Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anna, you shouldn't feel like you have to hide and I am glad you posted your thoughts and that your intent was not to upset or hurt anyone... I hope that we can move forward from this and have a wonderful LOSTie get together. This years get together has had a lot of issues, but I would hate for people to leave or not come as a result...

HUGS all around...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Anna, I think part of the problem here is that while your issue was with two or three people, you chose to air it here on this thread, which was intended to figure out where to go from here with the gathering. This thread was not intended to say we should have done this or could have done that, etc. I am all for voicing an opinion in a calm, coherent manner to the person/people directly involved. I just don't think it needs to be done in a way that will get the thread off track.

I think we all agree that we need to make a decision fairly soon and I'm glad Kris today put a deadline on when she needs to know by because April 1 is not that far away and it shows just how soon we do need to act. I don't mean to be bossy, but I think if we could just keep right now to the topic at hand, which is what are we doing this year, that would be great. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, rereading my post, I guess I am kind of bossy, LOL! I am just anxious, as I know the rest of you are, to start making plans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #84  
Ms. Brightside

Location: On the verge of greatness and the brink of insanity!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinAnnaView Post
Well, this has been interesting. I will up front say I'm the one who emailed them last night, feel free to toss some tomatoes if you wanna. I wasn't trying to bash, cause hurt feelings, or be so UNLOSTIE like. I was told something a few weeks ago that upset me, and it involved a few losties. I was told this by someone who was directly involved in it and I shared my unhappy thoughts about the matter with them a few weeks back. I was hurt/shocked by the information I received, and felt deceived. I've had these feelings hanging around me for the last few weeks. And I thought it was more or less put to rest a few weeks back, but things changed this week, and I was caught dealing with the issue again.
Anna - For my part, I don't think expressing your feelings honestly is any reason to put a target on your back or a price on your head. As far as I can tell, a LOT of folks have been hurt by this whole get together thing. There's a part of me that believes it would be best if we just decided NOT to get together this year. That would put to rest to all the name calling and finger pointing about this issue.

I'm sorry Colleen and Cindy feel hurt. And, I'm sorry you feel hurt. I'm sorry everyone feels somewhat hurt and disillusioned. I'd like to say that our sisterhood should be above this kind of stuff, but it's human nature. As idyllic as we like to view our Island, it's not Utopia and when people are involved there's always potential for hurt and sadness. :(

I don't really stamp much. I'm just here for the company.

Last edited by JusColorado; 02-23-2008 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #85  
Ms. Brightside

And, why do I suddenly feel like I'm wearing a Darth Vader mask? ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #86  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusColoradoView Post
And, why do I suddenly feel like I'm wearing a Darth Vader mask? ;)
LOL.. Are you breathing heavy???

I can't breath in this thing.... Dark Helmet :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #87  
Ms. Brightside

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphenechoView Post
LOL.. Are you breathing heavy???

I can't breath in this thing.... Dark Helmet :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M32wTjksZs

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #88  
Desmond's Darlin'

Quote:

Just meaning that it was up to us who we offered our services up to and I figured everyone would cook, etc, just didn't want to be the one assigned that task of doing it ALL.. I'm all for doing things when I'm asked , but hate being assigned or expected to do stuff, ya know... Just me..

and it is a MUST that it is called the GUTTER BUS Cabin!!! LMGBBO (gutter busin' butt)
Stace, I hope you Never felt anything extra was expected of you in UT...I offered to shop and drive to the airport, b/c I would enjoy that, but I never meant to imply that any other Westie would be expected to do it! MWAH! {HUGS}

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #89  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,081 Likes on 861 Posts

I disagree with you Justine. I sure hope that we can all put this whole issue behind us and go on with it. If we can kind of keep the cost down, I'm trying to make it to CO. There was no way going to either of the other 2 places because of the cost - $300 just for the rental. Even so it's $150 for car rental, so it would be good if those of us flying could meet up at the airport and share a car. That would keep the cost down too. I for one don't want to lose momentum here by skipping a year because it may not get going again next year. The Gingerbread House looks really good. I had done a search the other day in Utah and didn't find anything else that would have been good for us, so I'm glad that this one turned up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #90  
Gallery Gazer

Default My two cents.

So I've composed this post about 6 times. It's just long.

I don't want to add any fuel to the fire, step on toes, offend anyone but I guess that its not possible to keep everyone happy. You all know I don't usually speak up unless somethings really sticking in my craw, kwim???
Well this whole thing is pretty much up there. so I have a few points I'd like to make so I can move on. This is all I have to say on the subject and I don't wish to discuss it again.

I think its totally fair to switch up the regional area where the annual lostie gathering is held.

