Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2009, 02:49 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any words of wisdom for me as I design my new room

I have a bonus room over my garage that will be my stamp room. I'm redesigning it using some garage sale money, so I'm on a really tight budget.

Any sage words of advice? Is there anything you learned while designing yours? Your best idea? Your worst idea? Any money saving advice?

Most of my wall space is 52" and then the ceiling starts. So, most of my storage will be low, and I already have several matching 48" bookcases.

Lisa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

This is really hard to do for someone else. I can only relate what I have learned about my own space over the years. I have gutted it several times in order to get it more functional.:eek: I also have a whole, though smallish room.

Everyone has to find ways to organize different things in ways that suit them, their workspace, and their habits. So what has worked or not worked for me, might not be the same for you.

Even so, I read here again and again, and it has been true for me, "out of sight, out of mind". We really do lose brain cells as we get older, and I have been totally surprised by some of the things I have unearthed when gutting my room.:p

Now, I don't want to go on and on about how I organize this and that. I will just tell you, that for me, over several re-do's, I have learned that I need to keep things either highly visible or highly accessible. Also, I need to keep my desk free of clutter except when working. So I have disciplined myself to clean up as I go.

All stuff that I use on most every card, has to have a permanent place right on my desk, or within reach from my chair. I use drawers and shelving around and behind me to have everything in reach this way. If you have wall space in front of you (I don't), then make use of it.

Other things like ribbon, flowers, embellies, are in see through color family jars around the room on open shelving units. I just bring the color stuff I need over to the desk. Paints, brushes and other less used items are also on these open shelving units in clear containers so I see them.

Stuff I don't need all year round, like themed (Christmas, Fall, Valentine etc), I can afford to hide a bit. These each go in their own labelled big fabric bin that also fit in the open shelving units. (Jetmax). I only keep stuff in these that could not possibly be used, other than for those themes. Then, when it is say, Christmas, that stuff is all together ready to be used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Random thoughts ...

Lots of electrical outlets to allow for lamps, heat tools, Cricut usage (and for you to be flexible where those things are used)

Easy to clean flooring (may depend on the supplies you use most; beads and glitter, imo, are easier to vacuum from carpet but paper "confetti" was easier to sweep up on a tiled floor.)

A place to clean your supplies (ideally a small bathroom so you could also use the sink to rinse out brushes and scrubber pads).

Creature comforts: heating/cooling (too hot or too cold affects inks and paints), light control (sunlight damages many supplies so you'll want blinds/curtains)

Since I almost always either get stuck or need a break, I'd want a computer, a coffee machine (Keurig is my choice), small refrigerator (my coffee needs cream!) and comfy chairs.

Of course, this could be why I usually create in the D/R ... the L/R (with the computer, tv and recliners) is to the left and the kitchen is behind the D/R and the bathroom is right down the short hallway. Oh, and I don't have a craft room LOL!

If you stamp with friends, have work tables and chairs easily accessible (unless you have room to keep them out all the time). Which reminds me, as much stuff as possible should be on casters so it can be rolled out of the way as needed.

Hope these help you think of what will work for the way you create and that can be adapted to the space you have.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Now, I don't want to go on and on about how I organize this and that. I will just tell you, that for me, over several re-do's, I have learned that I need to keep things either highly visible or highly accessible. Also, I need to keep my desk free of clutter except when working. So I have disciplined myself to clean up as I go.

All stuff that I use on most every card, has to have a permanent place right on my desk, or within reach from my chair. I use drawers and shelving around and behind me to have everything in reach this way. If you have wall space in front of you (I don't), then make use of it.
Great advice!

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by irvinehouseView Post
I have a bonus room over my garage that will be my stamp room. I'm redesigning it using some garage sale money, so I'm on a really tight budget.

Any sage words of advice? Is there anything you learned while designing yours? Your best idea? Your worst idea? Any money saving advice?

Most of my wall space is 52" and then the ceiling starts. So, most of my storage will be low, and I already have several matching 48" bookcases.

