Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOSTies... Let's Discuss Our Gathering

Hi Ladies. I hope you all don�t mind me stepping in and helping Colleen with this. I think people have been holding back somewhat, there hasn�t been very much discussion since we got the news about the Utah house. But in order to move ahead, we need to start talking. I wanted to do this on a separate thread so we can have everyone�s thoughts in one place where it would be easy to find, without having to search through the normal chatter of our regular thread, and I know that no one wants 100 emails in their inbox. ;)

With the Utah gathering going belly up, we need to find a way to get back on track with the gathering planning, and we need to do it quickly, so as to not loose our preferred weekends.

Now, believe me, *I know* there are a lot of strong feelings on this. Maybe the reason some people have not said much is because none of us wants us to get that ball rolling again.

So now what do we do? Do we find another location out west? Do we go with one of the Colorado retreats? Or do we go to Iowa? Do we have two gatherings, or do we have one? If we have two separate gatherings do we have them on different dates? And if we do, which gathering gets the original date?

The first thing we have to consider is that starting the polling process all over again could take weeks. Colleen (and several others contributed) did hours and hours of research on retreats, first locating them, then once we had dates nailed down, calling them and emailing to find out availability� which at this stage in the game, I am sure what was available on what dates has probably changed quite a bit.

Some people want only one gathering. I can understand this. If you have the option to go to either, it would be hard to decide. Not to mention, if we have two, it is likely that it will be two smaller gatherings and you wouldn�t get to meet as many people, and maybe the someone you�ve really been wanting to meet will choose the other gathering.

However, if we only choose one, no matter where it is in the country, there are going to be people that can�t go because cost of travel, or travel time, or other various reasons. As far as the current polls that Colleen has up� it looks like the majority are agreed on separate gatherings, and as far as location goes, last time I checked a CO retreat was in the lead.

So, is it going to cause hard feelings if we do in fact do separate gatherings? I know, I know, I know, it�s not the ideal. We all want to be together at one. That�s what I want, too. But for a good amount of us, it�s just not possible. If we go with one �official� gathering, at the location that wins the poll, is anybody going to be put out if say some people who can�t go to that one, plan a smaller one with other people in their region who also can�t go to the official one?

So let�s talk, friends. What do you think, as in what is your personal preference? For this year, this gathering. I know there are lots of ideas on how things should have been done differently, or how they should be done in the future� but for the sake of saving some hurt feelings� maybe we can just word it in way that just conveys our personal preferences?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Question: Is the poll closed? Has everyone voted that wanted to?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphenechoView Post
Question: Is the poll closed? Has everyone voted that wanted to?

Stace - the poll isn't "closed" per se. But I would think that the people that wanted to vote have done so. I mean...maybe let it ride out through the weekend?

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, so my question is......

If CO is voted the highest (as of right now) do we plan for ONE LOSTie gathering in CO? (insert Iowa here if highest voted for)

No matter where it's gonna be, someone is gonna have to fly further, drive further, pay more, etc, etc...

So do we go for the majority and do ONE

OR have 2 separate gatherings???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well that's what I was asking. Just what everyone's thought were on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckaraszView Post
Well that's what I was asking. Just what everyone's thought were on it.
My thoughts are to have one (so I can meet more LOSTies all at once).... but (always a but) again it comes down to how much everyone can afford and get time off and plan for, etc...

So I say, vote for one place and one weekend and then those who can't afford the flight, drive, get time off could get together with other LOSTies if they choose to... Instead of planning 2 separate LOSTie annual get togethers... Make sense???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

If it's in CO, will less people come???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

My thoughts are to have one (so I can meet more LOSTies all at once).... but (always a but) again it comes down to how much everyone can afford and get time off and plan for, etc...

So I say, vote for one place and one weekend and then those who can't afford the flight, drive, get time off could get together with other LOSTies if they choose to... Instead of planning 2 separate LOSTie annual get togethers... Make sense???

Yep!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If it's in CO, will less people come???

Well just speaking for myself, I can't afford a trip out west this year, but that was case no matter if it were in Utah or CO. I want to, but I just can't. When I was pricing it all it was just going to be more then I could reasonably spend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here are my thoughts/preferences:

While I'd love to have 2 gatherings, I agree that it might cause more of a fuss. So I personally feel that we should just have 1 MAIN gathering. And if at this time CO is in the lead (which it is by 1 vote). Then I think the gathering should be there.

I, sadly, will not be able to attend. I know I was 110% planning on going to UT. I am so bummed that it's not going to work out. It was just very affordable even though I had to pay a big chunk in airfare. The CO retreat adds on a larger chunk of change. :( I am not saying this to make anyone feel bad or because I think it's unfair. I was just pointing out why I won't be able to make it.