I think its equally fair for those who can't make it for whatever reason to the official place to get together at an alternate location, same or different days.

I think its normal to approve of a location that's geographically and financially more convenient.

As one of the losties who has made it to both the gatherings, I take offense at the idea that something underhanded has gone on with regard to the selection of the location by those of us in this region. But, I choose not to let that eat at me.

I feel that those who may not be able to make a gathering have every right to investigate locations which would be suitable for a get together stamping geared or not.

The time I've spent at the last two gatherings is special and the bonds I have with those who were there are special because we've put another level on our friendship, and that's the face to face one. That doesn't mean I don't want those bonds with others, but this is a large country and it may not be logistically feasible.

I'd like to let those who may not be familiar with this part of the US know that just because Cindy is in OH and I'm in Indiana that to get to her house I have drive about 7 hours! To get to Colleen, it's at least 5. It takes about 6 hours to drive from n. Indiana to S. Indiana. Its not like we are down the street from one another. For crying out loud Debbie is an hour and a half away and it looks like we live a mile from each other on the map. I drove 9 hours to West Virginia last year...and it was only 2 states away! Its about 15 hours from my house to the actual East Coast, more if I have to head up Jess' way. Iowa is hardly the east coast. If anything its the most centrally located state that has been looked at so YES, it was a fair one to be on the poll way back. And yes, had I chosen to vote, I would have voted for it.

We all make choices. My choice is to not attend a more western gathering for the stated reasons.

I'm not angry at anyone, I'm disappointed that something that seems so easy to solve has hurt so many feelings. I mean someone very very dear to me is likely leaving our island over this...sad. It just seems so simple. If you can make it you make it, if you can't whatever.

Be happy for the Losties who get to spend the time together however it happens rather than tear each other apart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm feeling so awful about this whole thing now.... I was trying to help find a solution, but I don't know if it's gonna happen... I am all mixed up inside and feeling really upset... :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #92  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,081 Likes on 861 Posts

I think you said it all very well Chrissy. I might say that without Colleen, we might not have had any Sisterhood or LOSTie gatherings.

Sorry you're feeling bad about things Stacy. I hope you can get a happy face back on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #93  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!

I've been thinking for a while and I'm concerned about my friends.

The Island is made up of a bunch of wonderful ladies. Each bring their own unique personality to the thread. I see us all as being equally important on the thread. It wouldn't be the same w/o any one of you.

Personally, I am thankful when someone expresses their thoughts and feelings. I have often found that when someone holds back it causes more harm. If there's a question about something should be asked or discussed. As long as time is taken to talk things out, it's usually for the better. This of course is my opinion. I realize that not everyone feels this way.

I'd like to think we would be open to thoughtful discussion and supportive of our fellow LOSTies and their individual opinions. We don't know what took place in these emails. I think it's best to leave it that way. I understand there are hurt feelings. I know how that goes. It's terrible. I also read that there was no intent. I'd like to believe that one of my Sistas would not intentionally try to hurt someone else.

I don't want anyone to leave the Island over all of this. And honestly in a few days, I believe it will be fine and everyone will be back. Some may need a few days to get away from the intensity of it all. I found it can be very helpful. Hugs to you all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #94  
Polly Pocket

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitter_GirlView Post
I see your point, Jus. But I don't feel that just the West gals would go to CO. I think Maggie was planning on going...and I think Jess is bound and determined. I obviously can't speak for everyone. But I wouldn't write it off as CO not being an option. Ya know. But I completely see your point.
Hey ladies! I'm just jumping in on this thread, but I wanted to ditto to Collen and say that Alys and I have always said that we would go anywhere. If it is CO, I'm still planning on making it. If the trip ends up being like $1000 or something, I can't make any promises, but since I was already planning on going out west changing it to CO doesn't make a huge difference for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #95  
Polly Pocket

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusColoradoView Post
Honestly, the reason I didn't want to have it in CO is because I cannot possibly help all the gals who fly in get to/from the airport for either location. Both locations we looked at are a good hour from my house as it is and the airport is an hour in the opposite direction. There's no way I can be doing multiple shuttle runs with what is going on right now with my family. So, costs coming to CO is going to go up if folks need to find transportation. This was the reason everyone voted against coming here in the first place, isn't it?
I wouldn't expect you to do that, Justine. The transportation is the main reason that I haven't picked the CO places, but it is not the end of the world. I have gone on many business trips where we have to get our own transportation to the meeting place, and I don't think it's that big of a deal. Plus, Alyson and I will probably take the same flight, so we would share the cost of a taxi or rent a car.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 04:44 AM   #96  
Polly Pocket

