstamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

And another closet workspace in a craftroom:
Craft Room Pictures by ksweems - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Another closet workspace:
My Stampin' Closet by Brenda71 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrampShopperView Post
My room in our last house was converted closets. You can see the pics in my gallery. All the fixtures for the 3 closets cost less than $300.
wow you sure do make great use of small spaces,i absolutely love what you have done! xx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the small space options people have posted. My house is a small bungalow (24X36) built in the 1960s with three small bedrooms on the main level along with a galley kitchen that is way too small. By today's standards, my house is the size of a typical two bedroom cottage. In reality, the bedrooms are the size of large closets :-)

The basement is partially finished and I have a "craft room" which is probably 8X10 including a "cubby under the stairs" which takes some of the space away from the room. I have done other crafts over the years so besides a work table which was salvaged from my workplace and wooden shelving units my hubby salvaged from his workplace, I've got tote bins full of fabric, my sewing machine cabinet, a surger, and lots of tole paints, and unfinished tole painting projects and supplies absorbing room. I'm impressed with my little room but it is way to rough compared to the lovely spaces I've seen on here and I'd be embarrassed to post pictures. :-0 I love the economical ideas I've been seeing on here. They've been quite helpful in pulling my room together.

Last edited by lharnish; 03-04-2011 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

While it's not a closet, I am reduced to a corner of my front room (about the size of a closet) for my crafty area. I've done like Kphorse, and have utilized a lot of photo storage boxes for much of my 'stuff'. My proudest accomplishment of late is my die/embossing folder storage. I have dies and embossing folders/impression plates from different vendors, and wanted a system that was easy to add to, easy to get at, and CHEAP. I made this with some magnetic vent covers from Home Depot, some cardstock, some foam core board and a photo box from M's...the whole thing cost me probably right around $20 (and that might be high!) This system still has room to add more, and I can always start another box if need be, but there are A LOT of dies in there, lol. I've attached pics below, but this blog post has all of the details: *Insert Creative Witty Blog Name Here*: Getting Organized...

I have a box for buttons, one for felt, one for glitter, one for heat embossing, etc. I think you get the idea. Good luck organizing that closet space!! Can't wait to see pics when you are finished
Attached Thumbnails
Closet Organization-full-box-view.jpg   Closet Organization-long-die-storage.jpg   Closet Organization-ptinumberdies.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes