Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Several years ago I saw a post here of someone who had used the curtain rods and incorporated that. My brother-in-law mounted the curtain rods on one side of the hallway (yes the hallway - no room in the entire craft room (i.e., 2nd bedroom which has never seen a bed), and he mounted flashing on the other side of the hallway. He then hung all my punches (well we thought it was all of them). I was shocked when my sister and I returned home and he indicated I had 170 punches. After they left I found two more large plastic boxes with more, and since then have purchased many more. alas, I need another hallway...I have moved the seasonal ones into plastic boxes, which gave me a little more room, but I've got at least 50 that "need" a place to hang. I love them displayed because I know what I have, and as a result, I use them more often (and I don't buy duplicates that way...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #42  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, use the shoe pouch over the door. Recently the metal hooks "un-bent", leaving me unable to close the door. I tried to pick the whole thing up to "re-bend" them and it was SO heavy, I was shocked! I would say that doors CAN sag, and for safety, keep an eye on those hooks! BTW, after I re-bent each one, the holder is fine again, but I won't be doubling up the punches on there! My 3 Bygel racks are full, too. They are mounted over an old cork bulletin board that I didn't use any more. The bulletin board is screwed right into the wall, so it's sturdy.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavillaView Post
Here's the pic...nothing fancy..but it sure works.
Thank you for posting that pic.

I had an idea to use pegboard, but I wasn't sure how to attach the rods. Plus, I never thought about using hooks to hang it on the door. I'm in an apartment now, so I was going to lean the pegboard against the wall rather than attach it to the wall. Hanging it on the door is a much better choice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #44  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcwigView Post
I love my storage for punches. Similiar but much cheaper and they do NOT sag!

Welcome to OrganizeMore! - easy organizing.
I have one of these but it did not hold enough punches and the dowels did sag a little. I am thinking that I can turn it into a ink pad and refill holder like the two that I have and love from this company.

I use the Ikea Bygel rods for my punches but I need more rods and more wall space to hang them! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Love all these ideas.

Kim

Last edited by KIm VZ; 01-04-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

I use the over the door shoe rack, but instead of hanging it over the door, we screwed it right into the door on the top and bottom. It's jam packed with punches for 2 years now and no sagging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #47  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

All of these ideas are great. Have only a small space to work in but am happy to see all the wonderful examples of storage. I have my punches in a six drawer cart from JoAnn's that was a steal because one corner was damaged and couldn't be fixed. The drawers are actually the plastic containers with attached tops, so I can just remove them if I want to. I have each drawer labeled with the kind of punches it contains. It works for me. The important thing is to have the punches in one spot where you can grab them when you need them.

LindaF409 and KarlawithK - I love both of your ideas for organizing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaF409View Post
I hate not knowing how to do something....would love to send a picture of my punch rack in this posting. How do you do that? LOL Anyway, if you go to my gallery there is a picture of it there. I mounted mine on the wall behind the door. Mounting too much weight to a door can warp it and make it so it won't close correctly. Cost to make this is about 40 dollars. I love all the room on it and it holds so much more than my punches for now....room to grow. If anyone wants a pattern, I have a drawing (blueprint type with measurements) of it that I can send to you. Just email me.
Linda, Your Punch rack is awesome... I've run out of wall space, but I have a space I could indent into an inside wall for some rails and shelves. I need some shelves like that to store some ink refills and paints....

Punches do get heavy, especially over time, taking them on and off, etc. If you are going to use just curtain rods, use heavy duty and make it a short span. The guys (contractor friends) that helped me said it would be too much weight for hanging on the door. I even asked about using longer screws... When they hang a heavy special made door, they frame it to support the weight. Even with the shoe thingys, I would mount it to the wall behind the door, instead of over the door.

There are some really great ideas here... many are very doable at home, The price and shipping seem high to me, for what you are getting and what you can make yourself.

I love Pavilla's also. Mount the rails on the pegboard, then mount the pegboard to a wall. so easy to line up, move if you need to. I started with an idea like this... and then I got a little crazy.... I was going to add some molding to frame the Pegboard, then I was going to add a shelf... I did get the rails from Ikea, which is a 4 1/2 hour drive from my home, but worth it... and Oh my Goodness... you can see that things got out of hand.... hubby is still shaking his head....lol

but, now I need Linda to send me the pattern for her wall storage... I've got to make one now....

Faith
Attached Thumbnails
Check this punch storage out-new-shelf-spring-2011-023.jpg   Check this punch storage out-new-shelf-spring-2011-005.jpg  

Last edited by it'smefaith; 01-04-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Donnaml

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smefaithView Post
Linda, Your Punch rack is awesome... I've run out of wall space, but I have a space I could indent into an inside wall for some rails and shelves. I need some shelves like that to store some ink refills and paints....

Punches do get heavy, especially over time, taking them on and off, etc. If you are going to use just curtain rods, use heavy duty and make it a short span. The guys (contractor friends) that helped me said it would be too much weight for hanging on the door. I even asked about using longer screws... When they hang a heavy special made door, they frame it to support the weight. Even with the shoe thingys, I would mount it to the wall behind the door, instead of over the door.