Quote:

We agreed as a group, to move it to TX or to the West, and now, we've got another poll to move it back to IA again. I just feel like it should stay in the region we agreed on.
I'm not offended by anything you wrote, and I hope that nobody is offened by me, but I do disagree with this. I don't recall ever voting to go out to Texas or saying that I was going to vote to go to Texas or any other state (other than the most recent place in UT). If we did it where we picked a state or a region and then picked a gathering place, then I would definitely say that the places we decide on need to be in that region, but we didn't do it that way. I'm not saying that I wouldn't go to Texas because you guys know that I would, but I just think that words or thoughts that were posted have been twisted. Perhaps we should start voting that way? I think that the polls have been designed to pick based more on the places, and the place that wins is the place that it should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 04:48 AM   #97  
Polly Pocket

Quote:

Ok....I just read on further.

I also recieved an email that really and truly hurt my feelings.

I am officially withdrawing myself from this entire process. I am hurt, upset, and honestly, I am in tears right now. I apologize for this entire mess.

I hope you all can work something out. I'm sure no matter where you end up getting together it will be super fun! I just can't do this anymore. I don't think I'll be around much anymore. It makes me sad because I was one of the people who kind of started the Sisterhood. But, hey...times change, people change, right?

I appreciate all of the friendships I have made with you. You know where to find me if you wanna talk.

(((HUGS)))
This is terrible. I'm so sorry, Colleen. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #98  
Polly Pocket

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjc820View Post
Ok, rereading my post, I guess I am kind of bossy, LOL! I am just anxious, as I know the rest of you are, to start making plans.
You aren't bossy, silly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #99  
Ms. Brightside

Quote:

Originally Posted by BsmtScrapperView Post
I've been thinking for a while and I'm concerned about my friends.

The Island is made up of a bunch of wonderful ladies. Each bring their own unique personality to the thread. I see us all as being equally important on the thread. It wouldn't be the same w/o any one of you.

Personally, I am thankful when someone expresses their thoughts and feelings. I have often found that when someone holds back it causes more harm. If there's a question about something should be asked or discussed. As long as time is taken to talk things out, it's usually for the better. This of course is my opinion. I realize that not everyone feels this way.

I'd like to think we would be open to thoughtful discussion and supportive of our fellow LOSTies and their individual opinions. We don't know what took place in these emails. I think it's best to leave it that way. I understand there are hurt feelings. I know how that goes. It's terrible. I also read that there was no intent. I'd like to believe that one of my Sistas would not intentionally try to hurt someone else.

I don't want anyone to leave the Island over all of this. And honestly in a few days, I believe it will be fine and everyone will be back. Some may need a few days to get away from the intensity of it all. I found it can be very helpful. Hugs to you all.
Tracy, I agree with everything you've said here and especially with the parts I've put in bold. If this is a true sisterhood, then we should expect that sisters will disagree and sometimes negative words will be exchanged. I know this is how it has always worked with me and my two sisters. ;)

I also believe that no one was out to intentionally hurt anyone else. We're 30+ gals with 30+ differing opinions and situations. It doesn't seem right that folks should be called out for speaking their minds or voting their heart.

Things aren't always going to be fair or easy. But, it's important to our community to try to make it as close to that ideal as possible. While I realize that moving the gathering west will mean that some gals who have gone to the previous two LOSTie get togethers will not be able to attend this one, it also means that gals who haven't been able to attend the last two will finally get a chance to go. And, that's as close as we can get to fair.

PS....How awesome is it that we all care about each other so much that we actually are fighting over when/where/how we can get together and hang out and make things fair?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

This really is just getting more and more depressing. You guys, really... Colleen and I have backed out of it. We are out. Out of the planning, out of the gathering. There really is no further cause for concern. Jessica seems to be working out trying to line up a new place for you all to go to, and I hope you all have a great time.

I am sure I will regret this later, but I feel I can't go without making some clarifications, or expressing my point of view.

First of all, I have never said and to my knowledge Colleen has never said anyone was more important than anyone else. Secondly, we didn't call anyone out. We were confronted.

I started this thread with the hope that we could all express our feelings in a civil manner as friends. If either of us were really trying to manipulate anything, why would I do that?

I don't think it's any secret that Colleen and I have a friendship the extends beyond our conversation on the thread. We have talked to eachother a great deal about the gathering, what is fair, how things should be approached. She has bounced ideas off of me and I have given her my opinions. We agree on a lot but not always everything. For instance, she prefers one gathering, I personally am in favor of seperate regional gatherings. And for those that can travel beyond their region and want to, wonderful, if not, you have a place closer to home to go to. But I understand her position.