On another note, while I do think there should just be 1 MAIN gathering so people don't have to choose between 1 or the other. I will NOT have hard feelings if anyone else decides to "get together" with a smaller group for something fun. For example, I talked to Leslie a while back and I found out that my Aunt Marsha in TN lives about 4 hours from her (and Alyson). And I thought...gosh, maybe when I head out to TN sometime, I could escape for the weekend to go visit those girls in Georgia. I feel that no one should be upset with me planning something like that. Right? And perhaps I might do that now, since I know I won't be going to the gathering if it is decided that it should be in CO.

So, in conclusion:

I believe there should be 1 Gathering, on the original date decided. And I will not have any hurt feelings if other girls that cannot attend decide to do something small on their own.

I think I answered your questions Cindy. Thanks again for bringing this out.

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Devil's Advocate then....

If only a few people can make it, then it's not an annual LOSTie gathering, right?

Could we choose another place all together???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's what I mean... like Edie and I were discussing meeting in Hershey, because it is the halfway point between the two of us. And we discussed making it like a mini stamping get together for us. But maybe Edie can still go to the gathering, too, I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

That was kind of my purpose for that 1st poll. To see who wanted to go to CO and who preferred IA.

Right now I think it's 7 for CO, 6 for IA, and 5 undecided.

Do I know if those 7 people that chose CO are planning on going to CO for sure? Nope. We'd have to just get a count of people who are in. And of those 5 undecided...do I know if they would go to CO 100% nope...obviously not. LOL! So we'd just have to get a count.

I think it's safe to say that we should stick with the original weekend of July 31 - Aug 3. So that's one less thing to worry about.

I mean maybe do another quick poll regarding: Would you go to CO or IA? And then let that decide the fate of the gathering? :confused:

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If only a few people can make it, then it's not an annual LOSTie gathering, right?

Well that might not be the case. Maybe several people still can make it. I just know I can't make a trip out west.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I see your point there. But by choosing another place all together...I just want to throw it out there that it's not going to be easy. The majority of these places book fast. And people book way ahead. If you are talking about changing the date, well than that affects things too. Because this date was chosen because it was the date with the most LOSTies available to go. So by changing the date...it could make the group smaller. Ya know?

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitter_GirlView Post
That was kind of my purpose for that 1st poll. To see who wanted to go to CO and who preferred IA.

Right now I think it's 7 for CO, 6 for IA, and 5 undecided.

Do I know if those 7 people that chose CO are planning on going to CO for sure? Nope. We'd have to just get a count of people who are in. And of those 5 undecided...do I know if they would go to CO 100% nope...obviously not. LOL! So we'd just have to get a count.

I think it's safe to say that we should stick with the original weekend of July 31 - Aug 3. So that's one less thing to worry about.

I mean maybe do another quick poll regarding: Would you go to CO or IA? And then let that decide the fate of the gathering? :confused:
good idea... Which one would you be able to attend out of the two?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I see your point there. But by choosing another place all together...I just want to throw it out there that it's not going to be easy. The majority of these places book fast. And people book way ahead. If you are talking about changing the date, well than that affects things too. Because this date was chosen because it was the date with the most LOSTies available to go. So by changing the date...it could make the group smaller. Ya know?

not the date, just the place... Just throwing it out there..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

good idea... Which one would you be able to attend out of the two?

Me? I would be able to attend the IA one because it's more affordable.

Like I said...I don't mean to hate on the CO place...but it's just pricey-er. ;) And when you add the plane ticket and car rental because it's not close to the airport PLUS spending money it's just gonna be too much for me.

Which was why I loved the UT deal...because while I had to pay a price for the airfare and car...I saved a great deal on the retreat itself.

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #19  
Ms. Brightside

Location: On the verge of greatness and the brink of insanity!

Okay. I've gone back and forth on this and now I'm making my decision. I think that it just sucks if we have it west and a lot of folks can't come. That doesn't make any sense to me. So, I am going to stick with my original feeling on this. I think it's necessary to have two separate locales. If you can afford or want to travel to one place over another, then you should be able to do so. Most of us have admitted that travel costs are an issue, so we should pay attention to that.

At this point, I personally don't feel comfortable having the only gathering in CO if no one except us gals out west are going to make it here. If the west gals only are coming to CO, then we should do our own gathering and the gals from other locations can choose a better locale.

That's my .02.

I don't really stamp much. I'm just here for the company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

not the date, just the place... Just throwing it out there..

