Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jokingly offered to pay my 11year old boy to help me, but he declined. He said "you'll cry if I lose the clear ones on the carpet". He knows me.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

Default database

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendybeView Post
All of my stamps are kept in their original sets, shelved alphabetically. I use a database to organize them all, so I can just search the database to locate something or get ideas. For instance, I can search for anything with the occasion "get well" or the image "heart" or the text "birthday" and then flip through my database to look at the results. I keep ideas here also -- project photos found on Pinterest or whatnot. Here's a screenshot of one of my database records. I use Tap Forms. Another advantage is that it's on my Mac and on my iPad with cloud sync, so I can take my list with me. I've got stamps, dies, punches, digital cut files, and embossing folders in the database.

It would be a lot of work to set up if you've got a big inventory, but worth it to be able to find anything easily.

In the record attached, the large top photo is an image of the stamp set, and the bottom smaller photos are ideas for using it (a click expands the photo to full size).
What database are you using?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
yes, the un-mounting and resorting is underway here too. I have done the loosely by category thing for years as far as sentiments go but, I have a lot of things I knew I had them and I kind of even know where they are but, hunting for them would irritate me and so, I would grab what ever was new. ( my new things I have been buying unmounted) and those sets I have not broken the sentiments up. the new things are sorted by mfg.

I don't know if I want to go that far with it yet, but I do separate words from images of wood mounted stamps type of a thing. and I don't see why they could not end up in a system that is pleasing to the eye. but, I have clear stamps in plastic pockets and unmounted rubber in SU dvd cases. so, I don't have a single one kind of a system. some of the wood stamps I am not going to unmount. I am working my way through the sentiments. ( I am afraid of smooshing the rubber so I have not moved any of it to pockets) I would save a ton of room though. ( I did it for slim metal dies of all kinds stuck them to magnetic sheets tucked into pockets)
When you unmount your stamps, do you put an image on the stamp so you know how to place it?

I want to unmount some stamps, but I an image on the stamp. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by WELUVSTANGSView Post
I have about 100+ stamp sets (mostly SU and CTMH), which are currently organized in separate shelving units (old DVD racks that I repurposed years ago, so I consider them "free"). I've noticed that I am failing to use so many good stamps with this storage system. I am kind of type A, but in a relaxed manner. So basically I like order. I am thinking of just storing by category instead. Anyone else do this and are you happier with it? I know it's not going to look as good on my open shelves and that's why I hesitate. Thanks a bunch for any input and advice.
I have always organized by category---you can choose whatever groupings work best for you--- and have never been sorry. I don't know why they wouldn't look as good on your shelves. Employ the same containers you use now, just put "like" things together. I have all my stamps in the old SU clam shell boxes that many of my stamp sets came in, but I mix any company's stamps together with others, as long as they are in the same category. I keep mine in shallow drawers, two deep. Good luck with your reorganizing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I tried separating my sets but ultimately it was unsuccessful and hard to remember what went together when I decided to sell some sets. My solution was to use my smart phone to index all of my sets. Many people will recommend Evernote but I find My Stuff Pro is far more helpful tho a bit harder to set up. I can list all of the sentiments, theme, how many images in set, if it's good for colouring and especially where I store it etc. It's super helpful and I now index all of my pastes and colour mediums, paper pads, stencils, card kits and more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppofctView Post
Sentiments are a challenge for me. The easy one are sympathy, hello, thank you etc The there are ones like " life is better with you in it" What category do you assign that one to?
I would put it in with the friendship or love category.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppofctView Post
Sentiments are a challenge for me. The easy one are sympathy, hello, thank you etc The there are ones like " life is better with you in it" What category do you assign that one to?
I have my sentiments divided by type, and I have a lot of sentiments. I think I need to weed them a bit!

But to answer your question, I have one section that is all "you" stamps. "You are..." "thinking of you" "for you" "you..." and those stamps I call "commands" because the "you" is understood, like "smile" and "cheer up" and "relax". And so on.

Then again, there are some stamps that I can't even imagine what I'd ever use them for...those are together right now, and will soon go into the "purged" pile. ;)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I have always organized by category---you can choose whatever groupings work best for you--- and have never been sorry. I don't know why they wouldn't look as good on your shelves. Employ the same containers you use now, just put "like" things together. I have all my stamps in the old SU clam shell boxes that many of my stamp sets came in, but I mix any company's stamps together with others, as long as they are in the same category. I keep mine in shallow drawers, two deep. Good luck with your reorganizing.
I wish I had drawers to try your system. It certainly would cut down on the dust I am seeing with mine out on the little shelves. I have my wood mounts in clam shells, my CTMH clears in their envelopes and my TAC in old cd cases. I found some stamps that I know I haven't shown love in 5+ years. :shock:
Old 05-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I tried separating my sets but ultimately it was unsuccessful and hard to remember what went together when I decided to sell some sets. My solution was to use my smart phone to index all of my sets. Many people will recommend Evernote but I find My Stuff Pro is far more helpful tho a bit harder to set up. I can list all of the sentiments, theme, how many images in set, if it's good for colouring and especially where I store it etc. It's super helpful and I now index all of my pastes and colour mediums, paper pads, stencils, card kits and more.
You're smart to figure out using your phone! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by WELUVSTANGSView Post
I wish I had drawers to try your system. It certainly would cut down on the dust I am seeing with mine out on the little shelves. I have my wood mounts in clam shells, my CTMH clears in their envelopes and my TAC in old cd cases. I found some stamps that I know I haven't shown love in 5+ years. :shock:
I'm lucky that my DH is a woodworker and made them to my specifications, but if I didn't have such a system, I would find the map drawers or poster drawers the libraries have or craft catalogs show and use those. I have no unmounted stamps as I would rather have mine ready to go rather than mount them for each use. I know they take up more space, but I like wood mounted rubber the best, so I only have what fits in my cabinet. I have lived in dry, dusty areas since starting stamping, so everything is in drawers or containers to keep off the dust and prevent fading from the bright sun. Here's a picture of my system.
Attached Thumbnails
ADVICE PLEASE-stamp-drawers.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default My system