She has always, always, from the early planning stages of the first gathering and up until today, wants one gathering where as many people as possible can go. AND PLEASE, IF YOU ONLY TAKE ONE THING AWAY FROM WHAT I SAY IN THIS POST, LET IT BE THIS: I can tell you now, that for that reason alone, in the interest of getting as many LOSTies as possible in one location, is the only motive she has ever had for selecting alternate locations for the gathering.

What happened - is we noticed a problem with a majority of the locations. Proximity to the airport. Which meant added expense to anyone flying in. Anna wondered why if this hadn't been a concern in the past, why was it now? (that was during the drama of a few weeks ago). Well doesn't it make sense, that we might have learned a couple things by the previous two years? Again, the motive was: MAKE IT EASIER FOR MORE PEOPLE TO COME. So Colleen asked Alyson and I for help. She gave us each some states to research. Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma and Kansas. Why these states? Well because Colleen had already researched states further west and we weren't coming up with anything that seemed convienant travel wise for anyone flying in, not just ourselves. But to be clear, three of these four states are still WEST of the Mississippi.

So we set about doing our research. And we found almost nothing. But I was assigned Iowa. And I - yes, me, not Colleen, found Walnut Place Retreat. So I contacted the owner and exchanged serveral emails with her. I was so excited. It seemed perfect. Six miles from the airport! the owner said she would be happy to pick people up. And the retreat itself was so inexpensive! And, while there was I think only 12 beds, the owner said if we had more, no prob, we were welcome to bring sleeping bags and blow up mattresses if we wanted to.

I could barely contain my excitement over this place. Yeah, it wasn't west per se, it was central (and yes a little bit more east than west), but I thougt with the convience of the free shuttle, being close to an airport, i felt so excited like this would be a place that MANY LOSTies would be able to come to. I emailed Colleen. I told her I feel like I've found it, I feel like this is our place! That is truly how I felt. I just felt so positivie about it. It was never, never my intention to manipulate anyone to come to a place that was more convienant for me. Because let me tell you, I don't consider a 10 hour drive convienant, not only that I would have to rent a car because neither of my cars I feel are up to a 10 hour road trip.

Colleen shared in my enthusiasm for this place and both really hoped that this would be the LOSTies retreat of choice. But let me tell you, she did have concerns. She was wondered if people would be mad because it was not further west. I told her, all we can do it put it on the poll and see what people think, right? I mean just because it's on the poll doesn't mean it will win. And no one said anything. Let me repeat NO ONE VOICED ANY OBJECTIONS. No one took the time to ask Colleen, why it was there, or told her it seemed strange that a location so close to her is now on the poll. Certainly, don't you think that we as friends, if we have concerns can come to one another and I say "hey, I don't know if I feel ok about this. Can you maybe tell me why it's there?". Not a word, not a peep.

Then, Iowa won the poll, and things suddenly unraveled. Some things were said on the thread, some thinly veiled accusations about who it was convienant for... well you were all there. So, the short end of that is we said forget it. Let's just keep the peace and take it off the poll and re-vote. Neither one of us felt good about it, Colleen was especially hurt that anyone thought she was deliberately trying to be deceptive. But after a lot of conversation and the re-vote, we both knew it would be ok. Things would settle down, and ultimately, the gathering would still be as special and fun as it's ever been.

Then she gets the news about the Utah house. Let me tell you, I know how I felt when she told me, I felt like the bottom dropped out of my stomache. Instant dread of what was to come. I can't imagine how she felt having to deliver that bad news. So she suggested Iowa again - ALONG WITH A FEW OTHER OPTIONS.

I was concerned, what if it wins again, will it start off another firestorm? Colleen and I talked a lot about Iowa and other options. She put up the polls, but not a lot of people were saying much and polls can't convey feelings. I told Colleen that we needed to get people talking. We need to avoid further hard feelings and turmoil and fihnd out how people feel about this and what everyone wants to do next. She said she tried to get people talking but there wasn't a lot of response. I said would you like me to start a special thread where we can air everything out, hopefully find a solution that works for everyone - or at least one that no one feels bad about. She thought it was a good idea.

So the brings ut to where we are now. Yes we recieved and email, but even if we hadn't, the very same accusations that were in that email are also publicly posted on this thread, without directly naming names. And as far as intentions go... well saying I didn't mean it doesn't carry a lot of weight with me in light of the uglieness of the words that proceeded it.

So while I don't feel obligated to explain myself to the person who confronted me, I do want to make sure you all know, deception and manipulation was never my aim , nor was it Colleens. I have no idea if Colleen will come back to the thread, because she feels people are really buying into this, she thinks people actually belive that she deliberately tried to manipulate things to her advantage. I sincerely hope that's not the case.