Lisa
my best advice. think it through.
plan how you want to store each type of item. eyelets,ribbon,paper-all sizes. markers,stamps. everything.
then pick the best system for you.
1. you will be organized.
2. you won't need to buy or organize twice
saves time money
more time to play
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Also, I see people with their ribbon hanging from spools on the wall or other things. It looks pretty, but we have a cat that tries to eat ribbon. Let's just say that it's not pretty when it is all said and done. :mad: And, I'm worried about the cat!

I store my ribbon in covered containers. No cat worries then.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Be sure to check the gallery here and google craft rooms for pics on blogs. Spend some time looking thru these and thinking. You will get ideas you hadn't thought of and may be just the thing. There are some really creative solutions are out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Open shelving can be very inexpensive. I bought 8 ft. long shelves for around $12 a piece. They are the melamine white shelves at Home Depot or Lowes. My husband put them up with L brackets. I found pretty hat boxes to keep most of my things in, one is for envelopes, one for yarns, fibers,and thread, etc. I use glass jars for colored pencils and ribbons.

Also at an antique thrift store I found the coolest armoire. It has slide out shelving and holds a ton.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 489 Likes on 307 Posts

Best advice from me would be to go----if possible,,,go visit some RV centers, or Mobile home sales sites or even a yacht being built....all of those places know how to squeeze the most storage out of a small or very defined space. It will give you ideas....
For example.... even tho visible works great,,,,think about kitchen cabinets with the lazy susan turnarounds.......lots of items can fit there and if they are only visable while you are working,,,,they can't get dusty can they??????
Dusting time is less time to stamp/create.
Also....look for a theme or color you like and use it.....My craft room is the smallest bedroom we have on the main floor,,,It is about 12 x 10. Has a closet built in and one window.....I have a 6 ft countertop(kitchen type) resting on two kitchen cabinet bases, a 5 ft tall bookcase for stamp storage, a cut down science lab table for a cutting/measuring area, a folding table with extenders on the legs to make it higher and less prone to cause bendover pain for my CB, Ceramic tile for heat embossing and storage for 3 iris carts underneath that hold punches(mostly) as well as bind it all supplies, adhesive replacements, loads of embellishments divided by theme/color. I also have a 48 inch long enclosed bookcase to keep scrapbook albums, themed storage(think Valentine, Halloween, etc.) my iris folding supplies, tea bag folding supplies and my brads.
It has two small drawers that hold mini comp books and jr legal pads waiting to be decorated and a larger area with a door that holds large comp books, clipboards and other supplies also waiting to be altered. Then I have two of the wire mesh storage units from Target...one of the three drawers and one with a small drawer(ribbon) and a file drawer(folders with project ideas and directions.) I have an open bookcase for notebooks(think card sketches, punch critters, etc) with plastic magazine pins(like a library might have) for idea books, tearouts and so forth. A red mesh tub sits on top to hold my current Catelogs, magazines and other stuff. A small red oval tub(Target dollar spot) holds cards to be repurposed or cards that didn't get finished at stamp meetings.
I have a 6 ft pegboard above my work space and it has all my measuring,cutting, coloring and sticking materials right at hand. I have other items but haven't paid much for any of them...Many were giveaways from business or other sources.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

i store my ribbon on 4x4 coasters. sorted by color. placed in a huge drawer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Take your time in organizing~~!~ As katz_r_us said, you will probably go thru many diffferent options thru-out the lifetime of your room. Basic things like a table or counter top should be first on your list. Work in the room to see if it is functioning for you. Bring your tools closer or farther away as you use them. What I mean is if you aren't using a particular item that much, maybe that can go into a drawer of sorts or labeled box, etc etc.

After a while of being in your room working, you will find things that may surprise you in ways of organizing your stuff. Be sure to "think long and hard" and see the way others have organized their rooms as it may or may not be right for you. Only you will know.