Unfortunately, I still think that's going to bring up quite a few bumps in the road too, because like I said places get booked quickly. And I feel that I and the other people that researched places really tried to cover our bases as far as what's available Stamp/Scrap retreat wise. So while we had lots of options, they didn't receive the popular vote.

I don't know. I guess my point is, that it could be just as tricky.

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusColoradoView Post
Okay. I've gone back and forth on this and now I'm making my decision. I think that it just sucks if we have it west and a lot of folks can't come. That doesn't make any sense to me. So, I am going to stick with my original feeling on this. I think it's necessary to have two separate locales. If you can afford or want to travel to one place over another, then you should be able to do so. Most of us have admitted that travel costs are an issue, so we should pay attention to that.

At this point, I personally don't feel comfortable having the only gathering in CO if no one except us gals out west are going to make it here. If the west gals only are coming to CO, then we should do our own gathering and the gals from other locations can choose a better locale.

That's my .02.
I see your point, Jus. But I don't feel that just the West gals would go to CO. I think Maggie was planning on going...and I think Jess is bound and determined. I obviously can't speak for everyone. But I wouldn't write it off as CO not being an option. Ya know. But I completely see your point.

I guess it's just hard. I think overall, we are all just worried about hurt feelings. I hate that I couldn't make it to CO but I could make it to UT. And I hate that if we had one in IA and there were gals in CO that I would be missing out on meeting you all. However, I guess I will miss out on that anyway. But I just wouldn't want hurt feelings or a "divided" island. Ya know?

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that out of fairness, we should have one main gathering at the place that ends up in first place, whether it's Iowa or Colorado. Let me ask this though - have we confirmed that CO still has that weekend available? I know Iowa was checked on, but this could make a big difference in our plans.

I definitely don't think anyone should be hurt if a smaller get together is planned for the people who can't go to CO. There's no reason those girls can't get in on the fun too! I'd love it, if that happens, that it be on a different weekend in case I am able to make both trips, but obviously planning around me isn't necessary when we know this weekend already works for everyone.

If the main gathering ends up being CO, is there a chance those for whom Iowa is affordable would still want to book that place? Colleen, Cindy, maybe Edie, anyone else? I know the discount was for 8 or more people (I'm thinking of the right place, right?) but is there a minumum? Like can it be booked for 4?

And I'll bring up another question - I know Stacy, Tracy, Jus, and Rachel, and possibly Tammi, were all for sure going to Utah. Can you girls all go to CO too? Or does the change make going out of the question for some or all of you?

I know this whole thing sucks because we had a good situation going in UT where it seemed a lot of people could go, but I think it's good that we all talk this out and try to come to a conclusion that works for everyone or that everyone at least acknowledges is fair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjc820View Post
I think that out of fairness, we should have one main gathering at the place that ends up in first place, whether it's Iowa or Colorado. Let me ask this though - have we confirmed that CO still has that weekend available? I know Iowa was checked on, but this could make a big difference in our plans.

I definitely don't think anyone should be hurt if a smaller get together is planned for the people who can't go to CO. There's no reason those girls can't get in on the fun too! I'd love it, if that happens, that it be on a different weekend in case I am able to make both trips, but obviously planning around me isn't necessary when we know this weekend already works for everyone.

If the main gathering ends up being CO, is there a chance those for whom Iowa is affordable would still want to book that place? Colleen, Cindy, maybe Edie, anyone else? I know the discount was for 8 or more people (I'm thinking of the right place, right?) but is there a minumum? Like can it be booked for 4?

And I'll bring up another question - I know Stacy, Tracy, Jus, and Rachel, and possibly Tammi, were all for sure going to Utah. Can you girls all go to CO too? Or does the change make going out of the question for some or all of you?

I know this whole thing sucks because we had a good situation going in UT where it seemed a lot of people could go, but I think it's good that we all talk this out and try to come to a conclusion that works for everyone or that everyone at least acknowledges is fair.

I agree with all your points.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Let me call that place right now Jess. I will get back to you in a minute.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I see your point, Jus. But I don't feel that just the West gals would go to CO. I think Maggie was planning on going...and I think Jess is bound and determined. I obviously can't speak for everyone. But I wouldn't write it off as CO not being an option. Ya know. But I completely see your point.

I guess it's just hard. I think overall, we are all just worried about hurt feelings. I hate that I couldn't make it to CO but I could make it to UT. And I hate that if we had one in IA and there were gals in CO that I would be missing out on meeting you all. However, I guess I will miss out on that anyway. But I just wouldn't want hurt feelings or a "divided" island. Ya know?