I'll be taking a break now. I hope that what I said can clear some things up for any of you who had any lingering doubts, and if not, well, I did the best I could. I also hope this now puts this subject to bed, and you all can continue with the planning of the annual LOSTie gathering. Please don't give up on it. As someone who has been to the previous two, the memories you will all make being together will be something that stay with you forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #101  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh you guys!!! I'm so sad!!! I just read through these 3 pages and feel terrible about the hurt feelings!! all around! I want to meet ALL of you!! You have no idea how completely excited I have been to go to Cakeapalooza!!!! I feel sad that Colleen and Cindy are thinking of not going at all cuz I really want to meet both of them!!! Being as far West as it gets, I can say, yes, it'd be great to have a gathering out west somewhere, but honestly, I just want to meet real live LOSTies and don't care where it is, it could be in Maine or Florida for all I care!!! I think it is a great idea to rotate the locations each year to give more opportunities to those who can't afford to go across the whole country. At least if it's rotated, they'll get a chance to meet up at some point.

I have to say that I feel blessed by all the work that Colleen and Cindy and EVERYONE who was involved put into researching and planning for this trip. I think Cindy finding the place in Iowa was completely valid and I can see why she was excited about it.

My vote right now??? I think the GutterBus Cottage sounds great!! But if more of you would be willing to go to Iowa, I'll go there too!!

I want Colleen back!!!

Weenie!! We love you and want you here with us!!

Anna, I feel bad that your feelings were hurt and I'm glad you were able to voice your thoughts and feelings. I hope this is something that is able to be resolved and we can move past it. I really want to meet you too!!

Ok, it's 12:30 am, I hope what I'm saying is coherent and didn't offend anyone, I love you all and just want us to be able to resolve this so we can all meet up and I sure hope you all don't think of scrapping the whole get together this year, it would break my heart!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #102  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, here are a few of my thoughts....

Not to beat a dead horse, but when we were voting for places it looked like the top 3 were taken from each poll and moved to the next poll. Then when IA was added in the later polls, but UT and CO were still the clear winners and so I assumed they would be the 3 places to choose from on the last poll, however IA was still in the mix when it was not the top choice. So I was surprised when I saw the next poll and IA was then chosen after weeks of it being UT or CO. Even though people were discussing convention being the same weekend they never said they were NOT going to the WEST LOSTie gathering. So to me it seemed as if there was a shift in the votes. When we say it's gonna be in one region/area then we should stick to that. Every year we can choose another region/area. It needs to be evenly spread across the US so most LOSTies can all have a fair chance of going to the get together. I know we all want to meet each other and get together, but honestly, if this is a precursor of how the voting/polls are gonna be in the future, I will not go to any of them. Either we fix it now, or we drop it all together, but that’s just my thoughts.

I don’t think anyone should leave over this… We need to talk about it, get it our there, deal with it and move on. Cause it would really be a shame if the LOSTie group split up. Does this spat constitute the Band breakin’ up???? PLEASE take a few days off if needed, talk to people, call people, but try to look at things calmly and rationally and come back to our true SISTERHOOD of friends… I’m trying to keep my positive spirits about this whole thing, but it’s really getting to me and so with this I will let it go….

Jess, how’s the GB Cottage looking?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

We are fixing it I think - the latest poll Colleen took showed Colorado as the winner and that's what we're going with - God willing! I e-mailed the GB Cottage lady just to make sure that our weekend is free - the website shows that it is, but I just wanted to make sure that it's current before we all get our heart set on the place again. As soon as I hear back from her, I will start a new thread to leave all this behind where I can give details, people can provide input on the place, say if they want to go, etc.

I'd just as soon put this thread behind us because I feel like with each post, people are getting more upset or depressed and well gosh darnit, I can't have that happening to my girls! As for what will happen in the future, my vote would be to deal with that once this year is taken care of.

So as soon as I hear from the GBC, I'll let you guys know. Keep your fingers crossed that she gets back to me soon! I'm hopeful that we can either say yay or nay to this place so we can either book it or look elsewhere within the next few days.

Oh, and I just wanted to say, I hope no one minds that I'm just sort of voting myself in to take over here! I just didn't want to lose any momentum, so I thought I'd take the reigns and run with it. If anyone does have an issue or would rather organize it themselves, just shoot me an e-mail!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #104  
Goober-E LOST-E

Quote:

Devil's Advocate then....

If only a few people can make it, then it's not an annual LOSTie gathering, right?