I have moved my craft room to three different rooms, and am still re-organizing depending on the way I am working. Example - before I wanted to see everything single thing I had. That didn't work - got too claustrophobic and distracted with all the pretty things around me. Came to the conclusion that I needed to have certain things in front of me, certain things behind me and others not far from my chair.

It takes time to figure out what you are needing, but taking the time will save you tons of money in different re-organizing materials!!!

have fun with it! it can always change
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Here's another idea that has worked great for me: For a big work table, I used an unfinished solid wood door. My DH had two in the garage, so I took one. It doesn't have have the door knob hole drilled in it. You can get them at home improvement stores. They are 3 feet by 6-7 feet long. I looooove having room to spread out or room to have a friend over.

Mine has a birch veneer that I stained and put a bunch of coats of polyurethane (sp?) on it. It's big, beautiful AND practical. Right now, it's on two old filing cabinets, but I'd like to put it on a couple of Ikea trestle table bases eventually.

You are getting some great ideas here. I'm still arranging stuff in my studio, so this thread is very helpful to me, too.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

When doing my room I first made ablue print using graph paper. As for tips I noticed my scrap system sucked! I was using a bin, never used scraps. Then I seperated them by color into zip lock bags and back into bin still didn't work. Then I switched bins but still not good enough. Finally I picked up a 2 drawer file cabnit at a garage sale and now use it rwith hanging floders and righ next to my work area and I use it all the time. Ikea, Oriental trading, menards, and 2nd hand is where I got most my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

And like anything in your home- it's a never ending process. There will always be changes!! I've changed my craft room twice - and thank goodness Ikea is only an hour drive away... Ikea truly is mecca for the craft room.

SnowCountry- I'm very curious about your coaster ribbon storage- is there a pic somewhere?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I have no sage words about organizing your studio or anything else. But I do have a few ideas....

Start the way you plan to finish. Really thing about what you want the final outcome to be and then buy as much or as little as you can afford from that. Don't buy cheap things thinking "I'll replace those later as I have the money." That is truly a waste of money. Repurpose things you find around the house to tide you over until you can buy what you really want.

If you have an Ikea near you, take a day and go. Don't be rushed. Try all of the different desks/chairs that they have. Go and stand in the mocked-up kitchens. Bring a set of stamps and try stamping on a counter. Is this something you see yourself doing? Or do you sit and craft? I personally do both. Stand at a counter to cut and stamp. Sit at a desk to assemble. Ikea also has software that you can use to design your room. You input the dimensions of your room and all of their different cabinets and such are there for you to populate your room. Quite nifty.

I am not a carpet person. I have 3/4" oak hardwood floors. Chairs roll smoothly, and it cleans up like a dream, even when the kids get into the sharpies and draw on it. :o

I also cannot craft in visual clutter. So I'm a behind closed doors sort of crafter. But everything it labeled and it easily accessible. A few nicely displayed embellishments remind me of all the rest that is in the drawers and cabinets.

In the end, it really needs to be three things.

1. A design that functions for you the way you craft.
2. An inviting place that you want to spend time in.
3. Storage for all your stash.

Good luck and remember this is FUN!!!!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #16  

I am in the process of redoing my craft room. I am the type of person that needs to have things at my fingertips at all times. Those items I can't see or are in a drawer or closet I never use. So my plan is this. I started a list of things I must have at my fingertips and in my room at all times. From the wall clock to the waste basket, anything that took up space on the wall or floor. I then drew up my own design. My ruler and I are physically attached at this point but not quite to scale. I wasn't worried about that yet, just the must haves. I have 5 sheets, one of each wall and the closet too, and where I want to put things. I even have a view of the top of my desk area to make sure I have it all. Once I had this done, it took me 3 days, I made another numerical list of my embellishents, paper stock, binders, punches, scissors, and on and on and on. I then reviewed my drawings and put the numbers of where each item would go. I can't tell you how pleased I was on the results. I'm sitting on it for a couple of weeks to review as I do my crafting in the room and I'm sure there will be additions and or deletions to the design. From there I go to Hubby for the budget. Beyond that , well Christmas is coming and I'm sure it will be put on hold until the first of the year. I just can't imagine clearing out the room before Christmas. But boy this truly gives me something to look forward to next year.
Good luck with your design and remember, this is for you. Don't worry about putting holes in the wall for resale value. Who's moving these days anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

So many people have offered some great advice, so I will focus on your special situation of the "attic" room with short walls.