There are some really great ideas here... many are very doable at home, The price and shipping seem high to me, for what you are getting and what you can make yourself.

I love Pavilla's also. Mount the rails on the pegboard, then mount the pegboard to a wall. so easy to line up, move if you need to. I started with an idea like this... and then I got a little crazy.... I was going to add some molding to frame the Pegboard, then I was going to add a shelf... I did get the rails from Ikea, which is a 4 1/2 hour drive from my home, but worth it... and Oh my Goodness... you can see that things got out of hand.... hubby is still shaking his head....lol

but, now I need Linda to send me the pattern for her wall storage... I've got to make one now....

Faith
Wow, nice. Very nice.....and that wall rack is something also
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Oh Faith, I just love that wall unit... g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Default My free revolving cabinet for punches, etc.

Here is what I have for many items, it was by a dumpster at a convenience store/gas station. The boy even helped me load it into my vehicle. It is a card display but here is what I use it for. One side is punches, another punches and die cuts for my Cuttlebug, another side embossing folders and miscellaneous stuff below that, and final side pegboard on top to hang items, shelves below for Stickles, chalks, a few ribbons,(I have two other ribbon display that work great too) and misc. stuff. It revolves around so it is very easy to handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Check this punch storage out-dscf9131.jpg   Check this punch storage out-dscf9132.jpg   Check this punch storage out-dscf9133.jpg   Check this punch storage out-dscf9134.jpg  

Last edited by debstamper; 01-05-2012 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #52  
Cardstock Collector

Default Punch display

[FONT="Arial"This is the best punch rack I have seen an awesome rack but beautiful display area also...lucky lady!!![/FONT]
Quote:

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #53  
Inking Addict

I have just recently discovered the joy of punches. Thanks for the storage tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debstamperView Post
Here is what I have for many items, it was by a dumpster at a convenience store/gas station. The boy even helped me load it into my vehicle. It is a card display but here is what I use it for. One side is punches, another punches and die cuts for my Cuttlebug, another side embossing folders and miscellaneous stuff below that, and final side pegboard on top to hang items, shelves below for Stickles, chalks, a few ribbons,(I have two other ribbon display that work great too) and misc. stuff. It revolves around so it is very easy to handle.
That makes me want to go (beside the) dumpster diving! What a great find!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychspaView Post
That makes me want to go (beside the) dumpster diving! What a great find!
I know, I have never done that but you gotta wonder what's being thrown out!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #56  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimichan1View Post
I like the idea but my husband wouldn't - I can just hear him saying that the door will sag and in time will not close.
I just love these ideas, but I'm afraid that's exactly what my DH will say, regardless of the fact the door to the sewing room is never closed - that's where I take my towers of supplies when I get to a major card making session!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Faith

faith you inspired me. i had my DH build this for me. it just went up yesterday. took him 2 days to make. me 2 days to paint. i LOVE it. still playing w/ loading it. my punches went on right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love all your ideas! On the wall would be great, but I have neither wall or door space to share...I store all my punches in 3 drawers that stack 2 high...They are labeled so I know where to look...MS are still in Iris crates, I need more drawers!
Attached Thumbnails
Check this punch storage out-foam-board-dividers-punches.jpg   Check this punch storage out-martha-stewart-punch-storage.jpg  

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

karen i do love the way you divided them up. and took the time to actually punch out and label each drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

I also have very few punches, but know that over time I will be like the rest of you so I am just loving all the ideas. I don't have wall space either so mine are just in a small bin right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #61  
Glitter Queen

Love all these ideas, I think I would like to put them on the rails, I just have to find room in my craft area. Right now I am trying to get all my ribbon organized, and that is a job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
For those suggesting the door will sag from the weight, that apparently is an easy fix with some shims and longer nails in the door hinges. Get your handy-person/husband/spouse to google this. There are a lot heavier doors that get installed in homes that can be supported so it should be easy to reinforce a lighter door with weight on it. Here's a link to pass on showing how to reinforce the door hinges for those naysayers that say not to put the punches on the door :-)

A Fix for Sagging Doors
OMG! I am glad I don't have the only husband who thinks like this. Sadly my door is hollow so I don't think it would work as you can't really screw anything in without it being likely to break off under the weight of the punches. I have an over the door shoe bag now but I also have some extra IKEA rails I would love to use!!

He was not so happy about the anchors even going into the wall behind the door for the long rails (good thing I haven't asked him to move THOSE!) LOL!

Ready for Spring!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
faith you inspired me. i had my DH build this for me. it just went up yesterday. took him 2 days to make. me 2 days to paint. i LOVE it. still playing w/ loading it. my punches went on right away.
Pictures... let's see Pictures.... lol...

I love getting ideas and seeing what everyone does... You just never know what will work out, etc. I have to add another row of the rails, so got to readjust everything already.... make some more adjustments in the shelves... but it's coming together.