Could we choose another place all together???
This is an interesting point....

I guess maybe cost may prevent an official gathering.

I still think the majority can vote on a place and if you can afford to go to a place then it IS an offical gathering, right?
That's what the majority picked.

At first I didn't like the idea of more than 1 gathering b/c it would mean me choosing. Well, duh! I'm always going to choose by cost - not place or participants.
Of course I COULD win the lottery and this would be a moo point ;)

Now that it's looking like cost is a factor for so many then why not get together closer for some?
I'm still unsure about the whole thing but it seems unfair for those that can't go based on cost to the MAIN place to miss out on meeting (or meeting up again) w/ people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edie32View Post
This is an interesting point....

I guess maybe cost may prevent an official gathering.

I still think the majority can vote on a place and if you can afford to go to a place then it IS an offical gathering, right?
That's what the majority picked.

At first I didn't like the idea of more than 1 gathering b/c it would mean me choosing. Well, duh! I'm always going to choose by cost - not place or participants.
Of course I COULD win the lottery and this would be a moo point ;)

Now that it's looking like cost is a factor for so many then why not get together closer for some?
I'm still unsure about the whole thing but it seems unfair for those that can't go based on cost to the MAIN place to miss out on meeting (or meeting up again) w/ people.

Cost will be a factor for many... What I was trying to say is the annual LOSTie get together should be in one place and those who can go, go. Other smaller get togethers would not be the annual LOSTie get together. I think the annual LOSTie get together should be the date/time/place voted for and then who can make it, try to make it. People get together all the time, but it's not the annual voted for get together.. This is just how I see it... clear as mud?? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

We are fixing it I think - the latest poll Colleen took showed Colorado as the winner and that's what we're going with - God willing! I e-mailed the GB Cottage lady just to make sure that our weekend is free - the website shows that it is, but I just wanted to make sure that it's current before we all get our heart set on the place again. As soon as I hear back from her, I will start a new thread to leave all this behind where I can give details, people can provide input on the place, say if they want to go, etc.

I'd just as soon put this thread behind us because I feel like with each post, people are getting more upset or depressed and well gosh darnit, I can't have that happening to my girls! As for what will happen in the future, my vote would be to deal with that once this year is taken care of.

So as soon as I hear from the GBC, I'll let you guys know. Keep your fingers crossed that she gets back to me soon! I'm hopeful that we can either say yay or nay to this place so we can either book it or look elsewhere within the next few days.

Oh, and I just wanted to say, I hope no one minds that I'm just sort of voting myself in to take over here! I just didn't want to lose any momentum, so I thought I'd take the reigns and run with it. If anyone does have an issue or would rather organize it themselves, just shoot me an e-mail!
I REALLY hope the GB Cottage works out.. Seriously!!! I want to meet my LOSTies.... SERIOUSLY!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #107  
Goober-E LOST-E

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckaraszView Post
Yeah.

I just want to see some LOSTies this year. I'd like to see as many as possible, but if I can't go to the gathering I just want to know that say for example, if I Edie and I go to Hershey as we discussed (and that's not to say that we are, we only just talked about it that once) and have our own stamping get together, that it's all copacetic (for you Jus ;) ) with everyone, and especially if someone else decides to come or whatever. Because I may not be able to afford a $400 flight but I can afford to drive 5 hours, ya know?
Exactly.
As much as I want to meet 10 or more Losties at one time and sit and stamp & chat I can't swing it.
IA was a good choice for ME (I'm only speaking for myself) b/c the costs were lower.
I only have so much $ saved now and some time to get more but I can't just grab $500 from family funds and use it for myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #108  
Goober-E LOST-E

Quote:

Hey girls!

I just talked to the lady at The Scrapbook Retreat.

It IS still available. Here are the deets:
$225 for the weekend.
$75 extra for Thurs.
The deposit is $50 per person.

If 10 people go...the 10th person is FREE. Which means the group would get a discount of $225. (the $75 for the extra night would have to be paid).
Where is this?
I get confused by the place names and not WHERE it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Where is this?
I get confused by the place names and not WHERE it is.

CO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #110  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks Jess for stepping up and keeping us going and keeping things positive!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #111  
Goober-E LOST-E

my thoughts here
Quote:

A few things first....I think it's very hurtful and insensitive of us to all keep saying two gatherings. There are lots of TX gals, and it's like at we're not adding them into this equation, and I think we should watch that when we keep saying two. I feel like we're leaving them out when we talk like there's only two regions who should have an option for something.

First, I don't see any reason NOT to have more than 1 gathering IF it's what people want.
Isn't TX in the running NEXT year or am I mistaken?
I have been told that....