Since I am sure you are taller than 4'4", you will not be able to walk all the way over to the side walls. So, being able to walk only in the "center" of the room means you need to be creative with the use of your space. You didn't say how steep the ceiling is...how close you can walk to the wall without having to duck. But it is likely that you will be able to get within 12-18 inches of the walls without any difficulty. You also didn't say what you have for width of the room or whether you have windows, and that influences what you do on the end wall.

So, here's what I would input to you.
1. Put furniture (like your shelves) along the short walls. You won't be walking in that area anyway.
2. On one short wall put a table (or tables) that you sit down at. You would never hit your head, and you can put rolling drawer units under it or other types of storage. Or use the door and file cabinet idea, or something similar.

If it helps you out any, Martha Stewart has the same situation as you in her craft room. [here on SCS a few years ago we "discussed" whether she really does much of what she has in her room since she has just a little bit of many crafts!] I am attaching a link to her room. Be sure to follow the links to additional pictures. She does a great job with short walls and placement of furniture.

http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...has-craft-room

There are some great principles for you in that room. Just ignore that she has a work area for each craft!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the tools and are willing to do the work, a really easy way to build a desk is to buy premade cabinets (at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc...) that are unfinished and plywood. Use the cabinets as the "legs" of your desk. That way, you get both storage and a hard work surface. If there's too much give to the plywood, you can always do two layers. You can also use outdoor house paint as an easy way to seal the wood. I've found that outdoor house paint is easy to clean up on a desk. The nice thing about doing a desk this way is that it's fairly custom and pretty inexpensive. You can also use the plywood (and more cabinetry) to build storage and flat surfaces throughout your room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
Random thoughts ...

Lots of electrical outlets to allow for lamps, heat tools, Cricut usage (and for you to be flexible where those things are used)

Easy to clean flooring (may depend on the supplies you use most; beads and glitter, imo, are easier to vacuum from carpet but paper "confetti" was easier to sweep up on a tiled floor.)

A place to clean your supplies (ideally a small bathroom so you could also use the sink to rinse out brushes and scrubber pads).

Creature comforts: heating/cooling (too hot or too cold affects inks and paints), light control (sunlight damages many supplies so you'll want blinds/curtains)

Since I almost always either get stuck or need a break, I'd want a computer, a coffee machine (Keurig is my choice), small refrigerator (my coffee needs cream!) and comfy chairs.

Of course, this could be why I usually create in the D/R ... the L/R (with the computer, tv and recliners) is to the left and the kitchen is behind the D/R and the bathroom is right down the short hallway. Oh, and I don't have a craft room LOL!

If you stamp with friends, have work tables and chairs easily accessible (unless you have room to keep them out all the time). Which reminds me, as much stuff as possible should be on casters so it can be rolled out of the way as needed.

Hope these help you think of what will work for the way you create and that can be adapted to the space you have.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Everything Tina said is a "must" in my studio. When I did my studio last year, I had all these things on my list -- and I'm so very glad I did. Tile floor is a must, along with a sing (I put in a bathroom for my guests next to studio, so use that sink). I also have all my "everytime" things on or in my desk, along with all current stamp sets on shelfs in front of me. I had my carpenter make a heavy-duty shelfing unit that is the width of my desk , which holds all my stamps/ink carousal and 2 accessory carousals; plus one shelf for pastels, watercolor crayons, watercolor pencils,etc. I have all my cardstock, DSP, chipboard, Scrap Kits in IKEA file drawers (totally love these) so they keep out of light and anything else that floats around my room!! I have a table right behind me that holds all my cutting tools and another for my big shot and all the dies, etc. Everything else is in my cabinets (and very organized) so I can get it when I need it. I have pictures in my gallery to give you a better idea. I love my room and wouldn't change one thing (of course, I had to figure this all out from my first craft room upstairs). Notice all the plug strips on my walls -- that was another thing that was on my list of top 10 things for my studio. My extra chairs and tables are stored in a little room in my studio (furnice is also in there), plus extra shelfing for extra large supplies and boxes, etc.

