Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Where shall the Mayhem of Cakeapalooza 2008 take place?
Let's book the Gutter Bus Cottage in Colorado! 11 91.67%
Let's book the Scrapbook Retreat in Colorado! 0 0%
Let's wait and see if there are any other dates possible for the Scrapbook House in Provo, UT 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LOSTie Cakeapalooza - The Official Decision

Ok girls, it's time to decide the fate of CAKEAPALOOZA 2008! (Hey, that rhymed!)

Please read over the options and ask me any questions you have about cost, amenities, etc. before deciding on your vote. I'm not including every detail of info I got on the GBC for the sake of post length, but I asked her a number of questions, so can likely answer yours.

Obviously by voting this does not mean you have to 100% commit to going, but we're going to assume that if you're voting you are seriously thinking about/planning to go. It would suck to book the place and then suddenly only have a few people fronting the cost for the whole thing.

As you can see on the poll, we have three options.

1. Gutter Bus, umm...I mean...Gingerbread Cottage.
www.gbcottage.com
- $150 refundable security deposit due upon booking. She doesn't take credit cards, so if we go with this option, I might ask a few of you to chip in $25 each just so I'm not out the $150 for 5 months while I'm trying to finish paying stuff off.
- $1000 flat rate for the whole house and workshop from 4 pm Thursday - 4 pm Sunday. 50% is due 45 days before we go and the remainder is due 2 weeks before.
- Aside from a few snacks and a coffee bar, food is not provided - this would be done on our own and Justine has offered to make a Costco run for us. We would still each chip in a bit of money, but she has said she would cover a larger chunk since she doesn't need to book a flight or rent a car.
- Can sleep 12 in beds, but we could obviously sleep on the couches, floor, etc. if we had more people than that.
- Is about 1.5 hours from the airport.

2. The Scrapbook Retreat
http://www.thescrapbookretreat.com/
- $225 per person for 3 pm Friday - 12pm Sunday. $75 extra for Thursday. If we get 10 people, the 10th person is free, so we'd divide the discount between everyone. We still would have to pay the extra $75 for Thursday for the 10th person. Non-refundable deposit is $50 per person, due at registration.
- Food is provided. See the site for the set menu.
- Site says it's about 40 minutes from Denver, but that could just be the outskirts, not where the airport actually is, so distance could be quite a bit longer.

3. Waiting for Provo, UT dates
I'm including this option on here because people have asked about it and I didn't want anyone to feel that I'm not taking everyone into consideration. Right now, we don't know if there are any dates available for the Provo, UT house. We would need to wait and see. IF there are available dates, it will NOT be the weekend that we've all already agreed on. That would require revoting on a new date and reshuffling of calendars for everyone. I know I have already put in my vacation request for July 31 - August 4 and selfishly would rather not have to go through the channels to do that again. BUT, in the interest of fairness, I'm not ruling it out and if the majority votes for that, then that's what we'll do.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Let's give this til Monday for everyone to think over, ask for more info, etc.

Last edited by irishjc820; 02-28-2008 at 02:41 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #2  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,081 Likes on 861 Posts

I voted - GBC! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!

I'm here!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #4  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by BsmtScrapperView Post
I'm here!!!
But, did you vote! If you're gonna bring Ben, not sure about that! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey now, Ben is the Guest of Honor!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Hey! Thanks for the email Jess!

Unfortunately, I think I won't be able to come anymore. I would so love to come, but with the week-long vacation Aaron and I are taking I don't think we'll have enough extra money now. I would have to fly to CO and flights are over $300. My little stash of money won't be enough now.

I'll be following the thread and if by chance Utah is decided, I'll rethink things and see if I can make it work. I'm sad, but I'm happy things are going forward for the rest of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschoenerView Post
But, did you vote! If you're gonna bring Ben, not sure about that! :mrgreen:
I am thoughtfully considering my vote.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm honestly open for all 3 locations. This is why I haven't voted yet.

Either of the Colorado locations are fine w/me price wise. I haven't researched them fully for all the details. I will likely drive unless I find steal of a deal on a flight. That means I would have a vehicle and would help where ever I could with transportation.