I think also Aly and Leslie have said they are going to go no matter where it is. So if is decided one gathering CO I am sure they would be there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

And I think Alyson and Leslie are planning to go wherever as well, so you're right Colleen, it wouldn't be a west-only thing. If there are 7 or 8 votes for the place on the poll, there are definitely non-west coast people that would be willing/able to go there.

Well said Colleen - no hurt feelings necessary! I think we knew off the bat that not everyone is going to meet everyone and it sucks, because I think the closest we were going to come to that was the UT house, but I think we've all accepted that not everyone will be able to be together. :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

The Scrapbook Retreat - NO ANSWER. LEFT MESSAGE. I will report back ASAP.

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I think also Aly and Leslie have said they are going to go no matter where it is. So if is decided one gathering CO I am sure they would be there.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention them as well. So see...it honestly wouldn't be just the gals closer to the West.

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The Scrapbook Retreat - NO ANSWER. LEFT MESSAGE. I will report back ASAP.
Thanks! Way to get right on it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

For me, personally, I don't think I'd want to book for a small amount of people. I'd like to know we have the whole place to ourselves as a group. I wouldn't want to share my weekend with others that I don't know.
If I knew that it would just be us at the retreat regardless of whether it was 4 or 10 people than I would be cool with it.

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

UT, CO, ID, WA I'm there for sure...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

For me, personally, I don't think I'd want to book for a small amount of people. I'd like to know we have the whole place to ourselves as a group. I wouldn't want to share my weekend with others that I don't know.
If I knew that it would just be us at the retreat regardless of whether it was 4 or 10 people than I would be cool with it.

That's what I was saying about having 2 planned get togethers... Plan one main one and if people get together elsewhere, people get together.. make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thanks! Way to get right on it!

You go girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I just looked and it's a 6 person minimum for the complete facility. That's $480.

I wonder if there are 4 or 5 people that wanted to go, it could be booked anyway as long as the $480 price was paid. With 4 people that's still only $120pp. Not bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

And I think Alyson and Leslie are planning to go wherever as well, so you're right Colleen, it wouldn't be a west-only thing. If there are 7 or 8 votes for the place on the poll, there are definitely non-west coast people that would be willing/able to go there.

Well said Colleen - no hurt feelings necessary! I think we knew off the bat that not everyone is going to meet everyone and it sucks, because I think the closest we were going to come to that was the UT house, but I think we've all accepted that not everyone will be able to be together. :-(

Yeah.

I just want to see some LOSTies this year. I'd like to see as many as possible, but if I can't go to the gathering I just want to know that say for example, if I Edie and I go to Hershey as we discussed (and that's not to say that we are, we only just talked about it that once) and have our own stamping get together, that it's all copacetic (for you Jus ;) ) with everyone, and especially if someone else decides to come or whatever. Because I may not be able to afford a $400 flight but I can afford to drive 5 hours, ya know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I just looked and it's a 6 person minimum for the complete facility. That's $480.

I wonder if there are 4 or 5 people that wanted to go, it could be booked anyway as long as the $480 price was paid. With 4 people that's still only $120pp. Not bad.

For IA you mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

For IA you mean?
Yup.

That's for the uncatered option obviously, but the catered jumps up quite a bit and I think it would be fairly easy to eat cheaply on our own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default THE SCRAPBOOK RETREAT

Hey girls!

I just talked to the lady at The Scrapbook Retreat.

It IS still available. Here are the deets:
$225 for the weekend.
$75 extra for Thurs.
The deposit is $50 per person.

If 10 people go...the 10th person is FREE. Which means the group would get a discount of $225. (the $75 for the extra night would have to be paid).

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #39  
Ms. Brightside

Location: On the verge of greatness and the brink of insanity!

Quote:

I feel like we're divided anyway on the basis of cost. It costs more the further away you have to travel. No matter what happens, folks are going to feel left out. That's the reality of the situation. I would have loved to have gone to West Virginia last year, but there's no way I could have afforded it. Many gals out east or down south are going to find traveling to Colorado cost prohibitive. To quote Edie: It is what it is.

Honestly, the reason I didn't want to have it in CO is because I cannot possibly help all the gals who fly in get to/from the airport for either location. Both locations we looked at are a good hour from my house as it is and the airport is an hour in the opposite direction. There's no way I can be doing multiple shuttle runs with what is going on right now with my family. So, costs coming to CO is going to go up if folks need to find transportation. This was the reason everyone voted against coming here in the first place, isn't it?

I don't really stamp much. I'm just here for the company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Yup.

That's for the uncatered option obviously, but the catered jumps up quite a bit and I think it would be fairly easy to eat cheaply on our own.

All I need is some turkey lunch meat, cheese, bagels and cream cheese. And cake. And coffee.
Reply With Quote Likes