The refrigerator is also a must, along with coffee-maker. I have mine behind the bar and dishes/paper plates, utensils -- chocolate -- punch bowl, napkins, etc., all stored in the cabinets behind my bar.

I had floresent lighting put in because the bulbs last longer and they are brighter. Plus, I had floresent lighting put under all the cabinets for the work stations with separate on/off switches. I had an awesome electrician who knew exactly what I needed. Make sure you get a good electrician because it will be a lifesaver in the long run (he also put in all my satalitte wiring for 3 TVs and new fire alarms in all rooms). Its hard to remember everything that I had done, but these are the top "must haves" if you want to do it right and only once! The key is to write a list and incorporate all these into your design.

I hope this helps (or re-confirms everything Tina said). Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with. My pictures are in my gallery, in the "New Studio" album (you can look at the "old craft room" album to see how I started (LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #20  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by S. DaileyView Post
Everything Tina said is a "must" in my studio. When I did my studio last year, I had all these things on my list -- and I'm so very glad I did. Tile floor is a must, along with a sing (I put in a bathroom for my guests next to studio, so use that sink). I also have all my "everytime" things on or in my desk, along with all current stamp sets on shelfs in front of me. I had my carpenter make a heavy-duty shelfing unit that is the width of my desk , which holds all my stamps/ink carousal and 2 accessory carousals; plus one shelf for pastels, watercolor crayons, watercolor pencils,etc. I have all my cardstock, DSP, chipboard, Scrap Kits in IKEA file drawers (totally love these) so they keep out of light and anything else that floats around my room!! I have a table right behind me that holds all my cutting tools and another for my big shot and all the dies, etc. Everything else is in my cabinets (and very organized) so I can get it when I need it. I have pictures in my gallery to give you a better idea. I love my room and wouldn't change one thing (of course, I had to figure this all out from my first craft room upstairs). Notice all the plug strips on my walls -- that was another thing that was on my list of top 10 things for my studio. My extra chairs and tables are stored in a little room in my studio (furnice is also in there), plus extra shelfing for extra large supplies and boxes, etc.

The refrigerator is also a must, along with coffee-maker. I have mine behind the bar and dishes/paper plates, utensils -- chocolate -- punch bowl, napkins, etc., all stored in the cabinets behind my bar.

I had floresent lighting put in because the bulbs last longer and they are brighter. Plus, I had floresent lighting put under all the cabinets for the work stations with separate on/off switches. I had an awesome electrician who knew exactly what I needed. Make sure you get a good electrician because it will be a lifesaver in the long run (he also put in all my satalitte wiring for 3 TVs and new fire alarms in all rooms). Its hard to remember everything that I had done, but these are the top "must haves" if you want to do it right and only once! The key is to write a list and incorporate all these into your design.