I still like the idea of Utah for reasons of convenience (for me) and affordability for so many more losties(or so I thought before). I am willing to help out with the location. Checking it out and all the stuff we talked about with the Logan location. I'm open to selecting another weekend if that's an option. I don't want it to get crazy though, so if it's easier to stick with where we are on dates and go w/CO, that's understandable and fine too.

I'd like to set a deadline for the dates as Kris mentioned. I have to submit my time off in April for Summer, if I want to use my seniority for preference.

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say. Maybe you can tell me why you all like one or another and I can figure out which one I might like more?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm probably voting for the GB place. Are there restaurants around if we wanted/needed?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, what was the word on bathrooms and AC?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinAnnaView Post
I'm probably voting for the GB place. Are there restaurants around if we wanted/needed?
I still need to look into that, but I don't get the impression it's in a really populated area. Danna, the woman who owns it, mentioned a grocery store being about 20 minutes away.

As soon as we heard about UT falling through I started to worry that I wouldn't be able to try Sonic after being so excited about it, so I looked into it and there is one about 20 minutes from the cottage. So that's at least one option!

I'm going to search for places if we want to do a nicer sit down dinner out and I'll ask Danna for recommendations too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh, what was the word on bathrooms and AC?
There is a full bathroom on the upper level of the cottage, a 3/4 bathroom on the main level of the cottage, and a 3/4 bathroom in the workshop. So 3 bathrooms total with 3 showers, which is good. I was afraid only the bathroom upstairs would have a shower.

There is no A/C in the house but Danna said it's not really necessary. The cottage is 8500 feet above sea level, so it's much cooler and drier. I double checked with Jus to get her input because I don't do well with heat and she said it would be fine, and in fact we'll probably want to bring jeans and sweatshirts for the evenings, especially if we're heading out.

The workshop does have two window units because it can get hotter in an enclosed space like that. I'd imagine we'd spend most of the hottest sunlight hours there, so we'll have the A/C for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #13  
Ms. Brightside

Location: On the verge of greatness and the brink of insanity!

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjc820View Post
I still need to look into that, but I don't get the impression it's in a really populated area. Danna, the woman who owns it, mentioned a grocery store being about 20 minutes away.

As soon as we heard about UT falling through I started to worry that I wouldn't be able to try Sonic after being so excited about it, so I looked into it and there is one about 20 minutes from the cottage. So that's at least one option!

I'm going to search for places if we want to do a nicer sit down dinner out and I'll ask Danna for recommendations too.
You could definitely find a Sonic on the way to this place. I could point you in the right direction.

Bailey is a small mountain town. There are a few restaurants, but this is not Denver so there won't be many options right around the corner. Nearby, here are some places I have heard of:

http://plattecanyongrill.com/menu/index.htm

http://www.hogheavenbar-b-que.com/ (I've eaten here, it's yummy BBQ)

If you're willing to drive the 20 minutes down the hill a bit to Conifer there are more places there.

I don't really stamp much. I'm just here for the company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusColoradoView Post
You could definitely find a Sonic on the way to this place. I could point you in the right direction.

Bailey is a small mountain town. There are a few restaurants, but this is not Denver so there won't be many options right around the corner. Nearby, here are some places I have heard of:

http://plattecanyongrill.com/menu/index.htm

http://www.hogheavenbar-b-que.com/ (I've eaten here, it's yummy BBQ)

If you're willing to drive the 20 minutes down the hill a bit to Conifer there are more places there.
Thanks Jus! I think Conifer is the name of the town where Sonic is, so I'm game!

I don't think 20 minutes is bad at all - pile everyone into 2 or 3 cars, it'll be a blast!

P.S. Any place with the name Hog Heaven is a-ok in my book!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #15  
Ms. Brightside

Quote:

Thanks Jus! I think Conifer is the name of the town where Sonic is, so I'm game!

I don't think 20 minutes is bad at all - pile everyone into 2 or 3 cars, it'll be a blast!