Ok here are a bunch of pictures. I use a large piece of thick cardstock for dividers. Everything is split up according to category.

My wood mount are in large plastic boxes. (Found at Walmart)
I stamped all the wood mount images and will add that to each category in the main clear stamp area
Attached Thumbnails
ADVICE PLEASE-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Somehow I can only add one pic at a time so here are more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
ADVICE PLEASE-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

Even cling stamps. I added duralar to cardstock.
Attached Thumbnails
ADVICE PLEASE-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

And wood mounted stamps
Attached Thumbnails
ADVICE PLEASE-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Evernote searching for stamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
This is my index:

So can Evernote find the stamp you want by seeing the picture of the word stamps or do you have to tag every word in the set you showed if you want Evernote to find it?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2016, 03:31 AM   #56  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheabellaView Post
So can Evernote find the stamp you want by seeing the picture of the word stamps or do you have to tag every word in the set you showed if you want Evernote to find it?
Thanks
It does seem to have a text recognition capability when you search, but I do go ahead from that scan and separate out each image to file in evernote individually, and then tag the keywords.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 AM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post
When you unmount your stamps, do you put an image on the stamp so you know how to place it?

I want to unmount some stamps, but I an image on the stamp. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi, I actually do not. I have been stamping a long time so most of these sentiments some of them are more than 12 years old.
(and I stamp sentiments on scraps nine times out of ten and diecut and hang them on usually)

it's only been since I got a Misti that I have been going back to single layers with the sentiment on the project and for that I do a test inking then put my project in once its straight.

I also stamp standing up so, I think this gives me a better perspective on lining things up I just bend my knees and peek at the rubber before pressing it all the way for the ones still on wood. ( my brain has memorized the ones that were mounted uphill lol) :rolleyes:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also stamp standing up, and I also recently started using the Misti. I love being able to do single layer cards with straight and complete sentiments.

As far as an image on the stamp, you can remount on cling foam and stamp the clingy side of the cling with a permanant ink then try to mount the stamp as close to the image as possible.

Last edited by victorial; 05-20-2016 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #59  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I just got the tiniest heart stamp in a set and I am thrilled-it must be about...1/8 inch...great to put around a character, on things, etc but I dont know how to store it and not lose it. I cant scotch tape it to the cling page-that would leave sticky on it and be a pain. Day one it popped off the packaging and took me a whole week to find on the rug. :rolleyes:
I hear you. I have some teeny hearts stamps. I keep them mounted on the smallest Tim Holtz acrylic gridded block. His blocks are so thin, it easily fits in a Simon Say Stamp square pocket. (the one they carry to store wafer thin dies in)

Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
It does seem to have a text recognition capability when you search, but I do go ahead from that scan and separate out each image to file in evernote individually, and then tag the keywords.
This is going to sound dumb, but what do you mean by "tag"? What does that do? And, how do you do it?

I have heard that term before, but don't know the technique.:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #61  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post
This is going to sound dumb, but what do you mean by "tag"? What does that do? And, how do you do it?

I have heard that term before, but don't know the technique.:confused:
It doesn't sound dumb at all! A tag is a word - a key word - you'd assign to something to make it easier to find again later. It's like a category.

(In real life if you had a pile of clothes in a store, you might tag a piece "sweater" or "blouse," so after they are hung on their racks, customers could easily find sweaters since they wouldn't be mixed in with the jeans and umbrellas.) ; )

You might see a bunch of tags (words) off to the side in someone's blog, and if you click on/tap one of the words, posts that deal with that subject would pop up.

Someone else probably can explain tagging better than I can!

Last edited by bjeans; 06-14-2016 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamcappieView Post
I hear you. I have some teeny hearts stamps. I keep them mounted on the smallest Tim Holtz acrylic gridded block. His blocks are so thin, it easily fits in a Simon Say Stamp square pocket. (the one they carry to store wafer thin dies in)

Donna
I ink my teeniest clear stamps with red ink that's more difficult to remove than most other colors, and don't try to clean it off other than stamping it on paper a bunch of times.

The stamp is fairly permanently colored and I can see it better, whether it's on its card in an Avery Elle pocket, or on my crafting table or falls on the floor. I do have to find it before one of our cats does, since his motto is if you don't know what something is, chew it.
Reply With Quote Likes