I hope this helps (or re-confirms everything Tina said). Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with. My pictures are in my gallery, in the "New Studio" album (you can look at the "old craft room" album to see how I started (LOL)
Sandi - I just looked at your room (before reading your post) and was drooling on the keyboard! Especially when I saw the electrical strip! It's an awesome space and I'm glad you shared so many photos because it will make it easier to convey my wants/needs when I once again get my own crafting space :-D.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you Tina!! It isn't anything really awesome, but it is a dream come true for me and I love it. I added another picture right after posting above, as I wanted to put a picture in of my "work station" desk with hutch. Hope it was uploaded before you looked. I also should haved added that is true (above): don't put money into all the drawers on wheels and other organizers (like I did at first). Hold out, and wait to buy what you want, and costs a little more, but you will use forever without it breaking. Don't buy somethng unless you feel it is what you want to still be using in 10 years.
Thanks again for kadoos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #22  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by S. DaileyView Post
Thank you Tina!! It isn't anything really awesome, but it is a dream come true for me and I love it. I added another picture right after posting above, as I wanted to put a picture in of my "work station" desk with hutch. Hope it was uploaded before you looked. I also should haved added that is true (above): don't put money into all the drawers on wheels and other organizers (like I did at first). Hold out, and wait to buy what you want, and costs a little more, but you will use forever without it breaking. Don't buy somethng unless you feel it is what you want to still be using in 10 years.
Thanks again for kadoos.
Yes ... the hutch is awesome. My DH built one for my desk but it's current function is storage since the hutch takes up too much of the work surface (the desk is actually a table since it has no drawers and is only 24 inches wide and the hutch is 13 or 14 inches wide to accommodate my Sterilite drawers for 12x12 papers and scrapbook project boxes.)

It's a great computer desk and matches the one my DH and I share (we downsized so now we share a computer and one desk/table) so I didn't want to get something different. Plus we expect to move again so are trying to make what we already own work for whatever our current space is and wait until we are "settled" again to buy stuff that really works for our stuff. If I had the storage i really wanted before we moved to our apartment I'd have had to sell it or keep a much larger storage unit.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 04:28 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

My stamp room is like yours - over the garage with limited wall space because of the roof. I tried for years to use a variety of iris carts with a couple of tables from Office Depot but it really never worked well or looked nice to me. I spent tons of money on a variety of things, which never worked.

First - flooring - if you can get tile, wood or wood laminate go for it. Ihave carpet and it is a never ending challenge to keep it clean (especially lugging the vacuum up the stairs).
Lighting - over head lighting is great, plus a good desk lamp.
Since you don't have the floor to ceiling walls - this limits the space. Decide if you want everything "visible" or hidden and then look for storage.
Here is a picture of one side of my room. I removed one table - that may seem crazy, but the table just ended up being a dumping ground instead of a work space and the area beneath the table was never sufficient for the iris carts. I replace the table with this ITSO system from target - each of the cubes are separate and you can get them with doors or without. Target also sells the containers. The visible ones are very sturdy canvas (they come in a bunch of colors) and behind the doors are a variety of plastic containers - also from target and designed to fit these. I don't miss the table at all and this system works for me so well that I am able to keep my stamp room reasonable clean!
It was a bit pricey, but I figured over the years I've spent as much or more on storage systems that held less and looked terrible, so it was worth it to me. I can store tons of stuff - in fact several of the containers in this photo are empty. I purchased as much as i could at my local Target, then had to go online for the rest.
What you don't see here -- to the left is my paper storage - from Office depot, but if i was doing it over again I would go with the storage system at Michaels.
The other side of the room has my computer desk and short file cabinet in one corner, a long table along one wall with one iris cart under it for supplies I use daily and one storage cabinet made specifically for stamps - it has narrow drawers and stores alot of stamps, on top of this cabinet are 4 large binders with many other unmounted stamps. I also have a small closet for stuff I just don't use that often.
Attached Thumbnails
Any words of wisdom for me as I design my new room-where_women_create_copy.jpg  

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
If you have the tools and are willing to do the work, a really easy way to build a desk is to buy premade cabinets (at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc...) that are unfinished and plywood. Use the cabinets as the "legs" of your desk. That way, you get both storage and a hard work surface. If there's too much give to the plywood, you can always do two layers. You can also use outdoor house paint as an easy way to seal the wood. I've found that outdoor house paint is easy to clean up on a desk. The nice thing about doing a desk this way is that it's fairly custom and pretty inexpensive. You can also use the plywood (and more cabinetry) to build storage and flat surfaces throughout your room.
buying a premade counter top is actually cheaper then plywood. I think the piece in my office was only $40-50. I just finished my re-organization in the last week. I blogged about it:
http://debiscrazylife.blogspot.com/2...anization
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
Random thoughts ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
This cracked me up! I have a craft room and still end up working in the dining room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I posted pictures in my gallery of my new room. My DH calls it my Studio