P.S. Any place with the name Hog Heaven is a-ok in my book!
Hey Jess....I just checked the Sonic site and there is a Sonic in Conifer. Woohoo!!! I see a whole bunch of happy ladies drinking at Sonic!

There's also a Chili's there and some other chain type places. There's a Starbucks in the Safeway Jess mentioned previously. ;)

Last edited by JusColorado; 02-28-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #16  
Ms. Brightside

Let me reiterate to you all what I told Jess about A/C since there might be concerns. A normal overnight low for Denver (5280 feet) in the summer is about 65 degrees. You decrease the temp by 3-5 degrees for every 1k feet you add in elevation. So, if the GB Cottage is at 8k feet, overnight temps would likely be around 50 degrees. It will be plenty cool enough at night, especially if I bring a few fans from home (just in case).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for all that info, Jessica and Justine. I love the idea of cool mountain nights!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #18  
Ms. Brightside

Quote:

Thanks for all that info, Jessica and Justine. I love the idea of cool mountain nights!
I was telling Jess that I will happily arrange a short day trip to see some serious mountain peaks if anyone would be interested in such a thing. I know many of you will be coming to stamp, stamp, stamp, but I'd hate to have you come to CO and miss the scenery if you are at all interested in seeing something aside from the inside of a craft room. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 AM   #19  
Polar Bear Patrol

Quote:

Hey Jess....I just checked the Sonic site and there is a Sonic in Conifer. Woohoo!!! I see a whole bunch of happy ladies drinking at Sonic!

There's also a Chili's there and some other chain type places. There's a Starbucks in the Safeway Jess mentioned previously. ;)
if there is a Starbucks, Sonic and Chilis...that is all I need!!! (as a matter of fact I just downed my non fat white chocolate peppermint mocha and reduced fat cinnamon swirl coffee cake thanks to a sweet LOSTie who sent me a GC!:p )

Seriously, I am voting for the GBC, I think it is fate that we go to this place and think of all the jokes we will have with the GUTTER BUS COTTAGE! Only problem I have with it is the 1 1/2 drive from the airport, but that isn't gonna make me not vote for it. I think the cost for the entire weekend is great and Anna sent me some info on cheap flights, so that is good too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 04:22 AM   #20  
Polar Bear Patrol

Quote:

I was telling Jess that I will happily arrange a short day trip to see some serious mountain peaks if anyone would be interested in such a thing. I know many of you will be coming to stamp, stamp, stamp, but I'd hate to have you come to CO and miss the scenery if you are at all interested in seeing something aside from the inside of a craft room. ;)
oh I am definitely interested in seeing the sights too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 05:33 AM   #21  
Ms. Brightside

I know the drive after a long flight is an issue, but you'll have to think of it as taking a tour of Colorado and seeing the sights. I promise that the drive from west Denver to the place will be in the hills (which may seem like mountains to some of you given their height) and very pretty.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #22  
Polar Bear Patrol

Quote:

I know the drive after a long flight is an issue, but you'll have to think of it as taking a tour of Colorado and seeing the sights. I promise that the drive from west Denver to the place will be in the hills (which may seem like mountains to some of you given their height) and very pretty.
I know and I am looking forward to that. It's just that after a long flight (hopefully not delayed), I am just not looking foward to driving another 1 1/2 to get there. But it's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon & Alex's momView Post
I know and I am looking forward to that. It's just that after a long flight (hopefully not delayed), I am just not looking foward to driving another 1 1/2 to get there. But it's all good.
Hopefully we can coordinate our flights so that rental cars can be shared and then it'll be a little fun road trip to start off the weekend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, Alyson, I heard back from Danna about internet - she said they do have wi-fi that works in both the cottage and workshop. I don't really know what kind of aircard or whatever that requires us to have, but I'm sure either you or one of the other girls will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #25  
Polar Bear Patrol

Quote:

Hopefully we can coordinate our flights so that rental cars can be shared and then it'll be a little fun road trip to start off the weekend!
that would be great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #26  
Polar Bear Patrol

Quote:

Oh, Alyson, I heard back from Danna about internet - she said they do have wi-fi that works in both the cottage and workshop. I don't really know what kind of aircard or whatever that requires us to have, but I'm sure either you or one of the other girls will.
YEA! Glenn's laptop has one built in, but I hope to have my mac laptop hten and I will be sure that it has whatever it needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Gutter Bus, Gutter Bus, hey Gutter, Gutter Bus!!! WooHoo!!!