I know this will make people mad at me for saying this, but this is just how I feel about it. I don't think it's fair to now be like we need two this year, or we need to move it from the area we agreed on a year ago because something happened to the house. I know we can't help the house issue. I think we should find another place in that area. We had so many people express hurt feelings after last year's gathering, and even a few weeks ago, over being left out because of location, and traveling cost factors. We agreed as a group, to move it to TX or to the West, and now, we've got another poll to move it back to IA again. I just feel like it should stay in the region we agreed on.

I guess I just feel like the desire for people to go isn't stronger for those who have gone as those who haven't, but the opportunites the past two years have enabled them to go because of the locations were able to be driven to by the majority of those attending.
Plenty of people flew to the other 2 places. Driving isn't the issue...cost and convenince is.
I think the desire is still there. People want to go. I want to go...I just can't necessarily swing it.
Heck, I wanted to go EVERY year and couldn't. The last 2 places were cheaper than this place (b/c of flying, not the place) and I still couldn't make it work.

I feel like at times there was a bit of insensitivity about that fact, because it didn't affect every one the same way with the travel arrangements, and that's how the voting went. The others want to come too, but can't because the travel costs have put it out of their reach. I feel like there's only a few folks where it doesn't matter where the location is, they'll go no matter where it is. For the rest of us, that's not our reality, and we all have to face the fact that it can cost a lot to travel to do this one weekend. The cost factor is so different when you're able to travel by car to the locations, while those outside that area have to factor in air fair. I'm not trying to point fingers, or anything, I'm just saying for me, I know I look at it, and go dudes, this is just not right, and I feel pretty angry about it.
Can I ask you...why are you angry if you're not going? You said cost was a factor for you and a bunch of us...so why are you angry about things?

I think all of us can speak for ourselves. If we have something to say...we should.
We should say we're disappointed or frustrated and be able to voice our thoughts to everyone but for me, if I can't go I won't weigh in.
Let everyone that is GOING work out the how, where & when. My opinion on things shouldn't have any impact on what they do.

I'm sure that'll tick some folks off, and they will want to kick me, but I have to be honest about this. I feel a lot of resentment with seeing IA on the map as a choice, knowing that so many other losties want that same oppuritinity to go because it's closer to them.
But maybe one day it WILL be closer to someone else. TX is still a huge place and if we do it there and 10 of us fly in some TX girls are still going to have to figure out how to get to 1 place in TX that could be hours from them.

For me, it just kinda feels like we'd rob folks if we moved it from the west. Even if I know that'll make it so much harder for me to go, I feel like it's the right thing to do keeping it out west. (I'm still watching air fair, and I did see better flights for me to get to Denver than I did to get to IA.) I'm even talking to Jeannie about her coming too.

As far as people getting together in smaller groups, that happens now, and I don't think any less of people. When I go to GA, I try to see Alyson and Leslie and I don't think anyone thinks differently of folks who do that. Just like when people go to NYC. I was thinking that Cindy and Colleen are so close in distance, they should totally get together one weekend. Take advantage of being about 5 hours apart.

I hope I didn't offend any one, I'm not trying too to rude or anything, I just can't fluff it up. I know everyone wants to go, but reality is, that can't happen, but we all deserve the right to have one close to home, at least that's how I feel about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #112  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Cost will be a factor for many... What I was trying to say is the annual LOSTie get together should be in one place and those who can go, go. Other smaller get togethers would not be the annual LOSTie get together. I think the annual LOSTie get together should be the date/time/place voted for and then who can make it, try to make it. People get together all the time, but it's not the annual voted for get together.. This is just how I see it... clear as mud?? ;)
This makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #113  
Goober-E LOST-E

Quote:

ATTENTION!! If anyone is still reading this thread!!! Thoughts on this place needed please!

The Gingerbread Cottage (www.gbcottage.com) is available on the weekend we are looking at! The cost is $1000 for Thursday - Sunday, no matter how many people attend. So, if everyone who was planning to attend Utah could attend this too, it would work out to $100 per person or less!

This does not include food, but they do provide some snacks and a coffee bar and stuff. And since Justine lives about an hour away, she has offered to do the food shopping at Costco, where we could get some good deals. She would eat some of the food costs herself since she won't be needing to pay for a plane ticket or a rental car, and then we'd all chip in a bit of money too to help make up the difference.

The site says it sleeps 12 people, but I don't see why, if more people wanted to go, we couldn't crash on couches or floors or whatever. I know I don't mind that.

It is a bit of a distance from the airport, so rental cars will be needed, but that was the case with Utah as well. If some of us coordinate flights to arrive around the same time, we could share cars.