Linda's has my mind on overload now... I want to make something like her's and I'm trying to come up with something for my Big Shot Dies, so they are more out and handy. Right now I have them in the boxes that SU sells, but moving them around, taking lids off, etc.... has got me with boxes all over. The cabinet below the punches, my hubby was able to pick up at a golf shop when they remodel, and I though I might be able to put the boxes on the shelves below and just pull out which one I wanted, but it's not working out too easily.... yikes... Anyone have Big Shot die ideas....

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitebatView Post
I've thought of getting a magnetic knife bar for punches with metal bases.
I use the magnetic knife bars for my scissors

I also use IKEA's bygel bars for my punches and have run out of wall space but think I will mount some on the side of my Expedit bookcase next

For those of you who don't live close to an IKEA, see if a fellow stamper who does live near one will buy and ship the bars to you....that's what I did the first time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I love getting ideas and seeing what everyone does... You just never know what will work out, etc. I have to add another row of the rails, so got to readjust everything already.... make some more adjustments in the shelves... but it's coming together.

Linda's has my mind on overload now... I want to make something like her's and I'm trying to come up with something for my Big Shot Dies, so they are more out and handy. Right now I have them in the boxes that SU sells, but moving them around, taking lids off, etc.... has got me with boxes all over. The cabinet below the punches, my hubby was able to pick up at a golf shop when they remodel, and I though I might be able to put the boxes on the shelves below and just pull out which one I wanted, but it's not working out too easily.... yikes... Anyone have Big Shot die ideas....

Faith
Big Shot Dies -- Bigz dies fit in the 4 drawer Jet Max Cubes perfectly, label up quick & easy. My embosslits and little ones I use the SU box great for those little ones. The Bigz XL dies I have a shelf rail kinda thing on one wall of my room that is normally a PIA because it is a part of our house structure (walk out basement). However, the XL dies stand on end perfect width so they go there. My Pro dies go under the table standing label side out, too. 2x12 dies I have a plastic container I bought with a snapping lid that they fit in nicely.

Ready for Spring!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

my pictures will have to wait. as i need help loading them up here. ds is home from college
faith mine is an exact match to yours. except the scroll along the top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

I love the idea but the closest Ikea is 4 hours away so it isn't worth it for me, sigh. I'm always jealous when I read about you girls being able to use the rails and baskets.
Oh well, I'll have to figure something else out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Pavilla, can you post a photo of your rack?
:shock: Who knew this was that kind of forum??? :shock:;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tspoland407View Post
I love the idea but the closest Ikea is 4 hours away so it isn't worth it for me, sigh. I'm always jealous when I read about you girls being able to use the rails and baskets.
Oh well, I'll have to figure something else out.
my IKEA is about a 4 hour drive,each way. but luckily my DH is taking his dad home next week. so he'll stop by to grab a few more for me. i like to have extras to gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #70  
Hardware Hotshot

Closest store to me is a 7 hour round trip. But that is why I love this thread, everyone has different ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I started another thread to show another punch storage idea, but nobody's looking at it ;), so I thought I'd jump in here and share... I'm another one whose husband would worry about a door sagging, so I repurposed one of those wood dowel DVD racks in my new room. I've attached a thumbnail, or you can see it on my blog HERE.
Attached Thumbnails
Check this punch storage out-dscf4341-small-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

sue at first i thought the rack was a shoe rack.cool idea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #73  
Hardware Hotshot

Sue, that is very nice. Very Nice! I thought at first it was a shoe rack also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Sue... What a great use of a DVD rack...It looks great and fit right into your space... Checked out your blog... Very nice....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks, girls! I love when I can repurpose something - better for my budget, and better for the landfill! Isn't it great that there is a solution for just about anyone on this thread? So many ideas...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #76  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Faith
I saw a photo where the person took the lids off the SU! boxes and had the boxes on their sides so you can see the dies and just pull them right out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #77  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is how I store my Big Kick and dies. I have other thing in the bottom behind closed doors! This is an old record cabinet that I got at a estate sale for $5.00. Just had to sand, prime and paint. I really like how it came out too!

http://www.icantbelieveimadethat.blo...net%3BPainting
Attached Thumbnails
Check this punch storage out-picture-1134.jpg  

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com

Last edited by craftymomto2; 01-07-2012 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Here is how I store my Big Kick and dies. I have other thing in the bottom behind closed doors! This is an old record cabinet that I got at a estate sale for $5.00. Just had to sand, prime and paint. I really like how it came out too!

I Can't Believe I Made That!: Furniture:Repurpose;Record Cabinet;Painting
You did a beautiful job of repurposing that cabinet! And it is certainly a wonderful way to use this__it looks like everything fits perfectly.

What is the green machine on top though?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post

I Can't Believe I Made That!: Furniture:Repurpose;Record Cabinet;Painting
i love your big shot station!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
You did a beautiful job of repurposing that cabinet! And it is certainly a wonderful way to use this__it looks like everything fits perfectly.

What is the green machine on top though?
the green machine on top is a dream cut
i have one but i have never gotten comfortable using it
you set the machine to cut a certain size paper for you
such as 4x4
Reply With Quote Likes