What time is everyone planning on arriving, departing? Maybe we can plan to go together, carpool etc...

I'm game for SONIC and a tour and HOG HEAVEN!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #28  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

That's cool! I'd like to hear something about that because I thought with Wi-Fi, you didn't need an aircard. I'm probably wrong about that. Where's our resident IT Guru?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #29  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphenechoView Post

What time is everyone planning on arriving, departing? Maybe we can plan to go together, carpool etc...

Hopefully arriving mid morning, but I have to check the airlines again and see which one I'm taking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #30  
Polar Bear Patrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphenechoView Post

I found a cheap flight on Air Tran that departs ATL 11:00 and arrives in Dever around 12:00. Hopefully some of you guys can find flights that arrive pretty much the same time so we can ride together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

That's cool! I'd like to hear something about that because I thought with Wi-Fi, you didn't need an aircard. I'm probably wrong about that. Where's our resident IT Guru?
I don't know your computer works, Maggie, but I'm thinking yours is fairly new. But I've been able to just jump on my schools, by clicking on it. It's been very easy to do that, and than come home and get back on my connection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I found a cheap flight on Air Tran that departs ATL 11:00 and arrives in Dever around 12:00. Hopefully some of you guys can find flights that arrive pretty much the same time so we can ride together.
Don't ya love AirTran. Maybe I can get a connecting flight out, and get on that same plane....What day are you flying, the 30th or 31st?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I would love to see something like that, Justine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

So, we're booking the GB house? Cuz that one flyer I have is good until 3-5, if I can book it, I'd be a happy chick! But I want to make sure before I do. Plus, I'm talking to Jeannie still, so she might need some nice words from you all about going. I think she's feeling like she's too new to think about coming. Her husband was cool with it when I talked to him last night. I talked to Liz too, but I know they're going out to see family, so it might not work for her to pull of two big trips in one summer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #35  
Ms. Brightside

Quote:

Think of it this way....we'll be at the end of your road!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #36  
Ms. Brightside

Quote:

If your computer has wireless connectivity, once you turn it on at the GB Cottage your computer will find the network. You shouldn't have to do anything special.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #37  
Ms. Brightside

It's a great day, so I think I will drive up to Bailey and get a look at the area/place and take some photos. They have an event this weekend, so I don't want to interrupt, but I should be able to get a better idea about the surroundings for us all. I should also be able to get a better idea about how long it will take to get there.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #38  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

So, we're booking the GB house? Cuz that one flyer I have is good until 3-5, if I can book it, I'd be a happy chick! But I want to make sure before I do. Plus, I'm talking to Jeannie still, so she might need some nice words from you all about going. I think she's feeling like she's too new to think about coming. Her husband was cool with it when I talked to him last night. I talked to Liz too, but I know they're going out to see family, so it might not work for her to pull of two big trips in one summer.
that would be awesome if Jeannie could come. Heck she doesn't have to wait for that. Isn't she an official LOSTie yet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #39  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

If your computer has wireless connectivity, once you turn it on at the GB Cottage your computer will find the network. You shouldn't have to do anything special.
that's what I thought. I'm planning to get an aircard one of these days so I can just use that wherever I go and I'll get rid of my DSL, but I thought that I could use the computer (and yes Anna it is fairly new - bought it before the Get Crafty gathering last year) if they had Wi-Fi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #40  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

It's a great day, so I think I will drive up to Bailey and get a look at the area/place and take some photos. They have an event this weekend, so I don't want to interrupt, but I should be able to get a better idea about the surroundings for us all. I should also be able to get a better idea about how long it will take to get there.
Cool, wish I were there. I'd love to go on a road trip up there.
Reply With Quote Likes