Thoughts on this????
This looks like a great place but CO is out for me.
Not just personal stuff but cost - I checked and flights are $350+ + $100 + car rental + food = Edie not going.

Bummer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #114  
Goober-E LOST-E

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschoenerView Post

2. The second thing that no one has addressed yet is the e-mail that was sent to Colleen today by one of the LOSTies. I have no idea who sent it to her, but for her to say that someone truly hurt her feelings and said nasty things to her that made her cry, is very upsetting to me and NOT in the LOSTies spirit.
DITTO!
Well said, Maggie.
It's WRONG to call someone out like that.
IF you have something to say...why not try ASKING instead of accusing?
Or just say how you FEEL and not assume you are correct in your thinking.
You may have your facts wrong or twisted.
IMO there are ways to say what you have to say w/o being so harsh.
I do think that whoever sent the e-mail to Colleen needs to send an apology to her also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #115  
Goober-E LOST-E

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiesView Post
I did address it - I sent her an e-mail with Lostie Love and I just made her a card.
Let me make something CLEAR - I'm NOT the person who sent the e-mail.
AW!
Hugs there Trace! No worries!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Not just personal stuff but cost - I checked and flights are $350+ + $100 + car rental + food = Edie not going.

Bummer.

Was UT more or less than CO for you Eds?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Bummer.
Don't say that yet! You never know how flights could change or maybe you'll get some extra unexpected miracle money. :-) From the quick look I took Denver is a little cheaper to fly into than Salt Lake City was, so don't resign yourself to not going at this point.

I don't want anyone to rule anything out just yet. If we do end up at GBC, half of the money isn't due until the middle of June and the other half is due just two weeks before we go. Obviously if I'm collecting the money we'll need to back things up a week or so to allow me time to get it and send it to CO, but that still gives us time. And rental cars, food, etc. don't need to be paid for for a few months either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #118  
Goober-E LOST-E

;
Quote:

I think we should pick the place and everyone should try to make it to that one. (Isn't that how it's always been???) I would hope that everyone would try their hardest to make it to the LOSTie get together and not plan another gathering instead of the LOSTie gathering......

I agree.
If I can't make the big gathering and try to see SOME one some time I wouldn't want that thing to pick up steam over what was already chosen.
If I come into lottery winnings I'd be in CO - just a little mama drama to get over ;)

I hope the person who sent the email to Weens was just voicing her opinion and thoughts and did not intentionally say things that were rude or uncalled for. All though I don't think we need to be told how to behave towards each other, we are all adults and SISTERS more importantly and should know how to threat each other.
Oh I think most of us know how to act.
I think this is my beef, too.
HOW did this get so heated?
We're supposed to be friends, right? Why is everyone so twisted up? I mean yeah, some people have acted inappropriately to people and they have a right to having their feelings hurt but what happened to respecting our friends?

I'm with Jus in that I did not want to be the taxi driver or caterer at the UT house. I would be willing to offer some help, but did not want to be expected to be the taxi driver or food preparer. I personally want a retreat where I don't have to worry about who's picking up/driving so and so and who's cooking what, I want to be catered to!! LOL but that's just me...

I can see your point and respect your point of view on not wanting to shuttle.

I hope we can all voice our thoughts and opinions and try not to upset or hurt anyones feelings.. cause we are still LOSTie Sisters after all...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #119  
Goober-E LOST-E

Quote:

Anna, you shouldn't feel like you have to hide and I am glad you posted your thoughts and that your intent was not to upset or hurt anyone... I hope that we can move forward from this and have a wonderful LOSTie get together. This years get together has had a lot of issues, but I would hate for people to leave or not come as a result...

HUGS all around...
While I totally agree that people should have a say and a place to say it there are ways to express yourself w/o being so accusatory.
ASK someone "did this happen?" "did you say this about me?"

I"m tired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #120  
Goober-E LOST-E

Quote:

Anna, I think part of the problem here is that while your issue was with two or three people, you chose to air it here on this thread, which was intended to figure out where to go from here with the gathering. This thread was not intended to say we should have done this or could have done that, etc. I am all for voicing an opinion in a calm, coherent manner to the person/people directly involved. I just don't think it needs to be done in a way that will get the thread off track.

I think we all agree that we need to make a decision fairly soon and I'm glad Kris today put a deadline on when she needs to know by because April 1 is not that far away and it shows just how soon we do need to act. I don't mean to be bossy, but I think if we could just keep right now to the topic at hand, which is what are we doing this year, that would be great. Thanks everyone!
Thank goodness for your calm demeanor!
Reply With Quote Likes