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

I love how your room turned out...it looks like a wonderful studio!!!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

I love lots of open shelving where I can not only stack my stamps, but also have big glass jars filled with pretty ribbons, buttons, and the like, and baskets, all with fun tags that label what is inside. I have a whole wall of shelves, but it is still not enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Oh, I also found an old postal sorter that I have sitting on my desk. The little cubbies are the perfect size to house all my punches. Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debilsView Post
buying a premade counter top is actually cheaper then plywood. I think the piece in my office was only $40-50. I just finished my re-organization in the last week. I blogged about it:
http://debiscrazylife.blogspot.com/2...anization.html
Debi, I posted a comment on your blog but thought I'd ask here, too. That counter top you added- do you find it's cold to work on? Looks like what we have in our bathroom and in the winter it's FREEZING to the touch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Lisa, your room turned out fabulous!! Can't believe you got it done that quick and how wonderful it turned out. You go girl!!!
Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

2 words: Adjustable Shelving.

I put my stuff on my shelves all nice & neat and then I bought more stuff. Suddenly the amount of space I had allocated to some categories of supplies was not enough. I also found out that there were certain things that I wanted to be able to reach easier. It was great to be able to move shelves up or down to create sufficient height where I needed it. I have tweeked my arrangement several times already & my room isn't even finished yet.

You've been give lots of great ideas in this thread. Have fun & enjoy your new space.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
Debi, I posted a comment on your blog but thought I'd ask here, too. That counter top you added- do you find it's cold to work on? Looks like what we have in our bathroom and in the winter it's FREEZING to the touch.
Tracy my counter top is just cheap laminate. It isn't cold but my room is also just off of the family room where the wood stove is, LOL
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Denise,
I could not find the gallery. We are moving soon and I am going to convert a bedroom to my craft and sewing room. Would you mind sending the link to the pics?
Thanks.
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Everyone has given good advice and I'll agree with all of it. For me what I wish I could redo is take my time and decide what I really want and what would work for me. I have bought to replace my 1st system several times over, had I been more thoughtful I wouldn't have had to replace systems. I definately was glad I went with laminate flooring instead of carpet. I fought snippets on the carpet constantly, now I keep a small whisk broom and dust pan and can clean up in seconds and do it quietly at 3am. LOL. I had a budget of $500, only to find out by the time I had new wiring and lots of outlets (LOVE IT) installed, I didn't have a lot left. When all was done, it was my "happy place" and made me feel peaceful so it was money well spent. Enjoy the process and good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 03:03 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

Most bonus rooms will be colder in winter and hotter in summer. Install window unit. You can use a space heater in winter months.
Organizational: Yard Sales starting now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Words of advise: It's a work in progress. I made the mistake of pre-planning my craft room and then just assuming I'd like it and that'd be the end of it. Problem is, as nice as it may have looked, when I went to go actually work on something, it didn't function correctly. Here is a picture of my main craft area.

For the desk, I bought two large white file cabinets, and then went to Lowes or Home Depot (can't remember which), and bought an 8 foot white countertop and placed it on top. To make sure the counter didn't slip, I used that non-skid stuff some people line cabinets with. Worked great. The pegboard came afterwards simply because I had nothing within arms length, and we all know that doesn't work.

I also put up shelves on one side of the room to hold 24 12x12 scrapbook paper holders, and then bought a large white craft cabinet (which you can kind of see on the left of my desk) that is great for all of the stuff you can actually store out of the way. So far so good.
Reply With Quote Likes